Hardmode "manners"

Oh and I wish forum names revealed peeps ingame names so I could addignore the elitist pr*cks in this thread lol. Looks to me like game is very srs bsns for them.......

Me too. So I could ignore all the entitled care bears who think their preferred style of play is somehow better or more important than the people there for the 40th time.

The game system permits speed runs and skipping. It also permits watching every CS, clearing every mob, and killing every boss. BioWare has made no explicit comment about a "right" way to play, so majority rules. If you don't like the majority rule, leave. I do.

I will help any newbie who EXPLICITLY STATES THEIR NEWNESS AT THE START. We were all new once and there is nothing wrong with that. If they are hopelessly incompetent, there are limits to my patience, but it takes a lot of derp to reach those limits.

I will vote kick any scrub who doesn't and slows down a crappy HM FP with their incompetence. They are inconveniencing three other people, and that's simply not fair to the group. If they didn't feel it was basic decency to alert the group to their inexperience, I don't think it's basic decency to keep them around.

I will vote kick anyone who watches CSs in hard modes, especially if they make some banal comment about it. If everyone wants to watch them I will leave. I don't want to waste my time, and someone else with more interest in CSs or more time available to them is more than welcome to my spot. If I happen to be a tank or healer and there's no fast replacement, it's not my fault that more people don't choose to fill that role.

Being sensitive to the value of others' time should prompt skipping (of trash, trash bosses, and CSs) to be everyone's default position in group finder. If you want to do things the slow way, use general chat to build a group (since 75% of eligible players are on the Fleet in any case, and the ones elsewhere are probably more inteested in doing something else) and then flag when you have 4. You're guaranteed not to have complaints about the time it takes or fighting non-essential enemies.

Edited by Omophorus

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly OP,I'm with you. Some people in this game are just wanting to rush through everything and expect everything to be done at lightning pace. To the posters who give you the "I've been playing since Beta,I'm bored of the FP's" stuff,I've been playing since Beta,and still like to clear everything and have no problem waiting,even wiping if it helps a person fresh to 50 experience the full game,wipes and all,like all of us TOR veterans had the chance to.

It's not inconsiderate of you to not know the flashpoint,or to now know their going to skip mobs which really IMO should not be done,but that's another complaint :p. You simply didn't know,not your fault. We as long term players should be doing our utmost to help new people as one day these could be the guys healing us in a raid,or helping in pvp. So sod the rude people,and just try and crack on,their are good players out there who understand not everyone has played since day one. And to the people saying it's a waste of time killing trash etc,lets face it,most of our time is stood on fleet waiting for nothing in particular to happen until raid time.

Edited by Fallenenjeru

We are playing a MMO, not your single player game.

If you are new to a FP and need help/advice - ask.

If other are too fast and you can't keep up - ask.

If you wipe your group - say sorry.

If you want to watch cutscene - ask.

If majority in your group don't want to play your way ( watch cs/skip ) - either follow them or leave to find another group.

However, if you was kicked a lot of time, then something is wrong at your end. We are all newbie once, but whinning about others won't help you improve.

So this is a bit of a rant:

(SHORT VERSION AT BOTTOM)

Today i spent a total of 5 hours waiting for flashpoint groups to join and do hard mode stuff.

I managed to get into 9 Flashpoint groups and it seems to me i find the few people that should not play games.

they are:

A: inconsiderate

B: Ignorant

C: Uncooperative

D: Whiny

Now i will describe one story which drew the line for me:

I joined a flashpoint group which seemed to be going pretty smooth, but no one seemed to talk and i just got a feeling of awkwardness and tension.

they skipped by alot of enemies without telling me which threw me off a bit because ive always tackled every enemy in the way. but it didnt matter much because i was far enough back to react to this. I got caught up on a cliff and they just kept going. Now isnt it common courtesy to help group-mates out?

so after getting un-stuck, i rushed to catch up, and i managed to accidently cause an attack on myself and i ran towards my group for help. a person in the group right away said "dont run towards us" now... isnt the whole point of a team effort to help each-other out? so i decided to dis-regard what they were saying and run towards them for help.

to shorten, we ended up dying and respawning back to the start. not too far from where we died. two group mates immediately trashed my actions saying "they should force people to play these before doing hardmode". that irked me a bit and i felt bad. another thing that ticked me off, is that no matter what, i like to enjoy the convo-cinematics and i will listen to the characters talk. during this, one anxious groupmate kept spamming "SPACEBAR! HIT THE F****** SPACEBAR!". And after the convo said "they should just remove story stuff from hard mode... saves on time to rush through". pretty ignorant and self-serving, huh?

and to finish, i accidentally pulled 3-4 very easy (like 3000 hp) droids over and got yelled at for pulling enemies to them because i needed help. then after that fight, i was voted to be kicked out.

