Spambot Mayhem

Kokurou

So I heard that BioWare had handled the spambot issue, nope. They haven't. They're now whispering people. At one point I think I had like 20 of them whisper me at the same time. Can BioWare actually crack down on these?

Whispered me in my strong hold. Thought that was bad but then got a whisper while in KP operation.

Try multiple whispers while pvping... I couldn't see the chat

Has anyone else tried to reply to them to tell them to F off... It always says player not found

BW simply needs to do what ZoS did for ESO. Make it so you can only delete / create a certain amount of characters in a certain amount of time per account / IP . Gold sellers have all but disappeared in that game. Plus there are actual moderators in game checking on the gold seller / bot situation.

This whisper thing is starting to get really annoying right now. :mad:

It's not just Strongholds but BH, Yavin, Rishi, CZ Corp Labs... They most likely have names of many, many characters and whisper from one spot to everyone.

Edited by Halinalle

Its better this way, they are stupid and this is a terrible idea.

When they whisper you, you are FAR more likely to report and ignore.

they will be gone faster.

Its really kinda laughable. You think that im gonna buy credits if you spam me all day? why do you think that? You think I wanna give money to support an annoyance? WHY DO YOU THINK THAT?

credit spammers are obviously stupid.

Edited by Smuglebunny

I know companies and producers don't like to ask each other for help, but maybe just this once they should find out what Bethesda and Zenimax did. I know, personally, I would not fault them for seeking help somewhere else with this problem. Within a few months of release of TESO, spam bots and gold farmers were totally removed from game. I haven't seen a whisper or add for "buy gold at x site" in in a long time.

It really is getting frustrating that now they are whispering people. I got 3 whispers back to back the other day trying to do Rishi for the first time. They are doing something smart too. They are making their whispers so long that I can't scroll up and click their name for report for spam.

BW simply needs to do what ZoS did for ESO. Make it so you can only delete / create a certain amount of characters in a certain amount of time per account / IP . Gold sellers have all but disappeared in that game. Plus there are actual moderators in game checking on the gold seller / bot situation.
QFT ... especially having live and proactive mods in-game to shut them down on the spot. This is the fix. Edited by GalacticKegger

I feel like we are being held hostage. Who has the control here?

We play these games to have an enjoyable experience and this is something that is affecting all of our experiences. This needs to stop.

I feel like we are being held hostage. Who has the control here?

We play these games to have an enjoyable experience and this is something that is affecting all of our experiences. This needs to stop.

Seconded

Report and ignore every single one you see. Bioware won't address them on a case by case basis so don't expect immediate results but eventually they will be included in another ban wave.

You must be kidding. Are you, please tell me you are. ZoS got rid of 95 % the bots / gold sellers within less than a year of release. This game is going on 4 years. HOW LONG does it take?

So I heard that BioWare had handled the spambot issue

You misheard.

They did a massive ban-session on a huge credit-selling ring. There was never any announcement that they had done anything to make it impossible for anyone else to do it.

Of course the other credit sellers were going to continue doing their thing, and they're going to seek out other ways to avoid the mechanisms that Bioware used. You should continue to Report them (not much point in ignoring unless you're going to be around for a while... because they're probably not).

In my opinion, the only way to truly fix this is to deputize a truly large number of people to actively shut down credit sellers in real time. Call them demi-mods or whatever, but if there were a couple dozen people on a server who could silently gag any credit advertising (or any spamming, really), we'd get some long term improvements. Short of that, its a bit of whack-a-mole.

I'm getting the whispers as well. They are being quite clever LOL but it's super annoying. Maybe it's time to re-visit the whole "Free to Play" approach? How many F2P people are truly making CC purchases? How many truly convert to subscribers.

At this point it feels like they added a cash shop for subscribers and everything is now extra. Not sure what the right answer here is but the current one is stale and no longer working.

Would be nice to have a 'receive tells only from people on your friends list' option for those of us who just don't want to be hassled to have. Reporting and ignoring is nice but it doesn't stop the initial contact which annoys us.

This is definitely getting out of hand. Just had 3 whispers back to back to back on Alderaan on my 32 Vanguard. I don't think anywhere is safe and since it's easy for them to just get a full character list by using 'O', you can't even create a character with special unique letters to help curb this.

I was fine with the spam in fleet chat and the occasional planets but direct whispers are beyond intrusive and annoying. Come on BW, get something done plz.

Would be nice to have a 'receive tells only from people on your friends list' option for those of us who just don't want to be hassled to have. Reporting and ignoring is nice but it doesn't stop the initial contact which annoys us.

I thought about this as well. It would suck when someone that knows you is on an alt or whatever and you don't have them on your list but I'm sure there are ways to help that. But as it is now, I'd love a Preference option to 'Only receive whispers from people in your guild/friends list.'

Edited by Kadin

I thought about this as well. It would suck when someone that knows you is on an alt or whatever and you don't have them on your list but I'm sure there are ways to help that. But as it is now, I'd love a Preference option to 'Only receive whispers from people in your guild/friends list.'

I'm guessing they could still mail you or something. It seems they killed the in game mail spammers already.