[Official High Resolution Textures Post] Can we get a clarification on this?

Adelbert

you're absolutely ridiculous to assume that there would be no issues during launch month.

Have some patience. Don't be Apelles' cobbler.

The entire high-end set of graphical options is missing or broken. Textures, Shaders, Shadows, etc. Let me try this again: The entire high-end set of graphical options is missing or broken.

That's not some minor "launch month" growing pains or jitters. That's not some sudden, unexpected problem. I wish to hell people would stop acting like the entire high-end set of graphical options being missing or broken is some trivial detail.

I've played F2P MMOs with better textures than TOR allows us to use.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You bought new computer parts--they'll still be there when the problem is fixed.

You bought the game for $60--that product will still be there when the problem is fixed.

Your free month came and went while the problem was still a problem--even granting that you are indeed entitled to that free month (you are, as per MMO conventions) you're absolutely ridiculous to assume that there would be no issues during launch month.

Have some patience. Don't be Apelles' cobbler.

This has been said before but some people just don't seem to get it,

this is not a "during launch issue ", its been an issue since beta when they decided to remove the option to use high rez textures.

So we've been patient for many months, what really upsets people is the fact that they tried to covertly "Fix" the issue by just ignoring it and ninja removing the medium options in 1.1 without mention in the patch notes.

they mentioned the AA add so if they weren't trying to do it sneakily, why not mention the removal, just a note in the patch notes saying it was temporary or whatever.

So most customers are usually patient, but most don't really appreciate being taken for fools, because they must thing we are morons and wouldn't see the changes or we are all sheep and wouldn't complain.

not sure which is more insulting.

Edited by skepticck

The entire high-end set of graphical options is missing or broken. Textures, Shaders, Shadows, etc. Let me try this again: The entire high-end set of graphical options is missing or broken.

That's not some minor "launch month" growing pains or jitters. That's not some sudden, unexpected problem. I wish to hell people would stop acting like the entire high-end set of graphical options being missing or broken is some trivial detail.

Well said! As long as this is not fixed, I am not gonna pay them a single dime on monthly subscription fees!

I bought this game and expected to experience it on Full High Settings as advertised!

Bioware did not deliver! IN FACT! They try to even shove it under the rug with coming patch 1.1! :mad:

Fill me in on how many of those F2P MMOs are running on hither-to unused engines such as SWTOR's, are the first MMO outing by a non-MMO developer, have two million paying subscribers in less than a month, had these features in at launch month, and prioritized graphical quality over other bug fixes which were ruining gameplay more than "it doesn't look as pretty as it could".

SWTOR won't look as pretty as other games, that's for sure. It won't look as bad as it currently does, either. MMOs tend towards lower graphical quality for a number of reasons, and SWTOR isn't an exception.

MMOs are in development for longer than traditional games. You work with the technology available at the time and only upgrade if it's feasible. If most of your art assets were done early on, it's a lot of work to redo everything later on down the line to bring it up to date with the higher-res stuff.

They rely on having as many players as possible in a market which charges $15/month. In order to get these players, you need both a broad appeal and broad accessibility--requiring top-end systems excludes many people who would otherwise want to play.

All that said, the low-res issues won't be here forever. They'll be fixed. You just have to (shock and horror) deal with it for a time.

Well said! As long as this is not fixed, I am not gonna pay them a single dime on monthly subscription fees!

I bought this game and expected to experience it on Full High Settings as advertised!

Bioware did not deliver! IN FACT! They try to even shove it under the rug with coming patch 1.1! :mad:

Qft. Like this i will stay unsubbed aswell. They should atleast give a statement.

Speaking of which.....

Edited by Ommm

This thread was made on the 6th? I thought we were all aware in December that High was actually Medium first due to a bug and second due to optimization concerns, and that High textures already existed and were unavailable, but would be in soon. Why is this even a discussion?

Help me, Obi-Wan, I'm going to freakin' die over here if I don't have slightly crisper graphics within the week.

Its a discussion because Bioware tried to blindside us with the patch that got delayed on PTS they outright removed the medium setting leaving only low and high this to me is an attempt to pull the wool over peoples eyes and as good as states your not getting high res textures, if that wasnt the case then why not just leave things as is.

All that said, the low-res issues won't be here forever. They'll be fixed. You just have to (shock and horror) deal with it for a time.

How long do you expect us to deal with this?

This is a story driven MMO! You play your prefered class only once to the CAP! That's it!

So you are telling me, I should stop playing, even pay a monthly fee, till they finally fix it one time somewhere in the future?

I don't have the time to roll many ALT's! I focus on a SINGLE character and one SINGLE ALT I play with my girlfriend. That's it!

