[GUIDE] PvP Madness Sorcerer

Kamikazie

UPDATED:12/30/2011

This thread is dedicated on the finer aspects of playing the class and how to play it to its fullest. I am not going to claim to know everything about the class or have the best build but everyone should be able to take something out of this guide. Every spec of the sorc is viable for PvP however after extensive testing, Madness is currently the best. The idea behind this guide is so you get an idea for how the spec plays. Then refine it to fit your needs. Star Wars is not a cookie cutter game, no one spec is the best.

In approximately 5 hours using this information I have been in queue for PvP nonstop. In that time I have been under 150k damage once. Over 300k damage twice and averaging 250k damage. To some playing a DPS class as pure damage dealing, be it defending the bomb or killing a ball carrier's healers is not enough. If thats the case your going to hate this guide. Its a pure DPS build to do what we do best. Use extreme prejudice to break peoples things and then kill them. I personally play the hybrid w/ chain lightning due to the fact its usually easy to find 2-3 targets together to hit with it and force storm will reset the cool down. This makes it higher DPS then the pure madness build.

Spec

Hybrid with chain lightning is an DoT AoE focused build. You DoT your target and hit it with chain lightning applying damage to near by enemies. Its not a pure single target build. You stay on the one target and let anyone standing near by take damage.

Hybrid w/ Chain Ligtning

Vecte's Chain Lightning Hybrid

VaenH's Madness

VaenH's Hybrid 1

VaenH's Hybrid 2

Rotation

Hybrid

Open with Force Lightning and move isntantly(Your procing Wrath) > Instant cast Crushing Darkness > Affliction > Death Field(20%dmg increase on DoTs) > Force Lightning > Force Lightning > Force Lightning(Your procing Wrath) > Instant cast Crushing Darkness > Affliction > Death Field > Force Lightning > Force Lightning > Force Lightning

Pure Madness

Open with Force Lightning and move isntantly(Your procing Wrath) > Death Field(20%dmg increase on DoTs) > Creeping Terror > Affliction > Crushing Darkness > Force Lightning > Force Lightning > Force Lightning(Your procing Wrath) > Death Field(20%dmg increase on DoTs) > Creeping Terror > Affliction > Crushing Darkness > Force Lightning > Force Lightning > Force Lightning

NOTE: Creeping terror is a 2 second stun and will add 500 resolve to the target. After 1 more stun/cc/knock back they will be immune to all further attempts till it wears off. ~15-20 seconds.

Tactics

IMPORTANT: Make your self an unattractive/hard target. Do not sit where people can easily reach you. Sit on the edge so a force leap up to you they will fall down instead of land on the platform. Do not be the person that is 20 yard ahead of everyone else or be the person in the front. You have 30m range... take full advantage of it. That said do not sit at 29m and the person backs up out of range. Aim for about 15-20.

Extrication is the most powerful skill you have in huttball. Pull the alli 30m to you. Be that the endzone or up on the platform after he gets knocked off.

Recklessness to cause 2 force lightnings to be crits

Chain Lightning(Insert Lightning Strike until you get Chain Lightning) when Wrath procs and Crushing Darkness is on CD.

Electrocute to prevent a person from running away also to stun melee

Overload to knock-back melee

Whirlwind to cc a healer

Jolt to interrupt some high dmg channel or self heal

Purge to remove negative effects

Force slow on a huttball carrier, melee charging you or enemy who is fleeing

Force Speed after stunning a melee to get range fast.

Obviously you want to have your DoTs up on your target but it is not worth having them up on everyone. Just do your target.

Crushing Darkness is an AoE so when your target dies look for who already has the debuff and DoT them. If you find someone with the debuff that's a 20% dmg increase on the DoT's ticks.

Recklessness does not affect DoTs. It will make Crushing Darkness's initial dmg crit but the ticks will be normal chance to crit. its worth saving it for the Force Lightning.

IMPORTANT: Be mindful of where you do overload. The idea is to knock them off something or back in such a way they can not just run straight to you. Best example is huttball. Knock them off the ledge you have a 30m range... use it.

Another tip for those rolling a Sorcerer of any spec. Positioning is huge, like the OP mentioned, use his tips but also make full use of any pilliars/boxes/walls to LOS any other ranged or melee who would try to close a gap on you. Position yourself so you can attack your target(s) and stay LOS of others.

