Recent actions against some customer accounts

StephenReid

Second, a smaller number of accounts were warned or temporarily suspended for exploiting loot containers on Ilum. To be completely clear, while players may choose to travel to Ilum earlier than the recommended level (40+) and may loot containers if they can get to them, in the cases of those customers that were warned or temporarily suspended, they were systematically and repeatedly looting containers in very high numbers resulting in the game economy becoming unbalanced.

In all fairness though, I think from what I have heard from friends in the game that the Slicing nerf put into place a few patches ago makes using slicing to gain money through Slicing missions fail every time now. I know a number of people that have dropped Slicing all together now and went with something that could use rather than a credit gathering crew skill. Spending 2000 credits on a mission to only get back 1700 from the lockbox just makes no in-game financial sense.

Mind you, this is hearsay for me. I am an artificer/treasure hunter/archeologist on my toon and I LOVE it. :-)

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People should be playing the game, not hogging one container's loot all by themselves. Why do you think they do that? It gives them an unfair advantage over the people who do play the game like it is intended to be played. It's akin to gold farmers killing all the good mobs for loot while the normal player is left standing empty handed.

If you condone this, soon no normal player will be able to loot any good stuff cos every node or special mob will be camped by some credit farmer. Is that the way you want the game to be? I don't.

Addition to the blizzard fan who posted somewhere above me:

In Wow there was a time you couldn't farm any good materials because there would be 5 bots swarming the area cleaning out all mobs and loot 24/7. And after reporting them, it sometimes took months before they were gone. And then the next week, new ones would appear. Those bots were there for almost a year. And remember the people mining nodes underground in WotLK? So stop telling that blizzard has the solution to all of this. They don't either cos ppl are still botting battlegrounds etc. They just have had more time to contain it.

-

this. Ashara zone had 4 or 5 bots the entire time i played in wow. I could never even attempt to get the azure whelp pet because those mobs were consistently dead, looted and skinned by the bots. I reported them every day and they never were dealt with. same names for 3 years.

I FULLY support EA and Bio in their action against exploitative accounts.

I just saw this and i agreed that looting boxs or farming them could not be the reason for a ban stick to come out so i did a little looking and

IT WAS INDEED AND EXPLOIT

Here is a clip of the story on MMO-fallout

exploit: In Ilum, when control moves from Republic to Empire and vice versa, the loot boxes respawn immediately. Seeing the potential for profit, players have set up a system on servers where they simply trade control back and forth with guild members out on the field to collect the boxes. This is what Bioware is referring to by banning players for exploiting the treasure chests, and in that case I would support the temporary suspensions as long as Bioware is warning the players beforehand, which they appear to be doing, or if the activity is truly as impossible for a legitimate player to stumble upon as is being claimed.

So there you have it. It was indeed not just a few people bringing there low level toon in for a farming run it was a system set up to quickly farm and amass the credit unfairly

Edited by Harthfire

People should be playing the game, not hogging one container's loot all by themselves. Why do you think they do that? It gives them an unfair advantage over the people who do play the game like it is intended to be played. It's akin to gold farmers killing all the good mobs for loot while the normal player is left standing empty handed.

If you condone this, soon no normal player will be able to loot any good stuff cos every node or special mob will be camped by some credit farmer. Is that the way you want the game to be? I don't.

Addition to the blizzard fan who posted somewhere above me:

In Wow there was a time you couldn't farm any good materials because there would be 5 bots swarming the area cleaning out all mobs and loot 24/7. And after reporting them, it sometimes took months before they were gone. And then the next week, new ones would appear. Those bots were there for almost a year. And remember the people mining nodes underground in WotLK? So stop telling that blizzard has the solution to all of this. They don't either cos ppl are still botting battlegrounds etc. They just have had more time to contain it.

Bots? Agree. Report and Ban. No place in game.

If I want to sit at my keyboard and loot chests over and over and over again that should be my prerogative and is in fact in any other MMO I have played. It doesn't give me 'an unfair advantage' at all no more than you play 8 hours a day and I can only play 2. Is that an unfair advantage to me because you have more time to play?

I have never seen an MMO where the "Play as it's intended to be played' mentality is this rampant. MMOs are meant to be played as YOU want to play not as someone's vision for how they play. If you pay my $15 a mo, maybe, just maybe you can tell me how to play.

I didnt read all the threads here - but I have a simple solution to security container looting problem.

Add a ID to the Security Chest, and flag it to whoever loots the chest. Put a timer so that they can not reloot that Security Chest ID for (x) mins.

Bots? Agree. Report and Ban. No place in game.

