Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

1.4 Stealth DPS infestation vs Snipers

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Gunslinger / Sniper
1.4 Stealth DPS infestation vs Snipers

NoTomorrow
09.06.2012 , 09:55 AM | #1
I am having huge concerns about Sniper PvP viability in 1.4 with the upcoming stealth dps buffs.
These classes have every possible tool to fight us on their terms while we, even if we can anticipate them, are really lacking in this department.

I understand that they are supposed to counter us, but the sniper vs concealment ops and infiltration assassins is risking to be quite one-sided match-up. Until now, our only saving grace was the small number of players playing this spec, but 1.4 WZ will be heavily infested with them.

I can handle fighting these guys when i am already positioned at WZ objective, in cover with ballistic dampers on. I am OK with being picked when on low health by these guys.. BUT! Relocating to another WZ objective will be next to impossible with these guys lurking around. Basically we will be the only class in this game forced to move in groups because alone we will be free kills while moving. As a sniper you will be unable to reinforce by yourself.

And adding insult to injury, even when these guys screw up, we are denied of killing them simply because their CD on vanish will be so ridiculously low, that they will never die to a sniper. One would hope that we would get some counter by DoTing them, and thus pulling them out of invis, but no.. Evasion and Force Shroud will remove everything..
Quote: Originally Posted by EricMusco View Post
Scatter Bombs are meant to be a fun bit of extra damage that occurs when you roll into or away from the action. That said, we’re okay with you trapping an unsuspecting enemy for a “wall bang” every now and then.

Coldin
09.06.2012 , 10:28 AM | #2
I highly doubt this one little change (mostly just for getting a speed boost) is going to swing population numbers that much. Now, if there's some other changes that directly increase DPS, then maybe we'll see more people going back to stealth.

Either way, I don't think Snipers should worry too much. You still have some of the best DPS out there, and have tools to deal with stealth if they happen to get the drop on you.

Anysao
09.06.2012 , 10:37 AM | #3
Try and roll one before you judge. It is so hard to kill anyone without our opening stealth. Concealment Ops, as of now, are useless. I'm lethality, and it's still hard. Our knives just don't do much damage.

You shouldn't need to worry. But you are right, of like 4 of them are hunting together, you have a problem.
Just watch your back.
Ooh! In Elder Scrolls Online, I get magic spells and colossal PvP! That sounds cool, but one question, where do I get a lightsaber?
Want to get a lightsaber, too? Click this text for a free trial run of The Old Republic. Returning player? No problem! Join today!

Katrasle
09.06.2012 , 05:47 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Coldin View Post
I highly doubt this one little change (mostly just for getting a speed boost) is going to swing population numbers that much. Now, if there's some other changes that directly increase DPS, then maybe we'll see more people going back to stealth.

Either way, I don't think Snipers should worry too much. You still have some of the best DPS out there, and have tools to deal with stealth if they happen to get the drop on you.
Going to agree with Coldin here. Things probably won't change as much as you think they will and if they do, you will learn to adapt. As you said, those classes are our counters, so if it's equal skill / gear they will probably beat us (if they get the jump). However, from personal experience, if you catch them in the open out of stealth, it is kind of sad how many mean things you can do to them.

PvP is all about learning how to counter your enemies, the incoming changes are no exceptions to this.

BambulaGTS
09.07.2012 , 04:35 AM | #5
ATM you can't kill ops.

Mainly because they jump and force you to use trinket, then just run away and heal. While you must be really mad to follow and try to beat them with instants on the run around pillar.

Then they jump second time knowing you are out of trinket and it is GG.

Then they know your trink will be on CD 1 min + more, prepare sedative pills

You can actually poison their little pillar-healar life with plasma probe, but that does not mean they cant find another pillar.

Werdan
09.09.2012 , 08:16 AM | #6
You might see more Deception Sins and Infiltration Shadows switching from the tank tree but I'd hardly call it an infestation. Having both a Sin and Sniper, and played both extremely well, I think all it will do is level the playing field a bit in 1v1 situations. All 3 Sniper trees have tools for dealing with enemies entering their "personal space". Some Snipers are better at using those tools than others. Learning what opposing players defensive cooldowns look like when used can make using these tools much easier. I'd suggest working on that now.

Honestly though it's a bit too early to worry about it until we have a clearer picture of what the changes to all the classes look like.
TRACE
THUNDERHIPS
ISHKA
BRUTALIZE

odonoghuet
09.09.2012 , 07:50 PM | #7
This thread makes me laugh because Republic stealthers are dominating PVP on Gav Daragon and have been for months. Can't even find ranked teams for Imp because everyone is sick of Rep stealthers.
Laugh and the universe laughs with you, cry and you're on the path to the dark side.

Beansoup
09.10.2012 , 03:30 AM | #8
It's getting out of hand on all fields, the stunlocking is insane in this game already. That and then the stealthing, and now they even buffed it. I really don't have to wonder too long to figure out what the FOTM classes on WZ's are in this patch.
B e a n s o u p
The one man institution you can always trust to deliver. Quality bartending at the Guilded Cantina since the fifth thread

tacito
09.16.2012 , 08:27 AM | #9
Well, on my server there's an average of 1 concealment operative per game I play. Which is me. Every other agent/smuggler is either a healer or a sniper/gunslinger. So, even if the addition of a small sprint ability increases the amount of concealment ops by 100%, that's still not exactly overrepresented.

Your mileage may vary, of course. But I really don't think there's that many conc ops around anymore... if they were, there'd be less marksmanship snipers. Because I agree, that particular spec is torn in half by any at least half competent concealment operative.

Most matches on my server look more like this anyway (other agents were a healer and a sniper):
http://imageshack.us/f/818/screenshot2012091021065.jpg/