Star wars and native populations.

internaty

Now star trek has a no intervene with lower then warp tech civilisation.

And most pre space flight movie's show that native and allian vistors really get along.

In star wars more then a few planets got native inhabbitends who either get along ignore or attack the colonest.

Now here is was interested me.

Most space civilazations in most games/movies got a no interfere with primetive cultere police's.

Star wars just colonize a world with little regard to its inhabbitends and strangerly enought doesnt get blasted into space dust.

(i mean if a star wars race would land on earth and colonize with without as much as a word to the local population i think we end up nuking them)

And the few other movie's where native's and allians get along end in war.

So how do you feel about the fact that native's spiece's are often considered a minnor inconvieance is star wars?

i mean ewoke, gungangs, heck ryloth was enslave(the entire world) by the hutt's.

For that mather i never seen any native's with a real weapon it is like in star wars there the only once's with guns:S

Edited by internaty

I think you should watch a little documentary movie called "Guns, Germs, and Steel.". Star Trek is a bit lofty and optimistic in imagining that an entire massive society can live up to a prescribed set of moral ideals. And even in that milieu not every society subscribes to the Prime Directive, Klingons & Romulans for instance. Gene Roddenberry's vision of the future removed natural resource scarcity from the Federation and hence removed one of the biggest sources of conflict. And that's the biggest reason the Federation can afford to live up to such lofty ideals. In short there's no need to colonize a planet, unwelcomed, and strip it of its resources.

The colonialism you see in Star Wars is a bit more indicative of what we might deem realistic, and is certainly more reflective of what we've seen throughout Earth's history. Look at how Europe moved in on the Americas despite indigenous populations. Look at how the UK established their foothold in South Africa. Or Australia.

And Star Wars presents just as many possible scenarios. The Naboo versus the Gungans. The Trade Federation versus both the peoples of Naboo. The Empire versus the Ewoks of Endor. Oh there was conflict, and "guns, germs, & steel" played their parts either in making one side underestimate the other or to keep them at bay.

Relationships with native species advanced enough to recognize occupation end up in a couple of ways depending on who the occupiers are

Good guys = Alliance and healthy trade

Bad guys = Overwhelming force and enslavement

So, they're either going to like their predicament or not have much say in the matter. It's why it's not a major issue in Star Wars. Unless you're dealing with the Naboo or the Ewoks :p.

Edited by ObiQuiYett