Game Update 5.4a

EricMusco

While I can't do anything to fix stuff if it's wrong - giving folks a sense of how catastrophic the errors are might make them a bit more understanding of the wait to get things fixed.

It's like being at a car dealership and getting your car fixed -- if something unexpected pops up in a repair, they give a heads up. It doesn't make things go faster, but the wait is put into perspective.

Customer service is about perspective.

Three hours ago we were told two, and now we are told it will be three. That's a massive, four hour extension.

Oh, components aren't showing up on the HUD -- ah, yeah, this isn't just fixing some little part of the game that I'm not going to mess with, it's a major thing. Okay - go fix it.

2 hours ago he said they would start testing in 2 hours and there was no ETA on a fix, to use your comparison, that would be like a mechanic coming out to tell you "so we found the problem, but we don't know what to do about it"

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank-you Eric for keeping us in the loop as best you can & for being smart enough to not bother trying to give time estimates because even I know you do that & someone's going to BMC when it can't be met because one correction caused a cascade failure elsewhere. Here's to hoping the dev's are able to correct the code causing the unanticipated PITA issues without losing DAYS of game time. Correcting code is never very simple, especially when more then one programmer has been involved in a project that's ongoing over several years, making corrections, adding features, ect . . .

All of that increases potentially problematic interactions between different lines of code exponentially. The fact that even with the glitches, bugs & outright critical crashes that have occurred over the years Bioware has kept this game functional & mostly fun has earned my respect. Especially when you consider there are far more serious situations going on irl right now (like the Flooding in Texas, ect) we really don't have anything serious to ***** about when this game encounters the occasional performance error that Bioware Dev's work their Assets off trying to correct in a timely manner.

Add in the fact that Eric has been doing regular updates to inform us on how things are or are not progress, then I have nothing but respect. Especially in the face of the rather ungrateful, whiny & self-entitled slime sucking twatwuffles whom I'm sure make Eric & their fellow Community reps wonder just how old some of the players are in the forums & why their parents even let them have a computer (supervised or not) nvm this game!

Thank-you to all of the Bioware staff working to keep us in formed & fixing this current issue so we can return to gaming. Pay as much attention to the ones whom are acting like self-entitled slime suckers as you would to a flake of dander blowing off your friend's head! :D

• Dev Post
Thanks, Eric. I'm a little concerned about how this latest patch will interact with whatever we have on our harddrives. Some of us have one version and I guess some another. I am hoping that the next one will simply negate BOTH versions and replace the files with whatever you guys are testing now, yes?

My understanding is that you will receive a small patch if you patched already this morning (or a slightly larger one if you didn't). No full downloads or anything crazy. I will triple check though.

-eric

Alright folks, I have some updates for you.

Initial testing of the fix is looking very promising. The strange issues that you saw (such as missing components on the interface) are not present and everything appears to be working as it should once again. This is not a guarantee as we haven't checked everything, but it is a great start.

With that in mind, we have begun the process of taking the fixed patch and moving it to the live servers. This process will take around 2 hours. Then, we need to verify that everything remained stable and is still working as intended.

Assuming everything goes well, we are hopeful that the servers will be live again in around 3 hours from now. I will pass on updated information as soon as I have it. Thank you everyone for your patience today.

-eric

Three hour nap....GO!!!!

The only thing that I know for sure is that I will be returning to this thread in 3.5 hours to witness the rage... Now that's entertainment....

The only thing good news is that they had to revert back to 4.0...

Edited by Glocko

Yup. Here the media isn't quite as...err...enthusiastic and there is a bit more privacy extended to the accused but people is people. :)

I bet the folks at BW are wishing they'd just left that CXP alone right about now. Heh

If they are not wishing that, then I am prepared to say that based on my extensive studies in Sociology and the Social Sciences that they are in a very deep state of denial...and it isn't a river in Egypt.

So, why don't collect the data you need from the "nests" of Tauntaun babies? Or why do you not buy the pet off of the vendor? I have not played since 2012 but have got a ride from the "nests" already :D

The data from the nests gives you the tauntaun mount. The pet from the vendor as well as the one you get from the quest are old news. The fawn pet is something different and quite uniquely coloured.

I think every account that is and has posted in this thread today deserves a new mount out of the new Cartel Pack or something worth while like that. Or a few million credits.......

Nope. Do something for all subs or nothing at all. Lots of folks don't bother to whine in a forum when stuff happens.

I think every account that is and has posted in this thread today deserves a new mount out of the new Cartel Pack or something worth while like that. Or a few million credits.......

Just quoting this just in case...! :)

Just get it fixed & extend the double CXP & all will be well.... It's not the first time this has happened & won't be the last I'm sure... :D

My understanding is that you will receive a small patch if you patched already this morning (or a slightly larger one if you didn't). No full downloads or anything crazy. I will triple check though.

-eric

Thank you! I'm likely due the larger one since I never got any data earlier today but that's fine. Thanks again and this too shall pass. :) G'night from stormy Germany.

Maybe give 500 Cartel coins to each subscriber? I'm a programmer (C++, C#, Java, Python, PHP, JS, Ruby on Rails etc.) and QA should have caught something like this. I understand that this wasn't done on purpose, but not giving any compensation to subscribers is kind of below the belt. And then the codes... I only started playing/subscribing to this game a few days ago, but what a way to kick it off. And I get 5mb/s here. My brother lives with me atm and also just subscribed. It takes about a day here for me to fully download/transfer the game to his box. I am a long time SW fan, but thinking I should have just replayed kotor and kotor 2 at this point. Wo'nt even be able to stream a movie tonight depending on DL size. I'm still feeling the first sentence of this post, Eric? It would mean less microtransactions this month, but your subscribers would be much more inclined to stay. Me and my brother have been properly inconvenienced today, and a little empathy goes a long way. :) And I could care less about x2 XP/CXP, leveling in this game is way to fast as is. Edited by AnnieLightJedi

The only thing that I know for sure is that I will be returning to this thread in 3.5 hours to witness the rage... Now that's entertainment....

The only thing good news is that they had to revert back to 4.0...

Indeed - if they thought us Europeans/Brits are bad, I can't wait for the fury of America! :D Better start making the popcorn...

If they are not wishing that, then I am prepared to say that based on my extensive studies in Sociology and the Social Sciences that they are in a very deep state of denial...and it isn't a river in Egypt.

*snort*

Yeah. Talk about a cluster-you-know-what. On the plus side, maybe in future they will remember this and not worry overmuch if we are getting "too much xp"? I can sure understand fixing exploits (like the one they were using to haul friends into TheRoomBehindTheDoor but getting too much XP...eh...

That'd be nice.

Alright folks, I have some updates for you.

Initial testing of the fix is looking very promising. The strange issues that you saw (such as missing components on the interface) are not present and everything appears to be working as it should once again. This is not a guarantee as we haven't checked everything, but it is a great start.

With that in mind, we have begun the process of taking the fixed patch and moving it to the live servers. This process will take around 2 hours. Then, we need to verify that everything remained stable and is still working as intended.

Assuming everything goes well, we are hopeful that the servers will be live again in around 3 hours from now. I will pass on updated information as soon as I have it. Thank you everyone for your patience today.

-eric

Please tell me you aren't pushing a patch that hasn't been completely tested to live servers! If so, you'll have earned every bit of ire you receive if the patch has problems.