Why did you nerfed companions

Sewerus

They were working fine, i could finally play solo, without worring about anything.

Kotfe was refreshing, now it will probably be as grindy as before.

I liked how my companions were op.

Now in question stand if i want to resub after month end.

You really i doing everything so i would leave this game.

Great job.

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They were working fine, i could finally play solo, without worring about anything.

Kotfe was refreshing, now it will probably be as grindy as before.

I liked how my companions were op.

Now in question stand if i want to resub after month end.

You really i doing everything so i would leave this game.

Great job.

Try it out first before jumping to conclusions. BW have to strike a balance between people who want to play without challenge and people who want to play with challenge. Dunno if they got it right here but I'll give it a go and see what happens first.

I am expecting a lot of crying about Star Fortress btw, but we'll see.

SWTOR and grind ? If this game has any grind, then it did come with KOTFE.

All the reason why people were enjoying companions as they were, to break the monotony of running same dailies everyday. It actually made older content lot more fun especially heroics.

Try it out first before jumping to conclusions. BW have to strike a balance between people who want to play without challenge and people who want to play with challenge. Dunno if they got it right here but I'll give it a go and see what happens first.

I am expecting a lot of crying about Star Fortress btw, but we'll see.

BW and balance should never be used in the same sentence. :p

They don't know how to do that they never have, it's either make it op or nuke it from orbit. :eek:

They were working fine, i could finally play solo, without worrying about anything.

I'm sorry for how harsh this sounds, but that's playing with toys. It's not playing a game. Games require there to be some challenge, some learning, some resistance or they cease being games and instead become toys.

I know some folks would like that. The would have no problem with the game being easy enough that they can play with their characters like they are action figures. There's nothing wrong with wanting that, but that's not what this product is intended to be.

I'm sorry for how harsh this sounds, but that's playing with toys. It's not playing a game. Games require there to be some challenge, some learning, some resistance or they cease being games and instead become toys.

I know some folks would like that. The would have no problem with the game being easy enough that they can play with their characters like they are action figures. There's nothing wrong with wanting that, but that's not what this product is intended to be.

Games are form of entertainment IE they are meant to be fun. if they stop being fun then they stop being entertaining.

welp if this ******** change because of all the crybabies that like the pointless grind means i have to spend an hour finding a group for 2+ heroics i am canceling my sub. I have played since release and done the grind already. I am done with that bs. I like grouping up for the flash points and OP's. But if everything else is back to the annoying grind then **** this. Goodjob whiners way to make a the player base drop even more

Why did they nerf companions? Here's your answer....

Hey folks,

If you haven’t yet seen the 4.0.2 patch notes, you can view them here. There are some patch notes that we wanted to highlight and talk about specifically.

• Companion base stats have been reduced.
  • Companion damage and healing output has been reduced.

Some of you will certainly ask, why the need to nerf Companions? This is something that we definitely saw the community be divided on, and it was good for us to hear feedback from both sides. Ultimately, this decision came down to our own goals for Companions, along with data on how they were performing. What we saw in those instances is that Companions, simply put, were just way too good. Their healing and damage output could be greater than that of a very skilled player with a fully maximized character. In order for you to understand why we are making these changes, we thought it best to explain our goals for Companions in Fallen Empire.

In KotFE, with a large focus on going back to story, we wanted to make sure that all of our story content was accessible to all of our players. The power that Companions bring to the table, definitely played a part in that accessibility. Companions, from a combat perspective, should complement and provide support to your character, not overshadow them. However, in looking at how strong Companions are, we may have gone a bit too far in that direction. Simply put, while playing through much of the game, there are a lot of situations in regular combat where it is practically impossible for you to be killed if you have a healing Companion. Although this can be fun for a time, this wasn’t our goal. Companions should be strong, they should fill any role you need, but they should not make your actual gameplay be overshadowed by how strong they are.

So with 4.0.2 we have brought their effectiveness down quite a bit, let’s talk about some of the specifics here:

• There isn’t a flat % that healing was reduced by. Effectiveness reduction varies greatly depending on level, Influence, level sync, etc. That being said, the healer companions are still quite competitive, but they no longer trivialize content that was meant to be challenging.
  • Healing power increase by Influence level has been increased. That means that as you scale up Influence levels with a Companion they will get more powerful per level than before. This helps to offset the base healing reduction a bit as you gain influence with your companion.

We did want to make some improvements to tanking Companions:

• We increased the threat generated by tank companions, so they should be able to hold the attention of enemy NPCs better than before.
  • We fixed an issue involving the tank companion’s mass grapple ability, it will no longer pull in enemies that are out of combat.

Will your Companions feel a bit weaker than they did when KotFE launched? Yes. But believe me they will still carry their weight and fill the role you need them to in combat. All that we ask is that you log in tomorrow, and check the changes yourself. Play around with the Companions in each role and let us know your feedback. Thanks everyone.

-eric

Reading...it's what's for dinner.