A few screenshots for everyone to show im not just talking out my ears. Video coming soon.

http://www.lukewalsh.net/images/Screenshot_2011-12-22_19_27_17_325399.jpg

http://www.lukewalsh.net/images/Screenshot_2011-12-22_16_30_24_094357.jpg

PvP on Youtube(Better Video)

PvP on Youtube 2

Last but not least I am on Tarro Blood name is "Kami" feel free to send me a mail or PST questions.

Edited by Kamikazie

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are tons of threads floating around saying how bad the class is at PvP because of various reasons such as we have to constantly move and melee is unbeatable.

Really? Where are you reading this? If anything all the melee are complaining about casters and ranged. As far as madness being weakin PvP, I'm specced madness and I know for a fact it isn't. Appreciate the guide but this first part kinda threw me off guard.

As far as the rest, it is spot on. I play my madness Inq exactly like a Shadow priest, build up your procs, dot and mind flay (force lightening), keep shield up at ALL times, if you get focused then shield, sprint, find a safe spot, heal, get back in the game. :D

Edited by Madgecko

Just on the Sorcerer forums, 3 threads on the first page alone. Other than that though you're absolutely right there is nothing wrong with Sorc PvP, and it's all just inexperience or build confusion.

I can understand some issues with immobility of lightening but madness? A boy oh boy if anyone has experience with a shadow priest will love this spec!:D

Really? Where are you reading this? If anything all the melee are complaining about casters and ranged. As far as madness being weakin PvP, I'm specced madness and I know for a fact it isn't. Appreciate the guide but this first part kinda threw me off guard.

As far as the rest, it is spot on. I play my madness Inq exactly like a Shadow priest, build up your procs, dot and mind flay (force lightening), keep shield up at ALL times, if you get focused then shield, sprint, find a safe spot, heal, get back in the game. :D

Its just on the sorc forums that people are complaining. Melee will always complain about ranged just as we complain about melee. If a melee does not close the gap hes going to get destroyed. If he closes the gap the ranged will get destroyed... generally. It comes down to how well can he play his class and you yours.

The pvp spec in the codec is how I role.

http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#201hZf00MZcMfRsMkrfz.1

I recommend that spec if your looking for another DoT to bleed them out. However you lose the Chain Lightning which is perfectly fine but the force lightning procing wrath will easily be wasted unless you reinsert Lightning strike which is even on insta cast lower dps then force lighting. Like I said though you pick up that extra DoT which is also a 2 second stun... so its just a trade off. However well done on that talent tree.

Edited by Kamikazie

Thanks for this. My PvP experience with my Sorc has been World PvP only. The lack of mobility has definitely been a sort of issue for me. Unless I'm proccing with my lightning build I can have some issues. My alt is a Sniper. I was talking to a heal specced Sorc in warzones about how he liked them in PvP. He said he loved it and had tried all 3 specs. He recommended Madness for PvP as well.

After seeing this I might have to respec. My only experience with a Shadow Priest was messing around on my buddies back when WoW first came out lol. I ran a Shaman.

My Sniper has been great fun in warzones. I've got to try my Sorc.

Good guide, I've been running a Madness pvp spec the last couple of days but I'm only 25.

When I hit 50 in the next week or two I'll be playing around with a chain lightning or creeping terror build to see which I find more appealing.

Since I went madness and got deathfield + force slow (especially this), I've topped damage, kills, healing in literally every WZ I've played while also maintaining the fewest deaths. Ususally 0-2 per game.

Kiting melee in this game as madness is a joke, I can take on 2 melee at once easily if I have my "trinket" and stun up.

My main in WoW is a Shadow Priest which I've played at 2400 mmr levels in Arenas so that probably helps alot since the gameplay is similar. Also played an affliction lock at similair levels.

Another tip for those rolling a Sorcerer of any spec. Positioning is huge, like the OP mentioned, use his tips but also make full use of any pilliars/boxes/walls to LOS any other ranged or melee who would try to close a gap on you. Position yourself so you can attack your target(s) and stay LOS of others.

The pvp spec in the codec is how I role.

Do you find there are any specific additional tactics in PvP with this build aside from the ones the OP of this thread mentioned for his build? Your base rotation with that build is similar?

I'm also PvP'ing with that build from the codex (38 atm), but the tactics elaborated on by the OP in this thread look like they'll help me do better. Have only been pulling about 150K dps but I do see sorcs doing 250-300+K consistently.

