Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

1.3 Stats Regarding Augments

xJACKTHERIPPERx
06.17.2012 , 02:23 PM | #1
Looking ahead to 1.3 when all our gear can be augmented, what would be the best way to go for maxing out my stats? ATM my sniper is sitting at 1839 cunning, with 39.5% crit (369 crit rating, 76.4% surge, (304 surge rating) but only 173 power. Would it be better to just add cunning augments to everything? or power, or a mix of both?
<Star Forge> Mun'da - 70 Sniper | See'vur - 70 Juggernaut | Kaasra - 70 Assassin | Vasi'us - 70 Mercenary | Inn'oss - 58 Sage | Sediya - 65 Vanguard | Yellow'Polka - 55 Sentinel | Vii'da - 55 Scoundrel

NoTomorrow
06.17.2012 , 10:35 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by xJACKTHERIPPERx View Post
Looking ahead to 1.3 when all our gear can be augmented, what would be the best way to go for maxing out my stats? ATM my sniper is sitting at 1839 cunning, with 39.5% crit (369 crit rating, 76.4% surge, (304 surge rating) but only 173 power. Would it be better to just add cunning augments to everything? or power, or a mix of both?
Power gives a little more than cunning interms of bonus damage per point. Cunning on the other ide profits from sorc mark of power cunning buff snd as well as the cunning skill. Cunning also gives a little more crit.

Unless you want to try something crazy like 6 redoubt augments, normally you will go for cunning augs.
By the time you will be able to augment your gear, other augs like crit or surge will not be useful to you as you will have them capped.

xJACKTHERIPPERx
06.18.2012 , 03:04 AM | #3
Ya, I think I'm going to just go with cunning augs, I tried the character builder on ask mr robot and tested my gear with cunning augs, and power augs, and the difference with 6 or 7 augs was like 0.3 extra bonus damage with the power augs, but i got 1% extra crit chance with the cunning ones. That's a good point about the inq buff too. I never even though of that. Thanks for the advice.
<Star Forge> Mun'da - 70 Sniper | See'vur - 70 Juggernaut | Kaasra - 70 Assassin | Vasi'us - 70 Mercenary | Inn'oss - 58 Sage | Sediya - 65 Vanguard | Yellow'Polka - 55 Sentinel | Vii'da - 55 Scoundrel

Jathuamin
06.19.2012 , 12:12 PM | #4
Cunning increases bonus damage at a rate of 0.2 dmg/cun, will power increases bonus damage at a rate of 0.23 dmg/power. The augments give 18 of either stat, so a power augment gives 4.14 bonus damage. Assuming you have both gearhead (9%) and the inquisitor buff (5%) the cunning augment actually gives 18*(1.09)*(1.05)=20.601 extra cunning. This translates to 4.12 bonus damage. So a cunning augment gives 0.02 less bonus damage but adds a small amount of crit.

I don't know the exact value of crit chance/cunning since it is affect by diminishing returns but I will personally use only cunning augments until the the crit chance they provide is <0.01%

Tibbel
06.19.2012 , 08:21 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Jathuamin View Post
I don't know the exact value of crit chance/cunning since it is affect by diminishing returns but I will personally use only cunning augments until the the crit chance they provide is <0.01%
Just to add to this, there's a graph in the compendium (linked in my signature) that shows how much crit you gain from cunning, if you're interested.

But yeah, cunning is about 10% better than power in terms of expected damage benefit.

Renita
06.19.2012 , 09:45 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Tibbel View Post
Just to add to this, there's a graph in the compendium (linked in my signature) that shows how much crit you gain from cunning, if you're interested.

But yeah, cunning is about 10% better than power in terms of expected damage benefit.
Unless I am reading the graph wrong, the link you have posted in the compendium shows power as being better than cunning. And it is my understanding that beyond 30% crit (unbuffed/untalented) that power breaks ahead as the superior stat.

Tibbel
06.20.2012 , 09:47 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Renita View Post
Unless I am reading the graph wrong, the link you have posted in the compendium shows power as being better than cunning. And it is my understanding that beyond 30% crit (unbuffed/untalented) that power breaks ahead as the superior stat.
The graph in the compendium doesn't show which stats are better -- it shows how the stats' returns diminish as the ratings go up.
About the graph -- Note that the Power_Dmg and Cunning_Dmg are on a different scale from the percentage-based stats. The scales were chosen in order to: A.) show that the bonus damage from power and cunning continue at the same rate with no diminishing returns, and B.) not have a bunch of lines crossing over each other and making the graph hard to decipher.

The relative value of a stat depends on pretty much every variable: how much of that stat you have, how much of every other stat you have, what stats your target has, which abilities you use and how often, what spec you are, etc. If you want to take those into consideration, there's a spreadsheet linked in the compendium (and in my signature below) that can help with that.

It's not accurate to say generalized things like, "beyond 30% crit, power is best," because of all the dependencies. Even the rough stat priority list in the compendium is greatly simplified and can be fairly inaccurate if your stats are much different than those used to calculate it (which, to be fair, are kind of old at this point).

As an example in case anyone wants it, crit's value depends on how much crit rating you already have (because of diminishing returns), how much surge and power you have and armor the target has (because bigger crits makes critting more often more valuable), how much accuracy you have and defense the target has (because hitting more often means you'll have more chances for a crit roll), and which skills and abilities you use (because some have differing crit or surge bonuses, and all have differing power coefficients). After all that, you have to consider those same things again for power because even if crit is great, if power is great too then that lowers the relative value of adding crit instead of power (or cunning or surge or...).

That's why there's a spreadsheet to do these things.