3.0 unfair to Armstech crafters

FourPawnBenoni

Vanity is different from player to player.

Of course it is. And your point is?

The vast majority of new armour and weapon designs are released through the CM. I have no problem with this as long as crafters are also properly supported. But Armormech, Synth and Armstech have been thrown nothing but a few scraps with 3.0.

For Armormech you get two Trimantium sets which are identical apart from the colour (redundant since we have dye). For Synthweaving your get two Veda Cloth sets which are again identical apart from the colour.

What's more the Trimantium and Veda Cloth sets are essentially identical. Check it out for yourself here (scroll down to the "Similarity" section).

So, they just designed one new set of armour and cloned it into four sets across two Crew Skills. Lazy? Decide for yourself.

For Armstech, the pistol, rifle and cannon models are the same as those given out as PVE rewards, so aren't unique to crafting. Lazy? Again, decide for yourself.

In my view this is not a good enough. Not by a long way.

Bioware has always done a poor job in allowing crafters to have a niche. Each crafter should have a few competitive items they can craft (besides augments) that are not duplicated by drops or at least are BoP drops. They have so many equipment giveaways and BoE drops that crafters are not competing against each other, but against the entire player base dumping unneeded gear.

Its gotten worse in 3.0 since rep and crew skill vendor schematics have not been updated to the new level of gear.

Edited by MotorCityMan

I'd like to see them rework all the crafting professions. Most are largely "useless" outside of augments.

I hate to reference WoW as a comparison but their system for personal "buffs" based on your chosen professions would be an interesting thing to add to this game. Perhaps give artifice a bop color crystal that's stronger than any other crystals. Or allow armormechs/synthweavers the ability to add an extra enhancement or augment to a couple pieces of gear.

Either find a way to give professions a few more ways to potentially make money or give them all a unique reason for chosing them at max level.

At launch almost every crafter had a profession specific perk. Artifice could craft Rakata relics for themselves, Synthweavers and Armormech could craft Rakata bracers as well, and Columi equivalent versions of other pieces. And of course Cybertech had reusable grenades and Biochem had reusable stims, adrenals, and medpacks. Armstech had nothing though.

However, they didn't bother continuing that forward with new updates and slowly those perks became completely valueless. Except for Cybertech and Biochem, for some reason.

• 1 month later...

Aside from just making money crafting should also be useful and worth while at least that's how it's always been and how I also feel since not everyone wants or chooses crafting just for making money and that not what it's just about, now to those who preach and have this mentality of hey be happy or it's better then nothing should never be the answer or solution and anyone who thinks so honestly is a sucker and not helping themselves or anyone and in fact one of the reasons the gaming industry is the way it is. This is a business after all and we are paying for a product and have the right to complain and not only have expectations but to expect them to at the very least be somewhat met especially when we know it is possible.

In some MMOs or even games crafting is fun and worth getting into but in Swtor it's far from it and tends to be a waste of time or not even beneficial that's what I feel is the biggest problem and the developers need to do something about this. It would not only make crafting more viable but more fun to and worth getting into as it should be a aside from something to make money with. They could add so much replay value to Swtor just by fixing and improving on the crafting in Swtor and making it an activity worth getting into as it should be in first place. Only reasons I can see for the developers to neglect crafting like they have was and has been due to Swtor going F2P and gaining a cash shop (CM), in fact they even nerfed some crafting skills after Swtor went F2P and is pretty much all they have done. This thought process of thinking crafting will hurt the cash shop doesn't have to be a concern if they just take the time to come up with a good and proper design that would still be good enough but not hurt their cash shop sales which is possible if they bothered to try, but of course taking the easy way out and just nerfing or doing nothing is always the easier way out then trying to come up with a real solution.

Well, us Armstech crafters were barely breathing, considering how weak the level 54 weapons were last patch.

Crafting has been useless for Armstech/Armormech/Synthweavers for a very long time, where have you been?

You make barrels and augments, and also of course Mk-10 augment kits and you can craft for conquest and strongholds...

