Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Stats and How They Work


top_gear's Avatar


top_gear
05.14.2012 , 08:40 AM | #141
Hi, first and foremost, I want to say thanks for the awesome thread. Great stuff!

If I might suggest - you should add a grid to the graphics, that would in my opinion make it easier to read.

One more thing - I was wondering, how would you guys compare willpower vs expertise for PvP only purpose of course. Would you rather have 1700 willpower and 1000 expertise or 1500 willpower and 1200 expertise. What would you say is more useful in terms of damage? I am talking 31 Madness sorc.
(oo==[][]==oo)

Daellia's Avatar


Daellia
05.14.2012 , 11:43 AM | #142
Quote: Originally Posted by top_gear View Post
Hi, first and foremost, I want to say thanks for the awesome thread. Great stuff!

If I might suggest - you should add a grid to the graphics, that would in my opinion make it easier to read.

One more thing - I was wondering, how would you guys compare willpower vs expertise for PvP only purpose of course. Would you rather have 1700 willpower and 1000 expertise or 1500 willpower and 1200 expertise. What would you say is more useful in terms of damage? I am talking 31 Madness sorc.
It's tough to directly compare them. From a raw DPS perspective, Willpower is superior to Expertise once you have around 200-300 Expertise, so that doesn't help much, as PvPers also take it for the defensive benefits. When the patch initially dropped, I did a rough estimate based on the percentage-of-cap used at the value the community had settled on for the previous "enough" level for Expertise (500 rating), which would imply that past around 1000 expertise rating you'd be better off stacking other stats. However, this is a really wide estimate, with a couple questionable assumptions, so take it with a grain (or two or three) of salt. PvP is unfortunately significantly tougher to theorycraft than PvE.
Even Angels must kill from time to time... ~Kaedis

TxAstarte's Avatar


TxAstarte
05.14.2012 , 11:58 AM | #143
Just adding a latecomer's thanks for such a clear and understandable explanation of the various stats.

Exceptionally useful.

Okovango's Avatar


Okovango
05.27.2012 , 10:50 PM | #144
Just wondering if there was a general number based thing on how much of each we want. Ive just been upgrading my pvp gear bit by bit and trying to get PvE gear but I want to look into gear more. So is there general numbers or limits to stats, much like how over 1000 expertise is worthless to have, is there anything else like that that we should know, and is there a good number of each stat that I want for optimized gear?

Daellia's Avatar


Daellia
05.28.2012 , 05:45 AM | #145
Quote:
Just wondering if there was a general number based thing on how much of each we want. Ive just been upgrading my pvp gear bit by bit and trying to get PvE gear but I want to look into gear more. So is there general numbers or limits to stats, much like how over 1000 expertise is worthless to have, is there anything else like that that we should know, and is there a good number of each stat that I want for optimized gear?
PvP isn't really my interest or forte, so I don't have much to suggest here. I would recommend taking a look at the MMO-Mechanics PvP Forum, or perhaps reading through my Sorcerer DPS compendium and some of the replies (we don't address Expertise there, as its a PvE thread, but you can probably still get a solid idea from it).
Even Angels must kill from time to time... ~Kaedis

JSFrancois's Avatar


JSFrancois
06.15.2012 , 04:54 AM | #146
i was wondering which game file you are talking about when you quote percentages.
also the basic and special damage you mentioned quite a while ago. you had said tech damage is all special skills and the special skills are all of them except the basic one (ie. hammer shot).
i just wanted to look at these numbers and details for myself. not that i don't believe you. just wondering if i can find anything new for my class: knight, guardian / trooper, commando

Daellia's Avatar


Daellia
06.15.2012 , 10:09 AM | #147
Quote: Originally Posted by JSFrancois View Post
i was wondering which game file you are talking about when you quote percentages.
also the basic and special damage you mentioned quite a while ago. you had said tech damage is all special skills and the special skills are all of them except the basic one (ie. hammer shot).
i just wanted to look at these numbers and details for myself. not that i don't believe you. just wondering if i can find anything new for my class: knight, guardian / trooper, commando
The details are contained in the following files in your Assets folder:

swtor_en-us_global_1.tor
swtor_en-us_zed_1.tor
swtor_main_gamedata_1.tor
swtor_main_global_1.tor
swtor_main_gfx_1.tor
swtor_main_zed_1.tor

The special versus basic attacks were derived via testing, though they are also explicitly stated in the details of each ability. The files explicitly state the constants for each stat (including the percentage cap), but we had to derive the equation ourselves (it's never yet been off by even a single decimal place, though).

You can access and view the contents of the above files using a program called Nodeviewer, accessible in this post. It does have a bit of a learning curve, though.
Even Angels must kill from time to time... ~Kaedis

JSFrancois's Avatar


JSFrancois
06.15.2012 , 11:09 AM | #148
cool. thnx a lot. fast reply. should be able to +1 you. good work to your team by the way

JSFrancois's Avatar


JSFrancois
06.15.2012 , 11:34 AM | #149
another question for you. before we were unable to log our combat you're team was unsure of how much defense end game bosses had (ops bosses in particular). It was believed they had 108% - 110% however on the op you stated that they have no intrinsic extra defense under accuracy. is this true? i'm guessing you guys learned after getting a good look at the log files from combat.

if so then that would make accuracy stacking nearly pointless. unless you guys think that having a certain amount of armour penetration from going over 100% accuracy has a balance at some point with the rest of the stats.

Daellia's Avatar


Daellia
06.15.2012 , 02:21 PM | #150
Boss targets have 10% Defense. They have zero intrinsic Force Resistance, which is what Accuracy would negate on Force effects. Since we don't use melee attacks, Accuracy does nothing for us against them.

Side note: Accuracy does not and never had provided armor penetration. That was a rumor that started during Beta when someone misinterpreted the tooltip stating that Accuracy past the cap "reduces the target's Defense". They assumed that "defense" meant armor, and without any data otherwise (and very few people having access to the Beta at that time to confirm it, it still being under closed beta and NDA), this was taken as true. As the weekend betas started, we demonstrated this rumor false.

Accuracy past the cap reduces the target's effective Defense (against Melee and Ranged attacks) and Resistance (against Force and Tech attacks). Boss mobs have 10% Defense and 0% Resistance. Player targets have a base 5% Defense (except Inquisitors, which have 10%), plus any additional from skills, abilities, or gear, and 0% Resistance. There are 3 effects that I am aware of that can provide players with Resistance, however: Premonition (T3 Darkness Assassion), Scouting (T2 Concealment Operative), and the PvE Powertech 2-set tanking bonus (and their Republic mirrors, obviously). All 3 of these effects provide 2% Force and Tech resist, but none of them are common enough or large enough magnitude to gear for.
Even Angels must kill from time to time... ~Kaedis