The Force Awakens Official Trailer

Beniboybling

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My initial thoughts:

1. Visuals are stunning, it might be too early to say but I think they'd nailed it here.

2. Stormtroopers have different helmets? Not sure about that.

3. Lightsaber with a crossguard? I'm sorry but no. The beam also appeared... strange.

Altogether really weird and surreal seeing OT stuff like the Falcon, TIEs and Stormtroopers in a modern cinematic.

I really don't like saying this, but this teaser is... awful. By a long shot. There are so many things design-wise that I would question very harshly, that stupid cross-guard lightsaber being the most obvious of them. I really, REALLY hope stuff like that WON'T end up SWTOR.

And the CG... I don't know, but to me, this looks WORSE than what the Prequels did. Then again, this is J .J. Abrams we're talking about. It looks so much like the style of his Star Trek movies. It had a very large "fanfilm feel" to me.

Likewise, there is one thing that suprisingly annoyed me about this trailer, but that also happened for me when I saw the pilot for Star Wars Rebels: Too many musical callbacks to the Original Trilogy. I know, this sounds crazy, but I think that, at least in terms of music use, they are trying a bit too hard to invoke the feeling of the old movies. But maybe this might be the result of all those Star Wars video games in the last few years (including SWTOR) that used almost no music from the Original Trilogy, but a lot from the Prequel Trilogy instead.

On the flip side of that: no J. J. Abrams lensflare to be seen. Thank the Force.

Edited by BenKatarn

It was announced about a week ago, we knew it was coming, yeh.

Gonna watch it now :/

Edit: Hated most of it, Millenium falcon was cool though, cross guard doesn't work on the blade because a cross guard is meant to stop slicing of hands, but there's metal mini hilts that any lightsaber could cut through Making them kind of useless.

New Stormies look cool, don't like the way it was filmed at all, not in the classic Star Wars way, weird headshots and leg shots, so much CGI... Everything that made TPM bad and it worries me.

Edited by Selenial

I agree with what most has been said, it was a crappy teaser trailer and it didn't feel like Star Wars. However I did like the visuals, we know that J.J. is using a lot of practical effects so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of it wasn't CGI.

But then again CGI is in everything nowadays, nothing an be done about it.

And yeah that lightsaber is dumb as hell, it literally won't even work, its even worse than the Inquisitors weapon.

I must say I was pumped for this, not so much anymore. Then again its just a teaser trailer so perhaps its too early to judge. If its got quality acting, music and story - which the trailer didn't really portray - it will be a good movie.

P.S. Who was doing the voice over? I read over at KMC I think that it was Benedict Cumberbatch...

It's probably not Revan, it looks like Revan yes but then again so do all the Sith Warriors in SWTOR, its become something of a generic design for Sith armor. At best he'll have ties to the ancient Sith Empire.

But I feel bringing in Revan would not only make little sense, but alienate viewers.

The Falcon showing up with the main theme kicking in gave me chills. Other than that, I wasn't too impressed with the trailer.

I agree, and for me, honestly, that would been enough!!

Because all shown leading up to that have me torn - and sad. I mostly agree with the Blingboy here, the different look of the Stormtrooper on a cognitive level I can defend, as it is30 years of technological 'progress' but emotional?

Lightsaber crossguard - I really hope there's a logical explanation to that!!!!

Lost in the desert!!!!!? Hope we get a decent build up for that as well.

I once started a thread here asking if JJ really knew how important it was to get it right this time, this raises more question marks than answers....

Edited by t-darko

people need realize that there is going to be a whole lot that is new because we are talking about a completely new theme of star wars.

I don't mind the light saber its off putting and shocking at first because it isn't the "typical" theme of a light saber. But throughout the books, comic books, and movies we have seen different types of light sabers why not now?

as for the storm troopers I don't mind it because this is in the future from rotj. Just like from clone troopers, to storm troopers of the original movies there is a vast difference in looks, why not now? Its not hard to accept that the look and feel of the storm troopers' armor wouldn't change with tech. and such. All in all I'll wait to see the movie before I form an opinion . Have to takes things with a grain of salt fellow star wars fans and accept that there are going to be changes and new looks.

people need realize that there is going to be a whole lot that is new because we are talking about a completely new theme of star wars.

I don't mind the light saber its off putting and shocking at first because it isn't the "typical" theme of a light saber. But throughout the books, comic books, and movies we have seen different types of light sabers why not now?

as for the storm troopers I don't mind it because this is in the future from rotj. Just like from clone troopers, to storm troopers of the original movies there is a vast difference in looks, why not now? Its not hard to accept that the look and feel of the storm troopers' armor wouldn't change with tech. and such. All in all I'll wait to see the movie before I form an opinion . Have to takes things with a grain of salt fellow star wars fans and accept that there are going to be changes and new looks.

Quoted for truth....

And as far as the CGI....they just wrapped filming what 3 months ago? You KNOW they're gonna tighten it up more before Dec 2015 right? CGI is necessary.....I love the OG trilogy as much as anyone else. I own THE ORIGINALS on vhs, and the updated ones on DVD & BluRay. But it's 2014....I have no desire to see practical effects from the 70's.

Saw the "ball with a droid's head", saw the lightsaber, then the Southpark episode with the ****** of Indiana Jones came to mind...

Really REALLY hoping this was a gag trailer put out by the studio, but it probably is not considering my opinion of JJ's previous works. I thought he said he was more of a Star Wars guy in an interview a long time ago.

