A decrease in fun

Wurble

This is I believe my first post (if I made a previous one it would have been years ago near launch).

I played the game around launch. I played for a year or so and then stopped. I came back around May or June or so.

I enjoyed some the new content that had been added in the time since I had been gone and leveled up some more characters. I loved the 12x XP for class quests allowing me to finally finish the Consular storyline (had the other 7 done previously). I think I'm an ok PVEer. I'm definitely a solo'er. I remember there was a Republic Heroic 4 bonus series mission on Balmorra that I had solo'd on a few characters that was insanely tough. I'm not the best player but I think I'm pretty decent; I've held my own in some quests that were previously not meant to solo back in 2.0 days.

Anyway, so when KOTFE early access hit and they changed companions, it was a big surprise doing heroics. But honestly, I can't say I've ever had more fun than I did during that time. I was leery about level sync at first; thinking it was going to make stuff too hard and make it so certain heroics that I had never done would be something I never would get around to ever doing. Quite the opposite. In fact, a character I had all but abandoned due to feeling like a piece of paper, my Sentinel, suddenly became my most fun character. Previously I would have to rest for like 10 seconds after each fight to regain health making questing a slog. With the companion changes I could continuously cut through my enemies with reckless abandon, tearing them to tiny little shreds with glee. Holy goodness it was awesome!

I read the posts about the companion nerf and got really worried. I finally was able to log into one of my juggernauts and I was able to go through the class quest stuff just fine with zero issue. Then I logged onto a commando. Yes, I was still able to go through class stuff just fine but I noticed that Forex and me weren't blowing the crap out of everything like we were before the nerf. Then I tried a heroic on my commando. I finished it, but it wasn't fun. Challenging? Meh. I'd say it was tedious, not challenging. I haven't tried my sentinel. My commando has always been a posterior kicker with above average survivability. I honestly felt like he was weaker now than he was in 3.0. My sentinel? I doubt she'll be any fun at all now.

There's all this talk about numbers this and numbers that. I don't know about numbers. I just know what I enjoy. I liked it before. I like it less now. Will I quit? Heck no. But it was absolutely positively WAY more fun before the nerf.

Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Bioware had found a way to make the game a lot more fun for a while. I'm kinda sad they took that away. I hope they bring at least a little of it back.

Considering BW has already said there will be a change next week (good / bad we wont know until it happens) this is yet another pointless thread about a topic that has a dozen or so threads already about this subject.

Now don't get me wrong here, I am glad that you have decided to join the forum community and would still encourage you to post more and yes voice your opinion on any topic. So don't let this post put you off doing so (though doubt it will in any case) But for crying out loud does everyone have to start a new thread, ok in your case you have a bit of an excuse as this being your first post, other players here not so much.

Be interesting to know what you make of the changes next week. hope you feel that some of the fun has been returned whatever the change brings.

Edited by DreadtechSavant

To be honest since the companion nerf I have found it very difficult to want to level any toons. The grind now present on makeb makes it unbearable. If they were going to nerf the daylights out of companions they should have put the makeb buff console back into place.

For the moment I have moved on to other games including Star Trek Online. Hopefully things will change and I will come back if not see you on Vulcan!!

Bioware had found a way to make the game a lot more fun for a while. I'm kinda sad they took that away. I hope they bring at least a little of it back.

I agree. I've been looking around at other games again. Has anyone played Dragon Age: inquisition?

I really enjoyed the storymode. Are there other games (for the pc) that play through like that?

I enjoyed leveling both before and after 4.0.2. Then again, I only do the purple missions.

I still find I can run most planetary heroics easily enough as long as I use a companion with influence 10 or above, even with a fresh 65. I save up my common crystals from leveling to buy 208 gear, and work upwards from there.

Heroic Star Fortress missions are where I hit the soloing wall. So for now I'll wait to see what comes out of the companion fix next patch.

Now if Bioware would PLEASE fix the laaaag. Lag in Star Fortresses and Odessen was bad enough pre 4.0.2 on Harbinger. Now most planets are virtually unplayable.

