Conversation reply choices: paraphrasing vs. showing full text

VictorMike

Dear Fellow SWTOR players,

As you all know, the SWTOR main story content shows paraphrased reply choices when you move the mouse over the choice on the wheel, rather than the full text of what is going to be said. Some people prefer it that way, but I for one would very much like an option (that you can turn on/off) to see the full reply text, or at least part of it, not just a paraphrase. My two reasons for this are:

1. Allows players to choose the perfect conversation choice without the need to hit ESC and restart the conversation frequently.

2. Get around the problem where some paraphrases are inaccurate and don't reflect what is going to be said closely enough.

I created this thread to discuss what players' preferences are. Do you like the SWTOR conversations the way they are now, or would you prefer showing the full reply, which is something the new KOTFE conversations also do?

If you would like to see a turn on/off feature to show full replies, please visit this suggestion box thread:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=876665

(Yes, I created two threads for the same topic, but for different purposes. I would like to use this one to discuss the options, and the suggestion box thread specifically to support the feature I am proposing.)

I categorize this under: I do think this would be a nice QoL change, but due to resource constraints I do not see it happening...anytime soon.

You are right in that all too often the paraphrasing is inaccurate. And it might be a more doable fix to correct the inaccurate paraphrasing.

I categorize this under: I do think this would be a nice QoL change, but due to resource constraints I do not see it happening...anytime soon.

You are right in that all too often the paraphrasing is inaccurate. And it might be a more doable fix to correct the inaccurate paraphrasing.

Technically speaking, implementing this should not take that long. The game already has subtitles, meaning the text of conversations are already stored somewhere and are available during conversations. All that's needed is showing these before making a choice. With that being said, I certainly see your point about resource constraints.

I would love to have this option. My biggest gripe against SWTOR is the paraphrased dialogue. I can't count how many times I've backed out of a conversation, horrified, because my character spoke a line of dialogue that was different than what I thought I had selected.

I would love to have this option. My biggest gripe against SWTOR is the paraphrased dialogue. I can't count how many times I've backed out of a conversation, horrified, because my character spoke a line of dialogue that was different than what I thought I had selected.

Yeah, this bugs me:

1. I LOVE YOU!

2. Meh, you're alright.

3. Begone, foul creature.

*clicks option 1* OMG Companion I want to have your babies and grow old together and be all we can be and when you die I'm going to drink this poison so I can be with you and we can live together in the afterlife!!!

*0.o *esc**

*clicks option 2* Well, you were alright in bed. I guess we can get married and have kids. But I'm allowed to cheat right? Cause you're not all that great and actually I don't want kids, but if it'll make you happy, I guess we can.

*escapes and stares at screen*

*clicks option 3* I HATE YOU WITH EVERY FIBER OF MY BEING!!! You are the toe cheese on the athletic foot of destruction! I hope you get hit by a speeder!

*O_O stares. Sighs and chooses 1....*

Yeah, some things you just kind of wonder *** the writers were thinking.

I would love this as an optional setting.

I would too. Far too often the paraphrase is actually quite misleading, and the actual line is something I didn't intend to say.

At least a better option would be to just include the first actual words of the dialog line, rather than try to paraphrase it.

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm fine with the paraphrase, but I do wish the game would be a little more consistent about whether tags for [Lie] and [sarcastic] would be used. It's all too easy to make one's character appear a cretin, when you can't gauge the mood of the response.

"Jedi, can you get me a pint of milk, while you're out shopping?"

"A Jedi's limits must always be put to the test."

4 years later, paraphrasing is still ****.

For some of the conversations, it's not so much four years as *eight*. Plenty of the more ... exotic ... erroneous paraphrases are part of the base 1.0 game, so it's more a case of them not going back and fixing the paraphrases.

In concept (reality may exert its bad habits and intervene...), it's not much work to change the preset paraphrase to be something closer to the actual message of the spoken word / subtitles. In some (but not all) cases it would even be feasible to just splat in the subtitles themselves.

For the longer bits of mis-paraphrased gabble, someone would have to write a new paraphrase because the player says too much to fit on the dialogue wheel (remember that it almost certainly has to fit in just one line, and definitely it should work in 1440-pixel or even smaller screens at 100% global scale). But, of course, someone has to make a pass through about a million dialogue lines (three languages times probably about 300K lines per language) to see which ones need to be fixed. (Yes, I know, a million reduced by about 50% because it's only player lines and then again by about 50% because in most circumstances male and female characters say the same thing, then reduced some more because the Inquisitor says, "Murder and mayhem await," a *lot*, but even then it's probably at least 100K lines.)

I do find it annoying when I choose an option because it says what I want to say but that actual dialogue has the opposite meaning. My character comes across rude or selfish when I didn't want him to be. For example my Scoundrel only wanted to say he didn't have romantic feelings to the Mandalorian Companion, but the actual dialogue made him a bigot because he said he didn't want to be with her because she had horns. Just today as a Consular on Alderaan all I wanted to say was the Panteer didn't owe me anything when I questioned the statement of being owed, but the actual dialogue had me inquire how much financial reward I would get. At least I chose the option to have the Aligned choices marked, so I won't accidentally go Dark when I don't want to. Edited by Hadsil

• 3 weeks later...
Just gonna piggyback off this thread to ask: What do you do when a conversation option you choose wasn't to your liking? Is there a way to repeat a conversation without resetting the whole quest?

If the conversation option was not to your liking, but the conversation has not yet ended, you can hit Escape to back out of the conversation, and start that cut scene again. If the conversation has completed, then you cannot go back and redo it, short of resetting the quest.

I am fairly sure that there are/were (not sure if they were changed, it was some years ago) a couple of quests that bug out badly if they are reset. I cannot remember the specific quests, but I think they might have been Sith Warrior and Bounty Hunter class quests, so kind of story-breaking... I guess the moral of that story is to have your finger hovering over the Escape key just in case, rather than relying on the quest reset option :D