If this tease trailer is any indication of this, I do not think that phrase means what he thinks it means.

And yeah the lack of JJ's trademark Lenseflare-o-rama causes me to question if this is actually the real deal or just a gag teaser put out by the studio.

Jorm

Pretty much nailed it.

Welcome to evolution people.

Pretty much nailed it.

Welcome to evolution people.

Yea, 30 years ago the US military uniform looked different than today. I am pretty sure any military uniform 30 years ago was different. As for the complaint of the lightsaber, it actually makes sense to actually have something there to guard the hand. The guards in TOR are practically worthless. Hell, the lack of a guard on a lightsaber tends to ignore sword design basics to begin with, since the hand is very vulnerable in a sword duel with out one. Honestly, looking it over, with maybe a few modifications, I would love to have a saber that crackled like that for my sith.

And I don't get people going nope tot he hand guard anyways. If you EU lovers can accept a light whip, light batons, and even lightsaber style clubs, why is a hand guard all the sudden the straw that broke the camels back? It's more practical than a light whip.

The only thing that I really question is the droid we saw, that left me confused. But as a teaser trailer, probably not even gone through post touch ups, it was in fairly good shape.

Edited by Silverspar

Besides the cross-lightsaber is probably just owned by the guy on the trailer. People react like all sabers will look like this. And we have seen/read about weirder things like lightwhips, inquisitors' funny chakhram lightsaber hilt.

Lets not forget the first double-bladed lightsaber that has put a major development of all the jedi/sith martial disciplines in all such themed games,books, movies, tv series.

Just 4 words to add : WHEN, CARTEL MARKET, PRICE ?

Edited by Lordkoon

Yea, 30 years ago the US military uniform looked different than today. I am pretty sure any military uniform 30 years ago was different. As for the complaint of the lightsaber, it actually makes sense to actually have something there to guard the hand. The guards in TOR are practically worthless. Hell, the lack of a guard on a lightsaber tends to ignore sword design basics to begin with, since the hand is very vulnerable in a sword duel with out one. Honestly, looking it over, with maybe a few modifications, I would love to have a saber that crackled like that for my sith.

And I don't get people going nope tot he hand guard anyways. If you EU lovers can accept a light whip, light batons, and even lightsaber style clubs, why is a hand guard all the sudden the straw that broke the camels back? It's more practical than a light whip.

The only thing that I really question is the droid we saw, that left me confused. But as a teaser trailer, probably not even gone through post touch ups, it was in fairly good shape.

All valid points.

Some will not be happy unless it's something similar to their expanded universe or the previous movies. I for one, will be nerding out when this movie is released, and will gladly be standing in line for it. For those that that don't like it, show your displeasure by not attending.

Edited by Pirana

All valid points.

Some will not be happy unless it's something similar to their expanded universe or the previous movies. I for one, will be nerding out when this movie is released, and will gladly be standing in line for it. For those that that don't like it, show your displeasure by not attending.

A bit harsh I think, IF, you'd been a star wars fan the last 30 odd years, you'll be amazed of the stuff we endured . . .

Now, as someone pointed out, the x-saber looked a bit of a 'homemade' piece, considering there haven't been that much of Force wielders around on either Light or Dark, I'm pretty sure we gonna get that one explained!!

After watching the damned piece over and over again, the 'ball in a cup-droid' bugs me, I'm sorry to say but it looks like something Old George would put in his Original movies, afterwards, you know like a big Camel-giraffe walking passed the frame, I get some weird JJ Binks wibes when I see it, and y'all should know that no one is happier than me if I'm wrong!!

But on the whole I like the 'Force awakens' thought - "The force seeks balance in all thing and most of all; Balance is the Force" -Guess we gonna have some philosophical discussions here next christmas!! I'll guess nothing' will be the same again . . . just hope it will be it in a good way

A bit harsh I think, IF, you'd been a star wars fan the last 30 odd years, you'll be amazed of the stuff we endured . . .

Now, as someone pointed out, the x-saber looked a bit of a 'homemade' piece, considering there haven't been that much of Force wielders around on either Light or Dark, I'm pretty sure we gonna get that one explained!!

After watching the damned piece over and over again, the 'ball in a cup-droid' bugs me, I'm sorry to say but it looks like something Old George would put in his Original movies, afterwards, you know like a big Camel-giraffe walking passed the frame, I get some weird JJ Binks wibes when I see it, and y'all should know that no one is happier than me if I'm wrong!!

But on the whole I like the 'Force awakens' thought - "The force seeks balance in all thing and most of all; Balance is the Force" -Guess we gonna have some philosophical discussions here next christmas!! I'll guess nothing' will be the same again . . . just hope it will be it in a good way

Not harsh at all, I just call like I see it. And I've been a fan since I viewed the first one in '77 on the big screen. Well aware of what has been endured.

Things change. The same people would be debating the fundamentals of a droids saunter if they weren't pleasingly appealing as the first movie.

I would rather have Abrams' Star Wars than not have any at all. If you don't like J.J. or his movies, then quite simply don't attend, it's very simple.

Edited by Pirana

After watching the damned piece over and over again, the 'ball in a cup-droid' bugs me, I'm sorry to say but it looks like something Old George would put in his Original movies,

... and this is bad because? I'm pretty sure they're trying to a SW feel to the new SW movies