Augment gear pigeon holing cosmetic looks?

Audiojack

My question has to do with whether or not the new augment gear is pigeon holing cosmetic looks. Admittedly I am not an armor/gear crafter and wading through the forums seems fruitless so I'll just start a thread and ask and hope someone knows what's going on. Here it goes.

I have the following moddable gear:

http://www.torhead.com/item/9zRry6y/th-05a-operative-headgear (bought from GTN)

http://www.torhead.com/item/cg5l3Cf/veteran-elder-blades-vest (drop from Belsavis)

http://www.torhead.com/item/4EKTGLf/venerable-ardent-blades-boots (drop from Belsavis)

http://www.torhead.com/item/1MeXHi5/md-5-shock-viper-vibroblade x 2 (Balmorra comms vendor)

BM sentinel leggings

BM sentinel gloves

I have taken out the BM sentinel mods and put them in the non-BM gear. I really like the look (http://i.imgur.com/Xvu1b.png), but also recognize that in order to maximize my stats, I will need to get gear with augment slots. Most of the augmented gear I've seen is ugly as sin, so I'm left in kind of a bind.

Now, I found augmented BM gloves and leggings on the GTN, but am at a loss at how I would go about getting the rest augmented. Also, I've spammed a few times on fleet and people are not too helpful. Anyone willing to lend a hand?

How patient are you?

I ask because right now crit-crafted oranges are pretty much best in slot, because augment, however Bioware have stated that they are planning (or at the least considering) on allowing crafters to be able to add an augment slot to existing gear in future patches. Because social gear.

If you are alright with going without the extra stats that augments grant for the time being, then you might as well carry on with the look you like with full intention of getting it all augmented when it's possible to do so.

I don't see how anyone could say that augment gear is pigeon-holing looks. Yes, there are only a limited number of options but there are still far more options than there previously were when everyone did have to look the same. They certainly need more orange schematics but this is an improvement, not a step backwards.

Don't just take what's in the GTN as all there is. there's a lot more out there, and as people get the NEW recipies, there's going to be more options. Only thing i'm really miffed about is they promised that a gear's set bonus would transfer with the armor slips if you wanted different looking gear but get the set bonuses. Well, the armor slip itself won't work in any other armo r other than in a piece that goes in the slot it came from (IE columni chestpiece, the armor slip can only go into another chest, not into gloves or boots), so now I have a snazzy top for my Bounty hunter ( a synthweaving orange tier black and red halter top) but stuck wearing the bulky columni, tionese, and rakata armors otherwise.

I don't see how anyone could say that augment gear is pigeon-holing looks. Yes, there are only a limited number of options but there are still far more options than there previously were when everyone did have to look the same. They certainly need more orange schematics but this is an improvement, not a step backwards.

Oh, I agree, but unless there is some way to easily get most gear models, non-synthweavers/armortechs are still stuck with what is most popular, and that right now is the ugly war hero stuff and light sabers (at least on my server and for my class). So it was a soft fix in that yes, there are more options, but with the way augment slots work, if you want to maximize your stats, your options are still limited (albeit some options are better than none).

Thanks for the responses, looks like I'll just have to hope something I want pops up on the GTN and wait out future patches, cause there is no way in hell I'm going to have a weird gladiator shoulder thing with a space ship mounted on my head. Cheers!

How patient are you?

however Bioware have stated that they are planning (or at the least considering) on allowing crafters to be able to add an augment slot to existing gear in future patches.

Pretty sure they actually stated this would be in 1.3, (though they didn't say it would be done by crafters, rather that the method wouldn't devalue them)

Don't just take what's in the GTN as all there is. there's a lot more out there, and as people get the NEW recipies, .

So far there aren't any NEW recipies. (other than the fugly battlemaster/war hero schematics stuff)

That being said, as a synthweaver, if I'm not running low on the components needed to make the blue/purple stuff I sell, I send my companions out on whichever of the "best yield" grade 1, 2, and 3 missions are available.

Then, when a augmented orange item sells, I replace it with whichever version of that slots item I can currently make the most of*, so there is some variation in what's available. (*for the most part... only medium chest armor I bother making is the apprentice vest, because it's the only one that doesn't look bad, and only light helm I make is the consulars headgear, which is the only one I have in that grade range that isn't one of those absurd headpieces. (it's just a circlet). I also always try to keep up a pair of light pants (and charge a bit of a premium for it), even though it's out of that grade 1-3 range.

Edited by GnatB

As it stands there are upwards of 14 different models of pants and chest, 12 different helms and 3 of those models have several different craft able color variations. Thats for light armor alone medium and heavy have that much just from a synthweaver (not sure what armormechs offer for medium and heavy yet). Ive been collecting these schematics to offer a custom crafting service , but the problem is all the Underworld Traders are only doing the rank 6 missions thus most of the gear schematics on the market are rank 6 or pvp schematics. If youre sith on Warriors of the Shadow look me up to see what I have in Light Armor.

Oh, I agree, but unless there is some way to easily get most gear models, non-synthweavers/armortechs are still stuck with what is most popular, and that right now is the ugly war hero stuff and light sabers (at least on my server and for my class). So it was a soft fix in that yes, there are more options, but with the way augment slots work, if you want to maximize your stats, your options are still limited (albeit some options are better than none).

