"What You Do For a Partner" bugged?

Dannicus

Try leaving Nar Shadda, resetting the quest then traveling back to Nar Shadda it was glitched for me till I did this some quests seem to have problem when they want you too travel to a planet that you are already on. Edited by Savish

Try the resetting and traveling from/to Nar Shaddaa in case those work for you.

Personally, I wasn't able to get the quest to trigger until I'd completed the first quests in chapter 2 that take place on Nar Shaddaa. After that was done, the quest triggered properly when I came back to the planet.

Try the resetting and traveling from/to Nar Shaddaa in case those work for you.

Personally, I wasn't able to get the quest to trigger until I'd completed the first quests in chapter 2 that take place on Nar Shaddaa. After that was done, the quest triggered properly when I came back to the planet.

I'm having the same problem, the mission seem determined to stay on "go no nar shaddaa".

By part 2 do you mean nar shaddaa bonus series? And how many missions did you do, did you do all of them?

I have been traveling back and forth but to no avail. I'm done with tatooine and now back to do some nar shaddaa bonus series missions, but this particular quest just wont update itself.

For those that are still bugged, here's how to get past the "Go to Nar Shadda" step that refuses to progress. Drop the quest, then go to the cantina on Nar Shadda to talk to Kaliyo (don't start the quest on your ship). To get to the cantina (if you haven't been there before), take the taxi to Lower Promenade. The cantina is at the bottom/center of the map, so just head south and into the Promenade to get to the "Slippery Slope" Cantina. If you talk to Kaliyo in the cantina on Nar Shadda, you'll get the quest and be on the "Go to the Exchange Holding Area" step. Unfortunately none of the other fixes/workarounds like reseting or dropping the quest and trying again ever worked for me.

Didn't work for me either. After I did the first step of the class quest and was heading back to my ship, I dropped the quest and once I got onboard the ship everything worked just fine (re-taking quest etc). I did make sure to have Kaliyo out as companion, no clue if that matters.

I had the same issue, tried all kinds of stupid things but nothing worked.

Than when I came to Nar Shaddaa for the 10th time or so, I figured: "what the hell, lets do the bonus series". Directly after completing them all and returning to the spaceport, I thought lets try and reset the companion quest for the last time and see if it will pop.

To my suprise it did.... Apparently you need to complete the bonus series first. Than when you deliver the return quest (the last q so to say) to the colonel (cyborg) and the red sith/alien woman. Try and reset the companion quest, it worked for me.

Good luck all!

See, my problem was I took this quest the first time while already on nar shaddaa in the cantina. Now it won't update for anything, even after retaking it repeatedly. Nor did completing the bonus series update it at all.

Anyone else stuck at this stage? I've had an open ticket for about 4 days on it, with no response, and havent seen it on any 'known issues' lists.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd bump this because it pops up on Google as the first result if you search "What you do for a partner bugged"

I think this is caused by having the Class quest that also has you travel to Nar Shaddaa, at the same time. That is you have 2 quests that say travel to Nar Shaddaa, and the game only seems to update one.

I followed the advice above went to the cantina on Nar Shaddaa and reset, and it didn't work, I still had Travel to Nar Shaddaa as the step I was on. I then went out of the cantina, and took the port to the imperial fleet (NE of cantina), jumped on my ship and then flew back to Nar Shaddaa and the quest then put me at the proper step.

Hope this Helps.

I had no luck with the solutions above - I Reset the quest, abandoned it then went to the cantina and tookit again, and traveled to and from Nar Shaddaa.

But I did advance it by doing more steps in my Class quest (Act 2), which makes me think Shoeby is right that the two are related.

I think this is caused by having the Class quest that also has you travel to Nar Shaddaa, at the same time. That is you have 2 quests that say travel to Nar Shaddaa, and the game only seems to update one.

My Class quest had me go to Dromund Kaas, not Nar Shaddaa, so I didn't see the connection. But a few steps later and it did return me to Nar Shaddaa. Kaliyo's Companion quest did not automatically update, nor did it fix with another Reset, but after I abandoned it yet again in the cantina, all went well.

Incidentally, the Warehouse marker then moved further south, as stated earlier here or in another thread. It's a good bit further south, and I wish I noted the coordinates; I don't know if it would have been possible to go there directly even when bugged.

Finally, I love SWTOR and believe in keeping a positive attitude, but Customer Service here is pitiful. Sending us canned, poorly chosen instructions that hardly fit the situation is beyond inappropriate. You can do better, Bioware.

Edited by CBGB

I had this same problem. What fixed it for me was not using the captain's chair in the ship to travel to Nar Shadda, you have to click the emitter box for the galaxy map and use that to travel.

All of the other methods mentioned here didn't fix it, the only one that did was clicking on the map box directly, instead of sitting in the chair.

Having same issue atm. I've

Taken quest on ship

Taken quest in Nar Shaddaa cantina

Travelled to/from Nar Shaddaa

Travelled to the map location

Dropped quest multiple times

Reset quest mutliple times

Nothing so far has worked.

If this is indeed requiring you get to act2 then this being a "quest" is worthless for anything but story. It's already green to me at 26, by the time I hit act2 it will be far into grey and I'll get that awesome 5xp.

Edited by Blaac

OK, I'm pretty sure I've got this one figured out. I kept going back and checking the phase at each step in hopes of helping those that follow.

