Did Leia lie?

FredeGail

Hello guys.

These questions has been bugging me quite a bit for the last couple of years actually.

So I'm talking about The New Hope in this case, Leia stole the Death Star Plans. Next thing she does is to tell Vader that she's on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan. What's so special there? Bail Organa?

If she was so tempted to get the plans to Alderaan, why would she store the plans in R2D2's memory, and make sure it's going to Obi-wan, would he help?

What would Bail Organa do to the plans, if that was the case?

Please discuss, I'm super interested.

Edited by FredeGail

Hello guys.

These questions has been bugging me quite a bit for the last couple of years actually.

So I'm talking about The New Hope in this case, Leia stole the Death Star Plans. Next thing she does is to tell Vader that she's on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan. What's so special there? Bail Organa? The Rebel leaders that would then go to Yavin IV

If she was so tempted to get the plans to Alderaan, why would she store the plans in R2D2's memory, and make sure it's going to Obi-wan, would he help? He was a Jedi and its better than losing the plans.

What would Bail Organa do to the plans, if that was the case? I dont understand. What did he do if they were compromised? Or if they got to him? If they were compromised then he'd be screwed. If he got them then he would attack the Death Star and make it go boom.

My answers in red.

Edited by Branch

Basically the Empire believes they have the plans of the Death Star on board their rebel ship and Leia is pretending they're actually on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan so they had no right to detain them. Why Vader assumed they only have one copy of the plans when they are every bit capable of beaming them all over the place is a big mystery.

Hello guys.

So I'm talking about The New Hope in this case, Leia stole the Death Star Plans. Next thing she does is to tell Vader that she's on a diplomatic mission to Alderaan. What's so special there? Bail Organa?

If she was so tempted to get the plans to Alderaan, why would she store the plans in R2D2's memory, and make sure it's going to Obi-wan, would he help?

What would Bail Organa do to the plans, if that was the case?

Well the plans of the death star that leia stole are to help the rebellion. She wouldn'r want the empire to take it so she put it in r2 so he could save it and get it to obi wan so he could give it to bail organa. I think Bail was apart of the rebellion so I think that was why.

Thanks, that cleared up.

So the Rebel HQ was actually on Alderaan? And why would they go to Yavin 4, which is a moon as far as I remember.

Because Alderaan is more commercial. Its a big place that the Empire knows about and probably doesn't really like. Yavin IV is more of a remote place that kinda doesn't matter to the Empire as much as Alderaan.

Yes, she lied. The Tantive IV fled after ISD Devestator (with Vader) arrived at the Battle of Toprawa. It went to its pre-arranged meeting with Rebel Alliance cruiser Liberty.

However, ISD Immortal dropped in on the Tantive/Liberty meet. Liberty's fighters fought Immortal to keep it from following as Tantive IV jumped to Tatooine. However, ISD Devestator caught up to them there, disabled the craft and boarded it.

Leia couldn't exactly tell Vader she was meeting with a rebel cruiser, and Tantive IV was Bail's ship, so she really had no choice but to try that excuse.

Edited by Kholvan

Eh... kind of.

Leia was, in fact, on her way to Alderaan. By way of Tatooine. She was there to pick up Obi-Wan Kenobi to recruit him for the cause. A real living Jedi would have emboldened the Rebellion.

We know this because of Leia's message to Ben in the movie.

General Kenobi.

Years ago, you served my father in the Clone Wars. Now he begs you to help him in his struggle against the Empire. I regret that I am unable to present my father's request to you in person, but my ship has fallen under attack, and I'm afraid my mission to bring you to Alderaan has failed.

I have placed information vital to the survival of the Rebellion into the memory systems of this R2 unit; my father will know how to retrieve it. You must see this droid delivered safely to him on Alderaan.

This is our most desperate hour.

Help me, Obi-Wan Kenobi. You're my only hope.

She may have been meeting a Rebel ship, but she was at Tatooine for the expressed purpose of picking up Ben for the Rebellion.

So, when Captain Antilles said, "This is a consular ship. We're on a diplomatic mission," he was not lying. They were. Leia was to meet with Obi-Wan, present Bail's plea, and provide the jedi transport back to Alderaan.

Leia lied by omission. And, had the rebel spies not sent those plans to the corvette, her mission likely would have succeeded. However, the plans would never have made it to the hands of the Alliance, making the entire thing moot.

Edited by JacenHallis

One thing that got my brain doing somersaults - why would a member of the Imperial Senate be on a diplomatic mission to her own planet? Granted, she omitted the bit about Obi-Wan, but the implication was that she was the emissary going to Alderaan, not Obi-Wan.