General Opinions/Thoughts on New Content? [Spoilers]

JediKnightGeorge

I watched the stream last night (couldn't catch it live) and I'm honestly pretty excited for 5.10 and what's coming next. To me it seems that the devs have tried to listen to the community and what people want. No, that doesn't mean everything, but still. Honestly, the story on Ossus sounds really neat and an interesting way to start to take the game back to its roots of Republic vs. Empire. More than anything, I hope 5.10 and 6.0 will start to bring players back.

Thoughts?

I watched the stream last night (couldn't catch it live) and I'm honestly pretty excited for 5.10 and what's coming next. To me it seems that the devs have tried to listen to the community and what people want. No, that doesn't mean everything, but still. Honestly, the story on Ossus sounds really neat and an interesting way to start to take the game back to its roots of Republic vs. Empire. More than anything, I hope 5.10 and 6.0 will start to bring players back.

Thoughts?

I'm more in interested in when 6.0 comes out... or if it ever comes out. New content is nice of course, but 6.0 ? What about that ?

We probably gonna get 5.11, 12-12b and so on.. but when is 6.0 ?

I'm going to wait and see on this one. I hope they don't kill any more characters off needlessly.

Same. I'm going to wait to see what happens and I don't want any more characters to die. If I bring a toon through this for the sake of seeing it, it's going to be one I'm not emotionally invested in and it's going to be after everything's been released and I have a chance to see how it goes. Not my main or my favorites, for sure.

I'm also excited about the story going forward, mostly because I'm a huge fan of legends lore and it's great we're getting an opportunity to explore Ossus. Really my only gripes with 5.10 lore-wise is the fact we're going to be forced to go through the Imperial/Republic storyline based on our character's original faction and not choice-based, although the loyalist and saboteur mechanics sounds interesting so I'll be giving them the benefit of the doubt there and see how it goes.

I'm going to wait and see on this one. I hope they don't kill any more characters off needlessly.

Same here --- I won't even be playing all of my toons yet ---

just the two that are "complete" and I am positive where and what they are going to do

I expect that Ossus will be like Iokath. Same length of the story. Same size. Same dailies style. I cannot imagine that they suddenly have much more manpower to deliver something big like RoTH or SoR,

I actually think that under Keith's command they have developed style patterns or drafts (I don't know how to call this) for all things in the game: story, OPs, FPs, PvP, even GSF. These patterns will be used from now on for everything, because it's faster, easier and cheaper. That's why there wasn't much happening for so long and that's why they are confident to deliver much more content in 2019 ("best year of the game so far", some exec said). It would be a quite smart business rescue model. I'm fairly certain that this is one of Keith's special skills and that's why they hired them. He brought structure to the team. His hiring would make a lot of sense in retrospective, if my assumption is correct.

Wait and see is ALWAYS the most prudent approach where MMOs are concerned.

Players can test what is coming (in phases) for 5.10 over on PTS.

Thoughts?

I am excited, I am hyped, I am anticipating the new content with great joy! Really, the last time I was this giddy and looking forward to SWTOR content was before the first expansion, RotHC. Finally I am no longer dreading what horrors they'll force us through story wise again, but finally am incredibly hyped for the new storyline!

The thing that excites me most is that SWTOR is returning to its roots story-wise. The stories and themes of the base game were what made me fall in love with this game and that's the kinds of stories I want to see and play through in this game. So yes, I am very much looking forward to 5.10 Jedi Under Siege!

Edited by Ylliarus

I'm more in interested in when 6.0 comes out... or if it ever comes out. New content is nice of course, but 6.0 ? What about that ?

I kinda agree with this.

A minor patch with another gear grind is something I can easily forgot and never touch and truthfully, have no need to touch or go after. GotM wasn't even that good of an OPS in the other difficulties much less worry about putting a group together for Nim.

Gear grind is worthless and while the new content is decent enough, I'm more concerded will it be worth it if you don't care about T5? I'm starting to think it wont be.