So since i hit 50 for the first time yesterday, i have attempted to do hard mode flashpoints and never completed one because i keep finding these types of people who are insanely competitive. i have gotten kicked every single time because of things i have no control over. and so what if i want to listen to a convo? im interested and the people can wait like one minute. not that bad.

SHORT VERSION:

Im tired of how stuck-up people are during hard-mode flashpoints. worrying about for fast to get through a convo, or about accidentally pulling a few enemies to the group for help. and i get kicked for all these dumb reasons

So what im saying here is, do you agree with this arrogant play-style? or do you think there should be more co-operative-ness (i know thats not a word) in these hard-mode flashpoints?

i can honestly say i'd like to think people are nicer than this but im about to give up on humanity over this

I don't think its your fault if you don't know which enemies to skip, if you lose the tank and don't know how the group skipped a particular area however it is your responsibility to ask. If the group gets offended or yells at you then they are jerks and it isn't your fault. If you try to guess your way and don't ask and pull a bunch of mobs to the group then it is your fault. Not saying you didn't ask, just saying how I would interpret these situations.

The reason why they told you not to run toward them is maybe they weren't in combat so they thought if you just died they wouldn't and they would save a repair bill. I could understand this argument if this was the case. If it was the case where it was just a few mobs that you can't take on your own but the group could (2 silvers and 1-2 golds or something similar) then I believe the group should have helped you out. Accidental pulls happen, at some point or another everyone will mess up, if someone pulls an easy group I might sigh and laugh, give them a hard time about it jokingly, and then move on. As long as you didn't go out of your way to aggro them its not a big deal.

As far as the convos it is what it is. Common courtesy right now is skip the convos by spacebaring since most people have seen them many times already. You can always ask if its ok if you watch the cut scenes before and if the group says its ok then you're good. Otherwise I'm sorry but its the old saying "time is money" and by watching the cutscenes you are wasting everyone elses time. At this point if you want to watch the cutscenes it is up to you to do it in story mode or look them up on youtube. If I am in a hardmode and one person is watching cutscenes I might say something like "spacebar please" or "skip the cutscenes please." If they immediately jumped to "SPACEBAR! HIT THE F****** SPACEBAR!" then they are simply jerks.

When I started doing flashpoints I had never done before I would start by looking up videos and the boss mechanics online so I had a general idea. Then when I got into the flashpoint right away I would say "I've never done this one before, please give me a heads up on any tricks." I'm not trying to be rude in anyway, I'm just stating what I believe to be politeness and common courtesy in flashpoints.

so much whining...people don't do hardmodes to spend their entire night wiping or wasting time...hit the spacebar, do your job, and finish it as soon as possible...if you are there to sniff flowers, look at double rainbows, and take a nap in the grass then I suggest you go play hello kitty island adventure.

You are incompetent. YOU wiped the group. Justify that one. And yes, YOU are in control of your character. YOU got stuck. YOUR fault.

And I know it's a game. I love this game. I have a blast playing it. Untill people like you show up in group finder. Just like you're bashing the players in GF and me on the forums; there are just as many threads trashing noobs who make GF miserable: people who wipe us, people who watch story lines, people who don't know how to skip...all you "weak links". I run the GF for the BH comms for the Hazmat implants/earpieces for my companions. So I do have reason to run them and want them done with out people costing me money for repairs

There are other people playing this game and enjoying it as well. If you don't want to group with people you consider "weak links", then don't use group finder and only play with your elite friends. Anyone not in your circle of elites don't want to play with an ******e like you either. It works both ways.

so much whining...people don't do hardmodes to spend their entire night wiping or wasting time...hit the spacebar, do your job, and finish it as soon as possible...if you are there to sniff flowers, look at double rainbows, and take a nap in the grass then I suggest you go play hello kitty island adventure.

No one is sniffing flowers...everyone will usually try to accomodate if the party wants to finish the run quick and smooth, but no one wanted to wait for the OP and that is just sloppy as hell. The best way to get through it quickest way possible is to at least try and make sure everyone is keeping to one pace instead running off and doing you're own thing which kills a group faster than anything. Otherwise, you have to wait the queue to pop again if you vote kick or disband.

That is how group finder works, sometimes you get people of varying skill levels and gear.

