Legacy Datacrons

SpectralGhost

So, unsure if it's been made into an actual suggestion thread (couldn't find it if it has), but I know I've seen support for it around the forums in the past and thought it couldn't hurt to suggest it - Legacy Datacron unlocks.

Instead of having to gather all the Datacrons for every toon, why not make the Datacrons legacy unlocks so that when you gather it the first time, it's then unlocked across all your other characters. Exceptions would likely have to be made for ones that only Imperial or Republic characters have access to, but that doesn't seem like it should be a deal breaker in being able to implement such a system. It could be a higher legacy level only unlock (lvl 30-40?) or maybe a Cartel store purchase as a quality of life thing.

The Datacrons can be fun to grab the first time around, but having to do them multiple times starts losing out on the fun factor and just gets tedious - at least for me.;)

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i agree with this, and have suggested this in the past. You should need to have it done at least once per faction though to get the benefit of it. I would also suggest that they have them unlock gradually. I mean so that your lvl 1 character doesn't have the benifit of all of the datacrons right away. example when your on your starting planet you'd get the bonus' of the first 6 datacrons, then when you moved on to your second planet (coruscant, or dromund kaas) you'd automatically unlock the 5 their (assuming you already have them all) and so on.

i agree with this, and have suggested this in the past. You should need to have it done at least once per faction though to get the benefit of it. I would also suggest that they have them unlock gradually. I mean so that your lvl 1 character doesn't have the benifit of all of the datacrons right away. example when your on your starting planet you'd get the bonus' of the first 6 datacrons, then when you moved on to your second planet (coruscant, or dromund kaas) you'd automatically unlock the 5 their (assuming you already have them all) and so on.

Yep, totally agree with the OP and with the gradual benefit of them as described here.

Absolutely agree with this suggestion, there was a dev post some time back stating it was under consideration and I hope they get it sorted and implemented.

I'm leveling my first Imperial character now, and while it's a blast collecting them for the first time for each faction, I can't imagine doing it beyond that for subsequent characters (which is a shame, it's just a huge timesink--not to mention the logistical requirements for many datacrons, which can make them literally impossible to get without help from multiple other players in the same area).

Seems very reasonable as a Legacy expansion option.

I'd like to see the codex entries bind to legacy--it's useless to have all this info I can't cross-reference--but the stat gains seem a bit...tricky. I imagine I'd be a pretty unbalanced level 10 with all of the bonus stats~ See frog_brains' post for win~ Edited by Journeyer

As long as they create optional Legacy Wide unlocks I'm fine with it. I'm a completionist, I love doing various stuff on my alts.

So if they force me to share everything legacy wide, I'm out of here. One of the main reasons I quit WoW is due to account-wide everything.

So if it's optional legacy unlock or cartel market item, fine with me, just allow me to opt out of it.

• 3 weeks later...

/signed

I think this is viable, but has potential to be abused. Maybe a compromise? How about all those DataCrons that are CLASS SPECIFIC are NOT shared Legacy wide?

All Endurance, Presence and +10 DataCron would be shared.

Edited by dscount

• 7 months later...

Agreed^^

So, unsure if it's been made into an actual suggestion thread (couldn't find it if it has), but I know I've seen support for it around the forums in the past and thought it couldn't hurt to suggest it - Legacy Datacron unlocks.

Instead of having to gather all the Datacrons for every toon, why not make the Datacrons legacy unlocks so that when you gather it the first time, it's then unlocked across all your other characters. Exceptions would likely have to be made for ones that only Imperial or Republic characters have access to, but that doesn't seem like it should be a deal breaker in being able to implement such a system. It could be a higher legacy level only unlock (lvl 30-40?) or maybe a Cartel store purchase as a quality of life thing.

The Datacrons can be fun to grab the first time around, but having to do them multiple times starts losing out on the fun factor and just gets tedious - at least for me.;)

Please no. A player finding the datacrons on ONE CHARACTER does not entitle that player to the bonuses on any other characters.

• 1 month later...
Yes please. Signed and agreed. Not all of us have the luxury of time to find and get to all datacrons we've found before one 1 character. Sure, was definitely fun the 1st time around, and I'm definitely glad I did, maybe the 2nd time too, but after that it's just so tedious.

Yes please. Signed and agreed. Not all of us have the luxury of time to find and get to all datacrons we've found before one 1 character. Sure, was definitely fun the 1st time around, and I'm definitely glad I did, maybe the 2nd time too, but after that it's just so tedious.

No, thank you.

Stat bonuses earned by one character do NOT entitle other characters to those same bonuses.

If you do not want to bother finding the datacrons for all of your characters, then you are not entitled to the stat bonuses for all your characters.

Yes please. Signed and agreed. Not all of us have the luxury of time to find and get to all datacrons we've found before one 1 character.

