New Scout and Strike

MrWoolie

I noticed on Dulfy's website that she put up 2 additional ships for each fraction on the calculator

Check it out for yourselves.

http://dulfy.net/2013/11/16/swtor-galactic-starfighter/

Basically, the new ships are support ships, capable of healing and buffing allies, or debuffing the enemy.

Their primary and secondary choices I feel are left wanting however.

Personally, I would not fly one of those ships. Unless bioware change the scoring system, I feel that they are grimped in terms of req earnings. They are probably also going to end up as targets for AOE mines and ion rail guns.

I noticed on Dulfy's website that she put up 2 additional ships for each fraction on the calculator

Check it out for yourselves.

http://dulfy.net/2013/11/16/swtor-galactic-starfighter/

Basically, the new ships are support ships, capable of healing and buffing allies, or debuffing the enemy.

Their primary and secondary choices I feel are left wanting however.

Personally, I would not fly one of those ships. Unless bioware change the scoring system, I feel that they are grimped in terms of req earnings. They are probably also going to end up as targets for AOE mines and ion rail guns.

So it would seem. IMO it's not really fitting either the striker or scout class since they're more offensive ships rather than support.

I think there's potential but really it seems that the striker sacrifices the multirole versatility for support ship capabilities. Looking at the engine components I'm really not liking the engine options on the striker. You pretty much loose the best mobility and dogfighting engines which I think are very important for strikers.

Now I do like the systems ability that boosts accuracy or repairs the ship. Those both seem like they have potential so loosing the weapon swap ability isn't necessarily bad. But getting sensors in place of thrusters doesn't seem like a good trade off since strikers really need the thruster components to boost their mobility or agility to be competitive in a fight. They aren't well suited as scout ships so I honestly don't get why they have sensors.

I might try them but honestly they don't look like they'll be a good alternative to existing striker variants. Which is a shame since the Type 3 Republic striker model looks pretty awesome.

The repair probe system ability should, IMO, be a percentage so every ship benefits equally from it not a flat rate since ships with the weakest total hulls will benefit more from that ability than ships with lots of hull HP.

Edited by Gavin_Kelvar

The repair probe system ability should, IMO, be a percentage so every ship benefits equally from it not a flat rate since ships with the weakest total hulls will benefit more from that ability than ships with lots of hull HP.

I think that it's normal that it increases a flat value of HP.

One reason is that HP is HP, it doesn't matter in the end if it's 5% of ship A's hull and 3% of ship B's hull.

Second reason is to make Deflective Armor (more dmg reduction) shine. Otherwise it would have near to no-purpose.

Edited by Altheran

Seems like this new ships are meant for "Squadron/Wing Commanders" guiding the true scouts and strikes into battle and support them by boosting their ability and their survival just like real commanders do in battle.

think is a real nice idea hope its work out, sadly most pilots our out for their own glory and requisition points than aiding their teams into victory.

I would have thought that both of the new ships would have had an inate bonus to sensor & comms range over the other ships, but they don't. If you remove the default choice they both have 15k sensor range & 12.5k comms range, and yet have the lower speed/etc that one would (presumably) expect of a support/C&C ship.

I would have thought that both of the new ships would have had an inate bonus to sensor & comms range over the other ships, but they don't. If you remove the default choice they both have 15k sensor range & 12.5k comms range, and yet have the lower speed/etc that one would (presumably) expect of a support/C&C ship.

NONE of the ships have ANY base abilities over the default class. I think that if they did this, it would improve the game. But instead, we are left with components being the all of it.

In any event, at least the strike HAS sensors, unlike the other strikes.

So, I really really like the sound of these.

Strike: Trading a magazine and thrusters for sensors and armor/reactor is cool. But what really clinches this is the level of component access, specifically the odd choices available for missiles and the excellent systems component. An aoe heal pulse sounds absolutely amazing, as does the massive aoe accuracy + gun power buff. The system disable one will also be interesting. I seriously am pumped for this interesting and cool support strike- it was everything I was hoping for.

Scout: With a similar philosophy, this guy has odd secondary choices and an aoe system buff option.

Both of the ships trade away their thrusters, a powerful dogfighting trick, in exchange for a more leader-y set of secondaries. Neither can access barrel roll, but both have an otherwise solid set of those. These combine to make a ship that isn't a pushover in close quarters but can't be specced to fly effortlessly across the field, but who has solid options as far as the rest of the build goes.

So far I'm really excited!

think is a real nice idea hope its work out, sadly most pilots our out for their own glory and requisition points than aiding their teams into victory.

