Kira Carsen - Companion story bug?

Blev

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, so how do we know if we're bugged.

After the defector mission, I selected DS flirt option, she turned me down and told me the council would be disapointed in us.

After the council meeting, in the ships intercom conversation, I flirted again and she told me she had to resist urges.

For bugged people, there is no second option. I selected the first option and Kira stopped having any quest/dialog progress whatsoever. By your second sentence, you're ahead of the bugged people. Relax.

At the point I am in regards to this whole mess right now, I think I would just be willing to drop it completely if they fix it in tonight's patch. I'm at a very unique place where I'm feeling unusually ready to just forgive and forget, if they finally throw us a bone or an ETA or something.

As stated a few pages back, I'm electing to reroll if the patch notes for the 10th come out and don't include a fix. There is a large part of me that really just wants to stop giving them my money because of how poorly this was handled. But I just can't bring myself to go that far. I have been, at times, bordering on furious that I should have to go through all of this to be able to enjoy the game that I paid for, but I'm just sick of it gnawing at the back of my mind and putting me in a bad mood for weeks straight.

This should have been such a different experience for me. For all of us. It should have been an epic journey in the Star Wars universe, the likes of which we would always remember fondly. I don't know if I'll ever be able to stop feeling cheated of that, but I am ready to move on from it.

This was not okay, BioWare. Just not okay. I don't know if I have much more to say on the subject, but this will probably be my second to last post in this thread (other than, "Thank you for finally doing something," or "That's it, I'm re-rolling,") so I just wanted to get the rest of what I was thinking out there.

Am I upset due to a sense of entitlement to a certain level of experience? Yes, I will fully admit. But at this point, I don't feel that I am acting unjustly entitled. We deserved better than this.

Much respect to you for defining the issue in such a balanced way. I think someone from Bioware should take a clue.

I've given up hope that this will be fixed anytime soon. We're at 156 pages and we have not received any substantial information on their plans to fix it. I'm just going to continue enjoying what I have of my Jedi Knight and hope it gets added in the future so I have something to look forward to after I complete the main story.

I've given up hope that this will be fixed anytime soon. We're at 156 pages and we have not received any substantial information on their plans to fix it. I'm just going to continue enjoying what I have of my Jedi Knight and hope it gets added in the future so I have something to look forward to after I complete the main story.

They prefer discussing on more important topics, like is magenta saber colour different from purple sabre colour.

Anyway, I don't think this issue will be fixed before at least one month.

It's a hard issue to fix. Just enabling the conversations/quests will mess the relationship between that side story and main story line. One solution would be rolling back all players (acquired levels and gear included) to that point in the story. That would probably result on players uprising due to loss of levels, gear and time spent on that char. Other solution would be making new conversations to match the setting of the story at level 50. Both solutions aren't easy, one due to players' reactions other due to the amount of work needed. I wouldn't like to be in BW's shoes on this one. Still, I hope they come out with the best possible fix for this bug.

It's a hard issue to fix. Just enabling the conversations/quests will mess the relationship between that side story and main story line. One solution would be rolling back all players (acquired levels and gear included) to that point in the story. That would probably result on players uprising due to loss of levels, gear and time spent on that char. Other solution would be making new conversations to match the setting of the story at level 50. Both solutions aren't easy, one due to players' reactions other due to the amount of work needed. I wouldn't like to be in BW's shoes on this one. Still, I hope they come out with the best possible fix for this bug.

It isn't hard to fix. It's patently false that gear is related to variables dictating companion behavior, and highly dubious that level does. You experience the game as a cohesive whole where everything interacts with you equally, but that's not how code is written.

Somewhere in the code for Kira, our DS response triggered a value which looped her into not having normal companion behavior. That switch needs to get unflipped.

The very worst-case scenario would be resetting the class questline to that point, but those values are unrelated to level and gear.

/bump

Don't care about class bosses being too hard for some

Don't care about force push/pull/saber toss

Don't care about hoods up or down (though this is a good idea)

Don't care about the DPS being too weak or needing nerfer

Kira fix!

Edited by Vengillian

When will they get this fixed? after the 1thousandth post?

i mean just let us start the conversations from the begining and go till it hits our max afection?

please bioware fix this soon! this makes the jedi knight almost unplayable.

I only use kira and i hate advancing without her story.

It isn't hard to fix. It's patently false that gear is related to variables dictating companion behavior, and highly dubious that level does. You experience the game as a cohesive whole where everything interacts with you equally, but that's not how code is written.

Somewhere in the code for Kira, our DS response triggered a value which looped her into not having normal companion behavior. That switch needs to get unflipped.

The very worst-case scenario would be resetting the class questline to that point, but those values are unrelated to level and gear.