Edited by Knightsire

I wasn't trying to whine. I was merely trying to share my experience and what I choose to do to avoid what I personally don't wish to deal with. No flower smelling or rainbow watching required.

So much whining from the people if someone actually wants to watch the cinematics BW used quite much effort to create or actually use their characters' abilities to defeat the enemies.

If you are there to avoid every possible enemy and jump over platforms, go and play Mario-games!

You are incompetent. YOU wiped the group. Justify that one. And yes, YOU are in control of your character. YOU got stuck. YOUR fault.

YOU sir, are my hero.

Nobody that's doing these HM FP's for black hole comms wants to be stuck with someone that wants to listen to the story or pull every boss when you can skip them. It's just a hassle, but it can be avoided. Just press the button towards the bottom of the keyboard, it's a big rectangle. You can't miss it.

We as long term players should be doing our utmost to help new people as one day these could be the guys healing us in a raid,or helping in pvp. So sod the rude people,and just try and crack on,their are good players out there who understand not everyone has played since day one. And to the people saying it's a waste of time killing trash etc,lets face it,most of our time is stood on fleet waiting for nothing in particular to happen until raid time.

must be sad for you, even if im hanging out on the i have fun with general chat. but most of the time is leveling alts and watching their storyline and i have 3imp toons and 5 republic toons so watching sm fp cs is usually a bored as i seen every choice a ton, but it maybe their first so im not bugged by it. when it comes to HM FP they should of watched pretty much all of them(illum FE aside). i have no problem with getting stuck once maybe twice. but doing all the mobs is a bit much and not really needed. if u don't know the fp say something before u get far into the fp.

oh @DSpectre it sounds like u are doing something wrong if u are getting kicked that much and i would kick u as u most likely are the drain on my healing and would actually help me heal the rest alot better and find a dps who could help out the group rather then being dead weight for everyone else.

Nobody that's doing these HM FP's for black hole comms wants to be stuck with someone that wants to listen to the story or pull every boss when you can skip them.

YOU buddy(I don't call you sir because you clearly aren't worth the title) are utterly wrong with your assumptions :D There are quite many people around who actually like the voiced conversations and like to see how their character, in which's creation some people have spent quite much time, talks and interacts with the world, even though some of them just do the HM FPs for comms! I have a char who cannot get any gear upgrades from HM FPs but I still do 1-2 of them on daily basis and I'm more than okey to watch conversations, kill all bosses and most of the thrash too, even on Black Talon/Esseles. I also have many people on my friends-list who like the same, although I have even more people like YOU on my ignore-list...

Edited by Zamppa

same people complaining about not being allowed to watch cutscenes will be back here in a few weeks complaining new people aren't hitting space bar

it's a circle of life thing in swtor!

let me know how you feel about cutscenes after black talon #10893021930293021039210857

Except Esseles (and the Imperial variant) the requests for skipping cutscenes are exaggerated. that extra 1 minute loss is not big, the cutscenes are only a big factor in Esseles otherwise I would not pressure anyone nor would respond well to outside pressure about cutscene skipping.

Also it is absurd to expect people to do their utmost to help you, you gotta reap any help people are gonna give you it's not gonna come near your feet on a silver platter.

You know what...it happens! You just need to learn from your mistakes and adjust your play style for HM content. Most HM content, people like to skip bosses. Why? Because they have probably run the SM version and HM version hundreds of times across countless toons.

Example: I have 16 toons across 2 servers. 4 level 50 toons. My highest geared toon is currently in almost full Campaign gear. My 2nd and 3rd highest level 50 toons in almost full Columi with Campaign/dread guard gear. How did I get that gear? Running the same dailies, FP's, and Ops across all of them. ALL. OF. THEM. For close to 13 months now.

My point? I now just want to rush through most FP's and get the content done. I hate slowing down for other people and hate even more when other people have to slow down for me. I know there are so many personalities in this game that when I play, I don't want to be a burden on people and don't want people to burden me down. It doesn't mean I won't help. If you ask to fight certain bosses for drops, I have no issue. If you ask to *need* on certain gear, no issue. If it's a HM FP and you are listening to every cut scene...I'm giving a few warnings and them I'm leaving. Not to be mean, but because It's boring just sitting there waiting on one other player to listen to cut scenes. I had someone do this on HM Esseles. I was tanking and I asked if we could skip cut scenes for such an already long FP. Healer and DPS agreed. Lowest geared dps however kept choosing to listen to cut scenes. After he died a bunch of times (hp was around 13k) and he kept not wanting to spacebar, I apologized to the group and advised them I was leaving. Healer did too and actually left before me lol.

