H H

D D

D D

4)

H D

T D

T D

H D

While 1) seems the most natural to me, especially when splitting the group and when it comes to decursing, many groups seem to favor 2) which mirrors the 16-man setup.

Question especially for the healers out there, which setup do you use/prefer?

I mostly go with 2); this is just a relic from when Bloodlust only affected players in the same party. Back then, all DPS always needed to be in the same group. Also, I usually sort mDPS at the top and rDPS at the bottom.

Whenever we need to split the group into two, I go with this setup:

T D

H D

T D

H D

That way, the DPS stay in the same group but we still have the group split in two (e.g. top 4 players left, bottom 4 go right). I think this is a little easier to heal than 1) because you do not have to move the mouse so much.

However, now that Bloodlust was changed, there is no need to put DPS players in the same party. I have seen 1) a few times as well, but I don't recall ever seeing 3) or 4).

For 16-man, you can't really use 2) because you have 4 healers. Instead, I usually put melee DPS below the tanks in group 1 (preferably melees able to taunt), and healers get placed in group 2.

T H D D

T H D D

M H D D

M H D D

On some boss fights, like the city infiltration from S&V and OP 9 from TFB, I usually sort the group by their colors. That way, when someone messes up, I can quickly see who was it and call it out.

As long as your healers are able to heal the group, it doesn't really matter how it is sorted, but it is good to always use the same sorting.

Edited by Jerba

As a healer, I prefer 2. Because I bubble the tanks and myself on cooldown on my Sage healer, so I can go: Tank, Tank, Self bubble. As a Scoundrel healer I can HoT tank, tank, other healer (especially if Sage healer) easily, and I do my party HoTs going down left then up right. I only have low-level experience healing on Mando/ Merc, so no preference on that class.

When doing specific fights like DF 3rd boss, SnV Oasis etc, I prefer Ops frame to be set up into the specific groups.

For fights with cleanses, I put DPS without cleanses at the top of their column.

Edited by Kufuffelupagus

I really like:

T D

H D

T D

H D

Healing biases are clearer (when in doubt, heal X tank and Y DPS), as are things like cleanse biases and mechanical assignments (top four vs bottom four grouping). However, by those same metrics, the following arrangement is categorically superior:

T T

H H

D D

D D

When I first started raiding, I used the above. However, just about everyone in the game who healed serious content before Inspiration/Bloodthirst was changed is more accustomed to an arrangement with all four DPS in the same frame block. Thus, when I run groups, I stick with the first arrangement, despite the fact that it's probably an inferior choice overall.

I mostly go with 2) [...] also, I usually sort mDPS at the top and rDPS at the bottom.

Whenever we need to split the group into two, I go with this setup:

T D

H D

T D

H D

That way, the DPS stay in the same group but we still have the group split in two (e.g. top 4 players left, bottom 4 go right). I think this is a little easier to heal than 1) because you do not have to move the mouse so much.

The same, for pretty much the same reason. It's also a good split for Operator IX and we use it to keep track of which DPS is standing in the flowers for Writing Horror (top to bottom).

I know it's likely considered bad form, but our team's Healers really like focusing primarily on one tank, and by splitting it this way there's a clearly delineated team of four each Healer can concentrate on.

We use for 8m:

T D

T D

H D

H D

Unless our maras are specced into anni, in which case they go into the tank group. If I am on my healer I naturally always heal the two tank positions above so it is frustrating if this is changed.

In 16 man we use:

T D D H

T D D H

D D D H

D D D H

in 8man from old bloodthirst days we use

T D (guard)

H D

T D (guard)

H D

for 16man, most of the time it's

T D D H

T D D H

M D D H

M D D H

Only exception for that is Calph, where you have to have equally split groups.

T D T D

D D D D

D D D D

H H H H

Any other fight where you split em up, you can just assign group 2/3 (full dps) to a side and the healers can heal everyone.

Edited by Kadjunga

nowadays I'm most used to

T D

H D

T D

H D

for basically the same reasons KBN listed. it makes setting up cleanses and tank priorities fairly easy, and I actualy find it more comfortable then the setup that's supposed to be superior as horizontal block that is my primary responsibility is much easier for me to keep full track of and move my mouse around, than elongated vertical block of

T

H

D

D

almost the only time I do 16 man is in pugs and most pugs I've been to, like to use, what I like to call "weird *** raid frames" (its literally the name of the preset in my UI :p )

TT DD

DD

DD

DD

H DD

H DD

H

H

where they separate tanks into their own frame, healers into their own frame, and dps ends up being spread across 4 frames. I dislike it because not only it takes up too much screen real estate (I prefer to keep my UI very compact, leaving as much of the screen empty as I can, as it allows me to see more of the fight and do better at avoiding stuff I shouldn't be standing it), but its also very spread out, which increases necessary mouse movements and as a result, makes me less efficient. but... in the end its up to the raid leader, so I just adjust (and I don't pug anything above storymodes or outdated hardmodes)

Edited by Jeweledleah

I prefer:

T T

D D

D D

H H

When I'm scoundrel healing it just feels natural to apply my SRMP in a clockwise fashion starting at the two tanks. Then, depending on how much time I have I can choose to stop at myself or keep going around to the other healer and his two DPS.

It also helps for off-cleanses we can put the cleansing dps next to their assignment.

Edited by ML_DoubleTap

As a healer I like the tanks close together when I don't know exactly who they are. In my DP run they were switched slightly before Calphayus so it was

T T

D D

D D

H H

and we could yell at the person who split it 5-3. :p And had to get pulled by a Sorc to the right one the second time. :p

Things to note when setting up an OPs group:

• Watchman Sentinels and Annihilation Marauders will sporadically heal their "Group" of 4, so it is preferential to put the 3 other players that take the most damage in their group to help with healing, it is also % based so another option is to put them with the 3 highest HP players for the best overall healing numbers. Keep in mind that they should be kept OUT of the group for fights like The Infernal Council and The Dread Guard as their healing will lock out other players or 1-shot the tanks in HM respectively.
  • In fights that require cleansing it is preferential to put all the classes that can't cleanse themselves (Guardian/Jugg, Sent/Marauder, PT/VG) together, as well as those that can cleanse themselves in 45s-1m intervals (Shadow/Sin, GS/Sniper) to make it easier for the healers to decide who needs to be cleansed first.
  • For fights that require being separated into teams it is best to organize the group per fight to better reflect who is going where.

I put a lot on my healers. Game time is sporadic at best so unable to get a constant group going.

I've seen:

T T

D D

D D

H H

And

T D

T D

D D

H H

Both work for me but I like the first one more. Just easier for me to see quickly. Tanks top heals bottom. Deeps mid with mdps top and rdps bottom.

In fact the 16 man raid frame is similar. Though we will make on the fly adjustments as required. Usually group 4 is adds/weak side.

Edited by Liquor