No Longer Worried About Upcoming Story Updates

Ylliarus

Ever since KotFE hit I have been feeling concern and worry before every single story update that came. What would they force us through this time? When would we able to go back to our original factions? How much deeper would we be pushed into the Zakuul narrative, being further and further drawn away from the core theme/storyline of this game? Every single update those questions spooked through my mind and made me concerned for the future of the SWTOR narrative.

Finally, that era of dread has come at an end with the announcement of 5.10 Jedi Under Siege.

After all the KotFE/KotET years, finally I only feel excitement and anticipation for the upcoming storyline. There is no fear or concern anymore, only joy and hype! The story is finally returning to where it's supposed to be and it is good, finally there is genuine anticipation and giddiness for the upcoming content. It makes me feel like I felt during the base game, back before Makeb was launched even. It fills me with hope that the SWTOR of before is returning and things will be as they should have been!

So thank you, devs! Thank you for making me feel like this, overjoyed, giddy, hyped, excited! I can't wait to play Jedi Under Siege but more importantly, I can't wait to see SWTOR returns to its roots :D

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're adorable. Not meant in a condescending way, I genuinely think it's wonderful to see someone in such good spirits about this. Personally, while I definitely feel a level of excitement, I'm very much "wait and see" too. An epic presentation really is just that and offers little guarantee for how those plans will play out once the update(s) is live. I will say the planned direction of this story appeals to me more than KOTFE did years back so there's a plus.

The part I am excited to experience is my agent finally getting even with the empire since she will be a saboteur. She is Chiss and believed in the empire until the episode in her story line and since she has to return to her faction she will take every opportunity she can to undermine them. :D

You're adorable. Not meant in a condescending way, I genuinely think it's wonderful to see someone in such good spirits about this. Personally, while I definitely feel a level of excitement, I'm very much "wait and see" too. An epic presentation really is just that and offers little guarantee for how those plans will play out once the update(s) is live. I will say the planned direction of this story appeals to me more than KOTFE did years back so there's a plus.

If I am genuinely happy or excited about something I tend to beam with joy and positivity aye :D really, the livestream and especially what they told about the story got me in such amazing spirits! Of course a great presentation is not everything, but just the things they already announced appealed so much to me that I couldn't help but become hyped!

The part I am excited to experience is my agent finally getting even with the empire since she will be a saboteur. She is Chiss and believed in the empire until the episode in her story line and since she has to return to her faction she will take every opportunity she can to undermine them. :D

Definitely looking forward to that as well! I do have one or two Repside chars who feel more for the Sith Empire than the Republic and their Jedi defenders... will be interesting to see how we'll be able to handle the Loyalist and Saboteur element!

Edited by Ylliarus

I'm with Casi. One of the biggest points of excitement for me is that my Agent will finally get to be a true double Agent aiding the Republic. I've wanted that for so long. I've also had several headcanons for my Imperial Agent with Jonas Balkar so that's a double bonus right there. ♥ After Tweeting with Charlie McBeardypants, I also feel more assured about the level of impact the Saboteur option may have on our existing romances and I do enjoy the idea of it creating some 'drama'.

Honestly, the story prospect itself has me plenty giddy and I'm very much holding out both hands chanting "gimme now". Just... at the same time, I'm also reminding myself it may not play out as wonderfully as I'd like it to, or as it's made to sound.

Well, i feel pretty much the exact opposite...

Of my 8 main characters, only my JC would be willing to go back to being a mere Jedi, and only my IA would gladly go wreck the Empire (well maybe my SI too as he never had any love for the Empire).

And the JC is probably the character i like the least of the 8 as i find his class story pretty borring, his companions to be absolutely forgettable and his pesonnality pretty bland.

Considering too that my JK, SW, BH and RT's lovers all have kill options and will probably not be part of any story anymore, there's nothing to get me hyped.

I guess the only slightly positive stuff here is Jonas being the Pub side contact.

