Player behaviour in group finder

What is it with this game and random groups? Particularly on impside but on pub side a little bit. And much less so than other games I've played. People are rude as heck, regularly and after many many runs of nasty people today I've snapped at someone who wasn't even the worst one of the day but they then goaded me over and over again and I'd lost my patience by this point so I raged back instead of just ignoring them and moving on with my life like I usually do. You know, those players who are "..." or "*** are you doing?" at you or other players when things aren't done how they want them done or when something goes wrong or a mistake has happened.

Like honestly what the hell? What are these people getting out of treating other people like this? And what is it about impside that makes this so much more common? I'm trying to play a game here which is supposed to be a fun thing to do but it's not fun when these people are turning it into a crap fest of toxicity. I'm trying to level the last of my toons to 75 on impside and it's like every 4 runs or more I'll be in a party of people who are friendly and not rude. But all the runs in between are these rude people who are at BEST people who don't say hello and don't say thanks for the group/run/whatever. It's pretty much polar opposite on pub side.

And I know, I know "It's the internet" but I've been on the internet for a very long time and very few places have I seen this toxicity so consistently than in SWTOR group finder... impside. Really.

Edited by NayaruLovegood

copero mm imp satele shan:

a guy who was in tank spec with 270 gear queued as dps... and another dps with 265 item rating...

dps 1 after getting told that he queued wrong: "its all part of the plan"

after the first boss me and the tank told them that the 2nd boss wont work out like that..

we tried anyway....

after wiping i wrote in group chat "group dps is too low"

265 dps replies: "fak you ****!" and leaves the group....

yep the number of stupidly raging internet warriors has significantly increased and its a shame :(

Edited by Opiklo

Oof yeah and that's even slightly a different issue altogether. Some of these MM's are tough even at 306 so when new players (or players not familiar with the runs) come with less than that, it can be a real pain. On pubside half the time these people are silent or will back out of they can't perform well enough. Only occasionally will they rage. Although I did join a random MM Nathema and before I even joined the map I apologised because I vowed never to do nathema with random party again, wished them luck and left. Then the healer started PMing me abuse for not joining them because they were lv70, asking me if I was retarded for not joining due to their level. A good level 70 healer might well have been fine but I just won't do Nathema with a random group anymore and did not deserve the toxicity that player threw at me via PM. x)

Oof yeah and that's even slightly a different issue altogether. Some of these MM's are tough even at 306 so when new players (or players not familiar with the runs) come with less than that, it can be a real pain. On pubside half the time these people are silent or will back out of they can't perform well enough. Only occasionally will they rage. Although I did join a random MM Nathema and before I even joined the map I apologised because I vowed never to do nathema with random party again, wished them luck and left. Then the healer started PMing me abuse for not joining them because they were lv70, asking me if I was retarded for not joining due to their level. A good level 70 healer might well have been fine but I just won't do Nathema with a random group anymore and did not deserve the toxicity that player threw at me via PM. x)

I mean, I agree abusive comments are pretty wrong, but it's also pretty rude to queue for random but be one of those people who drops out of group if you don't get one of the FPs you like.

I mean, I agree abusive comments are pretty wrong, but it's also pretty rude to queue for random but be one of those people who drops out of group if you don't get one of the FPs you like.

as it turns out, everyone is the same, op included

everyone act surprised

It hasn't been too bad as of late. I've actually found myself in some groups with nice folks who are even willing to do bonus boss stuff for achievements etc. I think the worst I've had since returning to the game 2 months ago was just being randomly kicked from MM Hammer station after the 3rd pull. It happened when I had first returned and hit 75. I had a gear rating of around 285 and nothing went wrong with the 3 pulls at all. Suddenly I get the message that I'm voted out and I asked why. No response. I chuckled at it and queued up for another and had no problems at all clearing it before that first group had finished their run.

A lot of comments on gear here, and frankly I find the "low gear" arguments originally rooted in strats that favors brute-forcing a fight over correctly managing the mechanics. I have not seen a single FP so far that really do require gear rating beyond the numbers being quoted here.

