Revan .... I'm Sorry, but Really?

Lightstrake

I think the problem is that, since Revan clearly *is* alive in the TOR timeline, having him die in a mid-30's flashpoint, which only half the population would actually see, just seems demeaning. Not to the character -- who, for all intents and purposes, isn't particularly exceptional beyond just being brave -- but to the fans of KotOR.

Quite frankly, I would've preferred Revan have gotten a "Happily ever after" story after KotOR, but because his story was stretched out, it takes away that sense of closure. The way I look at it, I want to see Revan find rest, but preferably on more of a bittersweet note, rather than purely a sour one.

Of course, you can't deny the excitement of Revan coming back to lead the Republic as Mandalore steps up to the plate in a future expansion --- that's pure speculation on my part, but it definitely seems like the most bold move they could do, after... certain "events" take place at the end some of the Stories.

I think, ultimately, Revan just feels too much like a footnote -- a cameo-appearance, if you will. Considering our Happy-Ending was ripped away from us, we deserve to get a better conclusion.

Personally? I'd like to see Revan make an appearance, not as some General for the Republic, but play to his mysterious nature. After the conflict with the Emperor ends, have him appear to Bastila Shan and Mandalore, and show that he now seeks to make peace before "becoming one with the Force", from fatal wounds.

For Republic, his farewell-speech would involve revealing his identity as her ancestor, profession his love for Bastila (maybe have her spirit appear briefly here?), and basically reaffirm that Satele is supposed to go on to be the true hero, and that as he fades away, he is at peace in Bastila's embrace.

Empire characters, not to be left out in the cold, could meet Revan (presumably before the meeting with Satele) alongside Mandalore. Mandalore, knowing Revan is dieing, allows Revan to make his way to the Republic before passing on. Before he leaves, Revan might commend Mandalore for his exceptional show of honor, commenting that even Canderous Ordo would be proud to fight alongside this latest Mandalore.

A bit melodramatic, but I think it's the sort of thing that would both bring closure to fans of the original KotOR, while also giving The Old Republic some breathing room. Satele Shan is obviously meant to be the hero of the Republic now, but that doesn't mean Revan's fate should be meaningless. As that's what it feels like, as of right now; meaningless.

First of it is not even certain he is dead which alot of people seem to forget. He vanishes in a flash of lightning and Bioware has specifically stated they changed his end from the Beta in order to accomedate a possible reappearence.

Secondly, with every Flashpoint having a level 50 Hardmode chances are good everyone will see his end sooner or later.

Also I personanly dont think the kind of ending you describe would be fitting of Revan. He left everything behind when he went to fight the Emperor, he was (almost) alone in that and how it has been most of the time. He has had allies, but they have changed as his goals did and in the end it was just him.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The question I'd love to get an answer from BioWares writers is - how exactly a bunch of nobodies could kill what could be the most powerful Sith/Jedi of all time? I do know, that if somehow Revan was to go back to the Republics side, he would have probably tipped the balance in their favor, but still I feel like what they did with him was a huge lack of imagination.

First of he is pwoerful yes, but he is not the most powerful, not even by longshot. Top tier yes, most powerful no.

Secondly have you been leveling through PvP and Flashpoints solely? Because if you play the story you would know that we are far from nobodies. We are heroes, we change the galaxy.

I mean as a Bounty Hunter, no as the greatest Bounty Hunter in the galaxy my final quest of my class story was to

Go after the Supreme Chancelor himself aboard his personal flagship

Does that sound like a nobody to you?

I think the problem is that, since Revan clearly *is* alive in the TOR timeline, having him die in a mid-30's flashpoint, which only half the population would actually see, just seems demeaning. Not to the character -- who, for all intents and purposes, isn't particularly exceptional beyond just being brave -- but to the fans of KotOR.

Quite frankly, I would've preferred Revan have gotten a "Happily ever after" story after KotOR, but because his story was stretched out, it takes away that sense of closure. The way I look at it, I want to see Revan find rest, but preferably on more of a bittersweet note, rather than purely a sour one.

Of course, you can't deny the excitement of Revan coming back to lead the Republic as Mandalore steps up to the plate in a future expansion --- that's pure speculation on my part, but it definitely seems like the most bold move they could do, after... certain "events" take place at the end some of the Stories.