Yet people somehow have time to run the same dailies and play the same warzones day after day after day but can't be bothered to bend over and pick up a Datacron as you walk by it while you're on-planet doing your class/planet chains?

And...

/notsigned

*sigh*

Not signed. Again.

Yes, get this off the wall and the forums completely.

Agreed.. If people don't want to play the game, they shouldn't ask to ruin it for others..

Play the game and go get the datacrons.. Otherwise live without the stats they provide.. The people that take the time to get them should be rewarded with the stats.. If you are to lazy to get them, then no stats for you..

Legacy does not equal lazy.. Stop trying to use legacy as a means to get something you are to lazy to get yourself..

:cool:

Edited by MajikMyst

My wife works a full time job and goes to school full time.. She still finds the time.. If you don't have time to play an MMO then perhaps you shouldn't play one.. Just saying...

You do dailies over and over.. You do warzones over and over.. You do ops over and over.. Welcome to playing an MMO.. If you want the stats on all your characters then you will have to put forth the effort on all your characters..

Legacy is not a get something for free because I am to lazy to play the game feature.. :)

Not signed..

Edited by MajikMyst

Getting Datacrons is fine the first couple of times, but it's a pain to get them for each character. I'm levelling a Vanguard now and it's become a chore after I've already obtained all of them on five other characters.

You do not have to find the datacrons on all your characters, just on the characters you want to receive the stat bonuses.

Getting Datacrons is fine the first couple of times, but it's a pain to get them for each character. I'm levelling a Vanguard now and it's become a chore after I've already obtained all of them on five other characters.

*sigh*

Totally. The <9 minutes it takes to get ALL FIVE Datacrons on Ilum is a royal pain.

*sigh*

If BW believes the cost of implementing legacy datacrons is outweighed by the cartel coins they can charge players to unlock this perk they will do it. I would buy this unlock and I imagine there is sizable demand for it among the player base. I enjoyed getting all the datacrons. I'd enjoy a legacy datacron unlock more.

It's ok to choose to not use such a perk based on principle but there's no reason to deny others the option in the first place. Some people are hardcore in areas of the game you wouldn't touch with a pole and vice versa. What about other convenience features like double-xp weekends? Or low level stuff we take for granted like AOE-loot and companions running missions for us? How about no sprinting, speeders, or taxi points? If we embrace a purist anti-carebear view of MMOs we should just go back to playing MUDs. Or better yet, medieval/scifi/fantasy re-enactments. Ditch that mouse/keyboard, put on that costume, pick up your quidditch broom and join the battlefield!

Edited by Projawa

If BW believes the cost of implementing legacy datacrons is outweighed by the cartel coins they can charge players to unlock this perk they will do it. I would buy this unlock and I imagine there is sizable demand for it among the player base. I enjoyed getting all the datacrons. I'd enjoy a legacy datacron unlock more.

It's ok to choose to not use such a perk based on principle but there's no reason to deny others the option in the first place. Some people are hardcore in areas of the game you wouldn't touch with a pole and vice versa. What about other convenience features like double-xp weekends? Or low level stuff we take for granted like AOE-loot and companions running missions for us? How about no sprinting, speeders, or taxi points? If we embrace a purist anti-carebear view of MMOs we should just go back to playing MUDs. Or better yet, medieval/scifi/fantasy re-enactments. Ditch that mouse/keyboard, put on that costume, pick up your quidditch broom and join the battlefield!

Ok. Hypothetically I've leveled 10 characters to 55 and geared them in BIS gear, have all companions at max affection and all companion unlocks. I want to play class 11, but it's such a grind to do the same thing I've already done with 10 other characters. Should I be able to buy a legacy "55, BIS geared, max companion affection" unlock?

The same principle applies to datacrons and social levels, etc. If you want something for a given character, EARN IT with that character.

I spent hours getting the datacrons on my main. I'm not that good at platforming - heck, I'd say I'm bad.

I just don't have the time (currently working 40 hrs a week) to bother getting all the relevant datacrons on my alts (got a Merc, Knight, Jug, Op so that's a dozen or more hours given my platforming "skills").

I would actually pay for this, and I NEVER suggest paying for any new features. This is the exception to my dislike of the CM.

I spent hours getting the datacrons on my main. I'm not that good at platforming - heck, I'd say I'm bad.

I just don't have the time (currently working 40 hrs a week) to bother getting all the relevant datacrons on my alts (got a Merc, Knight, Jug, Op so that's a dozen or more hours given my platforming "skills").

I would actually pay for this, and I NEVER suggest paying for any new features. This is the exception to my dislike of the CM.

The nice thing about the datacron bonuses is they are OPTIONAL.

If you want those optional bonuses, then you need to find the datacrons.