The problem is frankly many are not good players and that is compounded with low gear, but having better gear won't solve the underlying problem of:

• Barely knowing your spec (all roles).
  • Stepping out of the fire on the floor (all roles).
  • No cleansing or spending too much DPS'ing (Healers).
  • Easing off ads that are hitting the healers (Tanks and DPS).
  • Wasting taunts on the pull or double taunting the boss (Tanks).
  • Ignoring kill order (DPS).

Edited by znihilist

A lot of comments on gear here, and frankly I find the "low gear" arguments originally rooted in strats that favors brute-forcing a fight over correctly managing the mechanics. I have not seen a single FP so far that really do require gear rating beyond the numbers being quoted here.

100%. I've done even Meridian just fine with people sub-306. (Malgus is the only catch, and even then, he's not so bad.

None of the "hard" flashpoints are that hard (I've done Copera with a healing companion, for god's sake); it's just that this community is so set on skipping every piece of content it can, and just getting to the point they can spam 1 and kill every boss.

Edited by jedimasterjac

100%. I've done even Meridian just fine with people sub-306. (Malgus is the only catch, and even then, he's not so bad.

None of the "hard" flashpoints are that hard (I've done Copera with a healing companion, for god's sake); it's just that this community is so set on skipping every piece of content it can, and just getting to the point they can spam 1 and kill every boss.

True enough, but it's one thing to run in low rated gear with a pre-formed group, it's another thing when running with pugs in group-finder.

Sure, that jugg in 276 gear might be a great player, who can pull off better numbers in low gear than the average player can in full 306. Still, if I get one of the harder fp popping up with that player, I'll either do the first boss and see how it goes, or bail asap depending on what flashpoint it is. Odds are that player in the low-rated gear is only average, at best, and I really don't want to slog all the way to the final boss in Nathema and crash and burn because that jugg is only doing so-so dps and running with 2/3 of the health a 306 geared player has.

It's easy enough to spam vet flashpoints to get 300+ basic gear, that I think it is selfish for players to que for random MM fp with anything less.

On that note: please stop telling new players how 'face-roll easy' all the harder content is. There is a difference between HM/NiM level raiders who know their class and the mechanics of fights, and the average player.

True enough, but it's one thing to run in low rated gear with a pre-formed group, it's another thing when running with pugs in group-finder.

Sure, that jugg in 276 gear might be a great player, who can pull off better numbers in low gear than the average player can in full 306. Still, if I get one of the harder fp popping up with that player, I'll either do the first boss and see how it goes, or bail asap depending on what flashpoint it is.

I almost exclusively do PvE content through pugs. I never quit groups just because of the FP that pops. I almost never have to disband, irrespective of member's ilvls.

It's easy enough to spam vet flashpoints to get 300+ basic gear, that I think it is selfish for players to que for random MM fp with anything less.

I know the mechanics pretty well for every flashpoint. I've played since launch. I know my classes well. And I cannot stand Veteran mode FPs because they are role-neutral. Easy enough? Yes. Boring? Absolutely. I play the content I enjoy -- which are MMFPs -- and which I have no trouble doing, because I know my class. It's not selfish for me to queue for content I know I can do just because the number on my stat sheet isn't 306. (Selfish behavior would be leaving a group the moment you've loaded into a flashpoint just because you assume it can't be pugged. ;) )

On that note: please stop telling new players how 'face-roll easy' all the harder content is. There is a difference between HM/NiM level raiders who know their class and the mechanics of fights, and the average player.

I never said the content was face-roll easy.

I just said that the "hard" FPs (Nathema, Copero, Meridian) aren't actually all that hard. I've cleared like 2 HM Ops and never even touched NiM, so I'm not some crazy elitist raider.

Edited by jedimasterjac

What is it with this game and random groups? Particularly on impside ....

Well, a case could be made for the idea that the Imperial side has more wannabe "bad boys" who are more naturally rude, selfish, etc. Maybe even the few Republic players like that are just Imperial player's alts. 🙂

It's just a speculation though. 😉

I almost exclusively do PvE content through pugs. I never quit groups just because of the FP that pops. I almost never have to disband, irrespective of member's ilvls.