Rotation

Open with Force Lightning and move isntantly(Your procing Wrath) > Instant cast Crushing Darkness > Affliction > Death Field(20%dmg increase on DoTs) > Force Lightning > Force Lightning > Force Lightning(Your procing Wrath) > Instant cast Crushing Darkness > Affliction > Death Field > Force Lightning > Force Lightning > Force Lightning

Does Death Field retroactively apply to the dots you cast before it? If not, you'll probably want to lay down Death Field first, and then do the single tick of Force Lightning into CD > Affliction.

Edited by Onager

Do you find there are any specific additional tactics in PvP with this build aside from the ones the OP of this thread mentioned for his build? Your base rotation with that build is similar?

I'm also PvP'ing with that build from the codex (38 atm), but the tactics elaborated on by the OP in this thread look like they'll help me do better. Have only been pulling about 150K dps but I do see sorcs doing 250-300+K consistently.

The only thing is just insert the DoT to the rotation and its a 2 second stun. I would apply the debuff before one of the DoTs probably do affliction, crushing, the other 2 dots. Also make sure you replace chain lightning with something like lightning strike so you have the instacast burst and wrath does not go to waste.

Does Death Field retroactively apply to the dots you cast before it? If not, you'll probably want to lay down Death Field first, and then do the single tick of Force Lightning into CD > Affliction.

Yes however its only to what ticks on the dots after death field is applied. It is an insta cast and as such wont consume wrath so you could in theory hit it before the dots, however since most targets die fast. Its better to DoT first then debuff.

Edited by Kamikazie

OP, what happened at the start of your video? You ran straight into a swarm of enemy players and got your *** kicked all the way into the next galaxy. Why did you do that? You got cocky and paid the price for it.

Actually I play a 4 man premade team and running in is to grab the ball and throw it to the left side to a sith assassin who is waiting. He and a juggernaut run it in for a 1min 22 second first cap. Our record is a 26 second first cap and can win a 6 cap in 3 mins 52 seconds.

There is another thread coming about huttball and different tactics and strats, however the assassin and the sorc are the two best ball carriers due to sprint and force speed. That said its only the initial retrieval and obstacle avoidance. The Juggernaut for example can force jump up to the goal line or platform and gain a significant lead. He has heavy armor where as the SI has cloth so they die easier then he does. There are pros and cons to everything.

Force speed can let you recover off the bat or the increased speed you can actually jump over the fire in certain places.

Edited by Kamikazie

the force lightning procing wrath will easily be wasted unless you reinsert Lightning strike which is even on insta cast lower dps then force lighting.

When does this become the case? I am currently level 32, and using instant cast lightning strike during wrath when crushing darkness is on cooldown appears to be an increase in dps over simply continuing to force lightning.

completely ridiculous spec.

IGNORE THIS. Whoever this is.....he is completely clueless. You DONT pass on instant whirlwind or the top talent IN madness FEAR !!!!

Use this spec instead people. Lingering nightmares in the madness tree is optional and can be replaced if you like.

Edited by Zkank

What stats are you stacking for this build? (Alacrity, crit, etc) ??

I have not looked into the stats too hard yet as Im still mid 40s. There is going to be a point of diminishing returns... again I dont know what that is. For PvP I am looking at alacrity and expertise. The small bits of testing so far seems to indicate that 6 points of expertise is a .25% damage/healing increase. The increase in cast speed is nice and will yield damage faster. I can say gear wise since there's no enchants gems or reforgeing. I am going to pick up the Champion bags for 200 merc and 200 warzone commendations. They yield a chance at gear when opened plus commendations to actually buy the specific gear you want. Crafting is also nice too but takes a lot of time to get the stats you want. Which would probably be Vehemence(+Power, +Alacrity) or Supremacy(+Critical, +Alacrity).

When does this become the case? I am currently level 32, and using instant cast lightning strike during wrath when crushing darkness is on cooldown appears to be an increase in dps over simply continuing to force lightning.

What you are seeing is burst damage. My Lightning strike is 870-941 damage on a 1.47 activation. Assuming I hit for 941 it comes out to be 640 dps. Force Lightning is 2146 over 2.94 seconds with a 50% slow that can not be removed and comes out to 748 dps. Its really situational. If the guy will clear your 30m range I hit Lightning strike to get that last bit of damage. I would say if your chasing someone but you wont really be able to stop to reproc wrath to get your next crushing off.

completely ridiculous spec.

IGNORE THIS. Whoever this is.....he is completely clueless. You DONT pass on instant whirlwind or the top talent IN madness FEAR !!!!

Use this spec instead people. Lingering nightmares in the madness tree is optional and can be replaced if you like.

