Raptus Challenge in NiM tier

ZentheSecond

Tank Combo is a Sin/Jugg, I run hybrid spec on the Sin.

So I go in and do my normal thing, drop a FL w/ 3 stacks to get 4 protection stacks, pop Blackout, let it run its course (while keeping ward up). Medpac around 60-70%, then when I get back through that HP... Pop cloak, and by then normally the challenge has ended. During the medpack time, the Jugg is Interceding to me (and yes he guards me before going on).

Thing is, I'm really low... Like dangerously low sometimes coming out. I come out somewhere between 10%-35% in HP and I even kind of have had to use my Overcharge saber to make it through.

Is there anything that I can do differently to make it through this bloody thing. As it seems like tanking the boss itself is easier (granted I have not seen the sub 40% spinning phase yet), I just want to make it through both challenges and come out of them as high of an HP pool as possible. Since I can't relay on my healers being able to be out to top me off if I need to pick up the boss.

Only thing I can think of doing differently is swapping my medpac from purple to a blue (more HP, plus the HoT might help mitigate some). I am also considering replacing the mods/enhancements I have at 180 (or even 186 tier if I get them) with higher endurance just so I have a bigger pool to deal with this guy (Can't even believe I'm considering this... my god). I even get a bubble and 2 Probes going in as well... And its roug... Anyone got tips that has done it, specifically on a Sin/Shadow?

Tank Combo is a Sin/Jugg, I run hybrid spec on the Sin.

So I go in and do my normal thing, drop a FL w/ 3 stacks to get 4 protection stacks, pop Blackout, let it run its course (while keeping ward up). Medpac around 60-70%, then when I get back through that HP... Pop cloak, and by then normally the challenge has ended. During the medpack time, the Jugg is Interceding to me (and yes he guards me before going on).

Thing is, I'm really low... Like dangerously low sometimes coming out. I come out somewhere between 10%-35% in HP and I even kind of have had to use my Overcharge saber to make it through.

Is there anything that I can do differently to make it through this bloody thing. As it seems like tanking the boss itself is easier (granted I have not seen the sub 40% spinning phase yet), I just want to make it through both challenges and come out of them as high of an HP pool as possible. Since I can't relay on my healers being able to be out to top me off if I need to pick up the boss.

Only thing I can think of doing differently is swapping my medpac from purple to a blue (more HP, plus the HoT might help mitigate some). I am also considering replacing the mods/enhancements I have at 180 (or even 186 tier if I get them) with higher endurance just so I have a bigger pool to deal with this guy (Can't even believe I'm considering this... my god). I even get a bubble and 2 Probes going in as well... And its roug... Anyone got tips that has done it, specifically on a Sin/Shadow?

I haven't done it, but are you alternating who's closest? apparently the AoE does more damage to the guy closer, so not swapping ranges between each other is hurting yourself

I haven't done it, but are you alternating who's closest? apparently the AoE does more damage to the guy closer, so not swapping ranges between each other is hurting yourself

We were not as the snippet of KBN's post in the dulfy guide made it sound like the hybrid Sin could take it all. We may need to swap after my cloak out darkswell ends. The Jugg I was with just chilled with enraged on and kind of laughed at the lack of damage he was taking... So swapping might not be bad, but then both of us will have a bit lower HP coming out instead of just one.

I checked my logs, in many of our pulls where we got through both challenges I averaged around 1.2k DtPS from just Berserker Curse. Most of the hits were sub 1000 hits but you can clearly see when my CDs were off as I jumped to 2k ticks...

Our team hasn't made it this far, but for months my co-tank and I have been taking turns soloing the hard mode challenge (to make it a vacation for whomever is challenged, and help transition out of the challenges). In hard mode, it seems like the challenge is ~75k total F/T I/E AoE damage (pre-mitigation) before it ends.

Has anyone been able to back-out their mitigation in order to ballpark what the total damage is for the nightmare challenge?

Also, I have never run this in 16-man, but my understanding is that the number of people entering each challenge skews the objective required to pass.

Edited by Joel_Eisenlipz

Our team hasn't made it this far, but for months my co-tank and I have been taking turns soloing the hard mode challenge (to make it a vacation for whomever is challenged, and help transition out of the challenges). In hard mode, it seems like the challenge is ~75k total F/T I/E AoE damage (pre-mitigation) before it ends.

Has anyone been able to back-out their mitigation in order to ballpark what the total damage is for the nightmare challenge?

Also, I have never run this in 16-man, but my understanding is that the number of people entering each challenge skews the objective required to pass.

Its no longer I/E damage but K/E damage, specifically energy. Its AoE based still, and now its shieldable. I can take a guess at the amount of damage I took over both Challenges;

96548 Damage Taken Total. This is post mitigation.

120685 damage Taken Total, this figure is presuming I had 25% DR bonus via Darkswell/Overcharge the entire time.

