Smuggler "cover" question

heydiddlediddle

This is probably a silly question, but anyway...

I've been enjoying playing my smuggler a bunch, but the whole "cover" thing has been starting to get to me. I mean, sometimes it puts you in a place where you can't actually shoot the people you want to (never mind the fact you aren't actually facing them, different problem for a different day ;) ). Well, of course I'll get up and kneel down in a different spot, its all find and dandy then, but it just feels cumbersome. I mean a lot gets going on sometimes, there's all the going in and out of cover, action bars flashing back and forth, and bleh, those times I'll lose track of whether or not I'm "in cover" until I've pounded the poor little '4' key into dust. :(

Anyway, I do love my smuggler and everything, but is there a spec that doesn't require you to be in cover so much? (I mean that guy in the Republic opening movie, I seem to remember him bravely advancing into all the blaster fire... :D ). If there really isn't that's fine, I still love the class. I was just curious if this was something I'll have to just grin and bear or not. :)

Edited by heydiddlediddle

The smuggler has two advanced classes (like all other classes) and The Gunslinger advanced class is going to need cover for most of his/her abilities (thats why they get theportable cover system) in the other hand, theres The Scoundrel and his/her main abilities require you to be out and about shooting and hittng people in the back. While the scoundrel doesnt require you to be in cover you can still get into cover anyway, the cover mechanic also helps if you become a healer as a scoundrel.

Gunslinger = DPS only

Scoundrel = DPS or Healer

The cover system doesn't have to be like that, you can remove the move into cover from your quickbar and just click the mousewheel to enter cover (default setting)

As for the rolling, if that annoys you, you can change how it works. In preferences go to the keybindings menu (tab at the bottom) go to the targeting menu and change the cover option from 'take cover' to 'cover in place'

I mean a lot gets going on sometimes, there's all the going in and out of cover, action bars flashing back and forth, and bleh, those times I'll lose track of whether or not I'm "in cover" until I've pounded the poor little '4' key into dust. :(

Go into your preferences and disable the cover bar, then you won't have your skills moving on you.

Ahhh ok, thank you Camdenvv! That just made my day, it sounds like the Scoundrel would be a much better fit, will definitely give it a try. :D

I'll disable the cover bar too. Trying to make sure things were in the same place on both bars wasn't something I really enjoyed anyway. ;)

As for the rolling irishtim, it wasn't so much the rolling that bothered me I guess, as much as when I rolled to a place I couldn't really shoot things from. Then hopping over the boxes or whatever to get to somewhere better and kneeling down again. All the while poor Corso was getting wailed on while I'm bumbling about. :( (Cover in place sounds perfect though!)

Thanks again for the advice guys, it was very helpful and appreciated. :)

Edited by heydiddlediddle

If your problem is you just don't like cover, make a scoundrel. I made an operative (imperial version of scoundrel) and I love it. Also, go dirty fighting spec. You don't have to rely on cover, while still doing long-medium range DPS.

DPS operatives/smugglers don't use cover... they are melee... stealth behind your target kill...

/facepalm

True. My smuggler is a Dirty Fighting specced Scoundrel, and I only use cover at the beginning of a fight. After that I am extremely mobile seeking the best avenue of approach to my target, and staying out of cone attacks and area attacks. Staying in cover doesn't allow the freedom of movement a smuggler should enjoy.

I dance in and out of melee range of the target to deliver Blaster Whip (to gain Upper Hand) and use Dirty Kick for interrupts.

True. My smuggler is a Dirty Fighting specced Scoundrel, and I only use cover at the beginning of a fight. After that I am extremely mobile seeking the best avenue of approach to my target, and staying out of cone attacks and area attacks. Staying in cover doesn't allow the freedom of movement a smuggler should enjoy.

I dance in and out of melee range of the target to deliver Blaster Whip (to gain Upper Hand) and use Dirty Kick for interrupts.

Really?!? Is this why people think that this class is dead??? I don't play one but i do have one in guild. I have never seen him take cover ever! He is always right up there on the dps meters with mara's pt's and snipers. smuggler/op DPS as well as heals might as well remove cover from his/her bars and unbind the F key...you are a Melee dps

Cover is for Snipers/Gunslingers

The only thing that ever requires you being in cover is explosive probe and that is not always used... every other ability u have to be inside 10 meters.

Cover is for Snipers/Gunslingers

I have a 50 Operative and a 39 Gunslinger so here goes.

The Gunslinger (Sniper) I found to be a turret class who cannot do without cover. Your DPS out of cover is well... pretty dreadful tbh. :(

The Operative (Scoundrel) Is probably the most fun class to play. Run around in stealth, put the big guys to sleep, stealth behing the next guy, stab him in the back of the head. Booyakasha! :D

The Scoundrel/ Operative is a melee DPS and heals class who can do without cover, the Gunslinger/ Sniper is a turret DPS and needs cover to lay down any good DPS.

Edited by ChrisRedmond

As for the rolling, if that annoys you, you can change how it works. In preferences go to the keybindings menu (tab at the bottom) go to the targeting menu and change the cover option from 'take cover' to 'cover in place'

Both of those still role you.

I done this on my Sniper, if you go into preferences and keybinds, remove the keybinds for Take cover and Take cover in Take Cover in Place, then go into your abilitys menu and find the 'crouch' skill that it under smuggler, then just bind a key to that, that way you only crouch down where you are and still have ability to dodge ranged attacks, and you can still choose to crouch behind an object to get the 'cover' mechanic also.

Believe me, you'll want to do it eventually, rolling away from mobs or rolling into a group of mobs gets tiring after a while.

Both of those still role you.

I done this on my Sniper, if you go into preferences and keybinds, remove the keybinds for Take cover and Take cover in Take Cover in Place, then go into your abilitys menu and find the 'crouch' skill that it under smuggler, then just bind a key to that, that way you only crouch down where you are and still have ability to dodge ranged attacks, and you can still choose to crouch behind an object to get the 'cover' mechanic also.

Believe me, you'll want to do it eventually, rolling away from mobs or rolling into a group of mobs gets tiring after a while.

"Crouch" and "Take Cover in Place" are the same thing.

http://www.torhead.com/ability/cciVyHR/crouch

You can keybind the Crouch ability or you can keybind the Take Cover in Place option in your preferences. Neither roll into the gumby position.