The lack of Kira and Scourge is just weird

Lium

I know this was brought up a lot during KOTFE/KOTET, but that other thread about who might be the traitor had me thinking about them again.

While I don't think it'll be either one of them, I don't understand why the writers couldn't have found a way to involve them in the story somehow. Anyone who hasn't played through the JK story might not know who they are or why they are important, so here's a brief description of why they should've been included.

Kira Carsen was a Child of the Emperor and the apprentice to the Jedi Knight, inarguably the main character of both expansions and the hero of the entire game. That she would not have found her old master is beyond weird. That Valkorion would not have sought her out as leverage against the Outlander, even a non-Jedi Outlander, is even stranger. They had a connection and Kira was a powerful Force-user in her own right.

The exclusion of Scourge is nothing short of bad writing. The entirety of Scourge's backstory and his whole reason for joining the JK was directly tied to the emperor. He used to be his Wrath before the SW and had visions of the Jedi finally striking down Vitiate. That he wasn't even mentioned in KOTET - not even as an Alert contact, is so odd to me.

Do you think they will be included in future content with an explanation of their absence?

I definitely think they should be returned and with good reason for being away. Especially Scourge. They've done that character such a disservice. There needs to be some seriously awesome Scourge content to make up for what they've done. They totally dropped the ball.

Concerning Kira:

I don't understand why the writers couldn't have found a way to involve them in the story somehow.

It's been suggested elsewhere that one of the female voice actresses refused to come back to do additional lines due to some unstated reason. Yes, they could hire another voice actress to take over the position but it appears EA would have them redo all of the previous voice actresses lines.

And that's a chunk of money.

Also a friendly reminder that there is still an ongoing voice actors strike with EA as a main target.

I;d point to previous threads about this where this was discussed but that just offends people around here for some reason.

Edited by dr_mike

Scourge was completely absent all the way back since SoR. All of the companions have been abandoned since RotHC; Kira doesn't even say anything if you cheat on her, right infront of her.

With the exception of Talos Drellik (during the Sith Inquisitor's SoR personal quest), there is no interaction and not until KotFE, they haven't been a part of your story since 1-50.

I agree with you, but it's far too late for them to fix Scourge. Kira can still be a part of the story (I'm willing to be bet she will at least come back like Jorgan, Torian, Quinn, etc...), but Scourge needs to be killed off like Tanno Vik.

Maybe they could write up a mail by Scourge for JKs at some point to explain his plot hole.

Concerning Kira:

It's been suggested elsewhere that one of the female voice actresses refused to come back to do additional lines due to some unstated reason. Yes, they could hire another voice actress to take over the position but it appears EA would have them redo all of the previous voice actresses lines.

That was apparently Jaesa's VA and it was because she was busy with other projects, not necessarily a refusal to ever work on SWTOR again.

Laura Bailey, who voiced Kira Carsen, did voice work for Dragon Age: Inquisition, another Bioware game that released three years after SWTOR. It doesn't seem she has a problem doing voice work for Bioware either.

If the game doesn't die abruptly in near future (it just as well might considering how low the playerbase morale is), I would expect Kira to come back within next two-three big updates as a Republic-affiliated companion. It's a perfect moment to do so, as she probably wouldn't work with Sith under any circumstances. And Scourge could show up as an Imperial-affiliated force-user (after all, he doesn't hold any true loyalty to the Knight), maybe giving us some revelation about Vitiate/Eternal Empire that we missed earlier. It would fit perfectly with the current theme.

#wishfulthinking

By and large Lord Scourge should be filling in the role Lana serves throughout KoTFE/TET

At the end of the Jedi Knight storyline the whole reason he stays as part of your crew is "to stay around long enough to see if my former master left any surprises for us." I think his hijinks in Shadow of Revan and devouring all of Ziost and conquering the galaxy with a fleet of super space ships would count as "surprises", and hes 300+ years old, if anyone would have had any clues or insight about him constantly visiting Zakuul and an eternal empire, itd be him.

The lack of Lord Scourge in the recent storylines really stands out as a huge missed opportunity to bridge these two "eras" of SWTORs storylines to me.

I just don't want them to bring back Kira due to her connection to Vitiate/Valkorion. Enough is enough. If they're going to finish a storyline, let it remain finished.

I just don't want them to bring back Kira due to her connection to Vitiate/Valkorion. Enough is enough. If they're going to finish a storyline, let it remain finished.

I agree. The time has already passed. If they come back now, it'll just be stupid, especially Scourge.