I think, ultimately, Revan just feels too much like a footnote -- a cameo-appearance, if you will. Considering our Happy-Ending was ripped away from us, we deserve to get a better conclusion.

Personally? I'd like to see Revan make an appearance, not as some General for the Republic, but play to his mysterious nature. After the conflict with the Emperor ends, have him appear to Bastila Shan and Mandalore, and show that he now seeks to make peace before "becoming one with the Force", from fatal wounds.

For Republic, his farewell-speech would involve revealing his identity as her ancestor, profession his love for Bastila (maybe have her spirit appear briefly here?), and basically reaffirm that Satele is supposed to go on to be the true hero, and that as he fades away, he is at peace in Bastila's embrace.

Empire characters, not to be left out in the cold, could meet Revan (presumably before the meeting with Satele) alongside Mandalore. Mandalore, knowing Revan is dieing, allows Revan to make his way to the Republic before passing on. Before he leaves, Revan might commend Mandalore for his exceptional show of honor, commenting that even Canderous Ordo would be proud to fight alongside this latest Mandalore.

A bit melodramatic, but I think it's the sort of thing that would both bring closure to fans of the original KotOR, while also giving The Old Republic some breathing room. Satele Shan is obviously meant to be the hero of the Republic now, but that doesn't mean Revan's fate should be meaningless. As that's what it feels like, as of right now; meaningless.

Revan's fate was never going to be a happy ending. And as a fan of KotOR (And TSL) I don't feel the same way you do. I personally like seeing a man who did both good and evil and in the end was brought down to nothing. Its an impact that you rarely see of characters these days. After KotOR his story might have seemed like a happy ending but TSL changed that, so this ain't even a problem with SWTOR.

TSL made the point that he left everything behind to go after the True Sith (The Empire). The Revan novel elaborated on those events. And SWTOR is the conclusion.

First of he is pwoerful yes, but he is not the most powerful, not even by longshot. Top tier yes, most powerful no.

Secondly have you been leveling through PvP and Flashpoints solely? Because if you play the story you would know that we are far from nobodies. We are heroes, we change the galaxy.

I mean as a Bounty Hunter, no as the greatest Bounty Hunter in the galaxy my final quest of my class story was to

Go after the Supreme Chancelor himself aboard his personal flagship

Does that sound like a nobody to you?

I know exactly who we are, not to mention I am a Bounty Hunter myself. But having insight into SW lore(Old Jedi Order/New Jedi Order), few are matching him, as he is a complete warrior. He is one of the greatest duelists of all time and his knowledge of the Force is nearly unmatched. He is also a Farseer and could sense imminent danger in combat. In the Old Republic era, only Meetra Surik is a match for him. Others who could duel him in my opinion are Yoda, Sidious, Mace Windu, Obi Wan(good duelist with his amazing Soresu), Qui-Gon Jinn(in his prime), Dooku and probably Vader.

It's not that I think it's completely impossible for 4 of us to defeat him, I just don't think it's a good way for him to go.

Edited by Amikae

Revan gets quadruple-teamed by elite player characters, so whatever--the problem is it just felt awful, narratively, even playing as a very evil Sith Inquisitor. It felt narratively tonedeaf for players of the first game. What should be exciting ("Whoa, HK-47 is back!") is a "kill HK-47" boss battle, for no reason.

I don't want to kill HK-47, especially because I'm evil. I do not know who thought this would be a good idea. "So let's take everyone's favorite character from the first game, and then you can kill him." Huh?

I guess they were trying to be all bold and unexpected, but this one really backfired for me. I think from what I've heard of the conclusion of the Jedi Knight story, some "redemption" is supposed to come from that, but I'm really not amused.

I can't think of a worse way to handle the characters, really.

Revan gets quadruple-teamed by elite player characters, so whatever--the problem is it just felt awful, narratively, even playing as a very evil Sith Inquisitor. It felt narratively tonedeaf for players of the first game. What should be exciting ("Whoa, HK-47 is back!") is a "kill HK-47" boss battle, for no reason.

I don't want to kill HK-47, especially because I'm evil. I do not know who thought this would be a good idea. "So let's take everyone's favorite character from the first game, and then you can kill him." Huh?