As much as I loved KOTFE/KOTET and to this day think KOTET was the best expansion in terms of story, I'm excited about Ossus as well. The re-sparking of the war is something that is long overdue even before KOTFE and KOTET, let's be honest, there hasn't been enough of a spotlight dedicated to the war since KDY and before that since vanilla. From Hutts to Dread Masters, from Revanites to the Order of Zildrog, every point of conflict led us down into fighting another third faction. Except KDY, but there wasn't much of it... so I'm excited to see what they can cook up, I still hope they allow us to keep the Eternal Alliance and instead merely ally with the Empire. If the Alliance has to go I would like it to feel a natural annexation, and not a forced one just to appease the critics. Really the only gripe I have with 5.10 is that we'll be forced to do Empire/Republic storyline depending on our character's original faction and not on our Iokath/Nathema choices, but I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and see how they treat this saboteur/loyalist storyline. Edited by FlameYOL

I have one concern about this new story-line. That deals with our characters as Alliance commanders or Emperor(s) we will once again become the tools of some "leader" who treats us as someone to do their bidding without regards or respect to whom we actually are. My Jugg main is the Emperor after seizing the thrown. Will he now become some enforcer to murder people at the behest of someone who hasn't earned the right to control/compel/command him? I most certainly hope that the dev/writers address this in a manner that will leave 'most' satisfied and do so without 'writer's fiat.' Otherwise, it will be very hard to accept (for me at least) going back to being another tool for some power wielding idiot that believes they are above all.

I have one concern about this new story-line. That deals with our characters as Alliance commanders or Emperor(s) we will once again become the tools of some "leader" who treats us as someone to do their bidding without regards or respect to whom we actually are. My Jugg main is the Emperor after seizing the thrown. Will he now become some enforcer to murder people at the behest of someone who hasn't earned the right to control/compel/command him? I most certainly hope that the dev/writers address this in a manner that will leave 'most' satisfied and do so without 'writer's fiat.' Otherwise, it will be very hard to accept (for me at least) going back to being another tool for some power wielding idiot that believes they are above all.

This is pretty much my thoughts. While a few characters like my JK & SI (who'll be a pain in the :D for all those countless times I was referred to as "slave" or "alien" by imperials).. my SW should be emperor. And my smuggler/BH don't like either side. So while there is some excitement for more story, I'm gonna be cautiously optimistic about the execution.

Ever since KotFE hit I have been feeling concern and worry before every single story update that came. What would they force us through this time? When would we able to go back to our original factions? How much deeper would we be pushed into the Zakuul narrative, being further and further drawn away from the core theme/storyline of this game? Every single update those questions spooked through my mind and made me concerned for the future of the SWTOR narrative.

Finally, that era of dread has come at an end with the announcement of 5.10 Jedi Under Siege.

After all the KotFE/KotET years, finally I only feel excitement and anticipation for the upcoming storyline. There is no fear or concern anymore, only joy and hype! The story is finally returning to where it's supposed to be and it is good, finally there is genuine anticipation and giddiness for the upcoming content. It makes me feel like I felt during the base game, back before Makeb was launched even. It fills me with hope that the SWTOR of before is returning and things will be as they should have been!

So thank you, devs! Thank you for making me feel like this, overjoyed, giddy, hyped, excited! I can't wait to play Jedi Under Siege but more importantly, I can't wait to see SWTOR returns to its roots :D

I totally feel the same way, I'm so happy we're finally going back to hard core old school Star Wars, The Empire vs The Republic! The Sith vs. the Jedi! The Darkside vs. the Lightside!!!! It makes my thing go shwing!

I can't wait to kill Jedi, War on the stincken pubs and show em that Yoda lied when he said the Darkside wasn't more Powerful than the Lightside. Silly little green man.

Bring it Satele! I've been waiting for you! All pubs must die!!!!

By the power of Grey Skull!!! For the Glory of the Empire!!!! Muhawahah

Edited by WayOfTheWarriorx

I totally feel the same way, I'm so happy we're finally going back to hard core old school Star Wars, The Empire vs The Republic! The Sith vs. the Jedi! The Darkside vs. the Lightside!!!! It makes my thing go shwing!

I can't wait to kill Jedi, War on the stincken pubs and show em that Yoda lied when he said the Darkside wasn't more Powerful than the Lightside. Silly little green man.

Bring it Satele! I've been waiting for you! All pubs must die!!!!

