Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Powertech AP Is it still viable?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > PvP
Powertech AP Is it still viable?

DeadDogBarking
12.08.2017 , 01:07 AM | #21
I love all mandos. Mercs and Pts. Just have both in the stable because they are either OP or bottom of barrel, but still fun as hell. Just use which one is at top ATM or play what is mo fun if solo.
Class change and balance is a never ending family feud.
Every sibling demands individualized treatment and gifts, but then they always complain and compare it to what their brothers and sisters received.

Lundorff
12.08.2017 , 04:36 AM | #22
Yes they are bad in ranked, but 99% of the people who try them in ranked has no clue how to make them work. If you expect to be targeted, you don't jump in the middle and get yourself killed in 10 seconds. Instead you run, run, run and let them chase you all over. Save HO until you are whitebarred and go play follow the leader with the opposing team. It should be possible for you team mates to kill one of theirs in the meanwhile.

Raansu
12.08.2017 , 09:16 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Turn-XGundam View Post
the class is focused in ranked because its easy to kill, same for dps sorc and juggs.
you focus them, kill them and once its 4vs3 your team gets a pretty big advantage
Which is why 4v4 solo queue is a joke.

kissingaiur
12.08.2017 , 10:07 AM | #24
AP PT is still "viable" in the sense of the term but not verse meta specs in ranked. It is very weak defensively verse meta classes such as marauder / sniper / merc, making it bottom tier in ranked play. You can still make it work but verse good players playing meta classes in ranked, you will lose 100% of the time.

I struggle to understand why the developers thought it was a good idea to remove 30% stun DR from PT's DPS specs. It gutted the survivablity of a class which was already barely sc****** by in PvP. The replacement utility that they received by all accounts is incredibility worse. FeelsBadMan

Play AP and Pyro in regs but if anyone wants to play PT in ranked, I would advise you to play tank spec. You will largely be more successful and not a hindrance to your team. Unless you enjoy to die over and over again lol.

DarkEcIipse
12.08.2017 , 12:51 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Lundorff View Post
Yes they are bad in ranked, but 99% of the people who try them in ranked has no clue how to make them work. If you expect to be targeted, you don't jump in the middle and get yourself killed in 10 seconds. Instead you run, run, run and let them chase you all over. Save HO until you are whitebarred and go play follow the leader with the opposing team. It should be possible for you team mates to kill one of theirs in the meanwhile.
"When The Hunter Becomes The Hunted"-

https://pa1.narvii.com/6456/bb31f7b2...8f4b02c_hq.gif

I tried..... X_X RIP Advanced Prototype.

On a serious note. I'll keep at it. atm the solo ranked is bugged anyways and finding a group that will take me will take time.
█||||(•)█Ξ█████████████████████)
"Use my referral link and realise your true destiny as a Sith Lord!Your TRUH PAWAHHH!"-7 day free sub

KendraP
12.08.2017 , 06:43 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Kazz_Devlin View Post
Hello, That's the whole dang point they are suppose too! It's a simple concept DPS|Tank|Heals the trinity system pure DPS specs are glass cannons they do insane DPS then die that's their role. Along comes Biofail the epic fail of mmo and implements the Hybrid class which puts out insane DPS but also has huge survival i.e. ....your merc's, Sniper's, jugs etc etc high bursting DPS specs with 3-4 lives depending on which OP class your running. They break trinity always have always will you can't have I win classes because human nature being what it is people will flock to the one that gives them the edge and it doesn't take a mental giant to realize ....Hey wait a minute if i spec into a merc I can do a crap ton of damage if not more and not die like I would on a SIN or a PT. At the very least if you absolutely have to have a hybrid class then you adhere to the rule where they do LESS DPS then pure DPS spec's! It's common fricken sense you have uber defense your DPS gets nerfed because after all your now a hybrid and I don't mean the lazy lame #$$ crap these GFS dev's did to merc either that was a complete joke didn't do a dang thing.
Yes, yes... all those OP jugg dps! Nerf focused defense and take the aoe DR away because they don't squish fast enough already! Because the current dps spec in one of the best positions is not a fury mara (aka a pure dps spec in all sense of the word). Definately agree, vigi and focus guardians are soo OP, nerf more!

ok i couldn't say that with a straight face. If by hybrid you mean skanks, then we can talk more. The primary reason skanks are a thing, however, is because 1. dps guardians/pt squish in seconds and 2. def/shield/absorb do nothing for PvP.

MrNihulus
12.08.2017 , 06:54 PM | #27
You can say they are "Underpowered-techs"
(I'll see myself out)
"Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan… and yet you are nothing. In the end, you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone."

