Game Update 7.4.1c coming April 3 ×

TOR vs WildStar

mortenpro

If you had stopped your statement with what I have above your point would have been listened to, but you tossed an insult in to end your coment, so now others will ignore your point and focus on you being a D-bag.

However you have a valid point. I too liked parts of Wildstar. I disagree that it was a better game. It was a prettier game and exploration was fun. There were fun things to do that didn't involve combat, story, crafting etc.

Unfortunately the comment that i hear most often from the 30+ year old gamers is that it is too cartoony, to childish looking and that it has a very immature feel. The Combat tells are awkward and the mob tuning is chaotic in places.

The gamers in their 20's are fine with look and feel, but often complain that the attunement process makes no sense and is a giant waste of time.

I know a great many WoW players that played Wildstar and asked, "why did they take everything that sucked about WoW, everything that WoW abandoned because it, either didn't work, or people didn't like and make their entire game revolve around that?"

The answer is simple; Carbine focused on gamers like themselves, the uber hardcore. They made the mistake of thinking that their silo represented the whole of the gaming community.

By all reports (official financial statements, in game accounts of low playership and NCsofts's owe reports showing that Wildstar's earnings are extreamly low) Wildstar has failed. They made a hardcore game and their current population, those still professing their undying love for WildStar's greatness, are the population that they created this game for.

It is a BEAUTIFUL game, it's just a shame that they didn't do their homework and truly understand their target market and their AVAILABLE market before they jumped in to a "Hardcore raiders only" spin with both feet. If they had understood their markets, then I think that Wildstar could have been THE MMO that we are all playing. But they made a really, really bad move and Wildstar is little more that a joke.

Calling someone a biodrone is an insult? You are acting a bit sensitive now.

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"I have a 'far better' [your words] option to spend my entertaining dollars on, but I'm going to spend them on this one, anyway."

Rethink which one of us is simple.

Evidently you have not read very many of the other posts in this thread.

Or it could be that I paid for a large amount of sub time ahead of time with SW:TOR...(I totally did, 10 USD for 2 months of sub, I got a bunch). My friend and I currently raid HM content, I like the story. There are still things I like, but I will probably be subbing to Wildstar again soon. As SW:TOR only has a few hours of content a week for me.

As for others comments of Wildstar, there are differing opinion. I view the combat as the best that is currently out there for a western MMO. It takes a bit of skill to play. Unlike SW:TOR, where the average group can't manage to kill a boss where you do nothing but stand in a corner, and don't aoe. The trade system they use is far superior, with it we might not have the idiocy that is SW:TOR GTN, where everyone undercuts by large amounts and a steady price is rarely if ever established due to market limits. The art style of Wildstar is appalling in my eyes, the story seemed bland and cliche'd. SW:TOR's art style is great, and the story, while generally one sided to the republic (they even get extra content) is good. Both games have balancing issues, but SW:TOR's issues are getting near EQ2 standards. The new outfit designer is a clone of what Wildstar uses, but with less options. The new FPs that everyone thinks are far too difficult, are about on the same level as the Wildstar intro group zones. I like a bit of a challenge, but challenge doesn't sell.

But at the end of the day, I still have a bit of fun on SW:TOR, and care enough about what is going on with it. I'm also beta'ing skyforge as well. How dare I like multiple things and want all of them to be better / have a higher standard.

So again, are you simple?

No, but it seems you are. Either that or willfully blind to Wildstar's impending collapse

1) hey arent you from the STO forums too?

2) I get the feeling that a lot of people on the WS forums are "blind to Wildstar's impending collapse". Or maybe they are just hopeful that the company can turn the game around, or maybe they are in denial. That is just the impression that i get from a lot of the people on there.

For me i also think that WS is overall a better game but only by a little bit, but a couple of minor issues here and there come together and just make the game not fun to play. One of those is my gut telling me that the game will not pull out of its slump and continue downwards. I think its a better game, but the pace at which issues are being addressed isnt where i would want it to be. Other people are apparently ok with the pace...but not me. Also a lot of their design decisions seem to be ok with most other players but to me i'm thinking "ehhh". Like when they released daily zones in one of their early content patches. It seemed like lots of people were all like "yay!!! level 50 daily zones made out of recycled level 4 zones"and they were really happy about it. But i'm thinking to myself "really? they are busting out daily zones this early in the game life? really?!".