156890 Damage Taken Total, this figure is backing out from the previous figure to what my base DR would be if I wasn't in Hybrid.

Somehow looking at those numbers I feel my math is waaaay off. Thinking about it though two things come to mind. The first is, its 2 challenges... So a single challenge is 78445 damage taken prior to my mitigation ability (not including that I probably shielded some of those attacks, so its all a rough guess of mine at the moment). The second thing coming to my mind is something in my log... I'm the proximity tank... So 2 ticks every second... Taking both of those into account... I could see pre-mitigation damage numbers being 75k+ to the closer tank and somewhere around a third of that for the further tank (so something like 25k+).

Here is a link the log if you'd like to pick at it; http://www.torparse.com/a/719094

The last 11 entries in it are of the Raptus fight.

Ultimately I would love to pick the brain of someone that has tanked this fight, especially if they have done it on a Sin/Shadow.

Haven't done the challenge myself, so this isn't a verified suggestion...It would work in theory though, since most of the damage is energy-based, I just don't know how much it would lower the damage exactly...

Since you're Biochem, Reusable Nano-Infused Absorb Adrenal(and then Blackout+ Intercede after it runs out for the last 5 seconds of the curse) for one of the challenges and then Reusable Rakata Absorb Adrenal(and then Blackout+ Intercede after it runs out) for the second challenge maybe?

(edited cause of Kuciwalker's correction)

Edited by OMGITSJAD

I just quickly looked through those 11 attempts. All but one of the times you went in for the challenge you got a single tick of elemental damage, followed by all energy--except for one attempt. That was also the only time you never picked-up the "Shared Burden" effect from the Doomed Captive.

This makes me wonder if the challenge changes (damage type) when a second tank enters the challenge. If you were usually the first in, but not by much, then this would make sense I suppose.

Would you have any way to confirm your co-tank's presence for each of these attempts (specifically during your 8th entry)?

I was not able to find the 8th pull in his logs... Sadly when I stealth out or one of us dies it seems I make a new log for the fight (makes sense) but its hard to determine it. I did find however one log of note from my co-tank;

I had stealthed as I walked into the portal to open with darkswell, lost the crystal before I actually got ported so he went in solo and died. And his log reads something like this (can't copy and paste well atm, making this post while commuting home);

22:43:24.445 220s Berserker Curse 4097 elemental No Doomed Captive

22:43:24.446 220s Berserker Curse 685 energy No Doomed Captive

22:43:24.943 220s Berserker Curse 7170 elemental No Doomed Captive

22:43:24.943 220s Berserker Curse 1199 energy No Doomed Captive

22:43:25.449 221s Berserker Curse 7170 elemental No Doomed Captive

22:43:25.450 221s Berserker Curse 2054 energy No Doomed Captive

22:43:25.937 221s Berserker Curse 7170 elemental No Doomed Captive

22:43:25.937 221s Berserker Curse 1199 energy No Doomed Captive

22:43:26.369 222s Berserker Curse 7170 elemental No Doomed Captive

22:43:26.370 222s Berserker Curse 2054 energy No Doomed Captive

22:43:27.050 223s Berserker Curse 7170 elemental No

Log ends with this kind of incoming damage, so he died pretty fast solo tanking the challenge. It almost seems like having two tanks is suppose to make it so the challenge damage can be shielded, but even with 1 tank you take shieldable damage but it pails in comparison to the non-shieldable. It certainly makes the challenge survivable with two tanks in there...

Edited by ZentheSecond

I know it doesn't help but hybrid shadow is the way to go there - almost no damage.

yeah I am going Hybrid, still kind of trying to understand the "almost no damage" but I think I have it worked out. I have very little concerns about actually tanking Raptus... I frankly think he'll be easily handled as there will be healers present...

What i do on my sin/shadow is when i get in, pop shroud first, once its off, wait till i drop to 70-75%, then i overcharge saber.

My POV kill from week 2 (running hybrid) kill

Granted, i usually tank with a pt/vg, and they are best to take the extra dmg with their self heals, but we've been using this method since week 1 and it works so rather not change **** unless its wiping us. The way we do it, the PT tank comes out of challenge at 90% hp and he takes the first force execution and i position the boss back into mid.

Ive done the fight as hybrid or full tank. Theres a diff in dtps in favour of the hybrid, but my healers say im fine to heal in both specs, so i just wing it week to week.

yeah I am going Hybrid, still kind of trying to understand the "almost no damage" but I think I have it worked out. I have very little concerns about actually tanking Raptus... I frankly think he'll be easily handled as there will be healers present...