Point is, and this is to anyone playing, not just slow players...you have to be considerate of everyone you are playing with. Not everyone has the time to wait on slow people, or pull aggro from every mob, or fight every boss, or listen to every cut scene. Some of us are casual players who come on just to run a few dailies, FPs and Ops to keep our gear current. Some of us (like me) are on every day, 4-5 hours at a time but want to get through FPs and Ops quickly to get on one of our other 15 alts lol. No reason ever to be a douche to anyone but also no reason to not be considerate either.

Really? You pulled trash mobs and didn't skip cinematics in a HM? Now, kicking you might have been a bit over the top, but generally people have done these FPs over and over again and feel that you are wasting their time which is fair enough. It's common courtesy to skip trash and cutscenes in a HM. If you haven't done a FP and want to see the story then run it non-HM. If you do as I have suggested, people will suddenly seem a whole lot nicer.

So much whining from the people if someone actually wants to watch the cinematics BW used quite much effort to create or actually use their characters' abilities to defeat the enemies.

If you are there to avoid every possible enemy and jump over platforms, go and play Mario-games!

If you have done it once thats enough...spacebar thereafter. First time through I probably wouldnt have a problem but if the guy not spacebarring and not skipping is in rakata or higher gear and has done it before I'm gonna just vote kick from the group and find someone who isn't going to waste my time. I don't pay for other people to hold me up. When the queue pops its time to do work and do it fast and efficiently.

I wasn't actually going to reply but then I kept reading and reading and now I just HAVE to reply heh. Anyways most of the people have hit the nail on the head. The MAJORITY of players that run HM FP's have done them dozens if not hundreds of times. I myself am a casual gamer. I play when I have time, that said I have three 50's, two imp side and 1 pub side and am working on my 4th. Not asking for kudos just making a point that others have raised. Yes, manners go a longgggg way. Yes some of us (me included) pay for the game every month (Been subbed since early access and will stay that way). Yes I too get bored with watching cut-scenes and pulling EVERY mob to swipe down.

But here is the thing and this is the best damn advice I or anyone else can give you. If you want to watch and enjoy cut-scenes, pull mobs, beat every boss, do EVERYTHING in a flashpoint that most of us have done time and time again on SM, then do it. But do it with a group you get to know and knows enjoy that sort of play style. Don't bog down a PUG group with YOUR needs. PUG groups always go with majority votes. If you can't get along with that, then don't do a PUG group, find your own group and play only with them. I used to run with a solid group of about 8 people. We would pug the rest for ops and stuff, but when we did HM's? We all knew the deal and ran through em quickly because that is what WE wanted as a group.

I am not saying any of this to be a douche. I want you to enjoy your experiences as a player in this game. Hell it is what makes the community diverse and full of rational thought, feelings and expression of imagination. But if you MUST play a certain way, find like-minded people to do it with, you'll find your experience as a 50 that much more enjoyable.

Happy Hunting.

If you have done it once thats enough...spacebar thereafter. First time through I probably wouldnt have a problem but if the guy not spacebarring and not skipping is in rakata or higher gear and has done it before I'm gonna just vote kick from the group and find someone who isn't going to waste my time. I don't pay for other people to hold me up. When the queue pops its time to do work and do it fast and efficiently.

Cool story, bro! :D Why do you play the game if playing it properly and enjoying the content is "wasting your time"? Why wouldn't you just sign off if it's that horrible to spend few more extra minutes watching nice voice acting and killing a boss or two?

I don't pay for this game to smash my spacebar or hug walls and jump platforms like I did back in the early 90s with my NES and Mario-games. When the queue pops up it's time to enjoy the game, voiceover and use my char's abilities as much as possible! Some people have raged because I like watching convos and killing thrash tooto a certain point, some have vote kicked too...And I have reported those vote kickers after putting them onto my ignore-list.

- Story is for Story Mode (the name gives that away, there can be no confusion), If you wanna watch cut scenes do those (I enjoy the cutscenes in this game and watch them in Story Modes).

- Not knowing the fights, well should have done story mode but you may forget. Say so and most people will give you tips (I can summarise Lorrick fight in 4 lines).

- Not knowing how to skip, well just say so people will show you how.

- Pulling random trash - can be annoying but just say sorry and kill them, I have accidentally pulled random trash hundreds of times mostly through just not paying attention since I have done the FP so many times, just apologise, kill them and move on. If you do cause a wipe offer cash for repairs (most people won't take it).

Alternatively run FPs with friends or guldies, I find that even if we **** up and are on voice chat we just crack a joke at the derp's expense and keep going.