Right now i'm just going through all the games that i have previously played because i'm getting bored too fast. I'm actually just playing SWTOR strictly as F2P, though i have the 7 day play as a sub thing active right now. After a few weeks or a month or so i'll probably pick up TSW again, or go back to GW2 or maybe go back to STO and see how crappy the game is now.

Edited by swtonewbie

Calling someone a biodrone is an insult? You are acting a bit sensitive now.

On the contrary, I never said I was offended or that your comment was offensive. I said you were acting like a D-bag.

I was being "matter-of-fact" not passive aggressive with my statement.

My point being that because you acted like a d-bag it detracted from your point which was to defend the other person and the fact that they like both games. You did something commendable, but you were a jerk about it so most people won't see that you were trying to be helpful, instead they will simply see you calling people a silly name.

You did the right thing, but followed it up with doing the wrong thing thus canceling out your polite gesture.

You have a point, it should be perfectly acceptable to like 2 rival games and people shouldn't criticize for that.

On the contrary, I never said I was offended or that your comment was offensive. I said you were acting like a D-bag.

I was being "matter-of-fact" not passive aggressive with my statement.

Are you trying to make a joke? Saying some is acting like a d-bag is a matter of opinion, not a matter of fact (unless "the fact" in question is that you wrote it).

You have a point, it should be perfectly acceptable to like 2 rival games and people shouldn't criticize for that.

Read the post I made my original comment about. It says that Wildstar is "far better" than TOR. No reasonable person would pay for a game when he has an option that is "far better." I play TOR and LotRO. Each has things I like better. If I thought LotRO was overall "far better," I'd stop playing TOR and play only LotRO. I wouldn't waste my leisure time or my leisure dollars playing a game when a "far better" one was out there.

In short, since these are TOR's forums and not Wildstar's, that person was just trolling when he wrote that Wildstar is "far better." Trolling does not get any more obvious in an MMO than posting on game Y's forums or in game Y's chat that game X is a better game, and ever more so a "far better" game.

Are you trying to make a joke? Saying some is acting like a d-bag is a matter of opinion, not a matter of fact (unless "the fact" in question is that you wrote it).

Read the post I made my original comment about. It says that Wildstar is "far better" than TOR. No reasonable person would pay for a game when he has an option that is "far better." I play TOR and LotRO. Each has things I like better. If I thought LotRO was overall "far better," I'd stop playing TOR and play only LotRO. I wouldn't waste my leisure time or my leisure dollars playing a game when a "far better" one was out there.

In short, since these are TOR's forums and not Wildstar's, that person was just trolling when he wrote that Wildstar is "far better." Trolling does not get any more obvious in an MMO than posting on game Y's forums or in game Y's chat that game X is a better game, and ever more so a "far better" game.

You don't understand much about grammar and the English language or the the purpose of the "off topic" forums do you?

"Matter of Factly" as, I was making a baseline statement with no sentiment, feeling or opinion implied. It is a figure of speech. You made a statement and followed it up with calling people names, Social norms would site that as being a D-bag move. Therefore you were acting like a d-bag by calling people a silly name after trying to make a point. I mate the statement that your actions were douchy in nature.

This is the Off topic section of the forums. I've seen people talk about Batman underwear and the consistency of their poop in this forum, i don't think that talking about WS vs TOR is a stretch. The nature of this section of the forum is you don't have to let your "fan boy" hang out and slap others in the face with it. THIS is the section to talk about what other games are doing right and wrong what SWTOR could emulate and what they should avoid.

These forums are full of opinion, you stated your opinion someone else stated theirs. Wildstar is a decent game, I played a little last night and I still, kinda like it, I mostly don't. It is very childish, from the overly "saturday morning cartoons look of the design and animation to the way the characters frolic around like I should be controlling a Nickelodeon cartoon character.

Exploration is a lot of fun though and there is a lot of game world to get lost in out there. It's no wonder that a lot of people really like it and had high hopes for it. Unfortunately with an income of just over 500k in Q4 of 2014 it's life span will likely be pretty short. With luck the folks at carbine at least banked enough cash to start a new project learning from what they did wrong and building off what they did right. That way they can bring us something that will be truly enjoyable.