OK you run in ALONE, and wait for first tick, then pop resilience, other tank wait outside and counts to 5 then runs in. When resilience finishes you pop blackout and battle readiness (that one after you have lost sufficient health). Also by that time you should have build your 4 stacks of shadow protection. Just keep doing your rotation to get the combat technique heals = you'll be on high health.

OK you run in ALONE, and wait for first tick, then pop resilience, other tank wait outside and counts to 5 then runs in. When resilience finishes you pop blackout and battle readiness (that one after you have lost sufficient health). Also by that time you should have build your 4 stacks of shadow protection. Just keep doing your rotation to get the combat technique heals = you'll be on high health.

Wait the cotank sits outside till just before shroud wears off?

Interesting... That would prove the most benefit to the group, as he would have 5 less ticks of damage to worry about.

So what do you do inbetween challenges with tanking Raptus as you cannot pop shroud during those inbetween periods as it may not be back up in time for this. Just eat the Execution damage without a CD?

First challenge I use blackout and an adrenal, second challenge I use blackout and overcharge as soon as i drop below 85%, then medpack in either if I need to.

Also it can make a difference to have the other tank guard you, I think

I like to save my shroud for the force execution as soon as the dps passes their challenge, as its a large chunk of dmg when healers are on the move and not at 100% output

Edited by Simmerr

So what do you do inbetween challenges with tanking Raptus as you cannot pop shroud during those inbetween periods as it may not be back up in time for this. Just eat the Execution damage without a CD?

EIther my co-tank reflects it or I eat it with blackout. We swap on every execution if we have to eat it so there is no risk of dying from followup.

Hmm i am wondering why ppl seem to have problems with the Tankchallenge. I use enraged defense when i hit the 50% treshold = 80%hp after challenge. My cotank is a sin. We swap positions after 10seconds. First i am nearer to the npc, then he. He pops blackout and thats it. Both tanks leave the challenge with more than 70%.

Another thing which comes to my mind is maybe your stats. Youll need full absorb for this fight. The attacks during the tankchallenge can be shielded so can all attacks of raptus. Actually i think the hard part of the fight beginns when he begins to use his whirlwind thing at 30% hp. Which oftern leads to 1 or 2 ppl dying.

Another thing which comes to my mind is maybe your stats. Youll need full absorb for this fight. The attacks during the tankchallenge can be shielded so can all attacks of raptus. Actually i think the hard part of the fight beginns when he begins to use his whirlwind thing at 30% hp. Which oftern leads to 1 or 2 ppl dying.

Protip: Phase Walk. He always settles back on the tank he was on when his cast *finished* and remains on that target for about five seconds. His second-to-last target has to run away for about 4 seconds, I think. We generally use Rescue/Extricate there. I don't think we've lost anyone to that phase (including the Driving Thrust immediately afterward) since the pull right before our first kill.

Regarding the tank challenge, if you're taking the brunt of the damage as a shadow/assassin, you will need to hit your Kinetic Ward/Dark Ward a few seconds before zoning in, otherwise you will simply run out of stacks. I still think my Vanguard cotank is able to take the damage better than I am though, and since I'm the one main tanking the boss, it doesn't actually matter how much damage he takes so long as he remains above a reasonable margin (~10%). He usually comes out of the challenge around 60-70%, while I come out around 90%. The only cooldowns I use in the challenge are Blackout, medpack and Cloak. There's no need to burn anything else, and sometimes I don't even need the medpack.

Edited by KeyboardNinja

@KBN;

That is very good information, I was just about to ask how the final target is determined. Now is he immune to taunts during his cast or just after it? Cause if he isn't it'll make it easy for the target to be me and I can just phase walk it. And for my own reference, after the first Spinning Attack is it HP based or time based before he does his second? I'm going to presume time based (roughly 45 seconds to 60 seconds from when he finishes spinning).

Now on a slightly off-topic question;

Why do I see a lot of Sin's going Hybrid for Council? They can't possibly be going the full AoE hybrid I can't think of many AoE's in the fight. So I presume they are going the Darkswell Hybrid (32/12/2), for another defensive cooldown for the fight.

@KBN;

That is very good information, I was just about to ask how the final target is determined. Now is he immune to taunts during his cast or just after it? Cause if he isn't it'll make it easy for the target to be me and I can just phase walk it. And for my own reference, after the first Spinning Attack is it HP based or time based before he does his second? I'm going to presume time based (roughly 45 seconds to 60 seconds from when he finishes spinning).

Now on a slightly off-topic question;

Why do I see a lot of Sin's going Hybrid for Council? They can't possibly be going the full AoE hybrid I can't think of many AoE's in the fight. So I presume they are going the Darkswell Hybrid (32/12/2), for another defensive cooldown for the fight.

From what ive heard that last phase is obscenely brutal to heal on NiM, making the rest of the fight look like a joke. Its all AoE there.