Wheres the guide for..

-Sev

Defense>Shield>Absorb is the general priority I've seen for Kinetics.

Defense is simply the most effective mechanism for damage avoidance since it completely ignores the incoming damage and debuffs. Defense also decreases the relative value of Shield and Absorb because the Defense roll takes place before the Shield/Crit roll. Shield is more valuable than Absorb because you want to stabilize your incoming damage to make it easier to heal.

Whether a specific stat is the best to take at any specific time fluctuates heavily because there is heavy interaction between them, but, in general, I would use that priority without focusing on one to the exclusion of the others (high shield without a decent absorb isn't gonna do much; massive defense without any shield or absorb is gonna make you really hard to heal because of spiky incoming damage; high absorb without any shield is gonna be pointless because you need to block in order for the high absorb to be useful).

Defense>Shield>Absorb is the general priority I've seen for Kinetics.

Defense is simply the most effective mechanism for damage avoidance since it completely ignores the incoming damage and debuffs. Defense also decreases the relative value of Shield and Absorb because the Defense roll takes place before the Shield/Crit roll. Shield is more valuable than Absorb because you want to stabilize your incoming damage to make it easier to heal.

Whether a specific stat is the best to take at any specific time fluctuates heavily because there is heavy interaction between them, but, in general, I would use that priority without focusing on one to the exclusion of the others (high shield without a decent absorb isn't gonna do much; massive defense without any shield or absorb is gonna make you really hard to heal because of spiky incoming damage; high absorb without any shield is gonna be pointless because you need to block in order for the high absorb to be useful).

Do you know exacts? like to what end?

Do you know exacts? like to what end?

If you're asking for me to tell you what amounts you want to aim for, you're not gonna get it. There hasn't been sufficient theorycrafting done to get to that point. Suffice it to say, Defense is the most potent but least reliable, and Shield and Absorb interact so much that it's largely pointless to weigh them against each other on a standard scale. You'll want all of them, but you'll want to weigh them based upon the priority list I gave earlier.

So just to get this straight. From what your saying, Your shield chance should never be higher than your defense? and thus you should stack defense over your chance and than stack absorption to what your shield chance is at that point? Edited by -Sev

So just to get this straight. From what your saying, Your shield chance should never be higher than your defense? and thus you should stack defense over your chance and than stack absorption to what your shield chance is at that point?

No, I'm saying your ratings should be weighted as such. The values themselves are going to vary based upon your talents and active buffs. It also doesn't mean you should ignore an item with 20 absorb because you currently have an item with 15 defense. More is always better, but, when making tiebreaker decisions, follow the priority list and your better judgment as to whether you have "enough" defense to focus on shield and/or absorb.

what someone should stack for shadow tanking? I haven't seen anything and it seems opinion varies greatly on what to stack. Anyone mind offering some advice?

So I take it you didn't see the Sticky topic at the top of this forum called the jedi Shadow's handbook?? which has exactly what you are asking for ....

So I take it you didn't see the Sticky topic at the top of this forum called the jedi Shadow's handbook?? which has exactly what you are asking for ....

He's also asking to have his hand held. Of course he cant find this information on his own.

He's also asking to have his hand held. Of course he cant find this information on his own.

Quite rude. tbh I had trouble finding it through the massive wall of texts that exist. They lay out base stats and have absolutely no idea on how to tell players how to judge there own stats. Unless of course you can quote me and prove me wrong. How am I to judge what I should have as stats. Then how would I know? One thing about mmos. Its more massive collaboration then anything. Also you can criticize my paragraph structure and grammar. I don't have any and I really don't care. I just wanted to say the most important parts of a guide are spec and stats to aim for when having said spec. Otherwise its a guess and an uneducated one at that. The main stats are easy to guess. The exotics are hard to learn how to stack with a spec. I searched the internets and you're faq a couple of times and found nothing. I finally posted here. I wanted to get ahead of myself and aim for something while I'm leveling but I guess I will have to wait. I don't know what else to say.

Edited by -Sev

Quite rude. tbh I had trouble finding it through the massive wall of texts that exist. They lay out base stats and have absolutely no idea on how to tell players how to judge there own stats. Unless of course you can quote me and prove me wrong. How am I to judge what I should have as stats. Then how would I know? One thing about mmos. Its more massive collaboration then anything. Also you can criticize my paragraph structure and grammar. I don't have any and I really don't care. I just wanted to say the most important parts of a guide are spec and stats to aim for when having said spec. Otherwise its a guess and an uneducated one at that. The main stats are easy to guess. The exotics are hard to learn how to stack with a spec. I searched the internets and you're faq a couple of times and found nothing. I finally posted here. I wanted to get ahead of myself and aim for something while I'm leveling but I guess I will have to wait. I don't know what else to say.

just go to the sticky in this forum it stays at the top as it doesn't move then look at the table of contents and the spec is there in plain sight no wall of text or anything.....its even a link ..... heres a clue look at numbers 04,05,06.

Use the ones there as a base,try variations you can respec the points anyway,sling your stat idea's here and apart from the normal trolls it should get some good feed back.

Yes I guess you could ask a lvl 50 for there spec but would it suit you or is it right? Only you can answer that with testing ect.

Edited by Avorniel

Really? You had no idea what a tank might need to stack for stats?

Either you aren't at the designed level to start stacking secondary stats or should probably avoid tanking at all costs because its BEYOND obvious.

Lets play a question game.

Which would a tank want as secondary stats????

A)Crit / Surge (improves the crit multiplier I can see confusion here)

B)Power (improves base damage)

C)Defense/Absorb

Which primary stat breakdown would a consular tank want?

A)Str > End

B)End > Cunning

C)Willpower > End

D)End > Willpower

Common....

C)Willpower > End

D)End > Willpower

This might be a bit misleading. Additional endurance only really serves to prevent you from being one-shot, so stacking it doesn't generate appreciable benefits for survivability (which is best accomplished by reducing incoming damage because you should be expecting heals to some extent). I would go for Willpower/End rather than End/WP, though most of the tank mods don't offer Willpower + End, instead going for End + (tank stat).

though most of the tank mods don't offer Willpower + End, instead going for End + (tank stat).

^^^^^ and from what I;ve seen of end game gear the choices are limited to rewards anyway. Its not like you get to actually choose whats on the mods as you have said so your hand cuffed in those terms.

It was just a basic this is a guideline I would follow.