Thanks for the responses, looks like I'll just have to hope something I want pops up on the GTN and wait out future patches, cause there is no way in hell I'm going to have a weird gladiator shoulder thing with a space ship mounted on my head. Cheers!

Don't just watch the GTN to see what stuff with augments get put on it, be a bit more proactive. Look through the lower level stuff to find the relevant crafters then mail them with a request. Most of the love getting orders. My head and chest were both custom orders like that, with different crafters who both were more than happy to work with me to find the item I wanted and then make it.

My server has a pretty small population and not a very hardcore population - augmented oranges don't sell that easily. Most people are still wearing their columi/rakata/battlemaster sets that cannot be augmented. I guess despite all the claims of people wanting to "choose" their look, everyone still wants to feel "elite" wearing their tier gear. Even if its a crappy looking set like the consular one.

My question on this is:

Does augmented gear really matter that much?

Sure, it is BiS simply because it allows the addition of stats, but what is the percentage difference between an augmented piece and a piece without an augment?

If you are in an "end game" guild where even a percentage point or two is important to those deciding on group makeup then I have to ask another question:

Why do cosmetic looks matter?

If you are designing a "look" that includes BiS utility is it right to expect to get both easily? The expectation of being able to easily get BiS plus that specific cosmetic look easily doesn't seem realistic. As in all things, the good comes to those who persevere.

The trouble comes only when you are going for a specific look that does not include the chance of augments because the gear is loot only and not customizable gear but if that gear is BiS without needing augments there would appear to be no cause for concern. If the gear isn't BiS but would be with the addition of augments then either a way to add augments to that gear (either through looted items or crafted items that can be added to the specific gear) or increasing the stats of those items to make it BiS without augments would seem to solve the issue.

As it stands there are upwards of 14 different models of pants and chest, 12 different helms and 3 of those models have several different craft able color variations.

Can crafters choose the color variations, or do they require different recipes or something? I ask, because I've seen armor on GTN that I liked, but that the colors for were ugly, so I didn't buy it. If the sellers could craft them in different colors, I'd happily mail them to request it.

Don't just watch the GTN to see what stuff with augments get put on it, be a bit more proactive. Look through the lower level stuff to find the relevant crafters then mail them with a request. Most of the love getting orders. My head and chest were both custom orders like that, with different crafters who both were more than happy to work with me to find the item I wanted and then make it.

Well the stuff I'm interested specifically in are some world drops from Belsavis. So do I have to just get said lower level crafters to inspect my gear and find something they can make that looks like what I want? I would think high level crafters can do the same, unless high level crafters can't be bothered to get lower level schematics.

The whole RE/schematic system seems confusing at first glance. My biochem is nice and simple: Get mats, make myself rakat stim/medpac/adrenal....ignore crafting.

I'm really hoping they do add the ability to add augment slots to existing gear because I really like the look of some of the social armour to the point where I am doing without augments purely for cosmetic purposes.

But I want my augments, I'm a minmaxer. =/

Can crafters choose the color variations, or do they require different recipes or something? I ask, because I've seen armor on GTN that I liked, but that the colors for were ugly, so I didn't buy it. If the sellers could craft them in different colors, I'd happily mail them to request it.

The different color variations are limited to the pvp and campaign gear sadly. Crafters do have control over what color they are crafting in those regards though. Im hoping BW eventually adds in either color variations of the other models or offers us an option to change the colors either while crafting or while equipping.

My server has a pretty small population and not a very hardcore population - augmented oranges don't sell that easily. Most people are still wearing their columi/rakata/battlemaster sets that cannot be augmented. I guess despite all the claims of people wanting to "choose" their look, everyone still wants to feel "elite" wearing their tier gear. Even if its a crappy looking set like the consular one.

On my server a lot of people have now moved to Augmented gear. Without knowing more about their motives, it could just as simply be that people on your server are cheap, it costs over 100k credits to strip out 1 Rakata item.

OP, the change to augment crit gear is helpful, but I would agree that until every gear item appearance in the game can be crafted in a moddable version that aesthetics over power won't truly be the ultimate choice.

My question on this is:

Does augmented gear really matter that much?

Sure, it is BiS simply because it allows the addition of stats, but what is the percentage difference between an augmented piece and a piece without an augment?

If you figure there are 7 (there may be more, I know there are 7 for sure) pieces that you can get augment slots on, and you put a 50 rating augment in each one, it can make a big diff. Just looking at my mods:

+12 End

+18 Cun

The augments are giving me:

12*7=84*10=840 more HP

18*7=126 Cunning

I feel like that is a pretty significant upgrade, but who knows.

Is it worth it?

I've crafted aug slots on Implants, and a guildie Artifice crafted an aug slot on a relic (his very first attempt on a Rakata relic). 5 pieces of tier gear. I traded a bucketload of blue Fort Stims for an auged Lightsaber (the hilt looks rubbish but I don't care - it has a white blade which is far more noticeable). That's 10 right there. Ear is probably aug-able too (though I have no proof). Bracers possibly, belt possibly, off-hand possibly.

Excluding Ear, bracers, belt, and off-hand:

1000HP and +180 (+189 with Consular buff, +195 for dps with +3% talent) Primary stat. Approximately +10% boost to primary stat. Across your whole Op team means that last week's 1% wipe is this week's kill. And probably that 5% wipe too.