Bad positioning in void star

Icykill_

Why do snipers/gunslingers think it's a good idea to camp on their own respwn platform when defending the first door??

It is impossible for them to see someone capping... So many matches could have gone differently if they just got off that platform and watched the doors

Also how many ranged know how to LOS??... Not many... How many even know what LOS stands for??... Or what kiting is??

So many matches I've tried to help people out by suggesting they LOS or kite... Only to be asked what that is... /sigh

Why do snipers/gunslingers think it's a good idea to camp on their own respwn platform when defending the first door??

It is impossible for them to see someone capping... So many matches could have gone differently if they just got off that platform and watched the doors

Also how many ranged know how to LOS??... Not many... How many even know what LOS stands for??... Or what kiting is??

So many matches I've tried to help people out by suggesting they LOS or kite... Only to be asked what that is... /sigh

Apparently LOS refers to "Loss of Swag",

e.g. "I got with 2 girls last night." "Swag." "I think one of them was my sister though..." "LOS."

or, it may refer to

"A dope *** rapper from Baltimore, MD. Kills your favorite rapper's beat and doesn't take **** from anybody. Most of his music can be found on Youtube.com/SwaggaBoyLosTV or datpiff.com Has fans that actually care about his music, not just ride his dick because he is the new trend."

Which one are you referring to?

I think the snipers care more about staying alive and damaging the opponents in their view than they care about guarding the door.

As far as line of sight....I think maybe 5-10% of the people I see in PVP are good at LOS and kiting....and that's being generous. I can't count the number of times I see ranged toons face tanking, or melee toons refusing to get behind the wall when something is channeling on them even though they only have to move 1m.

I think the snipers care more about staying alive and damaging the opponents in their view than they care about guarding the door.

^

This. They are bads. I love seeing the enemy ranged that sit on that platform while we cap the door. At least they didn't die, and they still did damage! Yay bads!

They do it because they're bad? Simple as that...

I can understand on the 2nd door sitting up on the respawn platform cause you can watch the doors but not the first...you limit your area of view way too much for it to not matter(not only do you limit yourself from the view of the door, but from the view of opponents in that area that you could be attacking) how much less damage you may take. And even then other smart ranged DPS will focus you down anyway.

Some people think the objective of the WZ is not winning the match but topping the DPS chart at the end ... :)

^

This. They are bads. I love seeing the enemy ranged that sit on that platform while we cap the door. At least they didn't die, and they still did damage! Yay bads!

They're bads, I agree. But the reason why they do this is rather that they can't make up their mind where to go. They think that they will provide the ultimate task force when one of the doors comes under heavy fire and at the end they don't do s.h.i.t because they don't even notice when somebody is capping.

Sometimes kiting in voidstar is impossible. We've all been the situation where you're facing heavy pressure with people, normally melee camping our exit point (you know what I mean by that) which quite often means a quick trip back to respawn again.

Some people are going to get tired of that, even if you have an objective mindset people will either leave the warzone, go camp the door that isn't being pressured or try to stay alive which quite often (whilst defending) means sitting on that platform.

Now personally it's very rare I do that and normally only for a 10 secs or such to wait for my team mates to make it a bit more safer. I'm always objective based and quite often trying to prevent capping as a sniper does mean a quick death as a result. The first door can be a right pain to defend if the other team has good damage pressure, especially for those classes that are squishy.

Essentially......look at everything that's going on not just the sniper. If the team isn't being pressured much and they are on that platform...then yes they're bads. However if there is a lot of pressure you can't always blame a sniper for being on that platform. A dead sniper can't be of any help at all and niether can any other class.

No doubt some people will miss what I'm saying but there should be some who do.

Can't they launch an AOE from there that will cover the door?

Nope. The AE won't touch anyone capping the door from that first door platform. Also, you cannot view the door at all, so you won't know if it's getting capped if you just watching from that viewpoint.

However if there is a lot of pressure you can't always blame a sniper for being on that platform. A dead sniper can't be of any help at all and niether can any other class.

Any sniper that sits on that first platform is indeed useless. Alive, yes. But, alive and useless. Snipers have 35m on their attacks. They can use the map smartly, stay out of focus if they are smart with positioning, and snipe from points and watch doors at the same time.

By staying hidden on that platform, they miss the most important aspect of Voidstar which is to protect the doors. Even if one side is smashed hard and under extreme pressure, no one should be sitting on that platform, especially when no one is left to protect the door.

The sniper should die if that's what it takes to stop the bomb from being planted. Dead, but useful. He might save 10 secs of time making it possible that another team member can get to door and stop the cap.

In essence, there is never a smart time to sit on that platform except perhaps the first 10-15 secs when trying to determine what side is being stormed and needs the most defense.

Meh. I will go on a lemming spree myself to stop the cap. Whatever it takes to get a few shots off. Miss my AOE nade though, for multiple cappers.

But you are right in that a lot of range just stay back and will not move in to stop a cap. Happens in CW as well when someone is on the other side of the pylon. A lot of them stay back to where the edge of their AOE just hits the near side of the pylon when you want to get it just past.

Any sniper that sits on that first platform is indeed useless. Alive, yes. But, alive and useless. Snipers have 35m on their attacks. They can use the map smartly, stay out of focus if they are smart with positioning, and snipe from points and watch doors at the same time.

Must point out that I'm not really disagreeing with anyhting you say :) The bit above though, you're assuming that you can get into a decent position to start with. Sometimes the only safe way is for you to drop down the other side and run around to avoid the carnage that's happening. How do you think some caps happen in the first place? Everyone is killed before they can get to the point where they can see the door. When you have people within that area covering many of the spots a sniper could position himself being death valley it's not surprising sometimes to see snipers or other ranged sitting there.

Not saying I agree with it or that I do it myself, just that I can see why some people do.