Wolfshead.com's SWTOR Review: MMORPG Design & Commentary

Proto

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL... love how the author complains that the authenticator using 8 digits rather than 6 makes it hard to remember. This kind of boggles my mind, since I have yet to memorize any digits for the authenticator, as I just type it in as I read it. Or maybe he isn't a touch typist and has to look at his keyboard. :D

If a site is calling this game an MMORPG I really could not care less what their review says, its an insult to every MMORPG ever made.

Quake was a shooter played by a million online, it was not an MMO.

Dungeon Siege 2 was a single player RPG that could be played online, it was not an MMORPG.

This game may be played by a million or 2, its still a single player RPG with online capabilities, it was made in a way to try to blur the line between MMORPG and single player RPG and that is all.

As a single player RPG this game is a 9/10

As an MMORPG this game is a 3/10

Call it what it is, because if it is what it isnt, it sucks.

Didn't like it. Person who wrote it was reviewing it against his expectations and not how the game was.

I followed the game since late '08 and my expectations were not how the game turned out....

That means one or both of two things...I was lied to or I completely had no comprehension of anything I read for those years and I'm a complete moron.

I may be that moron but I know that right up until the last year of development I had no idea this game was going to be like this...hell, right up until a couple of months before release and I got in to the beta I had no idea.

So don't fault this guy for his expectations. Many of us were greatly deceived either by our own desire for a great game or the EA/BW hype machine.

Well,its not excactly a glowing review,so bioware Defense Force is bound to show up and point out how wrong and clueless this reviewer is :D

in 3...2 ...1..go!

You should consider using your time more constructively. Those so called " Bioware Defense force" people are entitled to their opinion and entitled to enjoy and pray tell, enjoy a game you do not.

The fact that the review suggests the budget was 300million suggests this guy does not do his homework or research.

He also makes a few other weak points such as saying that clicking an npc gives you a full audio greeting...... i mean come on, npc's in this game give you a freaking cutscene.

Dificulty scales dramatically after level 20. 1-20 is the prologe, the game or story hasn't even really begun by then.

If the game was as revolutionary as this guy wanted, his review would say the following.

Why did bioware not implement "insert feature here" like wow, why would you stray from an industry startard implementation of "insert feature here"

There is enough of this on the forums as it is.

I followed the game since late '08 and my expectations were not how the game turned out....

That means one or both of two things...I was lied to or I completely had no comprehension of anything I read for those years and I'm a complete moron.

I may be that moron but I know that right up until the last year of development I had no idea this game was going to be like this...hell, right up until a couple of months before release and I got in to the beta I had no idea.

So don't fault this guy for his expectations. Many of us were greatly deceived either by our own desire for a great game or the EA/BW hype machine.

What were you expecting?

An action based mmo combat machine like DCUO?

A grind fest like Aion?

A truely innovative combat and guild system like AOC?

A pvp focused rvr onslaught like WAR?

A deep space sim like EVE with auto attack and autoflight combat?

Or, did you want an mmo with cinematic qaulity graphics that was freeflowing and flawless chorographed combat that was dynamic with shifting and moving world naratives that somehow tied into the story of millions of players that made sence even tho you have chosen to destroy a planet and they had not.

If its the latter i can understand why your disapointed. You needed the star wars matrix, and this is why you are disapointed.

One of the most popular MMO blogs for the past 5 years writes a very elaborate and thorough review of Bioware's epic Star Wars project.

http://www.wolfsheadonline.com/

Direct link: http://www.wolfsheadonline.com/swtors-300-million-virtual-bridge-to-nowhere/#b5414

Enjoy the good read. :)

How many hours a day to you waist trying to bash this game ? its crazy .

I gave up reading after the first 5 WoW references. I have NEVER played WoW, never will. I don't get why every single MMORPG to be released HAS to be compared to WoW. Tbph, I think there are a lot of free-to-play MMOs that are better than WoW, in terms of gameplay, graphics and aesthetics.

Basically, I thought he was meant to be reviewing SWTOR, not WoW...

He also makes a few other weak points such as saying that clicking an npc gives you a full audio greeting...... i mean come on, npc's in this game give you a freaking cutscene.

He meant random NPC's not quest givers. Random NPC's in this game are like automatons. They never move nor stop what they're doing nor even give a scripted word or two upon clicking them. Some are even unclickable so they're just cardboard cut-outs sitting there for no apparent reason.

A small complaint I suppose but when you make the comparison of SWTOR a game made in 2012 and WoW a game made in 2005...and the 05 game has stupid little features like that and the '12 one doesn't it just makes it look rushed and unpolished.

I gave up reading after the first 5 WoW references. I have NEVER played WoW, never will. I don't get why every single MMORPG to be released HAS to be compared to WoW. Tbph, I think there are a lot of free-to-play MMOs that are better than WoW, in terms of gameplay, graphics and aesthetics.

