Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

[PvE] The Mercenary / Commando Healing Guide

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Commando / Mercenary
[PvE] The Mercenary / Commando Healing Guide

Rambeezy
12.13.2013 , 04:31 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Kaos_KidSWTOR View Post
Ok, one thing i noticed is that you have different builds for different situations. you dont need that... http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#30...cdkfGzZMccZb.3 is the only merc build you will ever need for healing. the points in Power Shield and Heat Dampening are kinda useless, unless your at a boss that uses lots of knockback. then Power Shield is semi-useful.
Straight up, I would never use that spec. I need the extra heat vented because of how high I push my heat when I know vent heat is about to come off cd (I also place my vent heats to come off CD during the damage intensive portions of fights). And heat damping is great because you never have to worry about jet boost pushing you over the max regen threshold.

The points you place in cure mind and powered insulators are practically wasted because they do not help your healing output. 4% damage reduction is a pvp talent and in pve should not be necessary to kill bosses (if it is then there's a L2P issue going on). In pve, nothing about putting a point in cure mind warrants the sacrifice of points elsewhere (heat damping and improved vents).

This does not mean your spec is a bad one, it just means that from a pure output stand-point, your spec handicaps a few small areas. And when it comes to merc healing, I firmly believe that it's the small things that matter (like using the most heat as possible between vent heats and using jetboost to increase aoe healing when it's necessary).

Thank you.

NeNiMel
12.16.2013 , 11:04 AM | #12
3K views! Good to see that people are interrested

Quote: Originally Posted by Kaos_KidSWTOR View Post
Ok, one thing i noticed is that you have different builds for different situations. you dont need that... http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#30...cdkfGzZMccZb.3 is the only merc build you will ever need for healing. the points in Power Shield and Heat Dampening are kinda useless, unless your at a boss that uses lots of knockback. then Power Shield is semi-useful.
I agree with Rambeezy! I would never put a point cure mind for PvE content, because there are no mental debuffs in any operations at the moment (That might change in the future).

The points in powered insulators are not necessarily bad, but I would not prioritize them over points in improved vents. In my playstyle I like to be able to burn up a little more heat on healing before using vent heat. Besides the improved vents also provides an alacrity buff when vent heat is used, which is nice for burst phases.

I normally only run with the first talent tree I have posted in the guide. I have listed some alternative trees to illustrate that the first tree is not necessarily the best in all situations. I have met some merc healers that have found it difficult to use jet boost in their rotation and therefore prefer to use a talent tree like the Q&FP tree, from the guide. The talent tree should reflect your preferred playstyle, but as Rambeezy says from a pure output pow, then the first one I have listed should be the best.
A T M E A || < R A G N A R O K >
T H E . R E D . E C I L P S E

Skot-
12.17.2013 , 10:11 AM | #13
Healing has never really been my thing in any mmo over the years. But I can appreciate the work and effort you put in. It looks to be a great guide!

Rambeezy
12.17.2013 , 02:21 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by NeNiMel View Post
Glad to see that you like the changes

I haven't seen any big change in my numbers yet, but I think its because I need to do a few minor adjustments to my playstyle.
I do think it have become a little easier to control my heat though, with more critical reaction procs. It might just be a placebo!

If you got any suggestions dont hold back! I would like to try out new ideas and playstyles

I'd need to see a parse. Typically, things like APM (attack per minute), more people being grouped up for kolto missile, people not standing in circles during dread council, and never stoping heals (even if it means overhealing) are the simplest ways to boost your HPS. My best parses came when my team was helping me boost my numbers by grouping up and my APM was around 34. Also, to get high EHPS, you essentially have to be solo healing or be in NiM content.

Hopefully this helps,
Thank you.

Orderken
12.27.2013 , 02:51 AM | #15
Hi NeNiMel,

I've completed an analysis of Mercenary|Commando healing, and would like to share with you some findings that may be of interest.

Disregarding Critical Reaction|First Responder, for a Mercenary|Commando PVE healer, the ideal amount of Critical from gear is:
1. 363 with 3 Surge Enhancements,
2. 396 with 4 Surge Enhancements, or
3. 420 with 5 Surge Enhancement.