Altruism is nice, and team play is great. But it only gets you so far under the current system when you are getting rewarded with 50-60% of the rest of those 'glory hogs' you refer to.

There will need to be some changes if these ships hope to be viable, and those changes are not within the playing community. You need to be rewarded for objective play and support. Currently you are not, and thus these ships will be gimped from the start without adjustment.

There will need to be some changes if these ships hope to be viable, and those changes are not within the playing community. You need to be rewarded for objective play and support. Currently you are not, and thus these ships will be gimped from the start without adjustment.

Not to mention, that all those new and funky buff abilities will be useless if they are affected by lag in the same way as EMP-Field.

Edited by Sindariel

Support ships like these will simply tilt the field more heavily to the organized groups. As if they needed it.

It will make taking a sat much more possible for organized teams. But it will also make taking the sats AWAY from organized teams very, very hard. It's almost impossible already.

Disorganized teams will probably mostly shun these because of the lack of Barrel Roll (even after nerfing). Organized teams will take these ships to start for the Tensor FIeld, cap the sats fast, and then be able to hold them. We could start seeing a lot more near-shutouts in Domination, as opposed to the typical, guaranteed 700-300 wins we usually see now.

Myeah, I came to the same conclusion. And besides, as nice as things like repair drone is in supporting other ships, I generally feel like you can better support your allies by just contributing another gun to a fight.

I guess we'll see. So far both variants seem like one trick ponies.

Support ships like these will simply tilt the field more heavily to the organized groups. As if they needed it.

It will make taking a sat much more possible for organized teams. But it will also make taking the sats AWAY from organized teams very, very hard. It's almost impossible already.

Disorganized teams will probably mostly shun these because of the lack of Barrel Roll (even after nerfing). Organized teams will take these ships to start for the Tensor FIeld, cap the sats fast, and then be able to hold them. We could start seeing a lot more near-shutouts in Domination, as opposed to the typical, guaranteed 700-300 wins we usually see now.

Exactly. They won't necessarily fair well in pugs since you may lack the organization to utilize them. I kinda feel that at least for the strikers swapping the sensor for the thruster component would be a good idea so they at least can maintain most of the striker's dogfighting potential (if at a somewhat decreased level lacking the ability to swap weapons) so that in a pug they won't be so dependent on teamwork.

I'm also kinda iffy with the striker having both thermite and proton torpedoes. It seems like you've basically given the ship the option to use protons or the proton's little brother the thermite. I think giving them concussion missiles would make more sense.

The primary weapons look overall good although I think heavy cannons should be there to give a little more range variety. Still it isn't a bad range of options.

I also have my doubts on the engine components. Having the power dive and Koiogran seems a little weird since they're so similar. IMO swapping one of those two for retro thrusters would be good since it wouldn't increase mobility but would give them a little more variety in tactical options as I very much doubt that the other two engine components will be used since they don't break missile locks.

There may be potential but I think they really need to tweak the ships more so that they can stand on their own and not be ships that rely on the quality of teammates to make a difference. IMO that's the biggest problem creating striker and scout varieties that are support ships, those classes are the front line fighters of the game and the weapon selections they have put them in the thick of it so they need to be solid enough that they stand on their own and be competitive with other front line fighters.

Edited by Gavin_Kelvar

E

I'm also kinda iffy with the striker having both thermite and proton torpedoes. It seems like you've basically given the ship the option to use protons or the proton's little brother the thermite. I think giving them concussion missiles would make more sense.

That's actually what I found interesting. It says flat out in the Clarion's description that its secondary weapons are more suited for heavily armored or stationary objectives. It flat out doesn't make sense in current game modes. It's why the second gunship type is laughed at. Bombers are too apt to take cover, and turrets aren't robust enough to require a dedicated assault platform. Perhaps this might be some kind of hint at some kind of siege/assault mode? In current modes aoe buff/debuffs are slightly useful in domination, not particularly useful at all in deathmatch.