That's it, the rest is filler fluff.

This is not likely to change.

I ask this as well. I occcasionally got someone to buy that moddable vibroknife, but aside from that I would never sell anything else. Personally my comps use moddable weapons so crafted ones are useless to me either way.

Also most crafted weapons are U-A-F anyhow :p

The only non mod type crafting item I -ever- have sell is on my armormech, the moddable trooper/knight only heavy armor "Outcast" set, it is a very nice looking trooper armor. (Helmet looks very nice)

Shotguns. I buy shotguns for comps like Doc, because there are so very few decent moddable ones early in game, and really, at low levels, static pieces of gear are ok on comps. OTT, I can't see (aside from the aforementioned Vibroknives) too much market for static statted weapons.

As someone new to crafting, I can empathize a bit with the crafting side of the argument, however, seeing how a whole lot of crafters overcharge out the wazoo for items, I can also see the benefit of skipping crafters and just getting items from CM.

Seriously, the other day I put up a Level 31 Skill mod for about $20k, a competing crafter had his listed at 400K per mod. For level 31.

Yea, let that sink in a bit. Sadly, I see more examples of that on the GTN than not, and if I (as a customer) have the option to get something I want from CM, or pay some obnoxiously overpriced fee from a crafter...guess which option I'm going with.

Shotguns. I buy shotguns for comps like Doc, because there are so very few decent moddable ones early in game, and really, at low levels, static pieces of gear are ok on comps. OTT, I can't see (aside from the aforementioned Vibroknives) too much market for static statted weapons.

As someone new to crafting, I can empathize a bit with the crafting side of the argument, however, seeing how a whole lot of crafters overcharge out the wazoo for items, I can also see the benefit of skipping crafters and just getting items from CM.

Seriously, the other day I put up a Level 31 Skill mod for about $20k, a competing crafter had his listed at 400K per mod. For level 31.

Yea, let that sink in a bit. Sadly, I see more examples of that on the GTN than not, and if I (as a customer) have the option to get something I want from CM, or pay some obnoxiously overpriced fee from a crafter...guess which option I'm going with.

I'm not quite that bad, but I definitely overcharge for some low-level droid parts. A big part of the problem is that the way GTN works makes it hard to have a good market. You can't tell where supply or demand is at, and it is a pain to keep stock stuff that often doesn't sell. I overcharge as a premium for the trouble, and I don't feel bad about it.

But I do wish that GTN was better. Maybe if people buying could put out requests for bids, in addition to the selling side they already have.

Well, us Armstech crafters were barely breathing, considering how weak the level 54 weapons were last patch.

I was breathing just fine. Drama queen is being dramatic.

However, there was at least some use in crafting purple weapons for companions; and even a small market available to sell to people that wanted some weapons for companions.

I craft barrels for all my level 60 toons to start with. The 186 stuff is handy to have. I never crafted them for companions...they don't need them really. Blue 178 gear is all they need.

Now, the Yavin weekly award gives you a legacy bound Companion weapon rated 192; higher than any crafted weapon; and there is one for every companion if you plan accordingly with the Prelude awards. NO ONE WILL NEED CRAFTED WEAPONS MAKING 90% OF THE PROFESSION USELESS.

90% of the profession has always been useless. It was barrels and augments for endgame and barrels for leveling. That's still the case.

This award should have had a choice of two weapons, 2 mech armor pieces and 2 synth pieces; or something along those lines that would affect all of the professions instead of just one.

Huh what? You can get complete sets of 192 armour for companions from the weekly on Yavin now. Do you not read patch notes and such?

So we're pretty much down to just crafting augments and RE'ing raid barrels. Pretty lame.

Just like synthweaving and armourmech basically.

Of course biochem just got shot down as profession and just makes implants and a bunch of stims and such that you can barely ask credits for.

Artifice has hilts and enhancements. Oh and relics

Cybertech has earpieces and mods...I would mention armourings but they are useless now as it's the one thing that commendation gear does fine already.

So really all professions are very limited in useful types of items.