I tried resetting the "What You Can Do for a Partner" companion quest, dropping it and picking it back up in the cantina, and dropping it and leaving the world before picking the quest back up (both on the ship and in the cantina) -- none of these worked for me. Perhaps there are certain situations where these measures do help things proceed or perhaps they were requirements in addition to the following.

First, complete the Nar Shaddaa Bonus Series as part of your class quest line. You don't have to do any of the additional quests you'll see along the way if you don't want to. The class quest line becomes class quest "Master Stratagem," which has several steps to it (though the name doesn't change), and this class quest line will eventually take you to Dromund Kaas and then back to Nar Shaddaa for more of Master Stratagem quest line. When the Master Stratagem finally sends you back to your ships holoterminal (on the way onward to Taris), you'll notice the that entrance location for the What You Can do for a Partner quest moves from the false Nar Shaddaa Corellian Sector map coordinates -3541, 1805 to the correct Nar Shaddaa Corellian Sector map coordinates of -3463, -1475. When that happens, you're good to go. Depending on how much affection you've accumulated while this companion quest has been held up, you'll likely have a series of companion conversations to catch up on back on your ship.

>>>>The above solution will fix the problem, but it would be helpful if someone facing this problem simply goes directly to the second set of coordinates above before proceeding with their class quest as prescribed to make sure that the phase entrance was not always available to players the whole time, and it was only the map indications that were broken.<<<<

I'm not sure whether you'd call this a bug or a design flaw. The companion quest is triggered by affection level and rated as a Level 20 quest, but you actually have to complete class quests rated at Level 32 in order to actually access the Level 20 companion quest. The fact that the map leads you t a door in the wrong place is a bug. Players simply shouldn't be shown the Companion Quest until both conditions are met.

Cheers!

Thought I'd bump this because it pops up on Google as the first result if you search "What you do for a partner bugged"

I followed the advice above went to the cantina on Nar Shaddaa and reset, and it didn't work, I still had Travel to Nar Shaddaa as the step I was on. I then went out of the cantina, and took the port to the imperial fleet (NE of cantina), jumped on my ship and then flew back to Nar Shaddaa and the quest then put me at the proper step.

Hope this Helps.

This was exactly the case for me -- I had the class quest to go to Nar Shaddaa at the same time as I got the companion quest from Kaliyo. Reobtaining the quest from Kaliyo in the Cantina didn't work, nor did resetting. However, going back to the Fleet and then traveling back to Nar Shaddaa, as you recommended, worked great.

I think you're right -- when you go to Nar Shaddaa, it only updates one of the quests.

Thanks so much!

Chiming in with my fix on this quest.

Couldnt get the quest to update past "travel to nar shadda" when I got to nar shadda on first quest serie.

At level 28 I returned after completing tatooine to see if it updated and let me do the quest.

No such luck.

I was headed to alderaan, but decided to check if picking up/advancing in the bonus missions would change quest state.

Picked up Nar Shadda bonus series. Didnt do anything beside talking with the sith and captain at spaceport. Checked quest status. Changed to "enter exchange holding cells".

Seems the quest is stuck till you pick up another quest.

What I see as root of the problem:

quest is level 20

is dependent on picking up a quest that is only available at level ~28

Despite obvious problem outlined in last 2 sentences, not fixed. Asssuming it will be trivial to fix, should bioware read the boards and have time :p

wow there are some amazing complicated fixes but its not that hard, it was posted elsewhere i cant find it so ill repeat

there are 2 quest lines your class and kaliyo they both require you to go to nar shadda, one trip 1 quest advance, simply advance your class quest to watcher x via the holo terminal then fly the ship to somewhere else and return to nar shaddaa and quest will update to go to the exchange holding area

QED

Edited by Belsith

• 3 weeks later...
I tried everything that everyone had stated in this thread so far, all with no luck. What finally worked for me was going right up to the blocked doorway, and while pressing against it, opened the quest log and hit reset on that quest. It finally clued in for me to try this because every time I pressed against the door, I noticed the "complete quest" icon on the mini-map would disappear.

• 4 weeks later...

This bug is because quest from "Master Strategem" line has the same instruction as our "What you do for a partner" quest. To solve the problem you don't have to abandon quest.

1. Go to Dromund Kaas do your class quest

2. You will be sent to Nar Shaddaa with another "Go to Nar Shaddaa" quest

3. Arrive at Nar Shaddaa, I have entered the cantina, don't know if this changes anything

4. Open quest log and Reset Companion's "Go to Nar Shaddaa" quest, the instruction will change into "Go to the Exchange Holding Area"

First, complete the Nar Shaddaa Bonus Series as part of your class quest line.

Cheers!

Not sure about need of completing Bonus Series. I have started it but I haven't completed.

Edited by SkullTheHutt

• 2 weeks later...
wow there are some amazing complicated fixes but its not that hard, it was posted elsewhere i cant find it so ill repeat

there are 2 quest lines your class and kaliyo they both require you to go to nar shadda, one trip 1 quest advance, simply advance your class quest to watcher x via the holo terminal then fly the ship to somewhere else and return to nar shaddaa and quest will update to go to the exchange holding area

QED

Bump!

This worked for me coming to Nar Shaddaa for the very first time. Class quested updated. Returned to fleet (didn't even get off ship) and then returned to Nar Shaddaa. Quest updated as I came out of hyperspace.