For the same reason why everything else was nerfed. A small but vocal group would not shut up about it.

I myself find this funny because it happens in every MMO and makes absolutely no sense. the outcome is usually profit loss. there has to be a special tax write off for this, considering just about every game company does the same thing.

A loud few had a problem with this, causing BioWare to retcon their design of the expansion :p

Or are people actually buying a month later they'll do this and it's just coincidental a vocal minority is also complaining about it? "all part of the plan" indeed

I'm a casual. If I wanted challenging content I would do Dungeons/raids.

For the same reason why everything else was nerfed. A small but vocal group would not shut up about it.

This^ Like seriously? I enjoyed not having to use any defense abilities outside of PvP and Ops/Tacts

I was afraid BW would eventually reduce their damage and healing. Oh well. Hopefully I still won't have to use them but I wouldn't be surprised if BW nerfed them THAT much.

Edited by Shadowonyxia

welp if this ******** change because of all the crybabies that like the pointless grind means i have to spend an hour finding a group for 2+ heroics i am canceling my sub. I have played since release and done the grind already. I am done with that bs. I like grouping up for the flash points and OP's. But if everything else is back to the annoying grind then **** this. Goodjob whiners way to make a the player base drop even more

Exactly.

The nerf is a stupid idea.

You want a challenge? Put your companion on passive and be challenged, use one with a lower influence or play undergeared.

Don't ruin it for everyone just because you feel like the game got too easy for you. You could help yourself before, but now we're all paying because you're too lazy to click the passive button.

This post makes you sound like one of those elitists that many people leave other games to escape from.

Also, when you write a game THEN you can determine what it was intended to be. Until that time I will argue the exact opposite of your inane statement. This product (using your terms) is not intended to be so totally frustrating that the majority of players, who are undoubtedly casual players, no longer enjoy playing it.

The nerf is a stupid idea.

You want a challenge? Put your companion on passive and be challenged, use one with a lower influence or play undergeared.

Don't ruin it for everyone just because you feel like the game got too easy for you. You could help yourself before, but now we're all paying because you're too lazy to click the passive button.

Majority of people who complained are mostly those who spend 8 to10 hours in front of PC everyday. For rest of us gaming is hobby and a fun time pass time. But the vocal minority as usual ruins for the majority.

Absolutely! It certainly may be a bit more challenging than before but you can complete them. The intent is that you can complete any [Heroic 2] with your Companion counting as one of the two. If you find this isn't true for any Heroics tomorrow, let us know.

-eric

Before you panic, you might want to read the Dev posts and try not make too many assumptions that will just upset you further until we see what the changes really are. It might not be as bad as you think, and according to Eric, the 2 in H2 can mean your companion and not another player. While I'm a little sad that the healing is being nerfed, I'm also not too bothered by it. Been here a really long time and I remember when companions were pretty much made of pillows. And their healing in 4.0 was pretty crazy, I could survive practically anything. I will miss that (lol) but I do agree that it probably did need to be balanced a bit. I just hope they don't swing that nerfbat too hard. :( But I'm trying to reserve judgement (and a potential freakout) until I experience it for myself.

Edited by blindxsecrets

That's an incorrect assumption.

Games do not necessarily have to have challenge. Nearly every English dictionary will have game defined as an amusement or pastime, as the first definition. Challenge, learning or competition usually doesn't get included until the second or third definition of the term game, implying that it is a subset.

The first definition listed in a dictionary is the most common and expansive meaning of a word, if ALL games were required to have challenge, learning or competition then that would have been the first definition of the term game, not the second or third.

Before you panic, you might want to read the Dev posts and try not make too many assumptions that will just upset you further until we see what the changes really are. It might not be as bad as you think, and according to Eric, the 2 in H2 can mean your companion and not another player. While I'm a little sad that the healing is being nerfed, I'm also not too bothered by it. Been here a really long time and I remember when companions were pretty much made of pillows. And their healing in 4.0 was pretty crazy, I could survive practically anything. I will miss that (lol) but I do agree that it probably did need to be balanced a bit. I just hope they don't swing that nerfbat too hard. :(

Have you tried to do H2 SF solo? it ain't easy even with the OP comps so if all H2s including SF are meant to be done with just you and your comp I don't think they know what they're doing as SF will be impossible to do as they intend with this nerf.

Edited by Anaesha

Exactly, Gorrdan.

I, for one, like my game to be entertaining. That means that if I'm getting killed by mobs in a heroic over and over again, I'm not feeling challenged, I'm feeling frustrated. The game is supposed to be enjoyable and the companions were the only way to make that happen with the level scaling being the mess that it is. But no, whiners had to ruin it for everybody because they couldn't figure out that they can make a new character that will be of a lower level and offer more challenging content and they made developers rain level scaling on us - and now they've overlooked the fact that they can actually not use a companion if they don't like how it works.

Instead of taking the perfectly legit optional nerf to themselves, they force the nerf on the entire community.