If I want to sit at my keyboard and loot chests over and over and over again that should be my prerogative and is in fact in any other MMO I have played. It doesn't give me 'an unfair advantage' at all no more than you play 8 hours a day and I can only play 2. Is that an unfair advantage to me because you have more time to play?

I have never seen an MMO where the "Play as it's intended to be played' mentality is this rampant. MMOs are meant to be played as YOU want to play not as someone's vision for how they play. If you pay my $15 a mo, maybe, just maybe you can tell me how to play.

When I say play it as it is intended I don't deny you could have fun standing next to a chest and loot it every time it spawns. But I bet you would not keep that up 24/7 and you would not get filthy rich compared to other players thus gaining an unfair advantage.

Also just read the above poster's description of the exploit. In your definition this should be allowed too? (in my opinion BW should change this and not let the chest respawn, but I can imagine this being an oversight. You can't predict every possible exploit people come up with.)

I'd like to draw your attention to this part of the statement again:

The actions taken by these accounts - and again, this is a relatively low number - were not 'normal gameplay'. Everything you have listed above is what we'd consider 'normal gameplay'.

While we will not being going into further details of the accounts that were actioned against, suffice to say they were not conducting any activities similar to what you described.

This game economy is TERRIBLE anyway, thanks to your stellar crafting and gear system. Terrible!

Edited by golfevangel

eding anologies are idiotic, cause cops are not omnipotent beings with the ability to do what ever the hell they want in the world. IF bioware didnt want something they can remove it form a game, a cop cant remove drugs violence nothing from the world.

So yea, stop being an idiot.

And forcing people en masse out eather insures game death or f2p, so saying everyone who should complain, when alot of complaining should leave clearly means you have a deep hatred for this game, cause why else would you be advocated its failure so much?

I just saw this and i agreed that looting boxs or farming them could not be the reason for a ban stick to come out so i did a little looking and

IT WAS INDEED AND EXPLOIT

Here is a clip of the story on MMO-fallout

So there you have it. It was indeed not just a few people bringing there low level toon in for a farming run it was a system set up to quickly farm and amass the credit unfairly

no where in any of the responses from bioware stated that they were using that or any other exploit to loot the chests. it states that the players that were suspended were systematically and repeatedly looting containers, that was the exploit. If they were using the exploit they should have been banned not suspended since they were doing it repeatedly.

If they were using an exploit and not just taking advantage of(the definition of exploiting) the loot containers on Ilum then someone from bioware should state that. no need to go into detail only state that an exploit was used to respawn the loot containers.

Second, a smaller number of accounts were warned or temporarily suspended for exploiting loot containers on Ilum. To be completely clear, while players may choose to travel to Ilum earlier than the recommended level (40+) and may loot containers if they can get to them, in the cases of those customers that were warned or temporarily suspended, they were systematically and repeatedly looting containers in very high numbers resulting in the game economy becoming unbalanced.

are u kidding me.... this is what bioware has become of suspending accounts for going to illum and looting containers that have credits in them is apparently against the rules...

no where in any of the responses from bioware stated that they were using that or any other exploit to loot the chests. it states that the players that were suspended were systematically and repeatedly looting containers, that was the exploit. If they were using the exploit they should have been banned not suspended since they were doing it repeatedly.

If they were using an exploit and not just taking advantage of(the definition of exploiting) the loot containers on Ilum then someone from bioware should state that. no need to go into detail only state that an exploit was used to respawn the loot containers.

From Stephen's Post:

"Second, a smaller number of accounts were warned or temporarily suspended for exploiting loot containers on Ilum."

My - what is that word towards the end of the sentence. Could it be? Nah. [Looking closer] Well, I'll be.... it really is - its *gasp* EXPLOITING.

So - how is that not Stephen telling us that an EXPLOIT was used to loot the containers? Hm?

Please, once and for all - stop being wilfully dense and ignorant.

There's a lot of people responding/posting who have got it wrong.

They're banning innocent people who aren't hacking or exploiting bugs in the game.

The OP states that there are two sides to every story and then proceeds to only give BIOWARE's side of it.

Fair enough, but, then he unfairly groups the gold farmers/bug exploiters in with the people who are looting containers.

The other side of the story from the players perspective is that they jump on a shuttle to Illum; loot a container and then get a "warning" email and/or the ban hammer.

They are not hacking/exploiting bug(s) to get to Ullum or loot containers.

This is AFTER the OP has said in his post it is OK to go to Ullum AND loot the containers.

From the OP:

"Second, a smaller number of accounts were warned or temporarily suspended for exploiting loot containers on Ilum. To be completely clear, while players may choose to travel to Ilum earlier than the recommended level (40+) and may loot containers if they can get to them, in the cases of those customers that were warned or temporarily suspended, they were systematically and repeatedly looting containers in very high numbers resulting in the game economy becoming unbalanced."

