Rated PVP?

burkepeters

Bbbbreakdown...

Maras- 2 viable specs (rage and carnage)

Juggs- 2 viable specs (tank and rage)

Sniper- 3 viable specs

Op- 1 viable spec (heals)

Sorc- 2 viable specs (heals and madness)

Sin- 3 viable specs (hybid, full darkness, and deception (including the 27/14 spec)

PT- 1 viable spec (Pyro)

Merc- 1 viable-ish spec (heals)

This is an oversimplification of what will be accepted, but as far as making the best possible team these are the only truly viable specs. That doesn't mean you can't run any of the specs I categorized as "unviable" it just means they are not the best possible spec to run.

Bbbbreakdown...

Sniper- 3 viable specs

Sin- 3 viable specs (hybid, full darkness, and deception (including the 27/14 spec)

PT- 1 viable spec (Pyro)

This is an oversimplification of what will be accepted, but as far as making the best possible team these are the only truly viable specs. That doesn't mean you can't run any of the specs I categorized as "unviable" it just means they are not the best possible spec to run.

I agree with this assessment as the current model, Dec.4th/2012.

Sorcs better used as a hybrid spec particularly mainly with some lightning, to barrier bonus and some madness if you prefer, the other 2 stated leave you somewhat weaker and even less effective but can be enjoyed no matter what because of their versatility.

I've been playing the Assassin for the last two days in Warzones (only level 10 :D) and idk how the scaling works low levels but im not "topping the damage boards" but i do seem to stay alive a lot longer than others, not because i am not squishy but more because i have stealth and know how to get out of danger. Are assassins "Needed " in rated pvp? I do prefer melee

I've been playing the Assassin for the last two days in Warzones (only level 10 :D) and idk how the scaling works low levels but im not "topping the damage boards" but i do seem to stay alive a lot longer than others, not because i am not squishy but more because i have stealth and know how to get out of danger. Are assassins "Needed " in rated pvp? I do prefer melee

Needed? Many would say yes. They are very good. Tank or hybrid spec in dps gear they do very good damage, have excellent survival and amazing utility.

Best solo node guard you could imagine.

Knockback, pull, stealth, speed are almost I-Win buttons in huttball

Excellent fast-responders to a node being pressured.

Leave one stealthed in voidstar and almost guarantee the door doesn't get capped while you respawn.

Needed? Many would say yes. They are very good. Tank or hybrid spec in dps gear they do very good damage, have excellent survival and amazing utility.

Best solo node guard you could imagine.

Knockback, pull, stealth, speed are almost I-Win buttons in huttball

Excellent fast-responders to a node being pressured.

Leave one stealthed in voidstar and almost guarantee the door doesn't get capped while you respawn.

Thanks. this is kindof the thing i was going for. I like the utility and i feel my dps will improve as i level as well. need to just learn the class at this point. it is... interesting. I am not used to playing a tank class with powerful ranged abilities and stealth.

Bbbbreakdown...

Sniper- 3 viable specs

PT- 1 viable spec (Pyro)

Pretty much.... I would only make a few changes.

1. Might want to note that EVERY team needs a carnage marauder for predation

2. Sorc heals yes, but the only reason anyone would want the DPS sorc on a team is for the bubble stun, which is NOT in the madness tree. Even then with the bubbles... healing hybrid > DPS hybrid. For pure DPS I would rather have another sniper for ranged DPS.

3. Merc.... no... I mean you CAN.... but why? Any team will take an operative and a sorc healer over having a merc healer to fill either of those spots.

Bbbbreakdown...

Sniper- 3 viable specs

PT- 1 viable spec (Pyro)

This seems accurate. Though I think lethality sniper isn't viable....

Pretty much.... I would only make a few changes.

1. Might want to note that EVERY team needs a carnage marauder for predation

2. Sorc heals yes, but the only reason anyone would want the DPS sorc on a team is for the bubble stun, which is NOT in the madness tree. Even then with the bubbles... healing hybrid > DPS hybrid. For pure DPS I would rather have another sniper for ranged DPS.

3. Merc.... no... I mean you CAN.... but why? Any team will take an operative and a sorc healer over having a merc healer to fill either of those spots.

I agree with 1 and 2 (I kinda assume the mara will be switching)

However.. I think merc healers are one of the most underrated specs in the game. The main reason for this is they have an extremely high skill cap. A lot of mercs are just plain terribad and focused in regs because of their lack of escape mechanisms. They are also much more gear dependent than the other two healers. BUT if you can truly master the merc class and get in full min/maxed gear you can be an absolute monster. What they lack in escape mechanisms they make up for in pure healing power. Mercs have the strongest "big" heals (long casts) and if the team peels for the merc he can get a LOT of them off in a relatively short amount of time. Furthermore when they are truly caught out in the open they are much more durable than the other two healers (assuming the op has vanish on cd) even without their shield. A good merc healer will be nigh impossible to kill while they have their shield up. About half of the ranked games I have played on my sentinel have been with a merc healer. He was an absolute beast, he often beat our op healer (who was also quite excellent) and could take an absolute ****ton of damage. I know 99% of mercs in regs suck, but IMHO the class has real potential in the hands of a good player. All I'm saying is keep an open mind

most of this is IMO.

Does the environment seem "Competitive"? Will Bioware be implementing Skill based rewards having to do with Rating?