By the power of Grey Skull!!! For the Glory of the Empire!!!! Muhawahah

Hehhee, this gave me good few chuckles. :D

In regards to Jedi Under Siege, I am cautiously optimistic. I'm very interested to see the war between the Empire and the Republic renewed but, I've also loved to see them working together, starting to build a new galaxy.

Great for ya'll who get to converse with Jonas Balkar. The Empire and Empire affiliates get to take their orders from a droid. :(

Weird choice. Kilran is dead. Maybe someone secret and more interesting is the person behind the droid? Otherwise I can’t believe, of ALL possibilities in the history of Star Wars, people were clamoring to see this droid again. If it’s just the droid—I’d have to say the current writers are further proving they can’t read their audience (certain comp returns being exhibit A)

Great for ya'll who get to converse with Jonas Balkar. The Empire and Empire affiliates get to take their orders from a droid. :(

I think it follows the trend a bit to have minor characters from past missions play a role again. Like Darth Malora (and I admit I absolutely ADORE the fact we'll be seeing her as a Dark Council member) who was a nobody apprentice on Korriban first. I fully expect Ziam from the Nal Hutta mission about that mother wanting her son to go to Korriban sitting on the new Dark Council as well :p

Also, it is truly heartwarming to see the posts of the people who are also very excited and looking forward to the new storyline! To the people that aren't happy with the new course, I do feel sorry for you, but maybe give it a shot when it comes out? Try out how it feels because I get the feeling this new storyline will be quite epic :) maybe it won't be as bad as you think!

Edited by Ylliarus

:) I'm also Happy SWTOR is doing this. I'm not gonna Risk too much until we see what really happens but good so far. Hopefully those here will stay on and those that have wandered off will be back finding the game *Familiar again. "A New Hope" :) .

Oh I can actually confirm that people who previously left SWTOR because it steered away from its core themes with the Zakuul-Alliance debacle are returning! Several friends of mine who lost interest in the game have their interest in it ignited again, cautiously returning with a hint of optimism! Which is one of the reasons why I am also so happy and excited :D SWTOR returning to its core themes and storylines will help the game reclaim what was lost! Or at least a portion of it.

For me, the single biggest disappointment was the destruction of matured characters via bad writing/story.

I am not seeing anything otherwise about this new update, it seems old characters will get new writing in the same flattened way.

This also means old factions, Jedi/Sith, will likely also be written in this "new" boring flat way as well.

I liked the original depth the game had, the complexities of life.

Unless they've hired a more experienced and mature story team I ain't expecting good things.

Edited by ThrakhathSpawn

For me, the single biggest disappointment was the destruction of matured characters via bad writing/story.

I am not seeing anything otherwise about this new update, it seems old characters will get new writing in the same flattened way.

This also means old factions, Jedi/Sith, will likely also be written in this "new" boring flat way as well.

I liked the original depth the game had, the complexities of life.

Unless they've hired a more experienced and mature story team I ain't expecting good things.

I disagree with you there, but everyone's tastes/opinions are different. I will admit I found KotFE and KotET flat and one dimensional, but the Traitor story arc showed me they learned from their mistakes. Especially the Copero and Nathema flashpoints redeemed the writer's team in my opinion. It's why I am looking forward to what they'll be doing with the new characters and storylines in Jedi Under Siege :) from what I see, the complexities of the base game and the intricate storylines we got there will be returning with 5.10!

Edited by Ylliarus

I, too, agree that the newer stuff is worlds better than what we've had brother with the Zakuul stuff. It wasn't terrible, I did think there was some good that came out of that but I had to sit and think for a long time, longer than I've had to for a while with what to do with Theron, even now I'm not sure if I made the right choice, especially with the letter that Satele sends to you afterwards. That cut me deep.

I am mostly worried about my characters becoming pawns to someone's designs.

And lets face it without a doubt our characters are the strongest known character in the galaxy.

It would be very bad writing for our force sensitives to not be immediately offered a spot on their respective councils or a damn good reason for it to not happen.

I am cautiously optimistic but this transition could be screwed up so easily.

And although I am the Alliance Commander at least and Emperor at most it never felt like I was the one calling the shots, they never conveyed that feeling of authority.