I'd have rather heard about 6.0 as that content and next expansion is what really matters. A patch thats nothing but how can they get gamers to grind through the holidays isn't something I'm vastly interested in if it's not enough content to be interesting on it's own.

Wait and see is ALWAYS the most prudent approach where MMOs are concerned.

Players can test what is coming (in phases) for 5.10 over on PTS.

That would be the best way for us people that also hate this Empire vs. Republic junk. I do however think that Keith being mostly in charge over the past almost 2 years has helped the game more than where this game could have gone.

As much as i don't like where the storylines might go, I will see how things go before i might Un-sub, or just stick to not doing anymore storylines and just do Pvp stuff.

I think some people are being very stupid in thinking that 5.10 isn't like an expansion when it really is with all the new things that are being added, it is like an expansion, so it could be 6.0 if they wanted to do that easily. I think 6.0 will be even bigger maybe, which should get some people excited, because if it's any bigger than 5.10, than it is really big.

Edited by MandFlurry

Snip...

I think some people are being very stupid in thinking that 5.10 isn't like an expansion when it really is with all the new things that are being added, it is like an expansion, so it could be 6.0 if they wanted to do that easily. I think 6.0 will be even bigger maybe, which should get some people excited, because if it's any bigger than 5.10, than it is really big.

It's really sad times in swtor when people start thinking this:

Nightmare Mode/Master Mode Gods from the Machine

Masterwork Armor

Guild Improvements

System Improvements

Guild Management

New Planet and Daily Area – Ossus is the new planet

New storyline based on the rivalry between Sith and Jedi

Companion Returns: Doc, Nadia, Jaesa, Khem Val (possible romance? not sure if joke or not)

Is somehow even close to something that should be expansion size.

Yes, Republic vs. Empire storyline is the way to go. Spread that storyline across a variety of in game content and we'll have a good expansion.

While I'm glad that Ossus is at least an Expanded Universe planet, I still am disappointed that they have again chosen a planet that gave them essentially a blank slate to work with. Would it have been so hard to have the same exact storyline on a remote part of Jedha instead? Or Ahch-to on a different island than Ep8?

Even better, actually work with the story group and create this storyline around the more familiar parts of those locations. For example, perhaps the story group would have loved for them to show that Ahch-to that we saw used to be part of a much larger island and Luke's area just happened to be on the tallest part. Would be a really cool way to tie into something in the current Disney cannon.

I expect that Ossus will be like Iokath. Same length of the story. Same size. Same dailies style. I cannot imagine that they suddenly have much more manpower to deliver something big like RoTH or SoR,....

It's likely not more manpower, it's how long they've been working on this. The Iokath storyline was released so long ago I had to look it up. Apparently it was in April 2017. They've probably been working on this new planet as well as what's in the 6.0 patch ever since then. That is a huge amount of time to wait in between any new open world locations in an MMO.

You may point out that they've had some FP's, Ops, and PvP maps since then. Yes, obviously they have. But in general, the jobs of the day to day development staff that work on planets and dailies and storyline don't overlap much with the jobs of people working on Ops or PvP. They are different jobs.

http://dulfy.net/2017/04/19/swtor-iokath-story-and-dailies-guide/

No hints have been given towards a 5.11 or beyond. The general consensus of the board is that 5.10 will be the last major patch before 6.0. That's not to say any specific month in 2019 is when 6.0 will launch, but 5.10 is the last piece of content that has even been hinted at besides 6.0.

While I'm glad that Ossus is at least an Expanded Universe planet, I still am disappointed that they have again chosen a planet that gave them essentially a blank slate to work with. Would it have been so hard to have the same exact storyline on a remote part of Jedha instead? Or Ahch-to on a different island than Ep8?

Even better, actually work with the story group and create this storyline around the more familiar parts of those locations. For example, perhaps the story group would have loved for them to show that Ahch-to that we saw used to be part of a much larger island and Luke's area just happened to be on the tallest part. Would be a really cool way to tie into something in the current Disney cannon.

