The Star Wars: The Old Republic Community Cantina Tour Arrives in Vancouver, British Columbia!

TaitWatson

I'll be there if I can switch shifts at work. I wonder how crowded it'll actually be with fans cuz Vancouver isn't exactly a big market, at least it doesn't seem that way, but I hope I can talk to the developers a little.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Dev Post
What do we actually do at these things? Open question forum? Autographs? One-on-one mingling with developers? Is there food?

The answer is basically yes to all of them. We have a bit of a Q&A and then break out into just mingling with food and drink. This gives everyone a chance to mingle and a chat in a more personal way with developers, community folks, etc.

-eric

I'm so delighted that you've finally made it to Canada. You've been to NYC, but I'm wondering if you could maybe just cross the border at Buffalo and come to Toronto on your next trip in the area. There's a huge star wars and SWTOR fan base located in Ontario, and I can't help but feel that some out-reach would be extremely well-received.

The answer is basically yes to all of them. We have a bit of a Q&A and then break out into just mingling with food and drink. This gives everyone a chance to mingle and a chat in a more personal way with developers, community folks, etc.

-eric

That is so awesome! I'm trying to convince my wife we should head down there next weekend. We only live about an hour outside Vancouver. Is there any cost to get in or is it just a free admission "first come first serve" kinda thing? Also, how early should we plan on being there to get in? Do you usually have fairly long lines for admittance.

Thanks! :D

• Dev Post
That is so awesome! I'm trying to convince my wife we should head down there next weekend. We only live about an hour outside Vancouver. Is there any cost to get in or is it just a free admission "first come first serve" kinda thing? Also, how early should we plan on being there to get in? Do you usually have fairly long lines for admittance.

Thanks! :D

Totally free to get in! We have people show up a few hours early but I don't suspect we will run out of space :) Get there when you can and there will be space for you at the event. Make sure to track me down and say hi!

-eric

Just wanted to say thank you personally for coming out to Vancouver with one of these, it was awesome to see other people in real life and have some of our questions answered in person :)

Totally free to get in! We have people show up a few hours early but I don't suspect we will run out of space :) Get there when you can and there will be space for you at the event. Make sure to track me down and say hi!

-eric

Thanks Eric!

My wife and I had a great time. It was really cool to meet some of you guys in person (developers & fans alike). Looking forward to your next stop in the Vancouver area whenever that may be. We will be there!

P.S. I still wanna see more Huttball maps..... sooner than later. Cheers! :p

Vancouver is over but a great time was had by all.

Thanks to Eric and the guys for coming out to our humble corner of Canada. I know the turnout was small but it worked out for us as I'm sure we got to talk way more with you guys than other places. This event totally reinforces what I already knew and that's how hard you and the team work on this game. It's not "just a job" for you guys, it's a passion, and I totally appreciate that.

Enjoy your tour of Vancouver on Sunday, Eric, I hope you like English Bay and hopefully you can check out the sea wall that goes around Stanley Park. I was the 6'4" guy with the "soft kitty" shirt who asked you about Legacy Datacrons and grinning from ear-to-ear when you said they'd never happen cuz it would require totally re-working them. I could tell as I was asking my question you thought I was going to ask you when they were coming but I'm glad they're not.

PS - You're taller in-person. ;)

Of course, driving home after-the-fact, I thought of more questions. If you could answer any of these please do:

1) Will mounts/weapons be dye-able?

2) Will there be a Legacy-wide /ignore function?

3) Will there be the ability to have 2-3 companions active at the same time (ie. a personal flashpoint group)?

4) Why are medpac stacks limited to 20? Any plans to make them 99 or higher?

5) I'd like crafted gear to be stackable like crafted stims are so I can one-click RE all of them instead of one by one.

6) If I'm using a 2-man mount, any plans for our companion to sit in the other seat?

7) I'd like my character sheet © to show my last two tabs that I had open. Right now it always has the same two (melee on the left and defense on the right). Currently, it'll save my last two tabs until I log out and then it defaults back to melee and defense when I come back. I understand keeping defense on the right as a default, but the left should be logical (ie. my Sage doesn't need to see melee stats, she needs to see Force stats).

8) Mainly for crafting materials, I'd like to be able to organize my inventory by name in order to a) find what I want and b) put them all together. None of the options right now really do much to help.

9) Condense login screen to show more than 8 characters, ideally the server max of 22, and allow us to sort them in ways other than how recently they were played... alphabetical would be great.

PS - Consider having those cheesy "Hi, my name is" stickers for future events. It would be fun to put our forum names on there, except for the potential for fisticuffs.

Edited by PetFish

Any chance a forumite that was there could put up the Q&A stuff?

I always find it a nightmare to track down the Q&A transcripts and more often than not they are not direct quotes but annotated highlights :/

http://mcsluethgaming.com/2014/05/17/swtor-vancouver-community-cantina-recap-and-qa/

The talk about strongholds approach really really confuses me.

One one hand it's

"The problem with teasing something is as soon as something is even a little teased people can grab hold of that and start making a bunch of huge assumptions about what “they think it is” and that can be hard to taper when they finally get to see it and it may not be what they thought, so we are wary of showing people anything until we can really show you what it is and how it works so you’re not as.. overly ambitious of the project."

and on the other hand it's

I will say though it is nothing like any system in any other mmo out there right now it just isn’t… It is completely different and new style, It will really only make sense when you can see it in action. All i can right now is truly I am also a huge huge fan of housing in games I always have been since the early days of housing in games and I promise you, as a fan of housing you will not be disappointed in how our works. seriously. we have put a lot of thought into making it customizable (not to disparage other games).

First one makes me expect something a bit above lotro level an nothing near say wildstar. Second one - which is basically a "we're one upping everyone else tbh", coupled with the trailer talk of balconies and stairs as "features" ( I mean who would mention *stairs* just for the sake of it if they were just a part of a pre-made floor-plan) makes me dream big. As in I can design my own stronghold layout big. :confused: