Archaeology and Underworld Trading New Player Help

Etarina

Wasn't sure whether to post here or in new player, but its more related to Crew Skills. After not having any Crew Skills until I was a level 35 Shadow, I did some reading and started to figure it out. Like the title, I have Archaeology, Underworld Trading, and Artifice. While in Archaeology and Underworld training I APPEAR to have levels: http://i.imgur.com/8wmUJi1.png but when I go to do missions, these levels' missions are greyed out: http://i.imgur.com/ZPcKkCx.png

I'm probably just doing something stupid, but, help please?

Many thanks!

Wasn't sure whether to post here or in new player, but its more related to Crew Skills. After not having any Crew Skills until I was a level 35 Shadow, I did some reading and started to figure it out. Like the title, I have Archaeology, Underworld Trading, and Artifice. While in Archaeology and Underworld training I APPEAR to have levels: http://i.imgur.com/8wmUJi1.png but when I go to do missions, these levels' missions are greyed out: http://i.imgur.com/ZPcKkCx.png

I'm probably just doing something stupid, but, help please?

Many thanks!

the levels that are associated in the drop down panel on the crew skills thing is basically to give you an idea on what level planet/creatures you can find that grade of material and around what level gear crafted will use those materials.

keep working on the grade one missions and grade two ones will unlock later on, i believe grade 2 ones unlock in the 60s

these levels' missions are greyed out: http://i.imgur.com/ZPcKkCx.png

So, as was indicated earlier by another responder, there are two reasons why mission levels can be grey.

The first is what that poster indicated: The level mission you're attempting is "beneath you," meaning you can do it, and will be successful, but you won't get any experience (toward furthering your crew skill level toward 400) for it. Basically, you're doing the mission simply to collect the reward.

The second is that you don't have high enough crew skill level to perform the mission. That is your case. Yes, your character is level 35, but your crew skill level is not high enough to perform the mission. the mission levels indicate character levels of approximately what level your character should be while performing the mission. Basically, it means you have a lot of catching up to do! But, it doesn't take long. And, with your character at level 35 already, the archaeology and underworld trading (or treasure hunting, if you switch) will ramp up to a character level-appropriate state in no time. Artifice may end up being the most challenging, just because you'll have to keep yourself supplied with the goods to craft the items you need in order to level it up. With crafting, the ranking is the same way, except there are colored dots next to the item that indicate whether it is easy (green) challenging (orange) or simple (grey). For simple, you won't increase your artifice level if you craft that item. Note: that ranking of easy, challenging, simple, etc., was of my own creation on-the-fly, so take it for what it's worth.

Hope that helps!

Oh, I should also note that as the next level of missions opens up to you (based on crew skill level, appx every 60 xp), you missions list will default to that level. If you want a lower level in order to gather specific materials for crafting, you have to select that from the drop down box shown in your second screen shot.

Edited by -Wes-

One more question. How do I know what my crew skill level is? Is it here: http://i.imgur.com/8wmUJi1.png or somewhere else?

yea its there.

your level for artifice is 40/400, archaeology is 31/400, and underworld trade is 19/400.

your artifice you will need to go to a trainer to learn new schematics, or learn them from the gtn or any missions, the archaeology and uwt will automatically unlock new missions as you level them up.

i believe grade 2 stuff unlocks at around 60 something

Okay, we seem to have run around back to my original question. (new screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/L4hWzCU.jpg)

IF what is on the left is my crew skill level, say 53 for Treasure Hunting, WHY is what is on the right, my crew missions, greyed out? I can't select anything except Mission Level 10-16, when by my understanding I should be able to select any of them.

Anyway, for Artifice, I DID go to the trainer to learn new schematics, so that is all straight but the other matter I'm still confused on.

The "greyed" out grades will become clickable when your crew skill level grows high enough. You have not unlocked the grade 2 missions yet.

If a mission that is unlocked to you has a grey title ~ that means you will not advance your crew skill by running that mission.

If the mission name is~

green = +1 to crew skill upon completion of that mission / lowest chance of failure

yellow = +2 "...................................................................."/ moderate chance of failure

orange = +3"...................................................................."/ highest chance of failure

Edited by Cleet_Xia

What's on your right is greyed out, because you don't actually have the skill to pull off those missions.

Run the low missions, build up skill, and you'll soon unlock the higher skill missions.

Unless you're talking about the send companion button? You need to actually click on one of the missions to select it before you can dispatch a crew member.

So what I'm hearing is the crew skill level is NOT the same as mission skill level? Got it. Thank you for the help and sticking through my noobiness.

correct

the crew skill level is out of 400(450 with 2.0), but the mission level is up to 50 (55 with 2.0).

correct

the crew skill level is out of 400(450 with 2.0), but the mission level is up to 50 (55 with 2.0).

Exactly.

As I understand it, the player level listed there ("Mission Level 10-16" for example) is an estimation of what your character should be while first pursuing those missions. If you "over-level" your crew skill (meaning your crew skill is high but your character level is low), you might find it difficult to maintain momentum on sending your companions out on missions (just because they are more expensive than what you might be able to afford through incidental credit accumulation).

Also, I find that my companions tend to fail missions more often when I pursue missions at a level above me. For example, my character is level 41 right now, and I have underworld trading (UT) at grade 6 (mission level 49-50). Archaeology (A) is at grade 5 (mission level 41-48). I rarely ever fail a mission in A, but I'll only send Zenith on a grade 6 UT mission, because the other companions tend to fail more often than not. I never fail on grade 1-4 (5 for UT) missions now, and only rarely will I fail a grade 5 A.

When we were discussing the grade increases every ~60 skill points, that was to clarify that you can't do those "higher grade" missions until you pass the threshold where the next grade opens up, regardless of your character's level.

Edited by -Wes-