Yes it would because of the difference between canon VS legends. Although perhaps something could be worked out where they would be able to tell Ahch-to's ancient history without being canonical. I really don't see why you're so obsessed with canon planets, SWTOR itself isn't part of canon. Why bother tying it to Disney canon?

Yes it would because of the difference between canon VS legends. Although perhaps something could be worked out where they would be able to tell Ahch-to's ancient history without being canonical. I really don't see why you're so obsessed with canon planets, SWTOR itself isn't part of canon. Why bother tying it to Disney canon?

I deeply believe that most people pass on trying this game because it is unrelated to the current storyline. At launch most of the content was on familiar canon planets. Now it's not. My overall hypothesis is that you could make many mistakes in a Star Wars MMO, as long as you also include lots of things that resemble the current Star Wars universe.

Edited by annabethchase

It sounds interesting. It's probably going to be a lot like Iokath with the daily grinding and such but I'm looking forward to seeing Ossus (I still need to read through my Tales of the Jedi comics that I bought though lol).

I just hope old companions will play some sort of role in the story though, I'm so fatigued with Theron and Lana being the main people in every part of the newer story. I like them but I just want some of our old companions to be featured too since they've all become paperweights since Kotfe/Kotet.

But the difficulty is since Bioware has given options for certain companions to be killed, those companions have to be pretty much regarded as dead for all other players since all future content will have to assume the possibility that those certain companion aren't available. That was always going to be the problem when allowing you to kill companions.

The only way to solve this would be that the 5 original class companions for each class would somehow have to be "resurrected" and returned to their respective classes. But that would be impossible and people would complain that their choices of who they kill don't matter.

Yes, Republic vs. Empire storyline is the way to go. Spread that storyline across a variety of in game content and we'll have a good expansion.

I'd like to see a closer colaboration of the game and the LucasArts Storyteller Group as well and make tie in when and where they can. The can and do poke their noses into things that aren't canon if they don't like the way something sounds. If it says Star Wars on it, they can make and unmake canon whenever they want.

Here's an example [from the wiki on the group]

"Story Group members Carrie Beck and Leland Chee were involved in the production of the 2016 non-canon Disney XD animated series LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures to ensure that the show did not contradict the new canon continuity.[8][9]"

That's them making sure something that is non canon is still in keeping with their standards and how it may relate as differently from canon. If it's not canon who cares? Apparently, they do.

They get a say in anything that has Star Wars on the label if the want to. They can declare non canon canon and canon non canon if they want and everything in between. Little tweeks here and there, they get a say.

I'd like to see a closer colaboration between the group and the game myself with as many tie ins as possible

I deeply believe that most people pass on trying this game because it is unrelated to the current storyline. At launch most of the content was on familiar canon planets. Now it's not. My overall hypothesis is that you could make many mistakes in a Star Wars MMO, as long as you also include lots of things that resemble the current Star Wars universe.

Honestly I doubt your statement, I think the meeting between casual SW fan and MMORPG player, or just a solo-player for it, is very small. I don't think if SWTOR ties in to Disney canon it'll automatically mean more people playing, at least not on the long term, maybe we would see a small surge in subs but chances are those people are not interested in the experience SWTOR will provide. That's my problem with your hypothesis, tying SWTOR to canon when it is not even canon in the first place, I certainly think they can draw inspiration but I'll put my reasoning on spoilers.

So beyond the fact that SWTOR is legends if they introduce a canon planet to the game, a planet that is exclusively canon that is and was created after the reboot so it's not part of both "timelines" as it is, would that story be counted as canon? If yes, does this means the rest of SWTOR content is canon? If no is content forward canon? Or only that specific storyline? If it is not canon... then what is the point of making a SWTOR daily area or expansion planet exploring an exclusively canon planet?

Again I'm sure they could work something out with the story group where they would be able to tell a legends version of the canon's planets but I really don't see why you keep wanting to limit them creatively to canon when SWTOR is not even canon in the first place.