I would like to experience it in it's FULL and ADVERTISED glory! Thank you very much. :mad:

This has been said before but some people just don't seem to get it,

this is not a "during launch issue ", its been an issue since beta when they decided to remove the option to use high rez textures.

Right. So we know the high res textures exist and could be put back in at any moment.

When they'll work for everyone.

From a game design perspective, I would rather have people complaining about low res textures I can fix at any time, than I would to have people complaining that their systems can't handle High mode (when they should) due to some obscure optimization bug or insufficient drivers from GPU manufacturers.

You only have to look at a third of the other posts in the GD forum to see the complaints of the latter. "MY COMPUTER WAS FORGED IN THE FIRES OF THE SUN BY HAEPHESTUS HIMSELF, AND I HAVE SLOWDOWN IN WARZONES! FIX THIS OR I'M UNSUBSCRIBING!"

I don't know who's more ridiculous--them or "I'm unsubscribing if my graphics don't look as pretty as I know they could right freakin' now."

*snip*

Could you, please stop cluttering the thread?

Thank you.

You simply dont advertise as company what clearly is not working to draw people in early

and then do sneaky patches like this without giving out a statement.

Edited by Ommm

How long do you expect us to deal with this?
Holy cow, it hasn't even been a month from launch.

February 21st, 2pm CST. Patch day, two months post-launch.

If high res textures aren't in by that time, please, resume complaining to your hearts content. I won't tell you you're being ridiculous and inane and repetitive and wasting your time spamming up the GD boards at that point (though you will still be wasting your time--they'll fix it when they fix it).

I doubt it will even take that long.

Let me just ask any of you... once you get everything you want from this game, will you be appreciative? Will you say thank you?

When he said TODAY, he didn't give a time. It's still TODAY and time left. When he finally answers, will any of you thank him? Will there be any appreciation or will you all just go to the next thing to be rude about. Once he posts, he did what he said, no?

So once again, patience. Stop acting like a bunch of ingrates. If you can't be understanding then fine, there is no pleasing some of you, just leave.

If it was TOMORROW, and still no response, I can understand some of you being upset. But it is not, it is still TODAY, like was stated.

Key word: TODAY.

RELAX PEOPLE!

Could you, please stop cluttering the thread?

Thank you.

So sorry, wouldn't want to disturb your self-referential pity party. I'm sure this issue will be fixed much sooner if BioWare takes a look at page 72 of this thread and sees nothing but the same six people patting each other on the back and marching in lock-step to the tune of "we'll unsubscribe if textures aren't fixed next week" without anyone telling them they're being silly.

I'm sorry that my posts have delayed your resolution to this most critical of bugs. ;)

Right. So we know the high res textures exist and could be put back in at any moment.

When they'll work for everyone.

From a game design perspective, I would rather have people complaining about low res textures I can fix at any time, than I would to have people complaining that their systems can't handle High mode (when they should) due to some obscure optimization bug or insufficient drivers from GPU manufacturers.

You only have to look at a third of the other posts in the GD forum to see the complaints of the latter. "MY COMPUTER WAS FORGED IN THE FIRES OF THE SUN BY HAEPHESTUS HIMSELF, AND I HAVE SLOWDOWN IN WARZONES! FIX THIS OR I'M UNSUBSCRIBING!"

I don't know who's more ridiculous--them or "I'm unsubscribing if my graphics don't look as pretty as I know they could right freakin' now."

Because they have the CHOICE to put their graphics on LOW settings!

We have the systems and invested money in them to run graphics HIGH!

The game was advertised as such and we EXPECT the game to have it now we have paid for it!

And what makes people even more angry is that they try to shove this problem under the rug, insult our inteligence, by "stealth" changing the graphic settings in patch 1.1, removing the medium option and make the current medium textures the new high setting! :mad:

If we don't get any clarification on this, you bet ya I won't be subscribing! As I hate these kind of shady "underhand" practices! It means we cannot trust this company and how they will handle this game into the future! :mad:

So sorry, wouldn't want to disturb your self-referential pity party. I'm sure this issue will be fixed much sooner if BioWare takes a look at page 72 of this thread and sees nothing but the same six people patting each other on the back and marching in lock-step to the tune of "we'll unsubscribe if textures aren't fixed next week" without anyone telling them they're being silly.

I'm sorry that my posts have delayed your resolution to this most critical of bugs. ;)

Same six people have obviously posted 1 and 3/4 of threads at capacity. Riiiiight!

e- Hey remember what the mod say, just flag if they are trolling and ignore if you cant stand them. Problem solved.

Edited by Caonimah

If high res textures aren't in by that time, please, resume complaining to your hearts content. I won't tell you you're being ridiculous and inane and repetitive and wasting your time spamming up the GD boards at that point (though you will still be wasting your time--they'll fix it when they fix it).