Treating Critical as a matter of personal preference as you stated in the OP is valid, however, because my model shows that healing with non-BIS Critical shouldn't fall short of healing with BIS Critical by more than 1%. Compared to 0 Critical, the above ideal amount of Critical is expected to increase EHPS by 0.66%, 0.80%, or 0.91% with 3, 4, or 5 Surge Enhancements, respectively.

With 5 Surge Enhancements, the 200 to 300 Critical that you recommend in the OP is expected to underperform the above ideal amount of Critical by only 0.24% to 0.07%. In my view, the headline isn't that 420 Critical is ideal when you have 5 Surge Enhancements, but rather that it's been proven that Critical is quite flexible. This should come as welcome news for Mercenary|Commando healers who are gearing up, and therefore may have substantial Critical.
Orderken, <Hates You>, Prophecy of the Five

Guides and Model for Healing
Sorcerer / Sage / Mercenary / Commando / Operative / Scoundrel

NeNiMel
12.29.2013 , 05:00 AM | #16
@Rambeezy
You should be able to find my parses on torparse if you search for "Atmea". You will see that my APM are not as high as yours are. I have not tried to boost my HPS or EHPS by solo healing, so I do not know my max output. Besides HPS and EHPS is very bad measurement for how good a healer you are. HPS and EHPS are only useful, if you know the group and know what happened in that particular pull. That being said I think that parses is a good way to improve your rotation and skill . I have seen a thread on the healing forum on the correct way of using parses as a healer:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=692316

@Orderken
Great job there Orderken . I have not had the time to do the calculations on what would be the ideal stat combination, so it is nice to see that I was not far off. I still think I will stick to the 200-300 critical rating and live with the low loss, because critical heals sometimes just lead to overhealing and I like to have constant higher heal from power. I will put your reply into the OP, so people can see it there .
A T M E A || < R A G N A R O K >
T H E . R E D . E C I L P S E

Orderken
12.29.2013 , 08:34 AM | #17
I still think I will stick to the 200-300 critical rating and live with the low loss, because critical heals sometimes just lead to overhealing and I like to have constant higher heal from power.
I've always had ~250 Critical on my Mercenary healer, based on your and another's recommendations. Despite the results of my calculations, I wasn't going to change this, for the same two reasons that you've noted above. I'm bored, though, so I'm experimenting with it now. I'm not anticipating that I'll observe any significant difference.
Orderken, <Hates You>, Prophecy of the Five

Guides and Model for Healing
Sorcerer / Sage / Mercenary / Commando / Operative / Scoundrel

JattaGin
12.29.2013 , 09:04 AM | #18
Nice guide. Good that you have the commando translations in the appendix.

cs_zoltan
12.29.2013 , 09:51 AM | #19
I still think I will stick to the 200-300 critical rating and live with the low loss, because critical heals sometimes just lead to overhealing and I like to have constant higher heal from power.
That's not really happens in harder contents. Speeking from experience, I've been parsing my raids in the last couple of months with high crit chance (300-430), and the only heals that usually overheal are Kolto Missile, Rapidshots and Proactive Medicine. The rest not really, depending on boss/pull. Obviously with higher crit you have higher chance to overheal, but it's not much
The ability to speak does not make you intelligent. Now get out of here.

The Red Eclipse <PC Gamer Mint Imperials>
KÚja, Kejann, Aemis, KyrÝ, Kyra'h, KÚssa, Frńngit, Lamţa, Kalk´Maelin, Morwy

THoK-Zeus
12.29.2013 , 11:01 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by cs_zoltan View Post
That's not really happens in harder contents. Speeking from experience, I've been parsing my raids in the last couple of months with high crit chance (300-430), and the only heals that usually overheal are Kolto Missile, Rapidshots and Proactive Medicine. The rest not really, depending on boss/pull. Obviously with higher crit you have higher chance to overheal, but it's not much
You have to take into consideration that the average heal difference between 200 and 350 crit is not even 1% of your total healing. According to my spreadsheet it's a 0,2% difference, although that's more of a standardized spreadsheet.

The normal overhealing on average, i have in operations, is 10-15%. It's really difficult to tell how much additional overhealing additional crit brings, but i personally definitly prefer more heals on non-crits,as even if it would be just a tiny percentage of more overhealing, the additional healing on average will not bring any advantage.
I think i personally won't go for more then 250 crit rating in full 78 gear.

Oh and merc healing rules in pve .
Zahik - NoID - The Red Eclipse