Almost makes you wonder if they might be useful tools for some mechanic in another mode. Perhaps an infiltrator to sneak in and sabotage while the command ships prep an assault group for a run? Yeah, still only really useful for coordinated group, but I can dream, can't I?

i'm a little disappointed in the lack of dumb-fire rockets on the Bloodmark, to a lesser extent the loss of Barrel Roll... i won't fully judge it yet until i get to fly it, but sadly it seems gimped compared to the Blackbolt... also, i figured being a support/reconnaissance craft it'd be faster than the Blackbolt, you know like most support/recon aircraft... gotta say, first impression, i'm a bit let down, as i value speed above all else, especially in a support/recon craft, like the Lockheed SR-71 was for it's time (Mach 3+, can easily outrun missiles by going full burn on it's afterburners)... Edited by Elly_Dawn

Currently the count is 4 gunships, 3 strike fighters, 3 scouts, and 3 bombers. So to keep things fair? We should have one more strike fighter, scout and bomber added to keep things fair. Just no more ships on the cartel market! Those things are overpriced as hell! Make them fleet requisition unlocks.

Currently the count is 4 gunships, 3 strike fighters, 3 scouts, and 3 bombers.

No, the count is two gunships, two strike fighters, two scouts, and two bombers. The third variants you speak of are just cartel market guys. We are kind of due more of them- each gunship has a clone, after all. Wouldn't you like a cartel market Pike and Novadive? How about the dronecarriers? I'd like that a good deal.

So to keep things fair? We should have one more strike fighter, scout and bomber added to keep things fair.

Nothing is unfair about the current situation.

So, lemme break this down for you:

The devs planned three ships of each of five types. That's three strikes, three scouts, three gunships, three bombers, and three infiltrators. These ships all exist in some prototype state. Some of the ships have exact clones mechanically available from the cartel market.

We were expecting a command strike and a support scout, and now we will have them. We suspect that the planned third gunship would be able to swap primary weapons and have only one railgun- a generally poor niche given that they can't give the ship a better turning radius passively. Likewise, we don't know what a fighter/bomber would look like.

Just no more ships on the cartel market!

I like those a great deal. I want them to continue making them.

Those things are overpriced as hell! Make them fleet requisition unlocks.

There is ALWAYS a fleet requisition version of anything on the cartel market. In case anyone is curious:

The Gladiator/Enforcer is the type 1 strike (Starguard/Rycer)

The Oculus/Skybolt is the type 2 scout (Flashfire/Sting )

The Demolisher/Strongarm is the type 2 gunship (comet breaker/dustmaker)

The Onslaught/Firehauler is the Dronecarrier bomber (warcarrier/legion)

i'm a little disappointed in the lack of dumb-fire rockets on the Bloodmark, to a lesser extent the loss of Barrel Roll...

These ships are more meant for support and such, so I'm not surprised that they lack barrel roll, thrusters, and the straightforward damage weapons.

I am very excited about the ships, especially the Clarion. Time will tell if my enthusiasm is well placed.

i think any new ships that are not just clones and can be specced different is a massive plus.

No matter how useful, not useful great or not so great there will always be those players that make that ship everyone thinks is crap perform amazingly.

More options of ships and their loadouts is great in my eyes.

Personally though i would have focused more on maps and game modes over ship varients but hey cant have everything lol

These ships are more meant for support and such, so I'm not surprised that they lack barrel roll, thrusters, and the straightforward damage weapons.

I am very excited about the ships, especially the Clarion. Time will tell if my enthusiasm is well placed.

because it is a recon craft with a support loadout is precisely why it needs it's speed, it will be useless if it's always too late to the party to make a difference... most of the abilities of the Bloodmark are only useful in a certain range of other craft, and if they can't keep up with who they are supposed to be supporting then it's probably not gonna work the way they intended on paper... about the only real use i can see for it is a support role holding Satellites in Domination Matches, that is once it gets there long after the other scouts...

traditionally recon craft are the fastest in your fleet as they're supposed to get in assess the situation, take pictures, drop beacons, and get out without being noticed or before they can be caught or shot down... in this case because they serve more of a support role, they have to stay with their wingmen and that won't be possible with the other 2 Scouts/Strikes getting too far ahead thus negating their wingmans support altogether... if they want a support Scout/Fighter, it should be able to keep up with the rest of its class to be of any use...

my opinion of the lack of dumb-fire weapons... a recon craft should not give away it's position when it's flying recon, the fact that every missile requires a lockon is a dead giveaway to your position every time you try to use one, thus negating the recon role and blowing your cover...

i honestly think they may need to rethink a few things about the craft that they got completely backwards for it's intended role and test it more before it goes live to make sure it's up to snuff... as it is now, it doesn't look like it will be able to keep formation at all, nor will it be able to zoom around the map dropping recon/comm/sensor beacons effectively...

Edited by Elly_Dawn

This new scout variant is just going to be canon fodder for all enemies because it has a total lack of mobility necessary for a Scout to survive.

