Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
The Short Fic Weekly Challenge Thread!
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Kitar
08.24.2019 , 01:33 PM | #6241
Now for a drive by posting. ... Internet is acting up and I need to mow the grass. Hopefully I can get it finished this time before it rains again.

More Month of Meta! These prompts cover form or style rather than specific situations. The theme: Letters.

This week’s Month of Meta SFWC prompt:

Week of August 23, 2019:

Dear Editor: Prior to comment sections, there were Letters to the Editor, where newspaper or magazine readers made their opinions known, and sometimes were published. Has your character ever spoken their mind in this official way? What was the occasion? Do they troll everyone on every message board they can find? Disagree politely? Usually ignore it all but this..this cannot stand. Let your character rant in public this week.

This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

This week’s featured previous prompts are:

Windfall: Something good fell in your character’s lap, something they weren’t expecting. Does it come at an opportune time to fix a problem? Does it cause a headache (or heartache) down the road? Or do they make cider, as one does with windfall apples?

The Morning After - What seems like a good idea at night may turn out to be terrible in the morning. Or the other way around. Write about the morning after some event great or small that your character has experienced.

alaurin
08.27.2019 , 10:02 AM | #6242
Hey Everybody!! I figured I should pop in and introduce myself to those newer to the thread. As well as being a story contributor to this thread, I'm the keeper of the SFC Prompt Archive and Story Index.......or was until I went on a bit of a hiatus due to family and work keeping me very busy. Since I haven't seen anyone start a new one, I will begin the process of getting it updated. Please be patient as it's going to take several days since I am so far behind and don't always have spare time everyday. I will try to get started today unless I'm called in to work. Who knows, with the muse making her return, perhaps I'll even have a story to share in the near future.

Oh, and many thanks to Frauzet and Kit'ar for taking over the weekly prompt!! You're both so awesome!!

alaurin
08.31.2019 , 09:21 AM | #6243
Hello again!

I just wanted to pop in and let you all know I've begun the process of updating the SFC Prompt Archive and Story Index. This is a long process though and I was 25 pages behind so it's going to take me a few days to get completely up to date. To give you an idea, I just spent 2 hours on the index and only got through 8 pages of this thread.....so it is fairly time consuming. I strongly suggest any authors still lurking to check their section since I did have to shift some authors around (went over the character limit for a section). I do back everything up on my computer as I edit so if you find something missing, please let me know through a PM and I will do my best to fix it ASAP. Hopefully I will have some more free time this weekend to work on the index.

Happy writing!!

alaurin
09.03.2019 , 06:24 AM | #6244
Just dropping off this week's prompt.....better late than never!

Last prompt in Month of Meta: Letters! Hope you enjoyed them!

This week’s Month of Meta SFWC prompt:

Week of August 30, 2019:

Dearest Love: In worlds where instant communication is the norm, there’s still something special about a love letter. Where letter-writing is the only kind of long-distance messaging they’re even more treasured. Simultaneously raw and full of heartfelt emotion and meticulously edited. Every word considered and weighed. They embody the uniqueness of love. Who might your character write a love letter to? Have they ever received one? What did it say? Were the feelings reciprocated?

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust......submit it anyway!

*This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

Working Out the Kinks - When has any device, excuse, or plan ever worked on the first try? Write about a time your character’s efforts met reality and didn’t go as perfectly as intended.

Advice - In a galaxy this big there are a lot of problems to solve and there’s plenty of wisdom, given and received, to help deal with it. Your character is experienced. What advice would she give a newcomer seeking to follow her footsteps? What would he tell his children? Did a mentor give good advice? A rival? Did your character follow it? Was it useful?

Feldraeth
09.03.2019 , 08:10 AM | #6245
Aw, just missed the deadline. Welcome back Alaurin and sorry for the extra formatting on the archive thread. I have the feeling that might have been my fault...

Anyway, as always, I bring another story and not from Roan & Vette for once,

Prompt: Dear Editor
Title: Corrective Efforts
Perspective: Matrhea, Pureblood Apprentice
Word Count: 1,597
Spoilers: None
Chronology: Some time after The Top Deck
Warning: Contains mention of partial nudity

Spoiler

Author Note
Spoiler

alaurin
09.06.2019 , 03:01 PM | #6246
Happy Friday!!! Have a prompt!

Week of September 6, 2019:

Playing for Keeps: A phrase originally from the game of marbles, if you played for funsies you went home with all the marbles you brought. When playing for keeps, you kept yours plus any you knocked out of the circle, even if they were your opponent’s favorites. You might even target those on purpose. Playing for keeps suggests a risk and a chance for genuine loss from which there is no recovery. An outcome which your character does not have full control over, and will likely change things for them. This time, someone loses. Things will not be the same in the aftermath. There’s no chance for de-escalation. This week, your character is Playing for Keeps.

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust......submit it anyway!

*This week’s prompt not for you? Look for something more to your taste in the Prompt Archive. Consider all the prompts active and waiting to inspire you.

Looking Forward: No one knows the future, but that doesn’t stop us from imagining what it might hold. What about your character? What do they see in their crystal ball? Good news? Bad news? What do they see as the result of today’s decisions? Or do they live in the moment and deal with the future as it arrives? We’ve done Hope and Goals, let’s look at the pragmatic.

Membership - Our characters grow into and out of all kinds of clubs, orders, cults, fellowships, schools, social circles, and professional organizations. Write about your character’s membership in - or exclusion from - some group.

alaurin
09.13.2019 , 02:30 PM | #6247
Happy Friday the 13th! Time for a prompt.....

Week of September 13, 2019:

Adventure Time!: Adventuring isn’t a typical career. Most people stay at home with ordinary jobs, taking care of the farm figuratively or literally. What was it that changed your character’s course? Were they always adventurous? The first one climbing the rock or jumping in the pool since toddlerhood? Were they pushed into it by circumstance or a timely visit by a wizard? Gradually funneled into an adventurous life one decision at a time until they hardly recognize their lives? Explore your character’s first step off the ordinary path for the one less taken. What was your character’s very first adventure?

*Feel free to continue submitting stories for any prompt. A masterpiece missed the deadline? Don’t let it gather electronic dust, submit it anyway!

Don’t Stop Believing: Countless writers guides council you to include the moment when your character considers quitting. For some stories, it’s the centerpiece, if not the center. Somehow, they go on. Complete the quest, finish the journey, save the world, make a difference. This week, write about your character facing such a moment, and not giving up. Finding the strength to go on.

Luxuries - It’s easy to think in terms of expensive things: fine wine, silk, exquisite meals, and panoramic views. Luxuries don’t have to be expensive, or even things. One character might consider time alone a luxury. For another, enough to eat and a safe place to live. Yet another may relish the privileges their wealth affords them. What does your character consider a luxury and how do they indulge?