I disagree, once again no hacking or exploiting of game bugs was done to reach and loot containers on Ilum. Looting was done above board and within the parameters of the game mechanics.

Subset of the above quote for OP:

"..while players may choose to travel to Ilum earlier than the recommended level (40+) and may loot containers if they can get to them..."

OK so it's OK if I go to Ulum and it's OK to loot containers as long as I can get to them, but, how does arbitrarily making the recommended level for a level 50 planet 40+ after the fact justify banning people for looting containers which you just said was OK if I go there and can reach them to loot them?

There is nowhere where it is stated that the "recommended level (40+) for a level 50 planet (Ulum) is 40+...tell me/show me where this is at? Furthermore; where does it state that if I am below level 40 and I go to Ulum and perform normal game functions/actions (looting a container) that I will be banned?

Arbitrarily and retroactively making up the rules after the fact is totally bogus.

Based upon what the OP has said in his post and actual emails from bioware to SWTOR players after they had been banned that were posted on variosu websites; I do not see myself re-subbing after my game time runs out.

To clarify my previous post. I haven't been looting containers on Ulum; nor have I revived a ban or any warning from BIOWARE. I just do not agree with the after the fact; arbitrary; unjustified banning.

bottom line: over-reacting

Edited by Amorluce

So if systematically, methodically, and in large numbers farming the containers on Illum is exploitative. What about the blatant farming of lowbies by geared 50s in a warzone? Wouldnt this be considered exploitive?

I was in a Huttball match where we had rolled against (that would be 6) premade geared 50 group they had us hemmed up on the starting platform it was either jump die or stay and get kicked from the group. Numerous remarks that stating they are farming medals/valor/commendations even had one person say farming for money.

Farming containers messes up the free market. Yet farming for Champion/Conquer gear does not mess up anything other than frustration in the entire community regardless what lvl you are on.

There are more and more people taking screenshots of taunted conversations and sending them in but nothing getting done no brackets on the test server = no brackets in the foreseeable future.(Most understand the taunting and goading--- some get really emo about it I won’t name names but their initials start with Kordun <wink>)

So if I shot to level 50 and then farmed lowbies in the warzones for valor and commendations because IF and WHEN the 50s Bracket hit I know it will be harder to get the gear would that be considered exploitative?

To clarify my previous post. I haven't been looting containers on Ulum; nor have I revived a ban or any warning from BIOWARE. I just do not agree with the after the fact; arbitrary; unjustified banning.

bottom line: over-reacting

So, what you're saying inb that rather long post, is that you actually do NOT know what was happening to cause the warnings/suspensions. It is pretty hard to form a valid opinion when you do not have all the facts.

You do not have all the facts.

Hey guys,

Just a FYI, I farm credits on a regular basis with slicing. I repeatedly kill the same champion level mobs for their drops and their chests. I have routes layed out on a few planets to maximize my profits. I can do it for a few hours when I get sick of questing.

I have never gotten a warning.

I have not been banned.

What I am NOT doing is the following:

Using a bug to acquire my goods aka the flip in ilium or bugging mobs (evade glitch).

Using automated tools (bots)

Selling my credits or in game goods for out of game currency.

Grieving other players (stealing their chests / mobs / being an ***)

I also play the AH as much as I can too. Why? Because I like amassing credits. So spare me the bleeding heart stories of innocent people opening a chest more than once and getting banned.

If you exploit, you get banned.

Edited by Pyretechnic

Hey guys,

Just a FYI, I farm credits on a regular basis with slicing. I repeatedly kill the same champion level mobs for their drops and their chests. I have routes layed out on a few planets to maximize my profits. I can do it for a few hours when I get sick of questing.

I have never gotten a warning.

I have not been banned.

What I am NOT doing is the following:

Using a bug to acquire my goods aka the flip in ilium or bugging mobs (evade glitch).

Using automated tools (bots)

Selling my credits or in game goods for out of game currency.

Grieving other players (stealing their chests / mobs / being an ***)

I also play the AH as much as I can too. Why? Because I like amassing credits. So spare me the bleeding heart stories of innocent people opening a chest more than once and getting banned.

If you exploit, you get banned.

The OP states that the team decided that it was an exploit. not that they were using exploits to farm them

"In summary, our Terms of Service team took action against a number of accounts that were 'credit farming' to remove them permanently from the game. They also warned and temporarily suspended - but did not ban - a smaller number of accounts for activities on Ilum that were decided to be game exploits."

and these people were systematically and repeatedly "exploiting". i would hope that if someone was repeatedly using an exploit they would be banned. since you know you know that you are using an exploit after the first time or two.

It's funny to watch so many replies completely misrepresent the actual text of the original post.