Without Thrusters, or barrel roll, I don't get how this thing is suppose to survive against all the missile packing enemies. To say nothing of what Gunships will do to it.

Let me break down the options and my reasoning behind this, and then maybe someone can explain to me what I'm doing wrong or thinking wrong.

Primary Weapons:

Light Laser Cannon

Rapid Fire Laser Cannon

Laser Canon

These are all fine choices really. But Laser Cannons seems to be the 'mandatory' choice because of their longer range and decent damage output. I would have liked to have seen Burst as an option here, but, I'll take these. Light Laser cannons are my usual choice just because most of my battles happen at close range.

Secondary Weapons:

Ion Missles

EMP Missles

Thermite Torpedos

Is this even a choice really? EMP is going to be the mandatory choice here to shut out enemy engine abilities so you or your scouts can swoop in for the kill. Not to mention what this will do to bombers, the bane of everyone's existence. Ion isn't necessary because reliable Gunship pilots already do this, and do it very well.

Engines:

Power Dive - Does anyone actually use this now? Not something you want at all if you're always going to be hugging asteroids or cliffs to evade missile locks.

Interdiction Drive - Bombers don't even use this. I can see how it'll be useful for a scout, but, over a choice that breaks missile locks? How is this even going to be given consideration?

Snap Turn - This is probably excellent for Dog Fighting, so, I'll probably end up with this.

Koiogran Turn - See power dive.

Systems:

Combat Command - Nice!

Tensor Field - Very nice!

Sensor Beacon - With all the Anti-bomber weapons that are out now, I don't thin this'll be my personal pick.

Targeting Telemetry - I don't get this. Why would you pick something that improves your personal firepower over something that the fighter was designed to do?

Honestly, out of these choices, I'd say drop TT, and replace it with Booster Recharge to give you more "get out of trouble" options.

Shield Projector:

Shield Projector - Alright, but...

Distortion Field - This is mandatory for scouts already. Without the evasion and missile break, how long can you really last?

Repair Drone - Would if I could, but without DF, this thing is just cannon fodder. This is pointless to put on a scout, reliable support bombers already do this.

Sensors:

No comments. I really don't know enough about each choice to really decide. I just know that dampening is good for sneaking up on Gunships.

Reactor:

Really? I'm really iffy on having this over Thrusters.

Armor:

Standard choices here. Pick whatever makes you happy.

Capacitor:

Same as Armor.

Overall, this is a scout variant that doesn't have the speed, mobility, or engine endurance of a scout. There will be no escape once your engine power runs out, and once someone is on you, all you're going to be doing is begging your team mates for help since you won't have the option to make a quick and clean escape to reassess your situation and reengage.

Maybe the point of this thing isn't combat at all, that's fine, there's room in this game for a dedicated support craft, but, this thing isn't it.

To me, the Bloodmark just screams "CANNON FODDER" for Gunships, strike fighters, and other scouts. This craft will probably be relegated to flying close to Gunships and Bombers for protection. I just can't see how it'll be useful or how a dedicated pilot won't rip their hair out in frustration at the lack of speed.

If you're going to be flying a ship that's going to be stuck to hugging asteroids, cliffs, and satellites, wouldn't it be better to just fly a bomber?

After thoughts:

I think it would be better to just forget about putting the emphasis on the support role here and just have it focus on versatility. It can already do things the Blackbolt and Sting can't do with the option to mount the EMP Missles, that alone gives this thing a dedicated role in anti-bomber combat.

Give us the option to build it for combat, or for support. Throw in Barrel Roll over Power Dive, and give us thrusters. The Sting already has thrusters and a reactor.

Edited by The_Raven_Lord
After thoughts

Sensors:

No comments. I really don't know enough about each choice to really decide. I just know that dampening is good for sneaking up on Gunships.

Reactor:

Really? I'm really iffy on having this over Thrusters.

Armor:

Standard choices here. Pick whatever makes you happy.

Capacitor:

Same as Armor.

Reactors are great because they increase your survivability. Armor is a little eh since the evasion nerf, because nothing really provides huge benefits to the scout, but it's better than nothing. Capacitor is similar because the command ships are supposed to be support-based, so I'd be willing to trade it away for some kind of mobility. Sensors are a joke on every ship except a hit-and-run novadive, because sensor dampening doesn't do anything within 15 km and there's never a situation where increased sensor or communications radius does much of anything. Would definitely trade away, unless they suddenly introduce the possibility of threats appearing far away and closing in on you... but even then, default communication radius and sensor radius is so massive on every ship that you really don't get much benefit from the minor component.