Basically, I thought he was meant to be reviewing SWTOR, not WoW...

This blogger has been one of the most vocal critics of WoW and Blizzard in general. He's the type of player/designer that wants the entire genre shaken up and re-invented. But what I gathered from his review was what many people have been saying: if you are going to copy WoW (nearly spell by spell), at least do it well AND introduce some variation on the themes. And like other SWTOR critics, he acknowledges that the story-driven content is one of the game's bright spots.

I have played about 20 levels of SWTOR and this review is by no means complete or comprehensive. It is just my thoughts based on my limited experiences. However, I’ve spent enough time playing MMOs to know if I’m going to like a MMO within short order.

You only got to level twenty and you're 'reviewing' the game? You're aware most reviewers at least try to be objective, right? You just took a lot of validity off of anything you have to say because of the incredibly low amount of relative gameplay you have done.

Grouping is rare and even when it does happen in the flashpoints, nobody wants to talk as they’ve been conditioned by WoW’s dungeon finder to complete the experience as fast as possible. The legacy of Blizzard’s dungeon finder technology is that challenging content such as dungeons has become routine and business-like experience for most players. Adventuring has become an exercise in speed and efficiency. This is a tragedy for grouping and socialization.

Really? I've found the exact opposite - opportunities for grouping while leveling are plenty and often taken by players on my server, although it gets harder as you level up because there are less people per zone. You wouldn't know that though, since you only played twenty levels (taking the objectivity of this particular statement, once again, into question.).

By far the worst Blizzard design philosophy that Bioware has copied is the notion that players should be rewarded for just showing up. The sense of achievement and its progeny: status — both critical motivational factors that keep players playing have been completely eroded. Recklessly pandering to the lowest common denominator leads to the creation a sense of entitlement among players that every ounce of content is theirs by right to experience regardless of skill level or commitment. Instead of being viewed as citizens of a virtual world, players are now seen as amusement park customers and treated as such.

I've never understood this line of reasoning; because rewards are given to casual players, rewards are somehow meaningless? I think it's pretty cool that your character ends up with a bunch of titles just by playing casually, for example, and there are still a lot of things you can only get in the game by being a successful (non-casual) player.

Less 'pandering to the lowest common denominator' more 'putting multiple levels of challenge into a multifaceted game'.

Your review seemed less objective and more 'hey, I played the game for a shorter amount of time than it takes to properly judge it, but I get to talk about how the genre has declined because of the time I spent on it!'

I'm not a rabid fanboy (the reason I link my review in my signature is to prove this), but I do attempt to be objective and I think that it's ridiculous to claim your opinion is valid when you haven't played the game enough for it to be anywhere near that.

This blogger has been one of the most vocal critics of WoW and Blizzard in general. He's the type of player/designer that wants the entire genre shaken up and re-invented. But what I gathered from his review was what many people have been saying: if you are going to copy WoW (nearly spell by spell), at least do it well AND introduce some variation on the themes. And like other SWTOR critics, he acknowledges that the story-driven content is one of the game's bright spots.

I see that I also looked at his previous posts and saw that Everquest was his first MMO and he has been trying to find a replacement ever since. He was even a volunteer guide on Everquest.

The guys just a Everquest fanboy and hasn't liked anything else since.

Not exactly an objective review is it.

You only got to level twenty and you're 'reviewing' the game? You're aware most reviewers at least try to be objective, right? You just took a lot of validity off of anything you have to say because of the incredibly low amount of relative gameplay you have done.

Really? I've found the exact opposite - opportunities for grouping while leveling are plenty and often taken by players on my server, although it gets harder as you level up because there are less people per zone. You wouldn't know that though, since you only played twenty levels (taking the objectivity of this particular statement, once again, into question.).

I've never understood this line of reasoning; because rewards are given to casual players, rewards are somehow meaningless? I think it's pretty cool that your character ends up with a bunch of titles just by playing casually, for example, and there are still a lot of things you can only get in the game by being a successful (non-casual) player.

Less 'pandering to the lowest common denominator' more 'putting multiple levels of challenge into a multifaceted game'.

Your review seemed less objective and more 'hey, I played the game for a shorter amount of time than it takes to properly judge it, but I get to talk about how the genre has declined because of the time I spent on it!'

I'm not a rabid fanboy (the reason I link my review in my signature is to prove this), but I do attempt to be objective and I think that it's ridiculous to claim your opinion is valid when you haven't played the game enough for it to be anywhere near that.

"I have played about 20 levels of SWTOR and this review is by no means complete or comprehensive. It is just my thoughts based on my limited experiences. However, I’ve spent enough time playing MMOs to know if I’m going to like a MMO within short order."