Whirlwind is a joke skill to begin with. Its highly situational and a magnet to idiots. I hit you with whirlwind, its broken the first time you get affected by anything. With the amount of AoEs in this game, its not worth it. Not to mention people who are looking for an easy kill(EVERYONE) who will break the CC knowing he will kill you and they can kill him. Beginner players who dont know its a CC and just want to wail on something. Bottom line its great if you know it will not take damage or be affected by anything.... OH YEAH almost forgot... Its not like EVERY CLASS has a BREAK STUN/CC ability. Cause I get hit by whirlwind its not like I click unbreakable will and lol as I continue to kill.

also you dont open with Force Lighting. You use death field so all you following dots will benefit from the 20% damage increase death field gives.

Please write your own guide to madness then. Don't come in here and slam me because I am teaching the basics of the class... its just unbecoming. However to debunk your argument...

You could open with death field for 1072-1113 damage to everyone in an 8 meter circle. Applying the debuff to them and then DoT away. However without Wrath procced I am casting Crushing Darkness on a 1.96 second activation. That intial 1072-1113 hit from the AoE is ~8-12% of some ones health. It will get their attention. So while they now realize im there and targeting them, closing the gap to beat in my face I am casting a 1.96 second activation. Then hitting affliction on the GCD(Global Cool Down). Now I can Force Lightning... So I am now 3.96 seconds into a fight and starting to cast my bread and butter skill Force Lightning. This is assuming 0 lag/latency and that everything happens exactly when its supposed to theres no LoS issues etc. However we all know in a live server environment theres always latency and then server lag. So what should be 3.96 is really 5-7 sseconds total. because remember when you hit a skill it has to go to the server be processed and sent to their client. Its a continually updating process.

However... My way to do it is channeling Force Lighting at 748dps until wrath procs drop crushing darkness and affliction and usually just say screw death field unless its going to take more then 10 seconds to kill them. Its very situational, some times I will use death fields instant cast 1k dmg as a finisher when I dont want to channel 3 seconds to do it. Death field applies a 20% damage increase to your dots. Crushing darkness is base 195 dps with CD its 234, an increase of 39. Affliction is a joke at 56 base increase to 67 extra yield is 12. So with Crushing Darkness you get an extra 51 DPS. Total DoT DPS is base 251 with crushing darkness 301. Remember that Crushing is a 15 second cool down and a 6 second burn. Factoring that into the DPS were at a new DPS of 78 per cast cycle and affliction is 56. So the DoTs only add ~134 DPS per rotation. Force Lightning however is sitting at 748 DPS. What you gain in applying the DoTs you lose in DPS from Force Lightning.

Now my argument just said DONT use DoTs is what some people will think. The nature of PvP is to try and "steal kills" as some people would put it. So when a target takes damage more often then not everyone is killing it. Moving to the next target. General rule of thumb is that you need to be hitting a target for 14 seconds to make it worth applying the DoTs. If the targets going to get nuked, just slap it with force lightning, proc wrath lightning strike rinse repeat insert death field as an insta cast 1k damage but know that it may be on CD when you need it.

Also worth noting. Force Storm is ticking for me at ~200-300 damge per second for 6 seconds to all targets in an 8 meter circle. This will ultimately be more DPS and a crowd pleaser to groups of 3 or more. I call it the crowd pleaser because their healers hate it, everyone usually stands in it trying to kill whoever it is they are focused on and the damage it does is significant when you consider that the group of 6 I and another sorc hit with it last night fighting on the door to arm the bomb were pretty much soloed by this move. Its extremely situational, not affected by recklessness and will destroy large groups quickly as it outpaces healers. If you run premades and you have melee tell him to hold everyone in it. Pop some damage reduction cool downs soak the damage and beat people in the face. This skill is not ment to be an insta win by it self. you need buddies around to do damage, it just applies good DPS o large groups forceing healers to spread heals. If theres no healers it just brings down the next target that much more so when one dies the next may be 50-80% hp instead of 100% and already spent a cooldown trying to reduce damage or get out of it.

Edited by Qishari
quoted insults

Ok thanks for your reply. Personally I was looking at crit since so many of our talents benefit from or enhance our crit already. The thing I was not sure of is when the diminishing returns would kick in on it. The issue I had with alacrity is it seems we don't get any bonuses to it from anything besides our gear (unless I am missing something, please correct me if I am wrong), which makes me think we wouldn't be able to get it up as high enough to make it compete with the crit we could obtain.