Most of you need to just relax. Normal play of the game, or even excessive play in terms of hours spent isn't going to get you banned.

But if you think you just found some "magic gold box", that will make you phenomenally rich within a few days' time, then you should probably think for a moment, and probably submit a request to customer service as to whether this is an as-intended use or an exploit.

Approach the game with the idea that there isn't supposed to be some mystical way to become the richest player on your server in a week. If you find something that might do that, be cautious. Be proactive and make sure you're in the right first before using the method.

This isn't rocket science, folks.

I don't need 100% of the facts to form a valid opinion.

I know what BIOWARE employees have been posting here in the forums and combined with what I've seen/read in actual emails that BIOWARE is sending to players that they have banned; I can in fact make an articulate and valid post about it.

People are being banned for looting containers when they aren't exploiting bugs or hacking the game in order to loot said containers.

So, what you're saying inb that rather long post, is that you actually do NOT know what was happening to cause the warnings/suspensions. It is pretty hard to form a valid opinion when you do not have all the facts.

You do not have all the facts.

I don't need 100% of the facts to form a valid opinion.

I know what BIOWARE employees have been posting here in the forums and combined with what I've seen/read in actual emails that BIOWARE is sending to players that they have banned; I can in fact make an articulate and valid post about it.

People are being banned for looting containers when they aren't exploiting bugs or hacking the game in order to loot said containers.

Why do people keep saying this lie? Noone was EVER banned for looting a container. Poeple were banned for exploiting but thats a totally different deal.

They made an arbitrary decision.

According to BIOWARE if you level 39 or below and are looting containers in Ulum; you are "low level" and therefore are exploiting and banned for a TOS violation.

...but you're not sanctioned for performing the exact same actions (repeatedly looting containers in Ulum) at levels 40-50.

We're not talking about hacking or exploiting bugs here...just I want to make some extra credits so I'm going to hop a shuttle to Ilum and loot containers.

The part about being "low level" or exploiting is just a red hearing.

The OP states that the "recommended" level is 40+ for Ulum....a level 50 planet.

OK. You're saying that only now why? First, where can I find this at...second, that if I go to a planet below a "recommended level" that I can't farm containers or I'll be banned?

OP states that it's ok to go to Ulum and loot containers there but that we're going to ban you if you do.

It certainly isn't in the TOS link that is habitually included in BIOWARE postings.

The OP states that the team decided that it was an exploit. not that they were using exploits to farm them

"In summary, our Terms of Service team took action against a number of accounts that were 'credit farming' to remove them permanently from the game. They also warned and temporarily suspended - but did not ban - a smaller number of accounts for activities on Ilum that were decided to be game exploits."

and these people were systematically and repeatedly "exploiting". i would hope that if someone was repeatedly using an exploit they would be banned. since you know you know that you are using an exploit after the first time or two.

They made an arbitrary decision.

According to BIOWARE if you level 39 or below and are looting containers in Ulum; you are "low level" and therefore are exploiting and banned for a TOS violation.

...but you're not sanctioned for performing the exact same actions (repeatedly looting containers in Ulum) at levels 40-50.

We're not talking about hacking or exploiting bugs here...just I want to make some extra credits so I'm going to hop a shuttle to Ilum and loot containers.

The part about being "low level" or exploiting is just a red hearing.

The OP states that the "recommended" level is 40+ for Ulum....a level 50 planet.

OK. You're saying that only now why? First, where can I find this at...second, that if I go to a planet below a "recommended level" that I can't farm containers or I'll be banned?

OP states that it's ok to go to Ulum and loot containers there but that we're going to ban you if you do.

It certainly isn't in the TOS link that is habitually included in BIOWARE postings.

You should try reading what you quote. It CLEARLY says #1 noone was banned. Second it says they were doing activites which are considered exploits. You think to yourself why ONLY ilum? Because they can flip and loot chests they arent supposed to be able to loot that much. So Id suggest you go back and re-read the thing becuase you obviously dont understand what you quoted.

Banned, is the "exact" word BIOWARE has been using when referring to people they they took action against for looting containers....people are not lieing; they are repeating what BIOWARE has said...The "EXACT" same word is being used in emails that BIWARE has been mailing players that they have taken actions against for looting containers.

Instead of using "suspended" BIOWARE chose to use the word "banned"

The focus should not be on a word, but, instead the actions taken against people looting containers when they haven't done anything wrong.

Once again I want to make perfectly clear that I'm not talking about people who exploit bugs or hack the game , but instead people who fly over to Ulum, and farm containers for credits.

Why do people keep saying this lie? Noone was EVER banned for looting a container. Poeple were banned for exploiting but thats a totally different deal.