Targeting an Enemy?

Screaming_Ziva

So there ARE keybindings to control various target objects?

• Nearest Foe, Next Foe, previous Foe
  • Nearest Group member, etc.
  • Self
  • Nearest ground object (i.e. loot/dead body/resource node)

Can those bindings be editted?

{I am having a hard time waiting to get into game to check all this out! LOL}

By default TAB cycles through your enemies and I believe CTRL + TAB picks nearest enemy. You can redefine these keys in the preferences UI in game. There asre also key binds for selecting companions/team mates and so on but can't remember those off the top of my head. Edited by umbralwarrior

I just use bindings like this:

tab- target enemy

q- target nearest enemy

e- target self

f- target of target

x- target friend

c- target nearest friend

Why I have target enemy/friend and target NEAREST enemy/friend buttons? Easy as healer I can check every friends by using target friend. Same when fighting enemy I can quick choose enemy to attack. Target nearest is sometimes usefoul as well. Target of target is most important for me. I can quickly target my friend who is attacked by enemy I have targeted and heal or I can instantly help nuke enemy.

Easy to use and not be confused as a consular healer on warzones :)

Yes, as mentioned, there are a number of target-switching commands. And they're all completely customizable. I've got a gaming mouse (Logitech G500 I think), and I've bound "Target Nearest Enemy" and "Target Next Enemy" (along with Toggle AutoRun) to my extra mouse buttons. I find that works really well, and it leaves my left hand free for attacking.

For some reason, I couldn't get the targeting system to work during the last beta weekend, but it's working wonderfully now.

So there ARE keybindings to control various target objects?

• Nearest Foe, Next Foe, previous Foe
  • Nearest Group member, etc.
  • Self
  • Nearest ground object (i.e. loot/dead body/resource node)

Can those bindings be editted?

{I am having a hard time waiting to get into game to check all this out! LOL}

Yes. There are keybindings for all those things (maybe not nearest ground object though, but there's area-auto-looting for that anyway).

And yes, all of those bindings can be easily edited. In fact, when it comes to group member targeting, healers will be happy to know that you can bind to each group member (ie, Group Member 1, Group Member 2, etc).

So "target of target" is like Target Skill Forwarding?

That is good to know.

I really like that.

Am interested to see how Assisting is implemented.

Simple- if you have targeted you friend and he will target an anamy you press "f" and have targeted same enemy. Then again this enemy have targeted your friend and hit him (you wana heal him up) press "f" again and have you'r friend targeted.

TAB button targets nearest enemy npc. Press it more times and it cycles through the pack of npc's. I use TAB sometimes but I like to check the option that automatically targets nearest target with just the push of one of your damage abilities. I find this option very useful because you dont have to press tab button, just press an ability and it targets nearest thing.

It's easier to turn on the auto-target, especially if you are using a character that uses Force Leap/Force Charge, as it will automatically take them to the enemy. Just go to the preferences-->controls and then click on auto-target enemies.

Rebinding the "Tab" key to another key is broken for many people (myself included). So some players bind it to something else and then it just fails to work.

Hopefully this is patched soon. I normally rebind "Tab" targeting to the "T" key, but it does not work.

Edited by Jnaathra

• 2 weeks later...

There's also Focus targets, which are good for healers. It lets you essentially have 2 targets. It's used in conjunction with "focus modifier" so if you target an enemy and have your buddy in focus, you can run your regular attacks on the enemy, and hold down the "focus modifier" key to direct an ability (usually heal) at your buddy without losing your enemy target.

For me, Nearest Enemy, Next Enemy, Previous Enemy all work. Nearest Friend works, but Next Friend or Previous Friend don't, and "friend" appears to include NPCs. Not sure if the NPC-as-friend is a bug or as-intended, but it's not helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
Rebinding the "Tab" key to another key is broken for many people (myself included). So some players bind it to something else and then it just fails to work.

Hopefully this is patched soon. I normally rebind "Tab" targeting to the "T" key, but it does not work.

Exact same problem for me. I've gotten used to using T for targeting and am very frustrated that it doesn't seem to do anything in SWTOR... :(

I thought I was going crazy trying to do this. I to have the same problem.

Would it be worth it to open an in game ticket?

I can target nearest enemy with tab, but most of the other optional targeting keybinds fail to work when I tried to set them. At least before todays patch.

Also F1 is supposed to target myself, but pressing it repeatedly will alternate target me or my companion. Target companion keybind does nothing at all. etc. Generally, the keybinds are borkered.

In practise I just run to suitable spot and use tab to target closest, or use mouse to click on enemies, or portraits when Im targeting my team for heals.

Also F1 is supposed to target myself, but pressing it repeatedly will alternate target me or my companion. Target companion keybind does nothing at all. etc. Generally, the keybinds are borkered.

FYI You can also use the Self Target Modifier key (Default is HOME). Holding this key down will cause your next action to be used against you instead of the target, thereby keeping the target still targeted. Great for self heals or buffs.

Edited by Owsley

It's easier to turn on the auto-target, especially if you are using a character that uses Force Leap/Force Charge, as it will automatically take them to the enemy. Just go to the preferences-->controls and then click on auto-target enemies.

It's a shame this doesn't work for all attacking abilities , it works when you right click on one enemy then it does indeed auto target through a mob one by one and even hitting another enemy near by. Wish it just worked from the get go.

Badorb.