Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Striges
08.21.2015 , 06:10 AM | #5731
Congratulations, Charmedseed! Yours son has an adorable smile. He looks so happy. Glad to know you're both doing well. Welcome back.

Week of August 21, 2015
Souvenirs: They’re everywhere. Especially at cultural or historical attractions. Models of famous buildings or statues, clothing with maps or slogans, super-slick guidebooks, posters or postcards. Things for visitors to take home. But at its heart, a souvenir is a physical reminder of another place or event. It might be Official or it might be something ordinary that reminds them of where they bought it. It might even be a scar or injury. What kind of souvenirs does your character have? How and where did they get them?

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489991post=3 (we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining the prompt archive and story index here.

This week's featured NotLPs:
Exploration - You could travel your whole life and not see all of Earth - so what about people who have an entire galaxy to explore? What new things have your characters uncovered along their journeys? Thank you bright_ephemera for this prompt.

Altered States of Mind - Unlike dreaming, some altered states of mind happen while you’re wide awake and definitely doing things that affect the real world. Lots of things may affect the consciousness, from aggression-inducing biological agents to hypnotic music to spice to plain old alcohol. Write about your character’s experience with an altered state of consciousness. Was it fun or scary? Did it lead them to do something they always wished they could? Or was it more regrettable?

Got an idea for a prompt? Send me a pm!

Feldraeth
08.22.2015 , 12:59 AM | #5732
Hey everyone, this one's a little late. I lost all my free time this week between work and running operations with a bunch of very enthusiastic players. so without further ado...

Comments
Spoiler

Prompt: But I Won’t Do That, Technology, Family
Title: Cockpit Conversations
Perspective: Noctaire
Word Count: 1,719
Spoilers: None

Spoiler

frauzet
08.23.2015 , 06:37 AM | #5733
@Oliverthefighter: I like how this one went from normal to surreal. Limiting the carnage doesn't do much to soothe a guilty conscience, at least not in the long run. This option on Corellia will make interactions with other Republic characters interesting afterwards.

@Feldraeth:
re your comment on 'Greenhorn': I am tempted to say you didn't meet the right men at that age
Joke aside, I gave this some thought. First point, which is probably obvious, is I don't see my chars as level 1 anything. They are people who led a life before the start of the ingame events. A lot of ingame mechanics, especially those to maintain a balance between characters, won't matter much in my stories. Hutta wouldn't be populated by low level characters if it were real. The famous Red Blade for instance wouldn't be level 8 or 10 (?). Second point, I like Bond movies, I really do, but I don't think that's anywhere near what a real spy would look like. You can't do very many undercover jobs where you don't try to be unobtrusive about it. I am not sure yet, how this will affect Smilo's story. The ingame events provide some difficulties there. He might prefer not to leave (m)any witnesses.
I did meet a lot of interesting people when I was at about Thorns' age. Maybe one or two years older, which can make a lot of a difference. So, did I overdo him? Many of the people I met had a good education, which Thorns lacks. Should he be less confident because of it? Thorns took responsibility for himself and in large part for his brother at a very young age. He was friends with benefits with Iz. He hung out with people who were much older than him. He had good teachers for life. Most of his methods have been tried and been approved of by others before him. He's a smart guy and a good student. One of the smoothest guys I ever met, was a 18 year old who looked like 16, had an apprenticeship in a DIY store, danced like a young god, and hung out with people 10 years and more older than him. No, I don't think I overdid Thorns, not a bit.
If you don't trust Liv and I don't trust Zosh, we have everyone covered

"Friends never say goodbye": Being kidnapped seems to be one of Mako's hobbies
I like your description of Dromund Kaas and how it plays right into Mako's mood. Also the first subtle hint of what's following when Mako observes how Zul fits in. I was a bit confused in the middle, because you described the Jedi as being blindfolded at the beginning and I missed the blindfold being removed. Then I was shocked. Mako giving up on the Great Hunt? Never! But it's consistent with the way you see and depict her. The line separating the BH from their prey is not always very distinct, is it? That said, could Zul now please go and save Mako? You can't leave this hanging there...

"Cockpit Conversations": Yadira? Why are you doing this to me? How am I supposed to do Black Talon again? At least you haven't killed her in your story (yet).
I am wondering, not for the first time, what Jedi training for toddlers is supposed to look like.

@Diviciacus: At this rate Thorns' Skadge will be the only one still alive when the official posibility to kill him will be given, not that I can blame anyone. I always like Gault being Gault.

@Charmedseed: Congratulations! That's a very cute little Jedi. I am glad you are both doing well.
Author of "Trouble, Destiny and Other Complications" and the AU "Caught"
Participant of the "Short Fic Weekly Challlenge Thread!"
All my stories from TDaOC and SFWC in chronological order

Feldraeth
08.25.2015 , 12:03 AM | #5734
Hi everyone

Comment, this contains spoilers for the Agent and Hunter’s storylines
Spoiler

and now, onto the story

Prompt: Lost and Found, But I won’t do that, Answering Frauzet
Title: Interviews in the rain
Perspective: Mako, the bounty hunter’s daughter
Word Count: 4,695
Spoilers: early Dromund Kaas
Spoiler

frauzet
08.25.2015 , 02:02 PM | #5735
@Feldraeth:
Spoiler

I actually wrote something small for the current prompt. I hinted at this earlier, and this is the reason I was very amused when I played Rishi for the first time. The story was made for Thorns

Prompt and title: Souvenirs
Chars: Nat (Thorns), Iz
Takes place after Promises
Words: 511
No spoilers
Spoiler
Author of "Trouble, Destiny and Other Complications" and the AU "Caught"
Participant of the "Short Fic Weekly Challlenge Thread!"
All my stories from TDaOC and SFWC in chronological order

Striges
08.28.2015 , 06:01 AM | #5736
Week of August 28, 2015
Distractions- Some characters are more focused than others but everyone gets distracted sometimes. It might be the garden-variety distraction--an urgent message, children, colleagues, someone who desperately needs six pig’s livers while your character is on their way to save the world. Or your character might distract themselves--endlessly exploring Encyclopedia Galactica instead of completing their research paper, or obsessing over shoe details rather than exercising. This week, write about how your character--Ooo, shiny.

And, as ever,

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489991post=3 (yes, we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining these lists.

This week's featured NotLP:
Family - Dealing with a war sucks. It's already complicated enough, but family complicates things even more. Some of our characters' families are different species, or have different allegiances. How do they deal with the complications that family can bring? Suggested by Eanelinea.

You're Invited - Recently, we talked about the companions who don't make much sense on our crew. This week let's look at other characters. We meet many NPCs during the class stories, and only some of them get to join our crews. Who would you have brought if the game let you recruit anybody? What NPCs did your character connect with but had to leave behind? Did you headcanon them as companions anyway? These need not be from the class story. Pick anyone and write about why they’re on your personal version of your character’s crew.

Feldraeth
08.29.2015 , 02:32 AM | #5737
Hi everyone again.

@Frauzet:
Spoiler

and now, the story

Prompt: Distractions, alternate perspectives
Title: The Use of Power
Perspective: Roan, Kid Sith
Word Count: 3,443
Spoilers: Start of Dromund Kaas, contains mentions of previous fights from The Top Deck and A Debt of Freedom and a concept from The Price of Power

Spoiler

alaurin
09.03.2015 , 07:17 AM | #5738
Sorry folks, I'm a couple weeks behind with reading and the Index, but I've been busy dealing with back to school stuff for my kids, a sick kid, a sick me, and a flea infestation. I sorta forgot to dose the dog last month and paid the price, something that won't happen again.....trust me! Anyways, I do have the in-laws incoming for the long weekend, but I'll try to at least update the Index before they get here this afternoon. Commentary will probably have to wait until after the weekend depending on how many stories I have to catch up on. For now, I do have something for this weeks prompt. A story I cobbled together over a year ago for the laughing fit prompt and never finished. A friend needed a distraction from her bad day so I searched through my unfinished fics folder, found this, finished it, and sent it to her. She liked it and I hope you all do as well...

Title: Accidents Happen
Prompt: distractions, laughing fit
Character: Katrynka Vleska-BH, Gault, Mako, Torian, and Blizz
Setting: D5 Mantis, a few weeks after Why Didn’t I Think of This Sooner?!
Spoilers: None that I can think of

Spoiler

Author’s note:
Spoiler

Striges
09.04.2015 , 05:19 AM | #5739
Week of September 4, 2015
Violence is the Only Option-When interests collide, some characters resort to violence to get what they want. Even if you want to avoid it, combat is inevitable. This week, write about a time your character has to fight with another in order to a to further their goal. Thanks to Oliverthefighter for this prompt.

Night of the Living Prompt: Keep on using any prompt you like! Check out the list at http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489974post=2 and http://www.swtor.com/community/showp...=7489991post=3 (yes, we’re up to two full posts!). Many thanks to Alaurin for maintaining these lists.

This week's featured NotLPs:
My First - Firsts are usually special - first items, like Jedi and Sith's first lightsabers or an agent or smuggler's first gun. First times, like your first time connecting with the Force or your first time stepping onto your ship. Firsts can change a person and solidify who they are. Write about a special "first" in your character's life and how it shaped them.

Where are they Now? -- As our characters move through their stories they change the lives of many others, most of whom we never see again. The Force-sensitive Flesh Raider on Tython. Seh-run, the Abyssin on Korriban. Zi’am on Hutta. Paul and his elderly parents on Ord Mantell. That's just a few examples. Whatever happened to them? Did they became stalwart allies or bitter rivals? If they died because of our character’s actions, do they have relatives looking for revenge? We often remark about how characters from early on in the stories show up later to help or hinder our characters, or how characters from different class stories make cameos in others. How about some of these forgotten ones?

Mirdthestrill
09.07.2015 , 03:18 AM | #5740
I am here, all moved back into school and trying to keep my head above the homework waterline. I have the feeling it's going to be a rather sparse semester for story writing. But have some comments.

@Divi- A strill is a six-legged Mandalorian hunting animal. Mird was the name of one owned by a character in the Republic Commando series of novels, which I enjoyed. Thought it was a nice SW reference without being obvious or having to come up with the fifteenth iteration of "Luke Skywalker"

@Charmseed- He's adorable! Congrats on baby Ben, and glad you enjoy being a mother. Looking forward to seeing you back, but no pressure

Spoiler
I <3 alts!