Edited by QuinlanSaathis

I disagree with you there, but everyone's tastes/opinions are different. I will admit I found KotFE and KotET flat and one dimensional, but the Traitor story arc showed me they learned from their mistakes. Especially the Copero and Nathema flashpoints redeemed the writer's team in my opinion. It's why I am looking forward to what they'll be doing with the new characters and storylines in Jedi Under Siege :) from what I see, the complexities of the base game and the intricate storylines we got there will be returning with 5.10!

As I understand it, those FP's had input from outside writers than those that did KOTFE/KOTET.

I'm still stuck in that I do not want to do content that auto-completes and puts my character in the KOTFE/KOTET completed state.

I don't want the new version of companions it yields even if I don't have to run it. As a light imperial their default auto complete is also darkside(Please, give us a choice?) Or better yet, not auto complete.

The KOTFE/KOTET versions of your old companions do not move their lips when talking. Weird, and since I like planetary questing it is very noticeable.

Well...I am truly glad that some of you are so excited about all of this. I truly hope you will enjoy it.

I'm mourning the loss of the game, myself. It looks like there might be some good things about this update like the two class companions being F/F romances. It looks as though they put an extraordinate amount of effort into this, which is great.

But I see nothing I want to actually play and i"m pretty depressed about this turn of events. For the time being, if I send anyone through this story it's going to be a minor alt I have no attachment to.

Edited by IoNonSoEVero

I am mostly worried about my characters becoming pawns to someone's designs.

And lets face it without a doubt our characters are the strongest known character in the galaxy.

It would be very bad writing for our force sensitives to not be immediately offered a spot on their respective councils or a damn good reason for it to not happen.

I am cautiously optimistic but this transition could be screwed up so easily.

And although I am the Alliance Commander at least and Emperor at most it never felt like I was the one calling the shots, they never conveyed that feeling of authority.

I'm sure when players go home after the Alliance is disbanded the player will be welcomes as one of the greatest heros in the history of their faction [which they should be]. You won't be in charge of the Empire, but you were already a personage that held great power [at least in the Empire as the Emperor's Wrath, I'm not sure how it goes in publand, but likely there is some pub equivalent].

I understand the some people feel like it's a downgrade, but the reality is for virtually the entire time of the EE storyline you are nothing more than a military figure akin to General Eisanhower in WW2 as the 'Commander of all Allied forces in the Europeon Theater'. Commander is a miltitary title [you are in charge militarily]. The parrels are easy to see. The Allies were those forces belonging to the Alliance against the Axis powers [England, America, The Soviet Union and later on and before, France]. 2 days after the War ended, Stalin, an ally built a wall in the middle of Berlin which became the Iron Curtain and marked the Start of the Cold War that would last 4 decades.

Alliances are inherenly temporary and include very specific goals and one they are met, the Alliance comes to an end.

When wars end soldiers go home, they don't become Presidents of leaders of the nations they warred against and defeated, they occupy them for a time to make sure they dont have the means to attack again once reorganized. General Eisanhower was an American Soldier. All those solders in the Allies still wore the military uniforms of their home countries answer to their own leaders ulitmately. General Eisanhower couldn't order Stalin around and did as he was ordered, he didn't become the President of Germany, he went home a hero and many years leader he became the President of the United States.

Going home after the chains of the Eternal Empire over the factions is removed is not a punishment to those soldiers, their home factions were the reason they joined the Alliance and fought, to free them. All most soldiers want to in War time is to go home again one day.

The alliance commander has made a name for himself that will be immortal. He becomes one of the most notable persons in history and becomes a living legend. The player will definately be reminded of this as new storylines unfold and deal with npcs, it will never not be mentioned from time to time what you did leading the Alliance to ultimate victory. You have become the greatest hero of your home faction and no one will ever let you forget that that's exactly what you are now. A living breathing legend.

I liked being the Emperor's wrath and I never stopped loving and serving the Empire, because that's home and as a Sithlord it was my duty to free the Empire from the EE.

I'm no leader, I want to fight the enemy. - To the Republic and to the Jedi, here I come.

Even still there better be some red carpets in my future!!

I'm am sorry for those who had hoped for more out of the Alliance storyline, as much as it wasnt my cup of tea I know some people liked it a lot, and I wish everyone could have gotten what they wanted.