There was no challenge added, it just made things take longer (more downtime, longer fights) to do and made a worse grind experience. Why most feel the fun part ended and the slogfest began. The thing most people forget is we have to do those Heroic2s week after week over and over til your sick of them, to build up Alliances and help build influence and gear. Making that worse to do was not a very well thought out thing to do. Companions should have never been nerfed by 75%, a middle of the road approach was all that was needed, went from one extreme to the other extreme and caused people on every side of the issue to be upset.

Hopefully tomorrow we will find out more about the new changes to companions and Heroic2s. I figure we were not gonna get the 4.0 companions back, but i know they will not stay at the 75% nerfed state they are now either. More then likely they will tune them up to a more tolerable point were the majority will be satisfied, leaving only the extreme fringe on both sides of the issue, between OP companions or UP companions, unhappy,

All i care about is having a companion that is equal in power as me, an equal partner, especially at rank 50. They dont need to be OP, just need to hold their own weight and not feel like their a simple accessory or extra baggage.

my decrease in fun happened with patch 2.7 when:

hiddenstrike was removed from the game

acid blade turned an active ability into a passive ability

the removal of the opening stun and knockdown

concealment still feels clunky even after they brought back the stun/root/active acid blade. it just doesnt feel right anymore. even to this day, its not very often i roll concealment since heal spec gets the job done anyways and with better survivability (sap caps and node stealing in WZ's)

To be honest since the companion nerf I have found it very difficult to want to level any toons. The grind now present on makeb makes it unbearable. If they were going to nerf the daylights out of companions they should have put the makeb buff console back into place.!

While I don't want to take a side with the people arguing about the nerf, Makeb IS miserable now. Not difficult, just a slog.

Hey, just wanted to add. I tested something out today that I hadn't. I tried to run Hammer Station solo.

I had done this a bunch of times on characters all the way back to before 2.0. Way back in the early days I could only do it on my tanks. In 4.0 I smoked through it.

Well I tried on a juggernaut with a healer companion. Vette is influence level 27; haven't gotten a chance to grind her up to 50, but I figure 27 is decent enough right? 3rd pull destroyed me faster than anything I've ever seen. That's ... messed up. I mean, we're talking something I could solo way back when 50 was the max level.

So yeah, this isn't just taking away fun; it also took away content. That's super uncool.

Hey, just wanted to add. I tested something out today that I hadn't. I tried to run Hammer Station solo.

I had done this a bunch of times on characters all the way back to before 2.0. Way back in the early days I could only do it on my tanks. In 4.0 I smoked through it.

Well I tried on a juggernaut with a healer companion. Vette is influence level 27; haven't gotten a chance to grind her up to 50, but I figure 27 is decent enough right? 3rd pull destroyed me faster than anything I've ever seen. That's ... messed up. I mean, we're talking something I could solo way back when 50 was the max level.

So yeah, this isn't just taking away fun; it also took away content. That's super uncool.

I agree 100% here.

Also, if Bioware is going to make old content "new" again, then I expect (yes, expect! demand, even!) That the loot be worth it. Not some crap blue or green item that everyone is trying to sell in the GTN already. I want NICE gear. I want cool decorations. New mounts. Good stuff.

I'm not running Bioware's crappy old maze on steroids for moldy cheese. ;)

Edited by Tarkashae

I agree. I've been looking around at other games again. Has anyone played Dragon Age: inquisition?

I really enjoyed the storymode. Are there other games (for the pc) that play through like that?

I picked up The Secret World for a change of pace. I'm really enjoying the first real zone, after you finish your initial weapon training. You get an MMORPG zone with a survivial horror scenario, zombies everywhere. I don't know if it will keep up the goodness, but I've had some fun with it so far.

I picked up The Secret World for a change of pace. I'm really enjoying the first real zone, after you finish your initial weapon training. You get an MMORPG zone with a survivial horror scenario, zombies everywhere. I don't know if it will keep up the goodness, but I've had some fun with it so far.

As far as story driven MMOs go, TSW is awesome! :D

And so is Kingsmouth (the first area after the tutorial :p).

Edited by Callaron