Starfighter Analysis: RZ-1 A-Wing Interceptor

Wolfninjajedi

Alright folks am back with the Starfighter threads! Today we shall be looking at the RZ-1 A-Wing Interceptor so lets begin!

=============

"The A-wing is the fastest fighter we have, capable of matching a TIE Interceptor in speed."

―General Carlist Rieekan

The RZ-1 A-wing interceptor was a cockpit attached to twin engines. Like its Clone Wars predecessor, the Eta-2, the A-wing required pilots of exceptional skill to take full advantage of the vessel's speed, agility, and special features. The vessel presented challenges to the Rebel Pilots, having to adjust the two dorsal and two ventral stabilizer wings with care as even a minor turn could send the A-wing spinning, its laser cannons could rotate 60 degrees for greater fire control and some even were modified for 360 degree arc giving a nasty surprise for enemy pilots.

The A-wings were nicknamed "slims" on account of it was a slim chance for a pilot to survive a direct hit once the shields were down and also the small frames and its cramped cockpit preventing larger pilots from flying the A-wing. The A-wings were maintenance-heavy and prone to breakdowns, although the sensor jammers and concussion weapons were effective in lightning raids. Using its impressive straight-line acceleration and advanced jamming package, A-wings were able to hit targets before they could respond, and then flee before any defense could be organized.

============

Schematics of an RZ-1 A-Wing Interceptor= http://images.wikia.com/starwars/images/4/4d/Awing_egvv.jpg

Cost: 175k

Roles: Interceptor

Engines: 2 Novaldex J-77 Event Horizon

Shielding: Sirplex Z-9 deflector shield projector

Hull: Titanium alloy and durasteel outer hull

Max Acceleration: 5,300 G

Max Speed(Atmosphere): 1,300 k/h(can go higher if deflector shield is on)

Hyperdrive Rating: Class 1.0

Sensor/Targeting Systems/Avionics/Navigation/Power Plant: Equipped

Armaments: 2 Borstel RG-9 laser cannons, 2 Dymek HM-6 Concussion Missile launchers, 6 missiles each(standard)

Countermeasures: Miradyne 4x-Phantom- short range sensor jammer, chaff and flare launcher

Crew: 1 pilot

Cargo Capacity: 40 kilos

Consumables: 1 week.

===========

Thoughts: Its a good fighter, a lot faster then the TIE Interceptor thats for sure though like most you would need to utilize its speed to avoid blaster fire. Personally myself, I think I would just stick with the X-wing the A-wing is fast and small but I ain't that crazy to fly one.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Personally, I like the A-Wing. Even though it's small and is destroyed easily, its speed benefitted the Rebellion greatly. The X-Wing just didn't have enough speed to take the TIE Interceptors. I think the A-Wing fulfilled its role quite well.

Good read as usual. :)

Personally, I like the A-Wing. Even though it's small and is destroyed easily, its speed benefitted the Rebellion greatly. The X-Wing just didn't have enough speed to take the TIE Interceptors. I think the A-Wing fulfilled its role quite well.

Good read as usual. :)

While right, the X-wing did make up for its equipment and being a general all-rounder. But yes the A-wing did do nicely for the Rebellion, course the pilots would need to keep on their toes if they wanted to survive.

While right, the X-wing did make up for its equipment and being a general all-rounder. But yes the A-wing did do nicely for the Rebellion, course the pilots would need to keep on their toes if they wanted to survive.

Yeah, the X-Wing is still one of the most balanced fighters out there. But when you need speed, the A-Wing is the best one.

I wonder what it's like being in an A-wing at those speeds...

Yeah, the X-Wing is still one of the most balanced fighters out there. But when you need speed, the A-Wing is the best one.

I wonder what it's like being in an A-wing at those speeds...

With or without inertial dampeners? I can tell you one way your body would be jelly plastered to the back of your seat... The other way I think it would be one heck of a thrill.

• 3 weeks later...
Come on guys lets give the A-Wing some credit here, after all it was an A-Wing that did that kamikaze run on the Executor, destroying it.

Am not putting down the A-Wing, just merely stating I ain't crazy enough to fly one lol. But yes Arvel Crynyd you shall be missed, but at least he got an award and a Star Destroyer named after him.

I like the X-83, myself. It can reach a top speed of 1,200 km/h, got a class 1 hyperdrive, and has an integrated astromech for a navigation computer. They took R2's relationship with Luke's X-wing and turned it into a design feature. And it's only 75,000 credits, used! That ****'s cheap. The X-83 beats the RZ-1 any day of the week.