Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lack of communication is unprofessional

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Lack of communication is unprofessional

PjPablo
01.28.2012 , 11:46 PM | #91
Nice to see that the threads are being read. Replies like this that contain more detail and direct responses to stated concerns are a great start.

Putok
01.29.2012 , 12:01 AM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by Kourage View Post
What ever happened to be able to make changes on the Hero Engine while people were still on it? They used to brag about it but it seems they lost that ability.
I was wondering this too. I remember reading that the engine was capable of writing new content to the servers and streaming it to the client without ever interrupting service, or causing any issues...

Mallorik
01.29.2012 , 12:20 AM | #93
I cant belive someone wrote a big long whine about this, this game is full of bugs, pvp is a total mess and people complain when they fix it. imo take the damn thing down every day , just fix the freakin game.

Ethias
01.29.2012 , 12:32 AM | #94
so what DID the patch last night fix?

LogicalPremise
01.29.2012 , 12:44 AM | #95
Quote: Originally Posted by Ethias View Post
so what DID the patch last night fix?
Well for one thing, people were crashing out or unable to log in from the login screen with all kinds of crazy disconnects. They fixed that before people started frothing at the mouth and screaming "Y U NO FIX" ... at the cost of irritating our brothers and sisters in the EU.
Majynn, L65 Sorc - Harbinger
Garadan, L65 Jugg- Harbinger
Vongrath, L65 Op - Harbinger
Tradius Ahern, L65 Gunslinger - BB&B- Harbinger

Uruare
01.29.2012 , 01:30 AM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by StephenReid View Post
Hey everyone; I appreciate everyone's views on this topic and I can understand the feelings being expressed here.

Our Live team took the decision to roll out today's 1.1.0c patch during Friday night/Saturday morning with the knowledge that it would affect a higher than usual number of players. Unfortunately, we had to make changes that required server downtime. The Live team felt those changes were urgently required and that was why the maintenance was scheduled. Generally speaking, we try and ensure all required maintenance happens during our weekly maintenance period, but this was one situation where we had to move forward quickly; to not do so could have led to severe performance issues across the service as a whole.

I want to address a couple of other points from the OP:

This is a little inaccurate. I'm not sure where your timing comes from, but our original post regarding the downtime was posted at 5:10PM CST (Austin time). At that point, we were unsure of the start time for the maintenance so posted without it. The post was updated with the exact timing of the maintenance at 8:54PM CST, which would give just over five hours notice of the exact timing.

Five hours is not a generous window of notice, and for that we apologize. In this instance, we updated with the precise timing as soon as we could, but we'll strive to improve.

Overall, this is a fair point. Generally speaking, every Friday we post details of our upcoming maintenance period to give plenty of advance notice. Because of the timing of this patch, we thought it might be easier to roll both notices into one. We didn't feel the ambiguity was too extreme, as the upcoming patch was detailed up front, but I can see how it might have confused some. We'll improve.

As stated, the patch was deemed necessary and urgent enough to be rolled out on a Friday night/Saturday morning (Austin time). We didn't take this lightly, and don't expect or wish it to be a regular occurrence.

To those of you in Europe, I want you to know that we'll be discussing maintenance windows and how we can improve their timing this coming week. We may not have an update immediately (and not before the scheduled maintenance on January 31st) but we have been paying attention to your opinions.

Thanks again for the feedback - it helps us know where to improve.

And thank you in kind for the feedback! Things like this go a long way in helping us not only be informed, but also feel informed on what's cookin' behind all the curtains!

Cheers!

TerrorTigr
01.29.2012 , 01:48 AM | #97
I wrote these posts when I was angry. I should not write posts when I am angry.

Pappalazz
01.29.2012 , 02:03 AM | #98
It is all well responding now to the community but would it not be better practice to give full deatiled information with the downtime notice on why the maintenance was needed in the first place.

Auxili
01.29.2012 , 02:21 AM | #99
Fact is, there hasn't been a week where maintenance only happened on the scheduled tuesday morning timeslot. So this talk from bioware about "oh this is a one time thing" feels untrue.
Important Discussions: Republic Ghosttown | Future of the Republic | Use Our Community Feedback
We will remember. 1.1

kopecs
01.29.2012 , 02:28 AM | #100
Too bad the patch didn't work and people are still getting DC'd lol....*facepalm
╔╛Jensaarai╘╗
Hidden Followers of Truth
╠═╪═╬╝ Portal Apply ╚╬═╪═╣