GTA V Thumps SWTOR In the Budget Count! | Big Titles Coming Up!

DewyMossEmpire

I read that GTA V's game budget was $250,000,000! $50 million more than SWTOR's. WOW! Though from the looks of it, I think GTA's content will actually show for the budget, rather than....well, you know.

So let's see here, GTA V, ESO, X Rebirth, Assassin's Creed, Halo…there are some big titles coming out, some of which are largely based on MP & some are MMO's. What do you guys think about SWTOR's future as a part of the competition against all this?

In my opinion, & as it has been said before, this game has ENORMOUS potential - but sadly at this point it is just potential. If we could get non-linear & more open worlds, MP space battles (Battlefront Style) mini-games, & more customization for our characters, (as some larger points of many that might be smaller), this game would become what it ~should be & what it ~could be. But as for now, ESO looks rather enticing.

I read that GTA V's game budget was $250,000,000! $50 million more than SWTOR's. WOW! Though from the looks of it, I think GTA's content will actually show for the budget, rather than....well, you know.

So let's see here, GTA V, ESO, X Rebirth, Assassin's Creed, Halo…there are some big titles coming out, some of which are largely based on MP & some are MMO's. What do you guys think about SWTOR's future as a part of the competition against all this?

In my opinion, & as it has been said before, this game has ENORMOUS potential - but sadly at this point it is just potential. If we could get non-linear & more open worlds, MP space battles (Battlefront Style) mini-games, & more customization for our characters, (as some larger points of many that might be smaller), this game would become what it ~should be & what it ~could be. But as for now, ESO looks rather enticing.

Won't touch GTA V till I a) get a better graphics card and b) it comes out on PC. I hate consoles. Ever since I learned how to mod in Oblivion an Skyrim I absolutely hate consoles and their limitations. X Rebirth is like OMGWTFPLEASECOMESOONERNOVEMBER for me right now because I cannot wait to play in a sandbox that big.

From what I've seen of ESO, it looks good buttttt Bioware/Ea/SWTOR has taught me to be alot more cautious when it comes to optimism and MMO's. Sad really. And Assassins Creed, again for me thats a wait and see. What enticed me about the earlier ones was...believe it or not, the architecture of the world. I loved free running over buildings and "exploring" them if you will.

However, as I wind this post down, I must sadly admit the most sought after game for myself this year (and in 28 days) would be none other than Pokemon Y. What can I say, I love me some Pokemons. 90's Child for the win.

Won't touch GTA V till I a) get a better graphics card and b) it comes out on PC. I hate consoles. Ever since I learned how to mod in Oblivion an Skyrim I absolutely hate consoles and their limitations. X Rebirth is like OMGWTFPLEASECOMESOONERNOVEMBER for me right now because I cannot wait to play in a sandbox that big.

From what I've seen of ESO, it looks good buttttt Bioware/Ea/SWTOR has taught me to be alot more cautious when it comes to optimism and MMO's. Sad really. And Assassins Creed, again for me thats a wait and see. What enticed me about the earlier ones was...believe it or not, the architecture of the world. I loved free running over buildings and "exploring" them if you will.

However, as I wind this post down, I must sadly admit the most sought after game for myself this year (and in 28 days) would be none other than Pokemon Y. What can I say, I love me some Pokemons. 90's Child for the win.

Ahaha, the Pokémon closer was great xD 90's kid ftw! I remember the good ole' days of playing Blue on the fancy Black & White Gameboy heh.

I don't think Swtor budget has been confirmed. Plus we don't know how much has been set aside to maintain the game. For example people keep quoting Shenmue expense as much higher than it actually is because Sega set aside a lot of money for future games that never happened, money that Sega was never out because they set it aside not spending it.

I'm not disagreeing on the budget, I followed this game very closely. I didn't start playing until a couple months ago because, as embarrassing as this sounds the events in Revan pissed me off, but I did follow this game and Bioware/EA didn't breakdown their investment costs. For all we now all of the maintenance, patches and upgrades were factored into the initial budget and this game real cost is much less than reported because of all the money that might have been set aside for future development. I have no way of knowing if this is the case but I hope so because I've only played two stoyrlines and have a long ways to go before I play all the classes and would be very upset if the game is shut down before that happens because it's too expensive to maintain.

Why go to a burger joint and tell their customers that (a) the taco stand across the street spent more to build their restaurant, and (b) therefore the burgers those customers are eating have yet to reach a potential that justifies the initial cost of building the burger joint?

Anyway, imho regarding Star Wars future compared to the games you listed, SW is a niche market with a niche fan base ... just like all the the other titles. There's room for all of them. There just won't ever be another shooting star like WoW was in the 2000's. What percentage of the MMO market will SWTOR maintain? As long as it makes enough money to sustain support, bug fixes, content patches and occasional Xpacs ... who cares? EA shareholders? Anyone who is an EA shareholder certainly wouldn't be stupid enough to come out here and badmouth their investment.

ESO does indeed look enticing though. My wife & I signed up for beta. If it's an improvement on Skyrim's animation mechanics with Skyrim's gameplay and absolutely luscious world environment ... well ... we anticipate that it will supplant LOTRO as our fantasy sword & board MMO fix. Though word on the street is that Helms Deep is the last LOTRO expansion; and that it may be going away soon in favor of a Middle Earth MMORPG that encompasses Silmarillion, as well The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings trilogies.

Should be an interesting year for MMOs ... though we seem to keep saying that every year.

Edited by GalacticKegger