I guess they were trying to be all bold and unexpected, but this one really backfired for me. I think from what I've heard of the conclusion of the Jedi Knight story, some "redemption" is supposed to come from that, but I'm really not amused.

I can't think of a worse way to handle the characters, really.

Your an Empire player, HK-47 serves Revan a direct opponent of the Empire. How would you expect to meet him in Flashpoint or...anywhere without killing him or at least trying?

I'm by no means property of the Empire. I am a Bounty Hunter and work for the highest bidder. If it was possible, I would have worked for the Republic too. Credits are credits. There are many ways in which we could have met Revan. Just like how we met Satele Shan for the first time on Black Talon.

I don't like a lot of things about the way they handled Revan's story. For instance, I don't like that the Emperor is what caused Revan to fall to the Dark Side in the first place. I don't like the way the Jedi Exile died. I don't like that Revan is even alive during TOR. I don't like that you see Revan's face. I don't like that you hear Revan's voice.

I REALLY don't like that you fight Revan in a midlevel 4-man Flashpoint where you don't have complete control over the dialogue options and some idiot can ruin the scene by choosing to attack right off the bat.

And yes, this is all probably because I formed a strong attachment to Revan after KOTOR.

Don't get me wrong, the Flashpoint itself was epic and the boss battles were fun. But storywise...it just wasn't doing it for me. If you're going to insist on having Revan in a game that takes place 300 years later, his appearance should at least serve as good closure, both to those who hate him and want to personally kick his ***, and those who love him, and want to give him a respectful send-off.

I would have MUCH preferred a one-time, level 50 quest where your character duels Revan one on one.

He doesn't speak. He is cloaked and masked. You don't see his face. He is sitting silently in the middle of the room, watching a holocron of Bastila and maybe a young Vaner over and over again.

You draw your weapon. He rises, turns, and draws his lightsaber. You then fight one-on-one, no companions, no groupmates, nothing but you and Revan.

After the battle there is a brief cutscene of Revan lowering his weapon and bowing his head. And then you cut him down.

Short. Simple. Poignant.

I understand that you can't make everyone happy. But it just seemed so...jarring to have Revan, the character that started it all, go out as nothing more than a raving genocidal lunatic without any shred of dignity left.

I don't like a lot of things about the way they handled Revan's story. For instance, I don't like that the Emperor is what caused Revan to fall to the Dark Side in the first place. I don't like the way the Jedi Exile died. I don't like that Revan is even alive during TOR. I don't like that you see Revan's face. I don't like that you hear Revan's voice.

I REALLY don't like that you fight Revan in a midlevel 4-man Flashpoint where you don't have complete control over the dialogue options and some idiot can ruin the scene by choosing to attack right off the bat.

And yes, this is all probably because I formed a strong attachment to Revan after KOTOR.

Don't get me wrong, the Flashpoint itself was epic and the boss battles were fun. But storywise...it just wasn't doing it for me. If you're going to insist on having Revan in a game that takes place 300 years later, his appearance should at least serve as good closure, both to those who hate him and want to personally kick his ***, and those who love him, and want to give him a respectful send-off.

I would have MUCH preferred a one-time, level 50 quest where your character duels Revan one on one.

He doesn't speak. He is cloaked and masked. You don't see his face. He is sitting silently in the middle of the room, watching a holocron of Bastila and maybe a young Vaner over and over again.

You draw your weapon. He rises, turns, and draws his lightsaber. You then fight one-on-one, no companions, no groupmates, nothing but you and Revan.

After the battle there is a brief cutscene of Revan lowering his weapon and bowing his head. And then you cut him down.

Short. Simple. Poignant.

I understand that you can't make everyone happy. But it just seemed so...jarring to have Revan, the character that started it all, go out as nothing more than a raving genocidal lunatic without any shred of dignity left.

Raving genocidial lunatic? Did we play the same Flashpoint?

Too me he came of as a man who had been through hell and that it had left its scars, but he still had power and knowledge and he was gonna use that too fight the Emperor. He might have been slightly delusional saying he was the only one who could beat the Emperor, but he was by no means a raving lunatic.

Raving genocidial lunatic? Did we play the same Flashpoint?