But PuGs are PuGs and this is the internet so do not expect anyone to be courteous to someone who is inconveniencing them.

Pro tips:

Get your gear up over 16k before you run HM's. It can be done with tionese and recruit, having 13900 Hp is no good for HM's. Bite the bullet if you don't like the look, it will keep you live.

Practice your jumping , people suck at jumping in this game drives me nuts. If you can't jump then prepare for a /kick.

Que for the easy flashpoints until you get familiar with how to play your class. BT, BoI, BP, don't que for Koan or you will die.

As a dps player always stay a couple of feet behind the tank. Don't straggle behind the group.

If the group is space-baring thru cut scenes then do the same , don't hold your group up because your being the jerk , not them.

Practice these tips and hopefully you'll get with the program.

Cool story, bro! :D Why do you play the game if playing it properly and enjoying the content is "wasting your time"? Why wouldn't you just sign off if it's that horrible to spend few more extra minutes watching nice voice acting and killing a boss or two?

Sorry but you don't define what's "playing properly" for me. For my RPG point of view, only first run of any dugeon/fp/op count, all others is just grinding for gear/comm, so my play style is finish as soon as possible.

Why wouldnt i just signed off if it's that horrible to spend few more extra minutes watching nice voice acting and killing a boss or two? Because after finish my daily FP i have a lot of other way to enjoy this game, pvp, ranked pvp, op, or just lvling another alt, all those i find much more fun/challenging than watching cutscene in BT.

I don't pay for this game to smash my spacebar or hug walls and jump platforms like I did back in the early 90s with my NES and Mario-games. When the queue pops up it's time to enjoy the game, voiceover and use my char's abilities as much as possible! Some people have raged because I like watching convos and killing thrash tooto a certain point, some have vote kicked too...And I have reported those vote kickers after putting them onto my ignore-list.

I don't pay to watch the BT cutscent 15345345 times repeatedly as well. You hay your way to enjoy your game and i have mine.

And seriously you have reported ppl about this ? are you 12 or what ? And you don't have to put me or any of the so called "elite-jerk" in this thread, i don't think any of us want to carry you through FP :)

some people enjoy playing the game unlike you speed runners who have no concept of playing a game bottom line if you wanna speed run stay out of group finder and do these runs in your guild or with friends because more often then not you will meet every type of player through group finder

the elitist

the newbie

the tionese/ low gear (even with the free tionese i still see people in the blues and oranges lower than tionese)

i for one have no problem with these players other than the elitist who wants to spew is knowledge and act like he/she knows everything about the game and their type of teaching is through a condescending arrogant tone

Edited by canuckly

This thread is getting ridiculous... If you actually want to have success in these HM FP's, do what everyone is saying and space bar when you need to space bar. Skip when you need to skip, and get over it. There's no excuse for wasting peoples time with these cutscenes when they have run the damn instance hundreds of times. Run the STORY Mode FP if you want to watch the STORY. Other than that, deal with the consequences if you choose not to.

The grouped wiped, because they were not a group. Sorry in a HMFP I want the people that accidentally pulled to run to me. They get to me, they will live and the mob they pulled will die. Someone pulls by accident I am running towards them. They better be hitting defensive cooldowns and running towards me. I do this dps or healer, only difference with my healer I bring up the rear so any inadvertent pull is in front of me, on dps I stick right behind the tank unless someone says they are new, then I will be right in front of them waiting when needed for them to catch up.

Mobs in HM FP are a joke outside a few in LI HM and Koan, so someone pulling one and running up the group is no big deal, provided the group is more interest in killing stuff than typing insult at whoever accidentally pulled.

This.

As for skipping cut scenes, it can take a lot more time to watch a cut scene than to skip it. Most people have already seen them multiple times. They're just not interesting after the first couple of times and they add so much time to a FP. I'd rather kill every mob in a FP than watch a full FP's cut scenes. I'm guessing that most people are going to feel the same. If you haven't seen them, I can understand the desire to watch them but consider what it's like for someone who has seen them a dozen times. It's extremely boring. Anyone can solo the SM FPs and some classes should have little problem soloing the level 50 SMs (which don't have a lot of cut scenes anyway). They can all be easily two-manned. If you really want to watch cut scenes, do the SMs or run them with friends.

I'm not even sure what the point of discussing "fault" is when someone gets stuck. People get stuck. They didn't do it on purpose and they're not going to try to do it again. Get over yourselves and wait a second. No one is asking you to donate a kidney.

As for the 16 man nightmare progression guy who expects everyone queuing for FPs to be on his level. Get a little perspective and grow up.