I'd like to see a closer colaboration of the game and the LucasArts Storyteller Group as well and make tie in when and where they can. The can and do poke their noses into things that aren't canon if they don't like the way something sounds. If it says Star Wars on it, they can make and unmake canon whenever they want.

Here's an example [from the wiki on the group]

"Story Group members Carrie Beck and Leland Chee were involved in the production of the 2016 non-canon Disney XD animated series LEGO Star Wars: The Freemaker Adventures to ensure that the show did not contradict the new canon continuity.[8][9]"

That's them making sure something that is non canon is still in keeping with their standards and how it may relate as differently from canon. If it's not canon who cares? Apparently, they do.

They get a say in anything that has Star Wars on the label if the want to. They can declare non canon canon and canon non canon if they want and everything in between. Little tweeks here and there, they get a say.

I'd like to see a closer colaboration between the group and the game myself with as many tie ins as possible

Honestly I don't mind them taking inspiration but tie in creates a whole continuity mess to deal with. I'm glad people are passionate about canon, but I don't think SWTOR is the place to have canon tie-ins to the current story. Again, SWTOR is not part of it, no reason to bother tying to it or limiting continuity to it. As an example in canon there are no dark side force ghosts, at least not Sith ones from what I know. Do we retcon 2/3 of the SIth Inquisitor story just so the game can fit into canon? If I recall there was one quote from one of the story group members, Hidalgo if I recall, that they would allow the game to tell its story. Which is something I'm all for.

Edited by FlameYOL

Honestly I don't mind them taking inspiration but tie in creates a whole continuity mess to deal with. I'm glad people are passionate about canon, but I don't think SWTOR is the place to have canon tie-ins to the current story. Again, SWTOR is not part of it, no reason to bother tying to it or limiting continuity to it. As an example in canon there are no dark side force ghosts, at least not Sith ones from what I know. Do we retcon 2/3 of the SIth Inquisitor story just so the game can fit into canon? If I recall there was one quote from one of the story group members, Hidalgo if I recall, that they would allow the game to tell its story. Which is something I'm all for.

You make a very good point.

You make a very good point.

Thanks, I'm all for them taking inspiration from canon, a sandy planet full of ship wrecks would be a good new addition considering the war might need new ships and all that, but adding things directly creates this mess for the story group to deal with.

Your belief, but at least half the people that saw TLJ, hated it to the point to where they wanted George Lucas's vision, which is better and more positive, than Episode 8 was. A lot of people also no longer even care about Disney's version of Star Wars because they are so different than what GL had done to his own stories of what Episode 8 could have had.

So, in business it also comes out to how you represent a product, and how you advertise it. EA has done nothing for Swtor in the of advertisement. and it's a complete disgrace, and i wished Bioware was away from EA, because they used to be so awesome with games until EA bought them out. If Swtor could get at least some of the advertisement that so many other MMO's and other games get, i know this game could bounce back with no problem and get a good revenue going with more hiring in much needed jobs that BioWare needs for this awesome game.

Your belief, but at least half the people that saw TLJ, hated it to the point to where they wanted George Lucas's vision, which is better and more positive, than Episode 8 was. A lot of people also no longer even care about Disney's version of Star Wars because they are so different than what GL had done to his own stories of what Episode 8 could have had.

So, in business it also comes out to how you represent a product, and how you advertise it. EA has done nothing for Swtor in the of advertisement. and it's a complete disgrace, and i wished Bioware was away from EA, because they used to be so awesome with games until EA bought them out. If Swtor could get at least some of the advertisement that so many other MMO's and other games get, i know this game could bounce back with no problem and get a good revenue going with more hiring in much needed jobs that BioWare needs for this awesome game.

The lack of advertising makes me wonder if EA somehow reached the conclusion long ago that attracting players to SWTOR (a game that in the end isn't their own intellectual property and has a definite shelf life via their dated exclusive contract with Disney) somehow cannibalizes sales away from EA's own offerings, so all advertising dollars go to EA's home-grown products whose intellectual property is fully theirs.