How does Bioware decide which class needs nerfed

cool-dude

Hopefully someone from Bioware will jump in and answer this question, but would be happy to hear from someone who knows. Do they nerf based on player feedback, or do they nerf based on their own calculations and judgements?

I'm just interested in knowing.

Thanks!

they will probably 'look' at testing numbers in more detail from player feedback, but they dont not balance the game on said feedback.

they have internal metrics that measure the performance of the classes and do balances based on those numbers and their idea for how well(or poor) those classes perform in general(not specifically a warzone and not specifically a flashpoint).

Hopefully someone from Bioware will jump in and answer this question, but would be happy to hear from someone who knows. Do they nerf based on player feedback, or do they nerf based on their own calculations and judgements?

Thanks!

I e-mail them a list of your preferred classes to play at the moment and...voila!

well Georg Zeller's main philosophy was...

is it an operative? if yes... NERF IT!!!

is it a marauder.. if yes... BUFF IT!!!

make random non-sensical changes to other classes for good measure.

Now that he is gone we will have to wait and see what they do for future balance changes.

A mix of metrics (Healer nerfs and Melee buffs) and community feedback (Operative/Scoundrel nerfs).

Also, one man's meat is another man's poison. I don't understand why a lot of people don't understand that.

well Georg Zeller's main philosophy was...

is it an operative? if yes... NERF IT!!!

is it a marauder.. if yes... BUFF IT!!!

Guess we know who played the operative. :) The DPS classes had zero survivability. Not sure about the operatives, but all I knew was DPS was extraordinarily difficult for me pre- "buff".

Edited by SWJon

Thanks!

did they ever told u b4 they going to do?

No,

just like old pvp comms,

they just change it by their will and dont care about ur opinion.

Does their metrics involve flipping a coin?

no. they throw darts at a list of classes.... unfortunately the dart board its self has the word Operative written on it so no matter what they hit operative/scoundrel will get nerfed.

I thought they all wore vests with the class names on them and ran away from one person that was shooting at them with a nerf gun .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wUHgitvHvs&feature=related Edited by Tuscad

A mix of metrics (Healer nerfs and Melee buffs) and community feedback (Operative/Scoundrel nerfs).

Also, one man's meat is another man's poison. I don't understand why a lot of people don't understand that.

The only feedback they listen to are whining. Constructive feedback shown on PTS forum was not even answered.

For the last patch (1.3), they only answered to 2 topics.

I see people are taking the opportunity to bash bioware by over simplifying the process of nerfing/buffing characters. Metrics yes, but it is much deeper than that.

First of all if the majority of players complain about a class, nine times out of ten there is a problem (when there is smoke there is fire). people just cry that they are catering to crybabies when in reality they are addressing a common problem. Just because you don't agree does'nt mean the problem does'nt exist.

That is the problem with the community in MMO's, they think the world revolves around them. I don't always agree with the majority always, but if my character gets nerfed/buffed, I have to deal with it.

You also have to take into consideration that PvP is different from PvE. The roles are the same but the combat is more dynamic, so balance is harder with PvP, PvE is simpler because the computer will always do the same thing and is controlled and predictable. A scrubby Marauder and a Pro Marauder will not always do the same thing and the results are significant.

Balancing is hard, give credit where credit is due. People complain about the crybabies; i ask those same people to give consistant feedback that argues againts the opposing position so that it would benifit the developers and help them make the right choices.

Simply saying "L2P" does'nt help anyone. All it does is boast your ego.

I see people are taking the opportunity to bash bioware by over simplifying the process of nerfing/buffing characters. Metrics yes, but it is much deeper than that.

First of all if the majority of players complain about a class, nine times out of ten there is a problem (when there is smoke there is fire). people just cry that they are catering to crybabies when in reality they are addressing a common problem. Just because you don't agree does'nt mean the problem does'nt exist.

That is the problem with the community in MMO's, they think the world revolves around them. I don't always agree with the majority always, but if my character gets nerfed/buffed, I have to deal with it.

You also have to take into consideration that PvP is different from PvE. The roles are the same but the combat is more dynamic, so balance is harder with PvP, PvE is simpler because the computer will always do the same thing and is controlled and predictable. A scrubby Marauder and a Pro Marauder will not always do the same thing and the results are significant.

Balancing is hard, give credit where credit is due. People complain about the crybabies; i ask those same people to give consistant feedback that argues againts the opposing position so that it would benifit the developers and help them make the right choices.

Simply saying "L2P" does'nt help anyone. All it does is boast your ego.

Pvp will never be balanced, it is impossible to do with the current model. One or two classes will always be OP and several will always be crap. It is disheartening to get a nerf bat when you don't even partake in pvp, so your pve game gets to suffer but alas that's the way it goes in mmo's.