Erked.

Levity

I like to grind reputation. In any MMO, it's just something I enjoyed. Getting all the reputation items + titles etc, etc. So now they put in a new reputation grind which made me excited while I was reading the patch notes... until it said you have to buy cartel packs to gain rep. with that faction. I haven't been on to specifically see if there is any other way, and if there isn't that's pretty depressing.

It's not game breaking. But I will forever feel incomplete since one of the reputation bars will never be at that "Legendary" status I so enjoy to attain since I refuse to pay real money for something that was designed as a time sink.

sadpanda

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like to grind reputation. In any MMO, it's just something I enjoyed. Getting all the reputation items + titles etc, etc. So now they put in a new reputation grind which made me excited while I was reading the patch notes... until it said you have to buy cartel packs to gain rep. with that faction. I haven't been on to specifically see if there is any other way, and if there isn't that's pretty depressing.

It's not game breaking. But I will forever feel incomplete since one of the reputation bars will never be at that "Legendary" status I so enjoy to attain since I refuse to pay real money for something that was designed as a time sink.

sadpanda

Buy them on the GTN and never spend a cent of your real money!

Buy them on the GTN and never spend a cent of your real money!

And can you actually do that? Since all other Rep items are bound.

If you can't trade them... Well, it's pretty sickening how they are allowed to screw over subbed players.

Oh yeah forgot about that lol. But basing my "possible" reputation gains on a hit or miss situation is not favorable to me either haha. Think of the amount of rep. items you need to hit legendary and if those packs are are 150-300k like all the others for "maybe" getting a reputation item... ehhhh xD

And can you actually do that? Since all other Rep items are bound.

If you can't trade them... Well, it's pretty sickening how they are allowed to screw over subbed players.

He meant buying the whole cartel pack, not the individual item.

Pretty disgusting really. Someone explain to me why I'm paying for a sub.

^^^This! i mean really BW? Having to pay real money to advance in this rep a dumb and greedy idea from BW/EA!!

Why was a not in game choice given to get this rep too??

^^^This! i mean really BW? Having to pay real money to advance in this rep a dumb and greedy idea from BW/EA!!

Why was a not in game choice given to get this rep too??

Who knows. They are like beggars sticking out their hand for what little money they can get from the cartel market.

You don't have to have anything from it, just like you don't have to have anything from the Cartel Market. Bioware was good enough to let you sell those things on the GTN and not just forcefully restrict them to your account or even just one character. The vendor is a reward designed specifically at those who spend money at the Cartel Market. If they're spending their real money to get some of these things, throwing them an extra bone that only they can get isn't in any way a bad thing or a "Up yours" to people who don't want to spend their money on the cartel market or their at least 500 coins a month for being a sub on anything from the market.

You don't have to have anything from it, just like you don't have to have anything from the Cartel Market. Bioware was good enough to let you sell those things on the GTN and not just forcefully restrict them to your account or even just one character. The vendor is a reward designed specifically at those who spend money at the Cartel Market. If they're spending their real money to get some of these things, throwing them an extra bone that only they can get isn't in any way a bad thing or a "Up yours" to people who don't want to spend their money on the cartel market or their at least 500 coins a month for being a sub on anything from the market.

So what you are saying is it's a good thing to restrict an element of a game to someone who is paying a subscription fee already? Alright. Makes sense.

I've spent my fair share of real money on the cartel market for fluff items and the like. But it still is bad design to make a game mechanic only achievable by real money.

So they add a load of a new content and prevent people from accessing it unless they pay? Even though many of us pay a sub every month to avoid having to pay to access the game? I don't understand how people can defend this blatant extortion.

I didn't want to jump to conclusions, but if the ONLY way to get rep with this faction is by purchasing those disgusting packs, I'll be done with the CM permanently. I can't support that. I get that the CM is there to make money, but gambling for rep? That tells me that they're testing the water to see just how much they can get away with charging for, and once they start with that, the game is likely doomed.

I didn't want to jump to conclusions, but if the ONLY way to get rep with this faction is by purchasing those disgusting packs, I'll be done with the CM permanently. I can't support that. I get that the CM is there to make money, but gambling for rep? That tells me that they're testing the water to see just how much they can get away with charging for, and once they start with that, the game is likely doomed.

Exactly what I see. This mechanic has p2w all over it. It's small since it is only a reputation thing, but I do agree they are trying it out.

So they add a load of a new content and prevent people from accessing it unless they pay? Even though many of us pay a sub every month to avoid having to pay to access the game? I don't understand how people can defend this blatant extortion.

What company doesn't do that? Do you get to play a Pandaren in WoW without paying? Can you use EQ2 dungeon-maker?

You're setting an arbitrary limit on how you pay for new content. It's easy to defend this move because it's just another more ala carte way to pay for content.

I don't care about wow or any other game and how *they* handle their stuff; I'm paying a sub for this game, called, swtor.

To be honest when I read the description on how to obtain said rep.. I thought what a low blow. I won't support this, BW. Sorry.

What company doesn't do that? Do you get to play a Pandaren in WoW without paying? Can you use EQ2 dungeon-maker?

You're setting an arbitrary limit on how you pay for new content. It's easy to defend this move because it's just another more ala carte way to pay for content.

So... how about we charge you every time you need to get on your speeder? F2p don't get speeders any more, subs do, but you have to pay a quarter every time you want to mount it. I mean, you don't HAVE to use a speeder in this game, you're lucky they even let you have one. If you want that added convenience, you should pay for it. And, I mean, it's just a quarter - I can find that much in my couch. I spend more on Starbucks. It'll probably only cost you like 8.50$ a day in speeder mounting, and come on - that's chump change!

Ok. So a ONE TIME buy of a game, then a one pay subscription fee every month to support the progression of the game should mean you aren't barred from the content they produce. You might be happy swallowing the fact that you can't access part of the game even though you are still paying, even though paying a subscription is supposed to give you full access to the game. The design is bad.

So in WoW after you buy the game + expansions and pay your subscription, can you not go into the game and grind every bit of reputation and game content without paying for it? I do believe so. Bad argument.

Pretty disgusting really. Someone explain to me why I'm paying for a sub.

You're paying for a sub, so you can pay more real cash to increase your new:

Money Spent In Game Gauge - AKA the new rep grind.

The more money you spend, the higher the gauge goes up. How awesome is that! :(

Edited by Quraswren

That about sums it up, I won't be buying cartel packs to earn rep. And even if the rep gifts were not bound ~ I wouldn't buy them off the GTN.

This is wrong BW --- just wrong.

It's nothing that you need and nothing that you need to win. This is very similar to having to pay for a set of armor. The only difference is that you have to buy more packs before buying the armor (or whatever) from the new vendor. If you don't like it, don't spend your money on it.

So... how about we charge you every time you need to get on your speeder? F2p don't get speeders any more, subs do, but you have to pay a quarter every time you want to mount it. I mean, you don't HAVE to use a speeder in this game, you're lucky they even let you have one. If you want that added convenience, you should pay for it. And, I mean, it's just a quarter - I can find that much in my couch. I spend more on Starbucks. It'll probably only cost you like 8.50$ a day in speeder mounting, and come on - that's chump change!

That's a slippery slope fallacy. They aren't charging for each speeder use. When they do, let's talk.

Edited by Master-Nala