I was focusing my opinion on the degree of relationship between the main story line and the side story related to Kira and to find a way to not mess things up and make both stories (main and Kira's) flow together as intended. Ofc I don't know how the game code was written and what are it's limitations or how tight it's tied to the story line. If you got your level rolled back, you wouldn't be able to use the higher level gear, this if, and only if, the level rollback was really needed to fix this issue which I believe it's not. As much as I like technical stuff (I'm a software developer myself though I have zero experience on how a game is made, unfortunately) I was not trying to turn this thread into a technical discussion.

I can only recommend that everyone here opens in-game tickets detailing this situation.

Yes, they already know about the issue, and yes you will only get an automated response. However, the more complaints coming in directly to the customer service regarding this precise issue, the better.

So why can't Bioware just have an employee move people's story quest back to "The Defector" mission? In beta people had to have their class quest moved forward/backward all the time due to bugs, so why can't they just give people the option to do this?

1) There were far less people in beta

2) This bug is not trivial to deal with

As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

If you're driving down the highway, making a wrong turn is much easier to prevent than to recover from.

Rather than just sit around, waiting, I made a new JK. I leveled up all the way through The Defector quest, doing everything exactly how I had done on my original JK. This time, however, the conversation after Tython was very different. The conversations we all had on our original JKs, after speaking with the council, do not even fit in with what happens now.

For a person who has stopped during chapter 1, fixing their character would be much different from fixing one that has completed chapter 3. What exactly do you do? I suppose you could reset all of the class storyline quests to just before The Defector, but is that desirable? What about players who never used Kira except when they had to? What about female characters?

I'm going to keep playing my new JK to see if anything goes differently through where I stopped with my original one. If not, then I'll feel more confident in a potential fix.

This is just a really bad situation to recover from.

I can only recommend that everyone here opens in-game tickets detailing this situation.

Yes, they already know about the issue, and yes you will only get an automated response. However, the more complaints coming in directly to the customer service regarding this precise issue, the better.

I'd have to agree with this. Squeaky wheel gets the oil, and since this is fixed for new players, it's entirely possible that we'll eventually be in the minority. I have guildy knights who are laissez-faire about this because they simply didn't pick the wrong option.

We need to be vocal -- respectfully -- that we'd REALLY like this problem fixed, and it's a priority in our play.

I just brought this issue to light on the central General Discussion Forum, with the hope it will reach a wider audience and an official word from the Devs. I have, of course, referenced the magnitude of this thread and have also provided a link back to it.

This 157 page thread has currently achieved no official response, so let's hope the same thing in the General Discussion board will yield better results.

Here it is: http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=1265209#post1265209

We need to be vocal -- respectfully -- that we'd REALLY like this problem fixed, and it's a priority in our play.
I've come to agree with this, and will post a bug report in game now. I haven't done anything but crew skills in many days, waiting for a fix before I progress. But I'm starting to lose patience. I know from other games that my first character is always my most cherished, so this will become a major issue for me if it's not fixed at all.

Hello everyone,

I wanted to give you a quick update on this issue. We know it's been very frustrating and we appreciate your patience while we've worked to fix it.

Our next major patch should deploy to the Public Test Server pretty soon, and amongst other things, that patch should completely fix the Kira Carsen issue. After that patch has been thoroughly tested and verified we'll be deploying to the live servers; we'll announce an ETA on that when we have a confirmed date.

Again, thank you for your patience on this issue.

I'd have to agree with this. Squeaky wheel gets the oil, and since this is fixed for new players, it's entirely possible that we'll eventually be in the minority. I have guildy knights who are laissez-faire about this because they simply didn't pick the wrong option.

This is precisely my fear also: we will very soon be in the minority, and as more time goes on, the more likely they will be able to easily sweep it under the rug.

Open tickets and keep commenting (take a look at the thread I opened on the General Discussion board).

Hello everyone,

I wanted to give you a quick update on this issue. We know it's been very frustrating and we appreciate your patience while we've worked to fix it.

Our next major patch should deploy to the Public Test Server pretty soon, and amongst other things, that patch should completely fix the Kira Carsen issue. After that patch has been thoroughly tested and verified we'll be deploying to the live servers; we'll announce an ETA on that when we have a confirmed date.

http://ragefac.es/faces/79644cd774e764847ca923c2ceaa36b5.png

Edited by TirJin_Meteos

Hello everyone,

Finally a response (and not 15 minutes after I post the same issue on the General Discussion board).

What constitutes a "major patch"? Is it simply the big down-time every Tuesday evening? So this Tuesday we should see a fix?

What constitutes a "major patch"? Is it simply the big down-time every Tuesday evening? So this Tuesday we should see a fix?

That's my understanding, though it could be delayed due to the three "Emergency Patches" they had to put out this week. I don't mind, now that I at least know it will be fixed in the next patch.