Had they fixed it when it was reported, when beta build 11/28 went live and people were reporting...hey *** is with the low resolution armor textures, this wasn't in the last build (and it wasn't in the last build)....then we wouldn't be having this discussion at all.

When he said TODAY, he didn't give a time. It's still TODAY and time left. When he finally answers, will any of you thank him? Will there be any appreciation or will you all just go to the next thing to be rude about. Once he posts, he did what he said, no?

(stuff)

Key word: TODAY.

You bring up an excellent point, but let me add something: when Steven posted, it was already today, the 10th. It was only yesterday for people living in on the west coast. I'm looking at his post right now: "Today , 01:22 AM"

It's possible the response will come Wednesday, the 11th.

The 10th may still be today in the context of his post. We are not yet in tomorrow.

We got a response to this issue. Thanks for the free bumps though.

Your answer will come in the form of no medium option.

Bioware is obviously trying to decide which option will cost them more subscribers.

Putting in textures and being a moderately hard to run game.

or

Continuing to lie about the non-existance of textures.

People like you are the same people who will be saying on Febuary 21rst

"Oh the games ONLY been out 2 months!#@!" "Stop complaining"

In your eyes everything is always forgivable.

I have to laugh at that, suckers who even if the game was a complete mess 6 months later would still come back to lick the boots.

This isnt a new or launch issue, this has been a problem since 6 months ago in beta.

Most people arent complaining that it isnt fixed yet. They are complaining that they tried to stealth patch hide without explaining what they were doing.

Justify THAT will you? I notice you completely avoid that subject even though its been brought up multiple times in this thread.

It is so COMPLETELY obvious what they were trying to do in patch 1.1 by removing one of the texture options it isnt even funny.

Your answer will come in the form of no medium option.

Bioware is obviously trying to decide which option will cost them more subscribers.

Putting in textures and being a moderately hard to run game.

or

Continuing to lie about the non-existance of textures.

They aren't removing low or medium quality textures. The game will not be any harder to run.

You bring up an excellent point, but let me add something: when Steven posted, it was already today, the 10th. It was only yesterday for people living in on the west coast. I'm looking at his post right now: "Today , 01:22 AM"

It's possible the response will come Wednesday, the 11th.

The 10th may still be today in the context of his post. We are not yet in tomorrow.

BioWare is in Austin, these forums time make no sense to be honest.

They aren't removing low or medium quality textures. The game will not be any harder to run.

This statement only makes sense to people with a brain.

Age of Conan isnt hard to run on low either. And people continue to claim no one can run it.

Because there are no high res textures. They worked for half a day in beta build 2 or 3 but it caused horendous problems for some users so they took them out again

Nobody even knows if the problem has been isolated or not.

You're all missing the main point. We know High-res textures are in-game, since they are enabled during cinematics (this has been proven many, many times). There is no proven way, however, to enable them for the rest of the game (people keep coming up with ways to improve textures, and all they're doing is going from Low to Medium).

The main point, however, is not that it hasn't been fixed yet. It's that we're still being kept in the dark about a valid problem. All we've been told is "Soon", and this is for a problem that has existed since beta. Do we know whats causing it, do we know how far along they are in their investigation, or do we know what it's going to take to fix? No! Because they have not offered any explanation or insight whatsoever.

The real kicker? Read the below quote:

The game is not possessing LOD correctly. The game is placing priority on objects other than those viewable to the player. its a problem http://community.heroengine.com/forums/index.php?action=printpage;topic=228.0

I for one want to hear that its a known issue and that its being fixed, and not brushed under the rug with a change to the wording in the prefs menu.

Let me detail possible issues that could be caused by improper LOD. Massive ram use, constant HD access, CPU and GPU heat issues, random Low frames. And when we look in the Tech support forum what do we find? Massive ram use, constant HD access, CPU and GPU heat issues, random Low frames.

I want to hear that this is or isnt causing those issues. I want to be assured that this game isnt lowering the life expectancy of my GPU and CPU.

There are even more problems, which we havn't even asked about properly. The engine has core issues that are showing up as symptoms for many many people (overheating GPU for one, stuttering performance on a whole range of systems regardless of settings). Are those issues going to be handled the same way as the texture issue? If so, I'd like a refund here and now for the initial purchase, because I'm not going to be misled for weeks or months every time one of those problems blossoms into a critical error.

Let me be ultimately clear: the key issue people have is the lack of communication, because it bodes very poorly for the future if they can't even talk to their customers. The resolution of the issue is secondary to keeping us properly informed, except when you ignore us, both issues get rolled together and become one huge goddamn problem.