Too me he came of as a man who had been through hell and that it had left its scars, but he still had power and knowledge and he was gonna use that too fight the Emperor. He might have been slightly delusional saying he was the only one who could beat the Emperor, but he was by no means a raving lunatic.

He was trying to kill off everyone in the galaxy who had any sort of Sith Pureblood lineage in them. HK-47 states that it's something like 97% of the Empire's population.

If you go with the dialogue choices that inquire as to his plans and tell him that he can still turn back to the light, he refuses and says it's the only way to stop the Empire once and for all.

And he keeps screaming I AM A JEDI throughout the entire battle.

Raving? Check. Genocidal? Check. Lunatic? On account of the other two, check.

Edited by DrMelhattan

Revan's inclusion in this game, like the overall quality of the class stories is proof enough that Bioware had their B Team writing most of TOR's content.

I'm glad that after a few months of release people are still making a million topics on this matter because regardless of what the movie and EU fan boys say, Revan was an exceptional character by any standard, and deserved more.

Edited by Bone_Machine

He was trying to kill off everyone in the galaxy who had any sort of Sith Pureblood lineage in them. HK-47 states that it's something like 97% of the Empire's population.

If you go with the dialogue choices that inquire as to his plans and tell him that he can still turn back to the light, he refuses and says it's the only way to stop the Empire once and for all.

And he keeps screaming I AM A JEDI throughout the entire battle.

Raving? Check. Genocidal? Check. Lunatic? On account of the other two, check.

And?

Coming from a pure Jedi I would have considered such a plan insane and completely out of character.

But Revan is not a pure Jedi. He is hero no doubt about that, a hero who sacrificed everything and gained very little or nothing at all. He gave the galaxy time never counting on his own return.

But now he is back and he is doing what he judges he must too stop the Sith Empire once and for all. He sees a bigger picture, a picture of of what the Emperor will do if left alone and is working against it with all his might.

And?

Coming from a pure Jedi I would have considered such a plan insane and completely out of character.

But Revan is not a pure Jedi. He is hero no doubt about that, a hero who sacrificed everything and gained very little or nothing at all. He gave the galaxy time never counting on his own return.

But now he is back and he is doing what he judges he must too stop the Sith Empire once and for all. He sees a bigger picture, a picture of of what the Emperor will do if left alone and is working against it with all his might.

From ANYONE, Jedi or not, this plan is insane. Genocide = not sane in any way, shape, or form.

He might have his reasons, but at the end of the day he still wants to mass murder an entire race of people as well as any person having the slightest bit of their genetic ancestry.

I understand why he thinks this is the only answer, but that doesn't make it any less crazy.

Just because you can explain the crazy doesn't make it less so. And just because he seems composed and articulate doesn't mean he's not stark raving mad.

Edited by DrMelhattan

I got the impression that we didn't totally "kill" him. I suspect we may be seeing him again.

Empire side he just vanishes there is no sign of him saying that he was killed

Republic side he's alive and well

If they re-introduce Revan again I would like to see him at least mention Bastila or even meet his long lost descendant Grandmaster Satale Shan, it would be interesting what they have to say to each other.

If they re-introduce Revan again I would like to see him at least mention Bastila or even meet his long lost descendant Grandmaster Satale Shan, it would be interesting what they have to say to each other.

The Republic flashpoint are about saving him and happen time wise before the Empire flashpoints...dont know if there is any appereances of him after that (and I dont want to know if there is :) )

Spoiler:

HK is in The False Emperor FP; hes tougher than Malgus.

He's also shown to be "alive" and kicking as lat as four thousand years later, during and after the Galctic Civil War.

He's really R2D2 post-plastic surgery.

Edited by Kesh_

From ANYONE, Jedi or not, this plan is insane. Genocide = not sane in any way, shape, or form.

He might have his reasons, but at the end of the day he still wants to mass murder an entire race of people as well as any person having the slightest bit of their genetic ancestry.

I understand why he thinks this is the only answer, but that doesn't make it any less crazy.

Just because you can explain the crazy doesn't make it less so. And just because he seems composed and articulate doesn't mean he's not stark raving mad.

Really? You think Genocide = Not Sane in anyway, shape, or form?

You do realize that Genocide of the Sith Species was what the Jedi attempted to accomplish in the Great Hyperspace War? Seriously, Genocide of the Sith is old hat for the Jedi.

