Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lack of communication is unprofessional

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Lack of communication is unprofessional

Demorgoth
01.28.2012 , 10:23 AM | #1
Today you brought the servers down on a Saturday, affecting not only Europeans (who are kinda getting used to not mattering in your considerations) but also Americans who settle down for their first decent length play session of the week on Friday nights.

Quote:
Posted: Today , 12:10 AM

Upcoming Patch + Scheduled Maintenance: January 31st, 2012
1: You post a warning less than two hours before the servers are brought down. Ok, if this is an emergency, tell us it's an emergency. Don't call it 'maintenance' when you decide to pull down all the servers on a Friday night with less than 2 hours notice.

2: The post is highly ambiguous. If you're pulling the servers down on a Friday, put Friday in the title. If you're pulling the servers down today, in 2 hours, put that in the title to get the word out. The title gives the overwealing impression that the Patch + Maintenance are on Jan 31st.

3: People expect patches Tuesday 2am CST onwards. There are sometimes patches to fix those patches on wed/thus am following. If you break from that pattern then clearly inform your playerbase

Quote:
1.1.0c Patch Notes - 1/28/2012

General
•Improved service to reduce the number of player disconnections to the character selection screen.
Nothing to download on the patch server, all the work was done serverside. This was the reason for the server to be down for everyone? This was an issue than couldn't wait until the scheduled mainenance in 3 days? Instead of a few people having the minor inconvenience of getting dropped to the character select screen and having to log back in (I think it's happened to me twice, I wasted 30s logging back in each time) you take down the servers for everyone.

This was not a problem that couldn't wait 72h in my opinion, and I don't think many would disagree. The problems in Ilum continued for days while every forum had people screaming at you to put a stop to the insanity before you finally turned the taxis off. I haven't seen mention of this problem so can't understand why it was such an emergency

Quote:

Quote box purposefully blank. This represents your utter lack of communication with your customers. Potentially tens or even hundreds of thousands of us expecting the servers to be online and finding them unexpectedly taken down. No reason given, no communication at all other than to turn off all the comments on the forums in your customary 'lalalala-we-can't-hear-you' downtime policy. No updates given until a few minutes before the servers were due up, and then just a 'they're still down, they're not coming up yet, and there's no eta'.

If servers have to come down, then fine, they have to come down. That's no excuse for mishandling the situation and making things WORSE. For a multinational company running a worldwide premium MMO, you simply can't treat your customers like mushrooms all the time. You must have a Customer Services or Community Relations team, and they are failing in their responsibilities. It only takes a few minutes to update your subscribers on situations and it goes a long way to quelling resentment. Please improve your service in this area.

Shaddaq
01.28.2012 , 10:25 AM | #2
Quote:
This was not a problem that couldn't wait 72h in my opinion, and I don't think many would disagree.
Hello,

I disagree.
-Shaddaq (IBM PC/XT, 640k RAM, Argent EGA Adaptor, 2x5.25" Floppies.)

"If you Wrong Us, Shall we not Revenge?"
-Shylock, Merchant of Venice, by William Shakespeare

Mephismo
01.28.2012 , 10:27 AM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Shaddaq View Post
Hello,

I disagree.
Made me lol

Turkman
01.28.2012 , 10:27 AM | #4
I agree with the OP. The lack of communication is astonishing. A lot of anger can be avoided by simply talking to the people.

But you never seem to share information with your customers or if you do, it's after the damage was already done.

Ebbikenezer
01.28.2012 , 10:29 AM | #5
Way more than a 2h warning on the forums, but most people can't be bothered to read when they are busy posting their negativity constantly.

Also: I disagree. Like anyone else with a life, I can surely find something else to entertain myself if the servers are brought down, even unexpectedly. It's a game, not your livelihood.
Quote: Originally Posted by battlebug View Post
can you make sword in box light sword so sword come out when opened? then if sword is back after sword, use light saber on box, and saber will be boxed after sword is out.

Demorgoth
01.28.2012 , 10:34 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Ebbikenezer View Post
Way more than a 2h warning on the forums, but most people can't be bothered to read when they are busy posting their negativity constantly.

Where did you see all this advance notice?

I see a post that was posted at 12:10am CST today announcing the patch at 2am CST today. If you have seen it elsewhere, then feel free to point it out

Also: I disagree. Like anyone else with a life, I can surely find something else to entertain myself if the servers are brought down, even unexpectedly. It's a game, not your livelihood.
And yet here you are, posting on the forums... And the servers aren't even down any more, so posting on the forums must be more important to you than not only the game, but also all those other things in your life you could be doing right now...

Maidel
01.28.2012 , 10:34 AM | #7
Not a lot of use for anyone who wasnt even awake at the time the notice was given... 8 hours warning wouldnt have been enough to let most europeans know about it, and they are the ones most affected by it!

EDIT - and im quite sure this will be locked in 5 minutes just like all the other threads...

SWaotc
01.28.2012 , 10:36 AM | #8
Hello,

I disagree.
I second this.

USLeatherneck
01.28.2012 , 10:39 AM | #9
Hello,

I disagree.
I agree with this disagreement. This was a necessary fix.

Maidel
01.28.2012 , 10:40 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by USLeatherneck View Post
I agree with this disagreement. This was a necessary fix.
How long has it been a 'necessary fix' and why couldnt it wait till tuesday like everything else?