I know the mechanics pretty well for every flashpoint. I've played since launch. I know my classes well. And I cannot stand Veteran mode FPs because they are role-neutral. Easy enough? Yes. Boring? Absolutely. I play the content I enjoy -- which are MMFPs -- and which I have no trouble doing, because I know my class. It's not selfish for me to queue for content I know I can do just because the number on my stat sheet isn't 306. (Selfish behavior would be leaving a group the moment you've loaded into a flashpoint just because you assume it can't be pugged. ;) )

I completely agree with everything here. A positive attitude, knowledge of mechanics, knowledge of your class, and the willingness to non-judgmentally help people out can get you and your group through almost any situation that actually comes up on GF MM FPs.

And yeah...vets suck and I don't queue for them either. Not worth the time.

I never said the content was face-roll easy.

I just said that the "hard" FPs (Nathema, Copero, Meridian) aren't actually all that hard. I've cleared like 2 HM Ops and never even touched NiM, so I'm not some crazy elitist raider.

I like to play MM FPs too (without any ridiculous jumping sequences to skip some easy trash mobs) and often PUG them because with time it gets boring with the same people that know everything there in and out. I don't quit either unless the others are rude players. With the bolster system irating also really doesn't matter as long the player knows what to do and that only shows itself when actually trying to do the FP at least. In the end, with lower rating a boss might take a bit longer, but so what? That happens with full 306 people knowing nothing about their role and class too.

So far my experience with Nathema, Copero and the other so called hard FPs usually is, if there still is a group when my sometimes awfully long loading screen ends, then the group usually gets through to the end too. Not always without wipes, but only very rarely is the group really unable to finish the FP. The keyword is communication and explaining tactics and mechanics. Cause most people simply have no idea about how the bosses there work and often enough have been there before either not at all or maybe once or twice. Can't expect people being perfect with bosses they don't really know.

Telling people to do Vet mode is nice and well, only tactics and mechanics aren't communicated there either but instead brute forced by the players that would be able to solo vet with a comp, only, that helps nothing with the real problem of players not knowing what they do. Actually with Nathema I had more people leave instantly in Veteran (I find it boring to do solo FPs so use GF for the Vet achievements) than when I queue for the MM variant. So it's really no surprise how few know what to do there when they end up in MM.

Another aspect, ever since command points and now renown points there is a clash of interest when using the GF those wanting to have some fun in FPs and those who judge everything with a time versus reward thinking and for the best would run HS or RR all days, of course then any FP that might take a bit longer because there is no stealth class or might include a wipe because one experienced player can't just finish a boss on his own will lose there and "isn't worth the effort".

As for Imperial players quality versus Republic players, at this point with how easy it is to level new characters I think there are very few that don't at least occasionally play on both sides. So you meet the very same people when pugging. And actually my own experiences with FPs and PUG operations are better on the Empire side, as in people either knowing better what to do or following explanations.

Funny. The only rude person I've met through GF is from Pub side. But I had the best experience and met the most patient people from Imp side. And I don't pug my Pub side toon often.

Personally I have terrible experiences Impside; I'll admit I don't even pug that much Impside, because genchat alone is so toxic I can hardly bear to go that way.

Like -- Ugh, I struggle to bear it these days.

Well, a case could be made for the idea that the Imperial side has more wannabe "bad boys" who are more naturally rude, selfish, etc. Maybe even the few Republic players like that are just Imperial player's alts.

Most players sticking around for a while have toons both sides.

Personally, my experience so far is that imps are toxic as hell (compared to the other game communities I've been exposed to lately, anyway), reps are also toxic but far more commonly hugboxey... And grossly incompetent. I'd say imps are just more vocal at the end of the day, reps don't confront people as often but on the flipside it also means they're teaching less, be it content-specific tactics or class knowledge.

Which, unsurprisingly, aligns pretty well with Republic & Empire respective ideologies :):):)

Pick your poison.