You don't understand much about grammar and the English language or the the purpose of the "off topic" forums do you?

Let's check the URL of this forum ...

... http://www.swtor.com plus other stuff.

"Matter of Factly" as, I was making a baseline statement with no sentiment, feeling or opinion implied.

A dictionary will serve you well at this time. Start with "fact" then move on to "opinion."

This is the Off topic section of the forums. I've seen people talk about Batman underwear and the consistency of their poop in this forum, i don't think that talking about WS vs TOR is a stretch.

Were those posts about "Batman is better than TOR?" "My poop is better than TOR?"

... http://www.swtor.com plus other stuff.

A dictionary will serve you well at this time. Start with "fact" then move on to "opinion."

Were those posts about "Batman is better than TOR?" "My poop is better than TOR?"

You feel so strongly that we should only be talking about TOR on this forum why aren't you trolling to thread about 50 years of teen titans go or the one about Ahsoka Tano (Star Wars Rebels is still not TOR) how about the one about Shadow Realms? Are you tearing up the folks talking about Civilization? How about the guy who wants help buying a new PC? If you feel so strongly that we should only be talking about SWTOR on the SWTOR forums are you letting those who posted about the losses of Terry Pratchett and Leonard Nimoy? How about the guy talking about The Flash: 75 years? Here is the best on from page 2: WoW to start selling game time with in game gold, does that get you all fired up and ready to troll? :rak_02:

Or do you just have something against people talking about Wildstar in the SWTOR forums and how there are aspects of it they enjoy more than some aspects of SWTOR? Wildstar has likeable qualities and some folks are willing to point that out. This is the Off Topic forum and discussion of other games is allowed in this section of the forums.

Here ya go, "Matter of Fact" it doesn't ALWAYS mean a person is providing FACTUAL information.

Actually I have seen one person state that they had the flu and even "the squirts" was a better experience than a specific aspect of this game. So yes, in a way they were saying that diarrhea was better than SWTOR.

In case you missed it here is the Revan vs Batman debate. Prepare yourself, there are people in that thread that believe that Batman is better than the SWTOR character, Revan.

Edited by RiVaN_

Do I? I hadn't noticed. Maybe because you are incorrect.

http://www.swtor.com plus other stuff.

You have made a great case for the theme of, "I don't like it when a person talks about a rival game in the SWTOR froums."

These comments sound like someone who disapproves of people talking about a different game in this game's forums. Wildstar is not "far better" in my opinion, but it sure has some really great aspects that make me want to play it, or at least hope that Carbine releases a new IP that is similar, but better.

I actually feel rather sorry for Wild Star. It had an awful amount of hype for … well, a game like it was. It was strongly billed as a spiritual successor to SWG. Around here especially it was billed specifically as a " SWTOR killer," people lauding features it had over this game without actually considering how the underlying mechanics (you know, gameplay) might work. But hype -- especially that "nah nah our game is going to beat up your game nah" hype -- I've come to believe is just about the most toxic thing that can surround a new game. Sure it creates interest but it also creates unrealistic expectations. Every flaw gets focused on while the game's strengths are ignored. It makes great games seem average, good games seem bad, and average games look to be a horrible travesty.

Am I surprised WS is dying? No. But I can't really say I wanted this to happen either.

You have made a great case for the theme of, "I don't like it when a person talks about a rival game in the SWTOR froums."

Couldn't care less, other than to extent required to point it out. Because trollers gonna troll. Which is what posting "Game X is far better than game Y" in game Y's forums is.

Edited by branmakmuffin

I'd admit, I really like WildStar's Paths - Scientist and Explorer more than Soldier.

The Macrobinocular intro mission (the one on either DK or Coruscant respectively) was a step in the right direction.

If ToR was to copy anything from another MMO I would want it to be the Scientist or Explorer paths.

That being said, I hated how so many bonus missions in WildStar had timers.

Capture/kill 50 butteflies in 3 minutes!

Plant 10 seeds in 1 minute!

And even then, there was RNG on the leveling rewards.

But yeah, SWTOR would benefit from a Scientist-Explorer system being added, maybe something tied to a new Reputation using a Macrobinocular MGGS system.