No, it doesn't. Even though each class seems to have a viable spec, viable doesn't mean wanted. Smash Knights/Warriors and Bubblestun Healers are easily the kings of the hill. They provide everything you need for any WZ situation. Leaps/sprints/pulls/group speed/AoE CC/and absurd defensive CDs all in only two classes. That essentially insta-wins Hutt Ball matches, which is all about mobility and utility. They also do amazing damage over an area, which is great for just about every other WZ. Snipers/Gunslingers make decent fillers with single target burst and Operative healers are stupid hard to kill, but things like Assassins and Mercs are more or less useless. They do only a few things that other classes can do, and they do them worse than said other classes. Assassin tanks have long been nerfed, Assassin DPS is mediocre and they're paper thin with pathetic defensive CDs. Mercs have too many hard casts, 0 mobility, lousy escapes, and resource issues. PTs do great single target damage and take forever to kill.

Also note that rated WZs are few and far between. Very few guilds do them, so you're liable to see the same opponents over and over again. The queues take forever and environment is FOTM based. All in all, rated PvP is incredibly dull. Thus why most premades choose non-ranked.

Bbbbreakdown...

Sniper- 3 viable specs

PT- 1 viable spec (Pyro)

The only modifications I would make to this is that I would take lethality snipers/madness sorcs out and put concealment operatives in. They make excellent solo defenders and having a stealth attack is extremely valuable in pretty much anything besides huttball, if only to get the jump on node defenders.

but things like Assassins and Mercs are more or less useless.

Assassins are the best all-round class. They may not be the best at any one thing but there's a reason why every rated team brings at least 1, often 2. You may as well forfeit every Huttball match as well if you are bringing 0.

Edited by Jenzali

Assassins are the best all-round class. They may not be the best at any one thing but there's a reason why every rated team brings at least 1, often 2. You may as well forfeit every Huttball match as well if you are bringing 0.

That's garbage. There's nothing an Assassin can do that another class can't do better. Pull? PTs can do that AND survive while doing it. Stealth? Ops have more stuns, more burst, self healing, and more defense. Deception Assassins go splat in 2 seconds. Damage... just... lol. There's no good reason to bring an Assassin other than break from the norm. They're a big bag of mediocrity.

The point of an assassin is that they have a bit of everything. None of those classes you mentioned can provide a pull, stealth, 6 second aoe interrupts at Novare Coast and be the best solo node guard in the game at the same time.

Btw the Wakajin build gives them great single target burst whilst as well. With a couple of gear sets and field respec an assassin gives you basically a decent version of everything except a healer. Sure there are tougher tanks and burstier dps, but an assassin can do a reasonable job of each depending on what you need at the time.

That's why people take at least 1.

Bbbbreakdown...

Sniper- 3 viable specs

PT- 1 viable spec (Pyro)

If you as a PT, Pyro player say that Lethality for sniper is a viable PvP Spec, than I as a Sniper can with all seriousness say that PT AP is a completely viable spec in PvP as well. If you cannot play effectively AP just as you are with Pyro, it's your problem, not a PT problem.

Besides, i have quite a few goals in huttball thanks to full resolve and hydraulic overrides :D

Edited by NoTomorrow

New player here. how is it? is each class competitive? please be pro before you say things like "all op class" or something like that.

If you are new be prepared to wait in que for a very long time for a que its almost not worth it.

But here is the break down from easiest to hardest class to play in rateds.

1. Mara / Sent, this is ultra easymode and can be played by most people esp new players, take's

little skill and can be mastered by everyone.

2. Op / scoundrel this class excells at healing and is most needed in rateds / reg wz's.

3. pt / vg has great burst and can inhibit some dps output on enemy players, a little squishy though, with out a healer they go down fast.

4. sorc / sage good healing takes a litttle more skill to play due to it being a caster relient class.

5. merc / commando, takes alot of skill due to being a ranged class, has some escape issues if their nock back is on CD.

mostly the bigest obstical for rateds is getting the que to pop.

Edited by DarthSabreth

I agree with 1 and 2 (I kinda assume the mara will be switching)

However.. I think merc healers are one of the most underrated specs in the game. The main reason for this is they have an extremely high skill cap. A lot of mercs are just plain terribad and focused in regs because of their lack of escape mechanisms. They are also much more gear dependent than the other two healers. BUT if you can truly master the merc class and get in full min/maxed gear you can be an absolute monster. What they lack in escape mechanisms they make up for in pure healing power. Mercs have the strongest "big" heals (long casts) and if the team peels for the merc he can get a LOT of them off in a relatively short amount of time. Furthermore when they are truly caught out in the open they are much more durable than the other two healers (assuming the op has vanish on cd) even without their shield. A good merc healer will be nigh impossible to kill while they have their shield up. About half of the ranked games I have played on my sentinel have been with a merc healer. He was an absolute beast, he often beat our op healer (who was also quite excellent) and could take an absolute ****ton of damage. I know 99% of mercs in regs suck, but IMHO the class has real potential in the hands of a good player. All I'm saying is keep an open mind

most of this is IMO.

Completely agree with you on everything you said about healing mandos/mercs. I play a hybrid Vanguard/tank guardian and my brother plays a healing mando, and the combo is just amazing. The problem lies in two places, and one is indeed the high skill cap. You get mandos running out of energy way too fast from not utilizing their abilities correctly (or mercs getting to max heat too quickly) and they become a sitting duck. The other problem with many mando players is they just want to heal, when you have excellent support options. You can tech override a CR and put a long term cc on someone (the cast on that long term cc is terrible without it), concussion charge has a wide array of uses with the knock back in all directions, kolto bombs AoE snare, and the list goes on. Proper utility usage is huge in ranked WZs.

Side note, I've played Tank on both my VG/Guardian on and off since launch. I've guarded every healing class, and I will take a healing Merc/Mando over the others in a heartbeat (and I even have a healing Sage and a healing Scoundrel, missing the Mando).