Shadow/Assassin in PVP

Rash_in

Hey all,

I main a Shadow/Assassin (Infiltration/deception) and have been PvPing alot in regs. I find that I spend most of my time either node guarding, or helping out with mid fights rather than taking others down personally with DPS. (interupts, stuns, slows, knockbacks, peeling etc). The focus has always leaned toward gaining more situational awareness in fights to help determine the outcome. Would it be easier if I switched specs from DPS to tank and just adding taunts into the mix? I have never really tanked PvP before. (I can tank SM/HM Ops/FPs/Uprisings no prob). I have been toying with the idea, but haven't really committed. As always, advice is appreciated.

Dulfy rates the shadow tank as the best pvp tank atm, so if you're interested in tanking it's def worth checking out. I actually use a infiltration shadow and like it very much. i'm usually one of the top dps when i'm not guarding, and that 4sec soft stun every 15 secs comes in very handy, esp if you need to force-lift someone and don't have the insta utility. the trick is not fighting in the mid of a fight if u can help it, stick on the edges and attack and cc the healers. one major drawback I noticed when I tried out the tank spec is that all the random gear drop u get from cxp boxes will all be defensive gear if you're in tank spec, so if you're planning on using a shank tank gear is going to be a bit tricky...

Dulfy rates the shadow tank as the best pvp tank atm, so if you're interested in tanking it's def worth checking out. I actually use a infiltration shadow and like it very much. i'm usually one of the top dps when i'm not guarding, and that 4sec soft stun every 15 secs comes in very handy, esp if you need to force-lift someone and don't have the insta utility. the trick is not fighting in the mid of a fight if u can help it, stick on the edges and attack and cc the healers. one major drawback I noticed when I tried out the tank spec is that all the random gear drop u get from cxp boxes will all be defensive gear if you're in tank spec, so if you're planning on using a shank tank gear is going to be a bit tricky...

So get into dps spec then open the boxes, not a major problem :p

My thought was more of a mindset type of thinking. If I am using nothing but tactics to determine the outcome of a fight, would it make more sense to go tank instead of dps. I found that if I am playing objectives (NC for example) if I am in mid defending the node from the enemy horde by using slows, roots, knockbacks, ect, to keep cap, would there be more value in switching specs and adding taunts or if DPS would still be the way to go?

As a DPS, I find that when guarding a heavy objective with many enemies, I am attracting a LOT of attention since I am focused on preventing the cap. Added survivability would definitely be a benefit, but adding protection into the mix, would I also be taking away from the guarding mindset since I would have to keep track of enemy threats against team mates.

In all honesty, I never really cared for keeping DPS stats up so long as we win a match and I have been valuable in holding the line where ever I am placed. I like playing support but don't want to detract from that by looking at other factors more.

when it comes down to it, the tactics really depends on the situation. In some situations it's more important to be able to survive longer, in other situations it'll be more important to be able to kill others quickly. a lot of it will also depend on your teammates. if you have a team with one healer and no tank, you'll prob be pretty useful as tank. if you're in a group that's already half tanks and/or healers, then you'll prob be more useful as a burst dps. both can be very useful, so unless you're trying to fill a roll with a group of friends, i'd say just go with whatever one you enjoy more :)

As you say tank spec should fit more with your style. I main a tank sin with DPS gear and have a lot of survaivility and good DPS. I strongly recommend you to read the Dulffy guide as somebody told you before.

Wear in mind that the tank spec not only adds taunts to a DPS spec, but also has more tools to combat suppport, ie an AOE slow, another 2 seconds hard stun, an amazing pull, a 45% shielding capacity, a 50% reflecting damage DCD, a 20% healing debuff for enemies and more stuff I can't remember now.

Another important thing is that clever enemies won't tunnel you so you will have more freedom to move and you will stay in the middle of the fray for longer time.

Remember that as a tank your main role is not letting the other specs do their roles: not letting the DPS do DPS, the healers heal and tanks tank (obvious), so don't let melee DPS reach their target, separate healers from the tanks that are guarding them, mezzing and knocking back ranged DPS so they cant find advantageous positions,etc etc etc.

Have fun and enjoy your new tank way of life :D

AcrA

The Infiltration Shadow / Deception Sin is so much more then a node guard and a pack fighter. When you get really good at it you become a one man army and a master of puppets.

Whatever you do for the love of god do NOT try the Darkness/Kinetic Combat spec it's a disgrace to the Sin/Shadow class as whole and will do you nothing more but nerfing your brain.

Edited by Gray

Whatever you do for the love of god do NOT try the Darkness/Kinetic Combat spec it's a disgrace to the Sin/Shadow class as whole and will do nothing more but nerfing your brain.

Can you give me an example as to why? I mean I have used shadow/sin as a tank before (PvE) and never thought of it as a disgrace. So far you are the first person I have encountered to say something like that so I am curious.

Can you give me an example as to why? I mean I have used shadow/sin as a tank before (PvE) and never thought of it as a disgrace. So far you are the first person I have encountered to say something like that so I am curious.

I am refering to using said spec for PvP. the tank spec is easy to play and completely changes the class from a skill based & fast paced class into a mindless drone who does nothing more then slowing down the game by alot with almost zero effort put into it.

You won't evolve as a player by playing that spec at all, it's a trap. I could pop you a stream some day and show you what the Deception Assassin / Infiltration Shadow is capable of if you want.

Edited by Gray