I'd admit, I really like WildStar's Paths - Scientist and Explorer more than Soldier.

The Macrobinocular intro mission (the one on either DK or Coruscant respectively) was a step in the right direction.

If ToR was to copy anything from another MMO I would want it to be the Scientist or Explorer paths.

That being said, I hated how so many bonus missions in WildStar had timers.

Capture/kill 50 butteflies in 3 minutes!

Plant 10 seeds in 1 minute!

And even then, there was RNG on the leveling rewards.

But yeah, SWTOR would benefit from a Scientist-Explorer system being added, maybe something tied to a new Reputation using a Macrobinocular MGGS system.

The Paths are my favorite part, I like the explorer a lot, haven't tried scientist and soldier was OK. I maintain that if Wildstar changed a few things and tweaked others then it would be a great game. As is it is mediocre and that isn't going to change given what they have currently laid out for the future of the game.

I see your definition of "trolling" is like that of so many "I disagree with you or you disagree with me."

Dude, seriously, do you read the things you say? Do you realize how many posts you have made in the last month?

I looked at your statistics and you have posted on 20 pages worth of forum threads since late February. Each comment is a negative, angry, derogatory, mean spirited or down right nasty comment. You either bash an idea or opinion and call it stupid, bash a person and call them stupid or you are bashing the idea/opinion and the person calling both stupid.

Everyone of your posts are filled with toxic negativity. THAT is my definition of an uber troll, exactly what you are doing on every post you have made. So much negativity all built up at once isn't good for you dude. For your own sanity, you should take a break from stuff and just chill out for a while. Learn to look at the good and the bright side once in a while.

I'm sure that my above statement will be ignored or be seen as a jab at you in some way shape or form so your next comment will be equally as toxic as all the rest have been and my point will just fly right past you.

Basically I'm saying that even though I don't know you I still got your back and am suggesting that you take a break from whatever is pissing you off these days and just chill out and calm down before you give yourself a heart attack.

Dude, seriously, do you read the things you say? Do you realize how many posts you have made in the last month?

I looked at your statistics and you have posted on 20 pages worth of forum threads since late February. Each comment is a negative, angry, derogatory, mean spirited or down right nasty comment. You either bash an idea or opinion and call it stupid, bash a person and call them stupid or you are bashing the idea/opinion and the person calling both stupid.

Everyone of your posts are filled with toxic negativity. THAT is my definition of an uber troll, exactly what you are doing on every post you have made. So much negativity all built up at once isn't good for you dude. For your own sanity, you should take a break from stuff and just chill out for a while. Learn to look at the good and the bright side once in a while.

I'm sure that my above statement will be ignored or be seen as a jab at you in some way shape or form so your next comment will be equally as toxic as all the rest have been and my point will just fly right past you.

Basically I'm saying that even though I don't know you I still got your back and am suggesting that you take a break from whatever is pissing you off these days and just chill out and calm down before you give yourself a heart attack.

Perhaps he is Sith.....

• 2 weeks later...

Wildstar was just the latest in a long line of overhyped/underdelivered "WoW Killers", in fact it may have had the saddest launch of any of them. Heck, AOC was literally launched half finished and with a horribly clunky combat system and still managed to hold onto subs for longer (A shame too because graphically it is still one of the prettiest MMOs ever made).

STO has successfully lived off its cash shop for the last 2 years, almost nobody actually pays for a sub in STO, though the huge grind that they added with the Delta Rising expansion may finally drive the Trek die hards away (especially given how little grind and how great a leveling experience it had previously).

SWTOR does seem to have recovered decently from it's teething pains out the gate, it still has the best leveling experience of any theme park MMO and has a decent spread of content to suit everyone from casuals to hardcore raiders. They are doing better than many other MMOs and still manage to crank out content at a reasonable rate despite having a much smaller operating budget than Blizzard has.

EVE is not even really a comparison, EVE is a totally different game from every other MMO and currently has around 600k subs, which is the best sub numbers they have ever had. Also despite it's hardcore reputation it actually is a very friendly game for casual players ... provided you can adjust to concept that you create your own content.

Edited by mrvwbug

Your obsession with me is noted. Should I be flattered or alarmed?