Make Huttball a Spectator Sport

gpwarner

I'm on the Canderous Ordo server, and there's an ongoing argument between the top two PvP guilds on the server. It involves Huttball, and each guild boasting about how much better they are then the other (among other accusatory things).

Then it hit me. It'd be AWESOME if they could set up a Huttball match, and us non-PvPers could fill the "stands" and watch the game. We could cheer for one team or the other, and they could settle this fight once and for all in front of all of us.

Personally, I'd enjoy watching Huttball matches, to try to pick up team strategies and/or class tips/tricks. I think it'd also add a bit of immersion to the whole PvP side of the game. It could feel like a real sporting event. Rooting for your friends. Jeering at the folks you don't particularly care for. Taking side bets with other spectators on various aspects of the game.

How cool would that be?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love this!

One of the great things about Guild Wars was you had the observation mode and could watch the ranked matches and other games whenever you wanted.

Good for picking up tips and strategies.

why not take it all the way??? its a HUTTball match, gambling is pretty much a prerequisite with anything hutt

let us make pregame bets on either of the teams, once our bet gets in , we get seated on the side of our team , add a rodian bookie on the fleet for it ! ;)

Edited by LaVolpex

If developing this would be a bit too much, I'd even like the ability to queue for pvp matches in spectator mode. We could be non-participants in the games, and invisible to the other players, but able to run around the map and target people to check them out, etc. not quite as cool as the first idea, and it might make some of the lag issues a bit worse. Might be something they could do with a lesser amount of effort.

That would be awesome. I would love this.

As for lag issues you don't have to have people in the "stands". If people can stream game play from their computers BW can certainly do it from their servers. A couple thoughts I have on the subject:

- Would be an awesome tool for guilds to help show newer players how to function effectively in WZ's. To actually demonstrate to someone with a bird's eye view how to position yourself for passes, how to control mid, how to stop fighting the ball carrier and his buddy in the end zone (pet peeve of mine, get back in the game guy!) etc.

- Something would have to be implemented to stop people from "stealing signals". Stealthers would have to be completely invisible (no outlines) to prevent them from relaying info to guildies/friends/ random people on their faction via vent/mumble etc.. This would have work very well or the gambling aspect would run into issues. Maybe only get an eye on the ball carrier?

-

Then it hit me. It'd be AWESOME if they could set up a Huttball match, and us non-PvPers could fill the "stands" and watch the game. We could cheer for one team or the other, and they could settle this fight once and for all in front of all of us.

This is an awesome idea. Even better would be if they let us put bets on the game. lol

Yep, my guild has discussed how cool this would be several times. Or have video links to monitors on the fleet where you could watch current games. Be able to make bets. And be able to vote for a match mvp at the end that gives additional valor and what not. Would definitely add to the game and might encourage some people to be less terrible at it and actually try to play the game instead of trying to be top dps being worthless in the pit.

They would have to prevent outside communication from communicating with the inside, which is impossible (mumble/vent/skype etc..) Otherwise you have extra sets of eyes able to give a team an advantage. ie a guy wanders off a node to fight someone, his buddy notices as a spectator that a stealther came up and started capping. Telling his friend so he could run back and interrupt the cap. Things like this.

They would have to prevent outside communication from communicating with the inside, which is impossible (mumble/vent/skype etc..) Otherwise you have extra sets of eyes able to give a team an advantage. ie a guy wanders off a node to fight someone, his buddy notices as a spectator that a stealther came up and started capping. Telling his friend so he could run back and interrupt the cap. Things like this.

Both sides could do this. And it's probably a non-issue for Huttball, anyway.

More Huttball and more Huttball maps please.

I'd spectate HB though I would much rather play. Only problem I see is the "fans" passing hints to the players such as where the ball is and if a ball reset is imminent, especially if such fans are on voice with their fellow guildies who are playing the match.

More Huttball and more Huttball maps please.

I'd spectate HB though I would much rather play. Only problem I see is the "fans" passing hints to the players such as where the ball is and if a ball reset is imminent, especially if such fans are on voice with their fellow guildies who are playing the match.

I thought cheating was encouraged :D

I'm on the Canderous Ordo server, and there's an ongoing argument between the top two PvP guilds on the server. It involves Huttball, and each guild boasting about how much better they are then the other (among other accusatory things).

Personally, I'd enjoy watching Huttball matches, to try to pick up team strategies and/or class tips/tricks. I think it'd also add a bit of immersion to the whole PvP side of the game. It could feel like a real sporting event. Rooting for your friends. Jeering at the folks you don't particularly care for. Taking side bets with other spectators on various aspects of the game.

How cool would that be?

That would be pretty awesome, I think I know the 2 guilds you're talking about too. As others mentioned it'd be cool to be able to place bets on matches.