It also completely falls within Revan's character. Does Malachor V ring a bell? Yes, I think Revan was an awesome character but that does not mean I believe he was somehow infallable or that he should be unkillable. In the end, he was one man. Granted, I would have preferred it if Revan had simply died 300 years ago but there really isn't much room for Revan in Star Wars: The Old Republic.

It is the end of his story and the beginning of your own.

When it comes to Revan being corrupted, he took the first steps toward the Dark Side when he set foot on Malachor V. He got turned to the Dark Side, but the Emperor underestimated Revan and when Revan returned to known space he had broken free of his mental shackles. Revan began gearing up for war against the Empire, and felt that the only way to do so was from the Dark Side.

"Who I am is not important, my message is." ―Revan

"Savior, conqueror, hero, villain. You are all things, Revan… and yet you are nothing. In the end, you belong to neither the light nor the darkness. You will forever stand alone." ―Darth Malak

"Is that what he was? Or was he always true to himself, no matter what personality he wore? And there is something that the Council may never understand. That perhaps Revan never fell. The difference between a fall and a sacrifice is sometimes difficult, but I feel that Revan understood that difference, more than anyone knew. The galaxy would have fallen if Revan had not gone to war. Perhaps he became the dark lord out of necessity, to prevent a greater evil." ―Kreia

Seeing him meet Satele would be very very interesting.

SPOILERS ALERT!

Please all correct me if im wrong, but i have read that 'time wise' the republic flashpoint were revan is saved is before the empire flashpoint were he is 'killed' or more likley flees.

I have however ***MAJOR SPOILERS*** noticed that after seeing many class endings, that the emperor is killed by jedi knights with the aid of the emperors wrath, but in sith warrior he is alive and the player is the emps wrath.

Again, correct me please if im wrong, but as is with ALL GAMES LIKE THIS, with multiple different endings, there is always one that will be canon.

And, as ALWAYS with ALL star wars games, the light side ending is always the TRUE STORYLINE. And seeing as though all the Republic side endings tie well together, this would lead me to beleive that revan is not dead, we do not know what has happened to him, only time will tell. As well as this, the emperor is dead and the empire will die out.

I doubt Revan or the False Emperor are really dead. You didn't see their corpses (heck even in star wars seeing a corpse isn't necessarily proof they are good and dead) which leave narrative holes for them to come back. I would be very surprised if both where not brought back at some point in the future

SPOILERS ALERT!

Please all correct me if im wrong, but i have read that 'time wise' the republic flashpoint were revan is saved is before the empire flashpoint were he is 'killed' or more likley flees.

I have however ***MAJOR SPOILERS*** noticed that after seeing many class endings, that the emperor is killed by jedi knights with the aid of the emperors wrath, but in sith warrior he is alive and the player is the emps wrath.

Again, correct me please if im wrong, but as is with ALL GAMES LIKE THIS, with multiple different endings, there is always one that will be canon.

And, as ALWAYS with ALL star wars games, the light side ending is always the TRUE STORYLINE. And seeing as though all the Republic side endings tie well together, this would lead me to beleive that revan is not dead, we do not know what has happened to him, only time will tell. As well as this, the emperor is dead and the empire will die out.

Yes, I believe that Bioware/LucasArts will decide on one canon ending, just like Revan is decided to be light-side male Jedi and Bastila returned to the light side as well from KOTOR.

For one it is already confirmed that Revan does not die, so either it follows the Republic side storyline or follow that Revan vanished without being killed by the Imp players. I'm going with the Republic side as it makes more sense. Revan is rescued by the Republic elite and will aid in the eventual fall of the Empire.

Also, I think the Jedi Knight killing the Emperor will be the canon ending as well, because otherwise you will have lore issues by the time Darth Bane emerges. Killing the Emperor will trigger the beginning of the end of the Empire. The Dark Council will emerge as the top dog, but as with all Sith they will become embroiled in bitter rivalries, throwing the Empire in disarray and without real leadership.

Yea, seriously, I didn't even play KOTOR but read up on some of the history with Revan and my thoughts were basically "really, us 4 random level 35-ish players can kill this guy that resisted the Emperor's corruption for 300 years?" I feel like he deserved at least an operation to close his story.