I will say that artifice and cybertech are probably a bit more useful than the rest for crafting but it's not too exciting all around.

Aside from just making money crafting should also be useful and worth while at least that's how it's always been and how I also feel since not everyone wants or chooses crafting just for making money and that not what it's just about, now to those who preach and have this mentality of hey be happy or it's better then nothing should never be the answer or solution and anyone who thinks so honestly is a sucker and not helping themselves or anyone and in fact one of the reasons the gaming industry is the way it is. This is a business after all and we are paying for a product and have the right to complain and not only have expectations but to expect them to at the very least be somewhat met especially when we know it is possible.

In some MMOs or even games crafting is fun and worth getting into but in Swtor it's far from it and tends to be a waste of time or not even beneficial that's what I feel is the biggest problem and the developers need to do something about this. It would not only make crafting more viable but more fun to and worth getting into as it should be a aside from something to make money with. They could add so much replay value to Swtor just by fixing and improving on the crafting in Swtor and making it an activity worth getting into as it should be in first place. Only reasons I can see for the developers to neglect crafting like they have was and has been due to Swtor going F2P and gaining a cash shop (CM), in fact they even nerfed some crafting skills after Swtor went F2P and is pretty much all they have done. This thought process of thinking crafting will hurt the cash shop doesn't have to be a concern if they just take the time to come up with a good and proper design that would still be good enough but not hurt their cash shop sales which is possible if they bothered to try, but of course taking the easy way out and just nerfing or doing nothing is always the easier way out then trying to come up with a real solution.

For many games crafting is a mini-game, and deserves to be so. Those are the games that I enjoy. Just because it is your cup of tea doesn't mean the rest of us need to be beholden to the boring mini-game nonsense to get the items we want.

Got to love people that ignore the point; which is our weapons are useless. I already mentioned augments and barrels.

Main stat augments are just as lucrative and so I don't see how this differentiates anything.

So's your armor. Armstech and armsmech are from the buggy whip days before modifiable gear. You get some bones like augments or barrels and that's about it. Quit whining and start making something people can use.

Considering how many classes now use the Overkill augment over main stat augment, I'd say Armstech has it pretty good.

Complain all you want about the 192 gear, but it's being reported that the droid parts are actually better on HK then the legacy 192 gear. Something to look into.

Crafters, your future is augments and assorted bits and pieces. Because heaven forbid they let Armstech make weapons players actually want, or Armormech / Synthweaving make armor players actually want. No, we can't be doing that can we, it might take away some Cartel Market sales.

Same deal with Artifice though. First like Armstech/Armormech we could make night augmented lightsabers that were in high demand... then they made it so anyone could augment anything. We still have cyan/magenta crystals.. and then the blue/black and red/black crystals... but they took crystal crafting away too by selling crystals.

Sure we can make hilts and enhancements, but that's a small market. The majority hat don't care or don't know that those craftables have better stats then the 60 basic gear off the vendors and will buy them over the inflated prices of craftables.

Got to love people that ignore the point; which is our weapons are useless. I already mentioned augments and barrels.

Main stat augments are just as lucrative and so I don't see how this differentiates anything.

Sorry, but no one has needed crafted weapons since, well, as long as I've been playing... I've used modable gear since pre-launch...

I'm genuinely curious. Did you actually have a market for crafted non-moddable weapons prior to 3.0?

I have to say I never even tried that on my armstech. I've only ever made money off of barrels and augments.

I did not think there were people who are dumb enough to buy those crap but ...well..i guess anything is possible in swtor...i think we should change the game name to "star wars the old republic : finding a new moron everyday"..

I did not think there were people who are dumb enough to buy those crap but ...well..i guess anything is possible in swtor...i think we should change the game name to "star wars the old republic : finding a new moron everyday"..

I imagine a few sold for companions, and for rarely used alts... and for very casual players at the right prices...

It is a thin market, one the GTN isn't designed for.

If you could list items for 30 days, it would be worth crafting some of those items, but having to relist every 2 days? Naa...