Schoock
12.08.2017 , 07:29 PM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post
Yes, yes... all those OP jugg dps! Nerf focused defense and take the aoe DR away because they don't squish fast enough already! Because the current dps spec in one of the best positions is not a fury mara (aka a pure dps spec in all sense of the word). Definately agree, vigi and focus guardians are soo OP, nerf more!

ok i couldn't say that with a straight face. If by hybrid you mean skanks, then we can talk more. The primary reason skanks are a thing, however, is because 1. dps guardians/pt squish in seconds and 2. def/shield/absorb do nothing for PvP.
Jugg DPS is very easy to play and very effective. Just because they don't have a "hard" escape it doesn't mean they're bad.

And yes, I have played it. It's faceroll easy class.
Faction imbalance is the scientific term for saying player skills mature at a later age than that of the intended audience of a certain faction.

Ne'laa & other Mentally Challenged from The Red Eclipse

WayOfTheWarriorx
12.08.2017 , 09:05 PM | #29
Quote: Originally Posted by KendraP View Post

While I agree, I wouldn't classify Jugg as Op, they are still very strong in regs, even dps juggs. More so though, I think people often just take that view because of the high presense of skank tanks, and while I do understand the reason they skank in PVP and cannot blame them for doing so because tank stats just don't make that worth while, they are clearly broken, and role breaking. [At least in many peoples opinions]. I know that you would love nothing more than to play a "real" tank, and you have always stated so and that is why I have always respected your standpoint points, you call it like it is.

But skank tanks are broken, and when you are a pure DPS class and you see the DPS potentials they have and their suriviability to say nothing of how their guarding only adds to the problems, people of those types of classes tend to take a dim view of them.

Yes, the DPS thing has more do to cleaves and AOE crap they can put out than straight up DPS output, but let's face it, in PVP there are maps that make that a common occurrence, forcing grouping up of people in many instances and thus do not make their powerful cleaves and such less felt. It's common, and thus they often are putting out ridiculous amounts of DPS which quite frankly shouldn't be possible for a tank to do at all. You can use threat as a basis for needing DPS, but that's simply not the case in PVP. Once again we find where the needs of one playtype [PVE in this case} have no baring in the other and thus serve to hurt the other play type because of it. Again, not the fault of the player, the fault of the system.

While you may be a stand up player [and as far as I am concerned, you absolutely are and you have my respect for it], there are plenty of players in PVP who would continue to skank even if tank stats were made viable for PVP.

Jugg being the most commonly played skank tank variant, people sometimes don't differentiate or in some cases even realize the differences in Jugg build types. But, Jugg skank tanks, are still Juggs and they're everywhere.

I know Jugg heals don't amount to much, I do, but to pure DPS specs that couldn't heal a paper cut, especially when we are on teams without healers, we are at times envious even of jugg heals, and that's sad! heh

I think everyone knows for the most part that DPS Juggs in Ranked PVP are anything but OP. Also, for what it's worth, while they are role-breaking, I do not put skank tanks into the same category of "broken" as Mercs and Snipers. They're still melee with all the disadvantage that comes with that vs. ranged in PVP.
~ Grim

"There's a word for Lightside Sith. It's called Jedi."

Schoock
12.08.2017 , 10:31 PM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by WayOfTheWarriorx View Post
You can use threat as a basis for needing DPS, but that's simply not the case in PVP. Once again we find where the needs of one playtype [PVE in this case} have no baring in the other and thus serve to hurt the other play type because of it. Again, not the fault of the player, the fault of the system.
IF this is any part of their reasoning why they left skanks alone till now, this would be the perfect time to change it. Threat generation simply has a multiplier to it (in most cases at least): you do X damage, it generates X×Y threat. Just increasing the multiplier with a lowered damage would solve lots of the issues.

As for the tank DPS required (especially in NiM): a new tier of augments have just been introduced that actually buff overall DPS. Since all content was (and is still) possible to complete with the old augments, I don't see why some reduction in tank damage wouldn't be plausible.

But that, of course, doesn't solve the main problem: people don't want to play tank. I dare to say 80% of the skanks out there are playing it because it's rofl mode damage/survivability; they put Guard on someone cuz it's medals and go on derping.

The benefits of tanking aren't as obvious as derping or healing, and if they don't change the way tank stats work in PvP (I'm fairly sure they won't), unless you queue with a pocket healer, playing a tank as a tank is an outright waste of spot for the team. (I play my tank in tank gear because I despise the skank meta and won't jump to FotM just to top the leaderboards, but lots of times I do feel like a waste of spot - even if I taunt and guard swap and otherwise tank properly.)
Faction imbalance is the scientific term for saying player skills mature at a later age than that of the intended audience of a certain faction.

Ne'laa & other Mentally Challenged from The Red Eclipse