You say it like if her character was only about Vitiate connection It was much more than that IMO. And well, the Emperor was a defining figure in galactic history for many centuries, Iokath doesn't have to be the only mess he left behind. There can be good stories to be told with Kira and Scourge that doesn't involve him being ressurected or any other unnecessary plot twist.

You say it like if her character was only about Vitiate connection It was much more than that IMO. And well, the Emperor was a defining figure in galactic history for many centuries, Iokath doesn't have to be the only mess he left behind. There can be good stories to be told with Kira and Scourge that doesn't involve him being ressurected or any other unnecessary plot twist.

That's a good point, and I did not word my post very well. I would be happy if Kira came back, but not if it's due to some storyline connected to Valkorion. And Ralei has a good point, too. If they didn't bring her back to tie in Valkorion during KotFE/KotET, it's going to be hard to explain why they came back now.

Just because vitiate has passed doesnt mean those characters arent still in the world doing something with their lives. Iokath has nothing to do with Havok Squad nor the Trooper story, doesnt mean it was bad to include Elara Dorne. As long as they make sense in the story that brings them back (regardless of what that story is about), itll fit.

Of all the companions who have returned in 25 chapters and countless alliance alerts, Jedi Knight has only seen 2 return.. one of which was Russk, who is among the least impactful characters in all the stories. At some point Jedi Knight needs to see some of its more substantial companions resurface, particularly the ones who were romances for them. (Smugglers and Consulars are in a similar boat)

It's not weird, here's why.

Most people play Jedi Knight, so to keep most people in the game, the saved the jedi knight companions for last.

EA overlord marketing logic.

I think that is what happened as well.

I think they deliberately delayed bringing back some of the companions, to keep players anticipating the return of

some of the more popular companions subscribed throughout KOTFE and KOTET. It isn't a coincidence that most of the first companions to return were ones that wouldn't be on most peoples' favorites list. (Yuun, Lokin, ect)

They were probably saving Kira and Scourge for one of the later chapters, but when KOTFE failed to meet expectations the KOTFE/KOTET story arc ended up being cut short and companions that made the most sense to return from a story perspective (Kira & Scourge), never returned.

It's not weird, here's why.

Most people play Jedi Knight, so to keep most people in the game, the saved the jedi knight companions for last.

EA overlord marketing logic.

Since every server I've played on has the Empire population around a 2:1, and in some cases 3:1, higher than Republic side, I dont think id agree that most people play Jedi Knight. (I wouldnt even be confident saying knight is the highest played class just counting republic players either when compared to Consulars)

If I had to guess Id say Inquisitors and Warriors both have considerably higher populations than Jedi Knights, just from the significant difference in population between the two factions. Though a similar case for the original point could still be made for Inquisitors AND Consulars companions (only 2 returned for Inq, and 1 for Consulars, none being the romance options).

Since every server I've played on has the Empire population around a 2:1, and in some cases 3:1, higher than Republic side, I dont think id agree that most people play Jedi Knight. ...

More people in general may play Sith for endgame, but most story centric players understand that the Jedi Knight story is the central story to the launch game.

I've been disappointed in the writers ever since I realized there were main characters from the novels, comics and other hype material that were not in game at all.

And even if they do appear in the game they don't always get much attention, like many of the characters from the trailers. Or they end up like Jace Malcom who gets his first major appearance only for it to be...well what we got on Iokath.

The failure to include Kira or (especially) Scourge in Vitiate/Valkorion's story still baffles me. Maybe Bioware really did think they could extend the story long enough to introduce one or both of them, but still...

Edited by RarePorcupine

That's a good point, and I did not word my post very well. I would be happy if Kira came back, but not if it's due to some storyline connected to Valkorion. And Ralei has a good point, too. If they didn't bring her back to tie in Valkorion during KotFE/KotET, it's going to be hard to explain why they came back now.

yes, Kira is more understandable than Scourge. I never bought in to the whole "Child of The Emperor that should be able to feel every Valkorion fart" thing. She could have been doing her own thing for a while, she was always very independent anyway. It's just hard to imagine her ignoring all the things the Outlander was doing against him, especially if you're the Knight. Not every companion can be in Imperial prison for years and years as an excuse (Quinn -_-)

Scourge, though, ***, he should have been front and center. The fact that he wasn't means he's just deadddddd and I don't want him brought back with some lame *** excuse. Or brought back with some light side companion that would have been his double. "Choose Scourge or Choose Mako!!" What Bioware??? They aren't even similar..."YES THEY ARE STORY MATTERS".

It was weird that Kira never returned for the Emperor's plot ending, but unlike Scourge, her story isn't just about him. And they can clearly get her back, they had her return to voice lines even in Kotfe. Edited by OldVengeance