Questions on Item Quality at 50

mfillman

Apologies if there's someplace on here explaining all this, but I didn't find anything in my searching so I figured I'd ask here. I'm still somewhat confused on the quality of Orange vs Purple gear. At first I was excited because I'd heard you could mod Orange items to be comparable to Purples with the right mods, because that meant I could pick and choose the look I wanted and upgrade it from there. Then I heard that at Level 50, there are certain mod slots you can't upgrade to purple-level quality so Orange items would never quite be comparable to Purples at max level.

I've yet to find a good item guide that makes it clear to me what exactly the situation is with Oranges and how good they can end up late-game. I don't intend to do Ops right away, I'm gonna level some more characters and just enjoy the game on a more casual level for awhile before I go into all that.... so even if Orange items can't quite make it to Purple-level quality I'll probably just mod them as best I can and make do with it for awhile, but I'd still like to be informed about this so I know what I'm doing. Thanks!

All slots in orange gear can be upgraded to 'purple' using mods but perhaps not the deeper purple gear that is probably 'raid' only. (Not sure if deep purple mods exist at this point)

Purple gear you cant change the armor/damage 'mod' spot but the other slots you can change.

Okay, so the Purple gear I've seen with 2 mod slots is the gear that can't have it's Armoring changed? That makes sense.

I know Orange gear won't be able to go into Deep Purple territory but as long as I can reach Purple-level quality by using epic mods on my Orange gear, that will make me happy pre-raid. Thanks for the clarification!

Okay, so the Purple gear I've seen with 2 mod slots is the gear that can't have it's Armoring changed? That makes sense.

I know Orange gear won't be able to go into Deep Purple territory but as long as I can reach Purple-level quality by using epic mods on my Orange gear, that will make me happy pre-raid. Thanks for the clarification!

Yeah, once you get to Ilum and Belsavis (bonus area) you will have level 50 repeatable quests that give you special comms that can be spent specifically for purple mods. Makes it much easier to prepare for hard modes and presumably the entry level Operation.